DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 AM

Default set up suggestions

hey guys. these are some old pictures of my drum set, but i'm looking to change my set up a bit. i want to throw my ride in replacement of my 10" on the bass drum. any suggestions on setup ideas. anything could help! :)

thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: set up suggestions

Shift the 8 and 10 over to the left. Move the A Custom to between the two "floor" toms. Put the lowest tom on the right above your little squealer and move the 16" over to replace it.

Got all that =P ?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:41 AM

thanks d.c.drummer. i'll try that out and let you know what i think. that sounds like a creative set up with the 13 over the squealer. this picture is from this summer, and i actually put the a custom over the 2 low toms now. :) now the fight is where to put my splashes. i have a new addition since that picture, a paiste 10" splash...

:)
thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

I don't know exactly how much space you have between those and the hats/snare, but a possibility for the splash is to mount it on a cymbal grabber, which is connected to the hi-hat stand itself. I used to have that type of setup myself, and it worked out pretty well for me for a while. In fact, with the stoner-funkish (think 311) acoustic band I'm establishing, I plan on going back to that type of splash setup.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
I don't know exactly how much space you have between those and the hats/snare, but a possibility for the splash is to mount it on a cymbal grabber, which is connected to the hi-hat stand itself. I used to have that type of setup myself, and it worked out pretty well for me for a while. In fact, with the stoner-funkish (think 311) acoustic band I'm establishing, I plan on going back to that type of splash setup.
i already like your opinion because you mentioned 311! ironically i just watched the 311 dvd here at home, 311 day in New Orleans. I love my pork pie little squealer because of the sound that somewhat replicates chad's snare...not close, but closer than my primary.

if you were in cincy i'd totally want to hear your band! thanks for the advice!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyever View Post
i already like your opinion because you mentioned 311! ironically i just watched the 311 dvd here at home, 311 day in New Orleans. I love my pork pie little squealer because of the sound that somewhat replicates chad's snare...not close, but closer than my primary.

if you were in cincy i'd totally want to hear your band! thanks for the advice!
Oh word? Any fan of 311 is cool in my book. I've got a Pearl Steel Piccolo that has an amazing crack to it, and I got it primarily because it was the closest thing I could find to a good snare that resembled Chad's type of sound.

What other influences do you have? Any RHCP or Incubus, possibly?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 AM

I agree with kung_f00. Your splashes will work well on your left, near the hi-hats.

Alternately, you could spread those two front crashes farther apart, and stick your splashes in between them, above your rack toms.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Oh word? Any fan of 311 is cool in my book. I've got a Pearl Steel Piccolo that has an amazing crack to it, and I got it primarily because it was the closest thing I could find to a good snare that resembled Chad's type of sound.

What other influences do you have? Any RHCP or Incubus, possibly?
my other influences are completely different than 311 actually. ha. i listen to alot of dave matthews band (carter is amazing!). other influences are thrice, rise against, maroon 5, dredg, and minus the bear.

if you haven't heard of minus the bear, you need to check them out! they are amazing!

what about you?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
my other influences are completely different than 311 actually. ha. i listen to alot of dave matthews band (carter is amazing!). other influences are thrice, rise against, maroon 5, dredg, and minus the bear.

if you haven't heard of minus the bear, you need to check them out! they are amazing!

what about you?
I definitely agree with you on DMB, but I try not to listen to them all the time because when I do, it begins hours upon hours of endless karaoke. They're addicting, plus Carter is fun to air-drum to when I'm at stoplights. I listen to a ton of Incubus, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Sublime, and White Stripes.

I'll check out Minus the Bear when I get a chance, thanks for the suggestion!

By the way.. If you can fit them.. try setting up your toms so they're 3-up, 2-down. That floor tom to your left seems like it's kind of a stretch.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

go ahead and bring the 12 inch up and have a 3 up 2 down set up with both floors on your right

I use this but with just 1 floor and its VERRRY easy to move around. i love it :>
Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree with you on DMB, but I try not to listen to them all the time because when I do, it begins hours upon hours of endless karaoke. They're addicting, plus Carter is fun to air-drum to when I'm at stoplights. I listen to a ton of Incubus, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Sublime, and White Stripes.

I'll check out Minus the Bear when I get a chance, thanks for the suggestion!

By the way.. If you can fit them.. try setting up your toms so they're 3-up, 2-down. That floor tom to your left seems like it's kind of a stretch.
hey there.

i've actually tried the 3-up, 2 down, but that 12" is too deep for my pref on the rack. i like them close together and lower...
i think i'm gonna experiement with the 8" and 10" over the snare, ride in place of the 10", and then the 12" and 16" next to eachother, and put the 13" in between the 12" and 16" up higher out further. once i do it i'll send a pic. :)

i hear ya on the dmb stuff. i love them but i can't listen to them forever or i get stuck in a drum rut of trying to do stuff i can't. another headache to listen to is coldplay. i LOVE their music but if i listen to them for too long, i start to get a headache, literally.

