DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Default DW: 5000, 7000 Tama: Iron Cobra Yamaha: Flying Dragon

Ok, for my birthday my parents will combine to make one UBER parent and purchase a double pedal for me. Which would the best be:
I'm looking at a mix of ALL music, some Jazz (would probably use for triplets) Metal, Rock, Maybe even mess in some funk if I can find someone to play with. I want something quiet with fast action. It has to be a very durable pedal because of all the moving I do with my drum kit.

First, what is the difference between the 5000 and 7000, I'm very confused because I've seen a few posts about the 5000 being a better pedal, some about it not being worth the money. What is the difference between the two.

Second, is the Iron Cobra even comparable to the two DW's? I've heard that they don't have any "feel" at all and that they're all acceleration. I like Tama equipment a lot, it's decently tough.

Finally, to be very vague, where does the Yamaha Flying Dragon fall in all of this?

I just want to know your opinions
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: DW: 5000, 7000 Tama: Iron Cobra Yamaha: Flying Dragon

The 5000 is a "higher" level than the 7000. I definitley prefer it to the 7000. The 5000 and the 9000 are both the top level pedals for DW, but i would definitley buy the 5 instead of 9 because of the intesnse cost of the 9.

The Iron cobra is an amazing pedal too. I would narrow it down to that or the 5000. I dont think the flying dragon even compares to the others. I dont see what the big deal is with them, i cant stand em for some reason. I even prefer my powershifter to it.

Edit- btw, there is no best pedal for a certain genre. They are all versitile. Alot of it depends on the beater if you are that into it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Well, listen to class a if you so choose, but i wouldn't recommend it. The only point that i can agree with him on is the difference between the DW 5000 and 7000. I previously owned a 7000 and recently upgraded to a Flying Dragon. Frankly, the 7000 is poo, an entry level model, especially when compared to the FD. Admittedly, i didn't try either the 5000, IC or FD before purchasing, but was happy to trust the very reliabl name of Yamaha. I'm not disappointed. I opted for the double chain drive, which to my mind is ultra smooth, and the action is beautifully balanced. It's also got all the adjustments you could hope for.
The other thing i particularly favour is the flatness of the foot plate; i prefer this to the DW's with their raised logos. I find these less comfortable to play with socks on.
I know nothing on ICs. REmember, not all pedals are as versatile as others; i don't think an Axis longboard is suitable for your playing needs. Best thing would be to try them all out if you can.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Well, listen to class a if you so choose, but i wouldn't recommend it. The only point that i can agree with him on is the difference between the DW 5000 and 7000. I previously owned a 7000 and recently upgraded to a Flying Dragon. Frankly, the 7000 is poo, an entry level model, especially when compared to the FD. Admittedly, i didn't try either the 5000, IC or FD before purchasing, but was happy to trust the very reliabl name of Yamaha. I'm not disappointed. I opted for the double chain drive, which to my mind is ultra smooth, and the action is beautifully balanced. It's also got all the adjustments you could hope for.
The other thing i particularly favour is the flatness of the foot plate; i prefer this to the DW's with their raised logos. I find these less comfortable to play with socks on.
I know nothing on ICs. REmember, not all pedals are as versatile as others; i don't think an Axis longboard is suitable for your playing needs. Best thing would be to try them all out if you can.
Really you thought the 7000 was poo? I loved that pedal when i tryed it. Alteast it feels better than my powershifter. I guess we all have different feels and opinions on equipment. W/E thats what makes this a good site, all the versitilaty.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 AM

I can't comment on the DW pedals as I've had no real experience with them, but between the Iron Cobra's and the Flying Dragon's, Dragons win hands down (or feet down if you will). The double chain and the direct drive are the two smoothest pedals I have ever played. You should really look into them. Don't just go for the direct drive because its the top one though, the feel of direct drive just isn't for some people. Hope this helps.

R
Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I dont think the flying dragon even compares to the others. I dont see what the big deal is with them, i cant stand em for some reason. I even prefer my powershifter to it.
The "big deal" about the flying dragons is that the direct drive allows dynamically superior control and tremendously smoother playing. Which model did you try? I'll admit that the single and double chain models are nothing special, but the direct drive is out of the park in my book.

