DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-24-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Art Blakey

Wow. I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about Art Blakey. I don't think so anyways..But yeah. I like Art Blakey. He did some real good stuff. The Jazz Messengers was some real good stuff. How do you like him? Art Blakey is an awesome drummer, and an awesome band leader I think.

Art Blakey page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-27-2005 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 09-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Senior Consultant

Default Re: Art Blakey

Great drummer. Always balls to the wall and completely intense. I didn't think he was the most subtle, but he could swing a band like no one else. I should check him out more.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Founder Drummerworld

The perfect Solo in size and style - as stated by Bill Hart:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/ar...hisperfect.mp3

Bernhard
Old 09-26-2005, 12:25 AM

I loved those huge press rolls Art used to play Picked up the band immensley
Old 09-26-2005, 06:27 AM

Wow, what an awesome solo! Makes me want to practice my singles!!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM

Blakey's playing was ALIVE...breathing and ON FIRE!!! Hearing the Jazz Messengers' Free For All album was a turning point in my life. One of my favorite drummers and an incredible contributor to the world of Jazz...Art Blakey!

TOMANO
Old 01-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
Great drummer. Always balls to the wall and completely intense. I didn't think he was the most subtle, but he could swing a band like no one else. I should check him out more.
I disagree, I think his work outside of the Jazz messengers is very subtle. Pick up Soul Station by Hank Mobley and Something Else by Cannoball Adderley, very tasteful playing on that. Also His self titled record on Impulse is wonderful, better than a lot of records on The Blue Note lable.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

LOoove it. He had the most amazing buzz rolls ever.

I was told by my drum teacher that he was actually taught by Chick Webb. Is there any truth to this?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 PM

This guy only has 7 responses. Wow.

My first Art Blakey experience was listening to 'Freedom Rider'. I was pretty new to jazz at that time, but his playing blew me away. So energetic and thunderous.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
I disagree, I think his work outside of the Jazz messengers is very subtle. Pick up Soul Station by Hank Mobley and Something Else by Cannoball Adderley, very tasteful playing on that. Also His self titled record on Impulse is wonderful, better than a lot of records on The Blue Note lable.
I didn't mean untasteful, just not subtle- there's a difference! Lots of stuff on the beat.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Stu_Strib

Art Blakey is one of the very few drummers in this world that you just know it is them after the first few bars!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Next to Miles Davis, Art probably allowed more new young guys to get their start in jazz. Funny, I love listening to Blakey but when I watch videos of him playing he seems somewhat awkward to me. I wish I could be that awkward!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:47 AM

"Next to Miles Davis, Art probably allowed more new young guys to get their start in jazz. Funny, I love listening to Blakey but when I watch videos of him playing he seems somewhat awkward to me. I wish I could be that awkward!"

This is one of the reasons I really respect Art. I had the pleasure of playing a gig with a famous saxophonist by the name of Javon Jackson who was a young and upcoming player when Art was getting big. Mr. Blakey recruited Javon when he was ripe out of Berklee College Of Music. When I got the chance to talk to Mr. Jackson he made it clear that Blakey was a huge inspiration in his life. Art was a big stepping stone for a lot of great players. I really wish I could have had the chance to see him play before his passing.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:44 AM

I love watching that art video on his DW page, and i just got one of his albums, now i know where he got the name buzz roll master, HOLY CRAP i want to buzz like that.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Womble

Two things that really annoy me from my time at LAMA:

1) In a music listening class, we heard a piano trio recording with Art Blakey. It was about 6 or 7 minutes long, and Art basically didn't comp at all. All he did was play the standard ride pattern and the hats on 2 and 4. And my GOD the intensity he built up was ridiculous. His hi-hat was so damn cutting, I was almost in a trance by the end of it. It was phenomenal to listen to. The awful thing is, I can't remember what the track or album was, not even the name of the pianist.

2) At a friend's house one evening, I was played an Art Blakey solo. I can't really remember anything about this solo, but I remember that I thought 'I have never heard anyone play the drums like this'. I would kill to hear that solo again, but as you've guessed, I can't remember where it was from.

Frustrating to say the least.

Last edited by Womble; 03-14-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
Two things that really annoy me from my time at LAMA:

1) In a music listening class, we heard a piano trio recording with Art Blakey. It was about 6 or 7 minutes long, and Art basically didn't comp at all. All he did was play the standard ride pattern and the hats on 2 and 4. And my GOD the intensity he built up was ridiculous. His hi-hat was so damn cutting, I was almost in a trance by the end of it. It was phenominal to listen to. The awful thing is, I can't remember what the track or album was, not even the name of the pianist.
By your description my guess is "Moanin".
Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Womble

Nah, I own Moanin'. This was a piano trio, not a Jazz Messengers recording. But thanks, and any other suggestion are more than welcome.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Drad-dog

Try Bobby Timmons "This Here is Bobby Timmons." Great trio recording featuring Blakey. Another trio album with Blakey was "Horace Silver Trio."

