DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Axis Longboards

I have recently purchased Axis Longboards and I love them. They are the smoothest pedals I've ever played. But the bass drum is alot quieter now, and I don't like that too well. I'm assuming it's from the sonic hammers on the pedals....any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Axis Longboards

I didn't like the sonic hammers. Not because of a volume issue but because they're heavy. Take a lot more spring to swing them (even with the beefy spings on).

Which pads are you using on them? Cork, felt, or nothing? I used the felt for about a one day. Still didn't have any volume issues.

Did you change the beater height vice the pedal they replaced? Changing the strike-point would have some effect on volume. Also, the sonic hammer can vary the distance the beater makes contact in the pedal-stroke. I'd say too far foward would reduce the amount of power applied.

Just thoughts...

Andy
Old 03-15-2007, 04:02 PM

I use Sonic Hammers with no pads. I get more volume, and a fatter sound, with them, than with any other beater I've used, for less effort.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

I must have heavy feet (size 13's). Plus, I don't like the pencil eraser sized dings in the tops of my feet.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Pioneer Member

I have an Axis, and use the rubber beater.....these one is certainly loud enough
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Probably the biggest thing is the Axis pedals suffer from a serious lack of power compared to other pedals (ask around, its the consensus). I know lots of drummers frown on this but if you are going to keep the Axis pedals i recommend getting the e-triggers and a drum module. It brings out the bass drums 10 fold, especially live.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'd say too far foward would reduce the amount of power applied.
Pulling the hammers forward actually increases the volume of the hits.

I would also suggest bringing the angle of the beater shafts back towards your foot. The further they travel, the more momentum they gather. This will also make them feel a little heavier.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Probably the biggest thing is the Axis pedals suffer from a serious lack of power compared to other pedals (ask around, its the consensus). I know lots of drummers frown on this but if you are going to keep the Axis pedals i recommend getting the e-triggers and a drum module. It brings out the bass drums 10 fold, especially live.
Serious lack of power? The concensus? From who?

I'm not some Axis employee or anything, but I have to disagree strongly. I believe that the pedal stroke on the Axis is that, or better, of any pedal on the market, but certainly not under-powered. E-triggers, while fantastic for sound shaping, are not going to do any better than a run-of-the-mill bass mic for volume, at any venue.

As stated by others, or the concensus, that beater angle swing distance from the drum head, spring tension and foot technique make all the differences in the world...that is for any pedal.

Andy
Old 03-25-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Serious lack of power? The concensus? From who?
Ok that was maybe too broad of a statement. A lot of people I know (personally and on other forums) have shared my view that the Axis longboards do suffer from power loss and volume loss acoustically. Having played Trick, Pearl, Tama, and Yamaha pedals i have noticed Axis pedals lacking in the power area. They are smoother than most if you can get used to the feel, albeit. I have had good success using triggers in small venues and such, but for others that would be highly dependent on your PA or houses' PA.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Ok. Still beggin' to differ.

Yeah, the Axis stroke is different, but I don't feel there is any volume change between any decent pedal on the market. In fact, if there is any I felt that suffered frompower loss, it was the Trick Pro1V. All in all, there are so many dynamics that make ones volume happen...too many that go beyond the pedal to nail it down to one.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Lack of power with longboards? You must be crazy. The longboards (Axis A) are the most powerfull pedals I have ever dreamt about. You can easily break a coat in 2 motions with these pedals.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:47 AM

This is the stupidest argument EVER..Axis pedals in no way lack power or anything else..The reason you think or may have heard this is not the pedal at all, it's the player..When you play quick double pedal, you're ovbviously going to lose some volume, this goes with any pedal, hence the reason players use triggers with Axis pedals, they're extremely quick and powerful, but when you're doing very fast double pedal its obvious that you will lose volume..You can't be the Thor of metal and want to impend extreme doom power on your Axis pedals and expect your doubles to be just as loud as your singles. Anyone disagree? if you do, you're wrong.

~ Truth - DW - Zildjian - Remo - Vic Firth ~
Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 PM

I'm always surprised by the 'lack of power' rumor, myself.
I've seen it in several forums, but never experienced it personally.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Ok here is my personal argument. When i bought my longboards I was unable to get the same volume using the same techniques and strokes as i could with my old pedals (Pearl 120p Powershifters). I had to use a lot more muscle and effort to get close to the same volume acoustically as before. Even the rest of my band noticed they couldn't hear the bass drums well anymore. No matter how i cranked the tension, adjusted the angle, change beater, etc, i couldn't get the volume. Now volume isn't the reason why i got rid of mine though, because i trigger anyways live or recording. But all the same it was there. Obviously there is a slight learning curve to use the longboards, but i didn't expect the volume drop to be as dramatic as i noticed. This may or may not be an isolated incident, just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 PM

Just a question for some of the argueing people in here. Why would you be playing acousticly live anyway? -Joe Peters
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Small venue jazz gig... Not that you would be using Axis Longboards for that...