DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Remo Powersonic vs. Evans EMAD

I've played on my friends evans EMAD and it is really really nice. However I have recently seen the powersonic. The videos i've seen and reviews i've read have all been great and i think it looks awesome. What do you think is better? Any ideas on which one i should choose to get?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Remo Powersonic vs. Evans EMAD

I would personally get a Superkick 2. However, I have played an EMAD and Powersonic on my kit.

Powersonic was terrible. I took it off in just a matter of days. Still have it. The EMAD blows it away.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Although I haven't used it, the powersonic just looks cheap in comparison. Rather then rings that go around the edges, it's got a big thing that clips on to the bottom of the head near the kick pedal. It just seems like a branded (and more expensive way) of doing the old 'rolled up towel between pedal and head as muffling' trick.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:25 PM

What was so terrible about the powersonic?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM

I have the powersonic and its the best Out of the two
Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Big_Philly

I've seen a presentation of the powersonic about a month before it was released in Holland, and it sounded really good! And it wasn't in a good concert hall or anything, though there was a lot of crowd absorbing the noise.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Where remo has plenty choice in tom heads, evans has more to offer in bass and snare heads.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Pioneer Member

I have a clear EMAD...I can't recommend this thing. It's quite expensive and doesn't do anything different than other bass heads. It's got a plastic attack sound and the difference in the two foam rings is barely noticable. I have the foam ring in and a pillow in the bass and it still is quite big and boomy sounding but with an annoying plastic clicky sound for the attack(this is with felt beaters..the only kind I use). Without the foam rings, the head just has a bad tone so you'll want to keep them on. I've played on kits with Pinstripe, Powersonic3, g2 clear on basses that sound better than the EMAD on mine. I like an open sound but not when this was supposed to be the magic head that allowed you a variety of sounds without trouble like it advertises. The whole point of buying it was so that if I wanted an open sound I could take out the ring, and put it back when I wanted a tighter sound. Well, that isn't the case. I'm going to just use a coated single ply head from now on and muffle it the old fashioned way with felts and whatnot. It's much cheaper than relying on these fancy new heads that aren't all what they claim to be. I have played on a kit that had a great bass sound, it had a Powerstroke (or sonic..I'm not to familiar with all the names)3 on the batter. It was the clear kind with the little stripe running around it. Nice fat, open sound here, even on a vintage Slingerland bass. (22x14).
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I have a clear EMAD...I can't recommend this thing. It's quite expensive and doesn't do anything different than other bass heads. It's got a plastic attack sound and the difference in the two foam rings is barely noticable. I have the foam ring in and a pillow in the bass and it still is quite big and boomy sounding but with an annoying plastic clicky sound for the attack(this is with felt beaters..the only kind I use). Without the foam rings, the head just has a bad tone so you'll want to keep them on. I've played on kits with Pinstripe, Powersonic3, g2 clear on basses that sound better than the EMAD on mine. I like an open sound but not when this was supposed to be the magic head that allowed you a variety of sounds without trouble like it advertises. The whole point of buying it was so that if I wanted an open sound I could take out the ring, and put it back when I wanted a tighter sound. Well, that isn't the case. I'm going to just use a coated single ply head from now on and muffle it the old fashioned way with felts and whatnot. It's much cheaper than relying on these fancy new heads that aren't all what they claim to be. I have played on a kit that had a great bass sound, it had a Powerstroke (or sonic..I'm not to familiar with all the names)3 on the batter. It was the clear kind with the little stripe running around it. Nice fat, open sound here, even on a vintage Slingerland bass. (22x14).
You have a special taste and have wrong expectation from an EMAD. It won't offer you an open sound and without the foam it's no different from a PS3. A clear muffled head tuned low will always have a punchy attack.
There's no sense in an EMAD and filling your BD with pillows. If it still sounds boomy, you must be tuning too high. Consider a different resonant head (muffled, coated, ported...)
For me, it works wonder, though I'd like to try an EQ4.