Did you guys know that Blakey started out as a pianist?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Pioneer Member

i got a night in tunisia a few months ago. really blew me away. the title track is so amazing.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 AM

There is a good book out of Blakey transcriptions... "Art Blakey's Jazz Messages". Check it out.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Art Blakey

He is beyond amazing. This guy is an amazing drummer and an amazing writer/conductor. He's the leader of the Jazz Messengers. This man knows what he's doing. What do you all think?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM

I concur wholheartedly. He is very powerful w/o being drumistic. I'm glad he switched from piano to the drums and created such a huge volume of work and brilliant music to learn from and enjoy.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Art Blakey once said a quote I really like

"Drummers should stop looking at other drummersí equipment and say, Iím going to duplicate that.í It doesnít matter what kind of instrument the drummer has. It isnít the instrument, itís the musician." Art Blakey
Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 PM

I'm a massive Blakey fan, my favourite is the album the Jazz Messangers did with Monk. Bloody amazing. Does anyone find that the percussion played on Night in Tunisia is all over the place, and, dare I say it, a bit crap?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flam_Paradiddle
I'm a massive Blakey fan, my favourite is the album the Jazz Messangers did with Monk. Bloody amazing. Does anyone find that the percussion played on Night in Tunisia is all over the place, and, dare I say it, a bit crap?
I found a Night in Tunisa a bit all over the map as Well. My favorite Blakey Album is the self Titled Jazz Messengers one he put out on Implulse. The recording quality is superb and the musicians are his best. I own the Monk and Blakey album, I find there is too much space created from T Monk on that one. "In walked bud" is a phenominal song though. If you like Blakey I highly recommend , Freedom Rider, Roll Call (Hank Mobley), and Soul Station (Hank Mobley).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
1) In a music listening class, we heard a piano trio recording with Art Blakey. It was about 6 or 7 minutes long, and Art basically didn't comp at all. All he did was play the standard ride pattern and the hats on 2 and 4. And my GOD the intensity he built up was ridiculous. His hi-hat was so damn cutting, I was almost in a trance by the end of it. It was phenomenal to listen to. The awful thing is, I can't remember what the track or album was, not even the name of the pianist.
Sounds like Moanin' on the album Moanin' written by the pianist Bobby Timmons.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 PM

Art was a hard swinging, no BS drummer. But in addition to that, he was the most important small jazz group leader of all time. The Jazz Messengers gave rise to more prominent jazz musicians than any other group.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangus
Sounds like Moanin' on the album Moanin' written by the pianist Bobby Timmons.
See my message #17!! But thanks for trying.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM

Art Blakey is one of the greatest drummers of all time!! His aggressive swing made him an important stylist in drums.
"Kenny Clarke was the Godfather, Max was the painter to put the colors together; Art was the volcano!" - Dizzy Gillespie.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:26 AM
blade123

I love the guy. He practically got me into jazz (Moanin')
Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade123 View Post
I love the guy. He practically got me into jazz (Moanin')
Same here, exactly word for word.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flam_Paradiddle View Post
Are you nuts? This track is amazing. This is what *music* is.

-Ryan
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 PM

Art is my biggest influence, I even have his photo on a t-shirt. :)
Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 AM
blade123

Bump.
I was reading somewhere that in order to get into a drummer's head, you need to check out what your idol was listening to. I have looked online and have yet to find out who his idols were, any help?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Wikpedia says
By the time he was a teenager he was playing the piano full-time, leading a commercial band. Shortly afterwards, he taught himself to play the drums in the aggressive swing style of Chick Webb, Sid Catlett and Ray Bauduc.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM

I saw Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at a JazzMobile concert outdoors at Grants Tomb on the edge of Harlem in NYC ~ 1978. I still remember it vividly! The first tune was Free for All (from one of the greatest Blue Note Albums). From the downbeat it was one of the most exciting concerts I have ever seen. When you watched him play, it was pure music. You didn't see the kind of technique that some people have acquired these days (not so important), but you FELT an amazing force that ignited the band and music and made you realize that there was something special here. The feeling in the music sent chills up your spine.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:11 AM

When my son was selected for his school jazz band I thought it would be helpful to pick up some music with some of the "best" jazz drummers. I started with some Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Philly Joe Jones and Art Blakey. I got Art on "Something Else" and the Jazz Messengers "The Big Beat". With no disrespect intended to the others, after the first rolling thunder press roll I was hooked! I have a pretty good selection of Blakey music now and "The Big Beat" remains one of my favorites. As many others have mentioned the thing that impresses me as much as his relentless driving swing is his devotion to the American art form Jazz. He gave opportunity to many young musicians and exposed them to the music and the business of music in a way that allowed many of them to become successful in their own right. He also never quit vocalizing his love of jazz and did all he could to keep the public aware of it's origins.

Make mine swingin' Art!

"Swing them to death".
Art Blakey
Old 07-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Max_Roach (not real Max Roach) Max_Roach (not real Max Roach) is offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow View Post
I agree with you on that one. The thing is, Art was the leader of his group. He was the man! He needed to and wanted to be in charge of his group and those drums. When someone else was the leader he knew how to be subtle yet tasty. He didn't get in the way and listen to what the leader and the music told him.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 AM

Hey time keepers,

I'm relearning or reinventing my playing by learning jazz. Alamode is one of the baddest tunes I've heard. I just like how Art grooves and swings so hard.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow View Post
Soul Station is a great recording! I used to play to that all the time. Has one of the great Art Blakey solos on it. I think Art definitely had the capacity for subtlety, but really feel we didn't get to hear it a lot. As much as I like Art's playing, we tend to keep hearing the same motives in every solo with only a few alterations. It seems to me that it was the energy and attitude that made all the difference.

I really liked his groups. I don't think we really understand what it meant to be an African American band leader sustaining such immensely talented groups for so many years. I read that when Art played with Dizzy Gillespie, he was attacked by police in Georgia and had to have a metal plate put in his head. That's why versions of "Manteca" start out with "I'll never go back to Georgia."

I also read that Chick Webb gave Art a pile of crap about coating his drumsticks with fluorescent paint and turning off the lights to do a drum solo when he couldn't even play a decent roll, so Art would come to all of Webb's gigs so he could get lesson in between sets.
Vic Firth Sticks
Evans Drumheads