air-drumming at a traffic light, i'd have to say the best music to do that to is rise against. :) people will look at you funny but you just don't care because you realize it's a great time and a party those others aren't invited to. :)

thanks for your suggestions. i'll hopefully try them out in the next week! :)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
go ahead and bring the 12 inch up and have a 3 up 2 down set up with both floors on your right

I use this but with just 1 floor and its VERRRY easy to move around. i love it :>
hey tamadrummer132. thanks for the suggestion. hopefully i'll be able to set my drumset up on campus this week and try that out to see how comfy it is. i've tried that before and have become easily frustrated, but it was the summer time and everything frustrates me because of the heat. :)

it's all about the easy access on the drums, otherwise, you're very irritable when playing. that 16" to the right by the pork pie....i ran out of space so i stuck it over there. i hated it over there. hopefully i'll utilize it better on the right side :)

thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
hey there.

i've actually tried the 3-up, 2 down, but that 12" is too deep for my pref on the rack. i like them close together and lower...
i think i'm gonna experiement with the 8" and 10" over the snare, ride in place of the 10", and then the 12" and 16" next to eachother, and put the 13" in between the 12" and 16" up higher out further. once i do it i'll send a pic. :)

i hear ya on the dmb stuff. i love them but i can't listen to them forever or i get stuck in a drum rut of trying to do stuff i can't. another headache to listen to is coldplay. i LOVE their music but if i listen to them for too long, i start to get a headache, literally.

air-drumming at a traffic light, i'd have to say the best music to do that to is rise against. :) people will look at you funny but you just don't care because you realize it's a great time and a party those others aren't invited to. :)

thanks for your suggestions. i'll hopefully try them out in the next week! :)
rise against, eh? i'll have to add them to my seemingly endless queue of 'bands i need to listen to'. yeah, pics on setup progress would work well. but man, i always hate trying to explain the best way to set up drums because it's so much easier when it's hands-on. :P

as for dmb, the only stuff i know from beginning to end would be Ants Marching and Too Much, and that's not to say I can actually play it..I just know what goes where, when. now it's just a matter of telling my muscles what's up.

good luck experimenting with the setup, and i'll look forward to pictures. got any of yourself drumming? that's always a good indicator of proper positioning.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
rise against, eh? i'll have to add them to my seemingly endless queue of 'bands i need to listen to'. yeah, pics on setup progress would work well. but man, i always hate trying to explain the best way to set up drums because it's so much easier when it's hands-on. :P

as for dmb, the only stuff i know from beginning to end would be Ants Marching and Too Much, and that's not to say I can actually play it..I just know what goes where, when. now it's just a matter of telling my muscles what's up.

good luck experimenting with the setup, and i'll look forward to pictures. got any of yourself drumming? that's always a good indicator of proper positioning.
hey! i don't have any pictures of me drumming. i usually play at church so i never have a camera conveinent. i'm playing this week so i'll try to arrange that somehow. my drum teacher has worked with me on posture, and my biggest problem is keeping from tensing up when i play. i am long overdue for a chiropracter's appointment, so that probably factors into my playing and how incredibly uncomfortable i am sometimes.

and rise against...a must. check out their newest cd, "The Sufferer and The Witness". it's pretty good. i give this band a 2 thumbs up and i'm usually not into rock/punk stuff.

anyway, yeah. any bands to recommend for me?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
hey! i don't have any pictures of me drumming. i usually play at church so i never have a camera conveinent. i'm playing this week so i'll try to arrange that somehow. my drum teacher has worked with me on posture, and my biggest problem is keeping from tensing up when i play. i am long overdue for a chiropracter's appointment, so that probably factors into my playing and how incredibly uncomfortable i am sometimes.

and rise against...a must. check out their newest cd, "The Sufferer and The Witness". it's pretty good. i give this band a 2 thumbs up and i'm usually not into rock/punk stuff.

anyway, yeah. any bands to recommend for me?
i totally understand the issues of tension and posture. to this day i still have to remind myself to relax, especially when i get into a really intense section of the music i'm playing to. my back still aches from time to time (might be a good excuse to get myself some massage therapy), but i've noticed that when I sit towards the edge of my throne, I sit up a little more simply to keep balance.

as for bands to check out .. hmm.. well, they're not big influences on my drumming, but i think you'd have a blast with drums and tuba, and could probably fall asleep to our lady of bells.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
i totally understand the issues of tension and posture. to this day i still have to remind myself to relax, especially when i get into a really intense section of the music i'm playing to. my back still aches from time to time (might be a good excuse to get myself some massage therapy), but i've noticed that when I sit towards the edge of my throne, I sit up a little more simply to keep balance.

as for bands to check out .. hmm.. well, they're not big influences on my drumming, but i think you'd have a blast with drums and tuba, and could probably fall asleep to our lady of bells.
drums and tuba...wow that's hillarious. crazy yet creative....i appreciate that! :) do you have any pics of your drumset?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
drums and tuba...wow that's hillarious. crazy yet creative....i appreciate that! :) do you have any pics of your drumset?
I have much older pics of my kit, but come Friday I'll have brand new pics of them.