DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-25-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Frank Beard

...is fun to listen to. He is isn't too technical, but he is with ZZTop, he must rule!!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Frank Beard...

You can't hate on Frank Beard... ZZ Top is a very tight band and as we all know the most important ingredient is a good drummer. In fact, I remember an Interview with Billy Gibbons where he said that keeping time is one of the main things he focuses on in the band, so Frank must be able to keep up or I'm sure they could have found someone else...
Old 09-26-2005, 01:57 AM

Frank Beard is the man, i got to see ZZ Top play live awhile back and Frank Beard, IN FACT! HAS NO BEARD! i know im just as shocked as you, lol however on Cheap Sunglasses Frank kicks some serious ass, Tush simple yet powerful and LaGrange awsome shuffle and playing on the rims sounds so cool, sharped dress men agian not hard but still fun 2 play...
Old 09-26-2005, 04:00 AM

Frank Beard never had a beard. He was always more of a mustache man. But it is immposible so hate Frank Beard. He is another Phil Rudd in the sense that they aren't really techniqul and don't do anything too fancy. But it always fits with the song perfect. I was going to go to ZZ Top at the Ohio State Fair but didn't have the money. I was soo dissabpointed.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Yep, awesome power groover, best heard on Cheap Sunglasses, and that 'my name is beard but i'm the only one without a beard' irony never, ever fails to raise a smile
Old 07-03-2006, 12:41 AM

Cheap Sunglasses is one of my all time favorites. I love Beard's overall cymbal sound. Mostly Paiste 2oo2s I think. And those hats on Cheap Sunglasses just rule! 2oo2 sound-edges I believe.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:22 AM

if nothing else beard's groove and 1st drum break in la grange,his mastery of shuffles and the groove on "heard it on the x" are pretty memorable among others...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo61
Frank Beard never had a beard. He was always more of a mustache man. But it is immposible so hate Frank Beard. He is another Phil Rudd in the sense that they aren't really techniqul and don't do anything too fancy. But it always fits with the song perfect. I was going to go to ZZ Top at the Ohio State Fair but didn't have the money. I was soo dissabpointed.
He did have a beard a long time ago.

Some favorite FB grooves (song title, album) that I recommend checking out:
Just Got Paid – Rio Grand Mud
Whisky’n Mama – Rio Grand Mud
Precious and Grace – Tres Hombres
Back Door Medley - Fandango
Manic Mechanic – Deguello (its just a paradiddle!)
Ten Foot Pole – El Loco

None of this stuff is crazy-complicated but defenatley a few steps beyond the Phil Rudd comparisons (a adore Phil Rudd, btw)
Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumzealot
Manic Mechanic – Deguello (its just a paradiddle!)
Although the paradiddle is very prominent, it isn't the only groove used in the song. He also uses some shuffles and other funky grooves. Manic Mechanic is one of those songs which is very complex in it's simplicty. Each of the parts that make up the song are simple in and of themselves, but they way they are arranged and played is what makes the music. Most of ZZ Top's music is like that. For a ZZ Top song that features the paradiddle even more prominently check out Avalon Hideaway from the Tejas album.

Frank Beard is probably my personal favorite drummer. Like others have said, he isn't the most technical guy out there, but the man sure knows how to lay down some grooves, and really is the backbone of the band. Songs from the Eliminator album were the first drum parts I ever learned, and I still keep going back to ZZ Top's music for that simple complexity.

edit- Frank Beard also has used some of the coolest looking kits I've ever seen.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM

It's so cool to see a thread on Frank Beard [even if he doesn't have a beard].

"Heard it on the X" & "Cheap Sunglasses" are excellent examples of how cool his drumming is and how funky he is!

So cool listening to old school ZZ Top and having a couple of beers...

Enjoy.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Waitin 'for the bus-Jesus left Chicago is one of my all time fav's. Now if I only could get hold of a tab for the fill after the 1'st verse of La Grange life would be good. Anyone?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:05 PM

And a real nice guy. Back in the 90's lived in the same area with him had a nice spread called Top 40, had a ball daimond on it used to let the kids play there. Ran into him at the local circle K buying a pack of smokes. He had a great car collection too, seen him every now and then driving around the area in a hot rod, he would give you a wave.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Guinness

Frank is the man. The guy has a powerful groove. I have always admired his playing, especially on La Grange. ZZ Top is a great band.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Frank Beard

On techincality: He may not inject many technical ideas into the songs (partly because its uncalled for) but he DEFINITELY has technical precision. He has a very stong groove and a great sense of dynamics, something you dont normally get with rock drummers.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 AM

if he never did another thing that shuffle on "la grange" would have been a career high. i always thought i heard some overdubs(or double-tracking) on that tune,though.a nybody know how to get a transcription? killin' shuffle...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM

The thing about Frank Beard that took me a little while to learn myself is as a musician not just a drummer you play music! Too much on drums or not enough can ruin a good song! ZZ TOP is a three piece band and if you have not had the experience playing in a three piece then you have not realized how much drive it takes to play in one! I have and it is not easy to play in at times. Frank is underated as a drummer and deserves a lot more credit as a drummer then what he has generally received from people and that is the truth! Charlie on drums with the Rolling Stones another good example of musicianship on the drums. Ringo Star with the Beatles is another as well! Drumming is about the music and what the song calls for to play not just a lot of flashy drum notes played to "wow" the audience or impress them!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Awesome drummer. Seen him live. Check out the last ZZ Top album Mescalero. Very good album imo.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 AM

Sorry...a little thread revival action here.

I'm learning 'Heard it on the X' this Sunday afternoon (just getting the groove nailed, the rest can wait). Wowza -- it's even more infectious to play than to listen to, if that's possible.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM

i get to see zz top on the last night of the houston rodeo. no i personaly dont enjoy the rodeo or anything like that but its zz top so i have to go. i cant wait!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:27 AM

hey, does anyone here have any idea what frank beard ate for breakfast today? i'm making a memory book for him adn i want to be able to include everything. i don't want to miss anything! so if anyone knows that would be awesome. oh, and if you know what kind of shampoo he uses that'd be great too. i know his deodorant and his toothpast but i can only get so much information.
thanks, guys! let me know if you want a copy of the memory book. i did all the decoupage myself. it's really cute!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:55 AM

I have a passing interest in this band "ZZ-Top" as my wife has been known to play their music while washing our oldsmobile wearing short shorts and a cut off shirt.

Personally, I'm a scientist, and I don't know much about the percussion instruments, but I do know a lot about the metabolic process.

In answer to your question sexy Whitney (a misnomer, for "whitney" is a mans name, and men are scientifically incapable of being sexy), Yes most likely Frank beard had breakfast. Most people, animals included, eat breakfast. It is how the metabloic system, or metabolism, gets its daily dose of riboflavin. I already know what you're thinking, WHAT did he have for breakfast.

If we track the flow chart found at THIS LOCATION we find that beared men between the ages of 40-55 have a difficult time digesting egg without following it down with 4 boxes of cereal. Seeing as how Mr. Frank Beard has been having this style of breakfast for years, it is safe to assume that he took his cost dividends (approx $23.50/breakfast) and spent the total sum on something of equal value, yet less mass in order to save time and highlight his personal extravagance, by getting less but paying more.

a quick google search of "$23.50 breakfast" returns the "garden breakfast at thousand cranes" which includes Served with Fresh Orange Juice, Fresh Fruits, Steamed vegetable, Boiled Fish, Japanese Style Poached Egg, Dried Seaweed, Steamed Rice, Miso Soup, and Japanese Pickles.

Through the use of science, we can deduce that he had a pleasent Asian themed breakfast.

As for the shampoo, I do remember a folk tale from my youth where it was fortold the true beared wonder would bathe in the blood of his enemies children, for the beared wonders hair was from satan. Do you believe in Frank Beard? if you do, then you also believe he bathes in childrens blood

Scientifically yours dude
Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 AM

yo what the hell is up with these last two posts?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
yo what the hell is up with these last two posts?
Look at the post count LOL

TROLLS.

hehe!
Mike
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytmale View Post
......we find that beared men between the ages of 40-55 have a difficult time digesting egg without following it down with 4 boxes of cereal.....

.....I do remember a folk tale from my youth where it was fortold the true beared wonder would bathe in the blood of his enemies children, for the beared wonders hair was from satan.....
yeah....but he hasnt got a beard......OOOH the IRONY the IRONY!!!!

ZZ Top scare me for that very reason...do you think it was premeditated?:"Hey frank man,sine your names Frank Beard,I think we should grow huge beards, except you....it would be so,like,ironic man...."
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReX View Post
Sorry...a little thread revival action here.

I'm learning 'Heard it on the X' this Sunday afternoon (just getting the groove nailed, the rest can wait). Wowza -- it's even more infectious to play than to listen to, if that's possible.

Just had to learn this goove myself too. Damn it is FUN!! How did you approach it? Are you going full left hand on the snare. Those shuffle accents are a biiiaaatch!! I'm comming off the hihat to accent with the right hand sometimes but that's a bit more difficult to do when on the ride cymbal... but not impossible.

What a cool, hard-drivin' groove!