For smooth and versatile playing I would reccomend the Yahama Flying Dragon Direct Drive.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 03-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Only you can answer which pedal feels better to you. Get your feet on as many pedals as possible. I had both a DW5000A3 and a Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive in my studio for over a month doin' the A/B thing, sold the DW on eBay and bought a second Flying Dragon. But everyone's different. The Axis, Tama IC, Pearl Eliminator...all high end pedals. I played 'em all and Yamaha got my money. You may find a different pedal is "just right" for you.

Last edited by harryconway; 03-20-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondXheartbeat View Post
The "big deal" about the flying dragons is that the direct drive allows dynamically superior control and tremendously smoother playing. Which model did you try? I'll admit that the single and double chain models are nothing special, but the direct drive is out of the park in my book.

For smooth and versatile playing I would reccomend the Yahama Flying Dragon Direct Drive.
Not sure which model ive tried. Its a single pedal we have on our school set that they have had for a few years. I dont like it at all. Now power first of all, next i just dont like the feel as much for some reason.
Idk it may just be me.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

i have tried all of these, they are all pretty much just as smooth, all look great, acceptable prices, but the IRON COBRA(power glide) really stands out, try it out, and you will love it, whatever people say about it is not right, all the other pedals seem very normal and straight forward but the iron cobra was made to feel special, it takes some getting used to but definatly worth it

Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
whatever people say about it is not right
Iron cobra's are good.

But apparently anything said about them is wrong, so by that theory they are bad ... or good.. very confusing.

Regardless of his statment, you should try all of them. Get the one that feels right for you. Also, don't limit yourself to these 3 companies, you may want to check out Taye's new pedal. Hope this helps.

R
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Guinness

I own a Iron Cobra double pedal as well as a DW 9000 single pedal and prefer the 9000 over any other pedal I have ever tried. The DW offers unbelievable feel and control and it is almost effortless. The Cobras are good pedals as well, but they just feel too heavy to me and impersonal. I would say a Cobra would work much better in a heavier style of music where double bass drumming is almost constant. It seems to be a bit more indestructable. The music I play in my current band is not so heavy, so I would rather have the added control and comfort of the Dw.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 PM

I just replaced my DW7000. The Yamaha Flying Dragon has a problem with adjusting beater height. The Tama Iron Cobra, although solid, seemed top heavy to me. The DW5000 seemed way too heavy as well. I opted to the Pearl 2000C/B. It was just as smooth as the others, and yet seemed to be more stable when really getting on it.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea View Post
The Yamaha Flying Dragon has a problem with adjusting beater height.
I own two Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive single pedals and they serve triple duty playing a 20" kick, a 26" kick and inverted playing Roland KD-7 kick triggers. Do expound on this adjustment problem please?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Well, last night I went out and I found a Flying Dragon Direct Drive. It's so ridiculously smooth! I also tried out an iron cobra. Mind you both of them were only the single pedals, none of the shops had doubles in. I sat down and decided I liked the speed and action of both very much, but they are completely different beasts, their names both suit them very well. The "IRON" Cobra is very heavy feeling under your foot, while the "FLYING" Dragon feels kind of like air under your foot. I think my ankle got a lot more tired while doing quick movements on the Iron Cobra, where as the light feel of the Flying Dragon was no problem at all to operate. I think I like the Yamaha better... I've decided that the 5000 is just too expensive to try to get. I'll make my final decision this week.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Pioneer Member

You are going about this in a very wise manner. Trying as many as you can before buying, let us know what you end up with. Heck it's just fun getting to try out a bunch of different gear!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Sorry, sorry, I know this isn't wholly relevant, but i recall you're very new to drumming. I don't know what your medium and long term goals are on the instrument, but i always suggest to beginners that it's wise to keep away from double kick for a good few years, or at least until you gain some technique and independence on a single kick set-up. Having that slave pedal there can prove distracting from fundamental techniques.
Anyway, feel free to ignore, you could always get the double pedal and remove the slave for a later date.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

Well, Jonescrusher, while I respect your opinion I look at the facts. I have no money, and very few chances to get new things; I've managed to get everything I have now mainly through luck and ridiculous odd jobs. I need a new pedal (I'm using the stock one and it's really loud, and very annoying) and double pedal is something I want. Also, my instructor says I can use without distracting from my daily activities. My thinking is I really won't have much of a problem ignoring the slave pedal during my normal practice session, but supplement my practice afterwards with some fun double kick exercises. I've been around music for a long time and I realize that my fundamentals are much more important than the flair of a double kick riff.

So to sum that up, I'll ignore the slave during normal practice, if it gets too distracting I'll toss the it in a corner. It's just very convenient right now.