DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Gilded

Default Re: avenged sevenfold debate

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold at all, they're a bit corny for me. But I have to admit I like one song of theirs were doing as our main cover at the moment 'Unholy Confessions'.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Gilded that is a great example of an awesong song by them... hope you do it justice when covering it.

It didn't bother me that he stopped screaming after Waking the Fallen.. it did bother me that the songwriting completely changed to go along with that and now they have "big choruses" and way too many hooks.

It really seems like the re-invention of "glam" or "hair-metal" but substitute piercings and tattoos for long hair and spandex
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Pioneer Member

I like playing "Beast and the Harlot" on Guitar Hero, but other than that they just strike me as a "Hot Topic" band--just a silly, pseudo-metal band for angsty high school kids.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsy View Post
Gilded that is a great example of an awesong song by them... hope you do it justice when covering it.

It didn't bother me that he stopped screaming after Waking the Fallen.. it did bother me that the songwriting completely changed to go along with that and now they have "big choruses" and way too many hooks.

It really seems like the re-invention of "glam" or "hair-metal" but substitute piercings and tattoos for long hair and spandex
Yeah, I liked Unholy Confessions and that was about it. I also agree, that they seem like the re-invention of 80s/early 90s metal. After Waking the Fallen, it seemed that they wanted to be Guns and Roses with, IMO, same-ish sounding guitar hooks and solos.
They aren't a bad band musically, they are talented. But now they seemed to be based around the gimmick of "we got lots of tats, chicks, and solos"
Old 11-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

they're an amazing band, amazing drummer :p. But I was reading a/p, and they only got 2.5 stars for the new album out of 5! Thats why im not investing in it :p. Live on city of evil, live on :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Sorry for bumping this thread. But I myself am a fan of Avenged Sevenfold. Have been since their first album Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, which is the album their hardest music they've done is on. I personally like the new music, it's "different" I guess you could say. I'm more of a fan of their first two album where they were more of a "metalcore" band, which the alternate screaming and singing. My favorite song they've ever done off of any of the albums is "Chapter Four" off of Waking The Fallen. Probably one of the only real "metal" song they've put out. I'll admit, while I really like them and they are my favorite band, they are more Nu-metal than actual metal.

The thing is, I listen to grindcore/death metal music more than anything. Bands like Dance Club Massacre, Suicide Silence, Abigail Williams, My Bitter End, Heaven Shall Burn, The Devil Wears Prada, Despised Icon, See You Next Tuesday, Parkway Drive, and etc... Most people find it weird that my favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold, but keep in mind, their first and heaviest album is what got me into them. The main reason I kept liking them is probably since I've been a fan for so long that it's just hard to give up on a band that quick. I really like the new album more than I did City Of Evil. Not sure why, I guess because it's different and on City Of Evil, I felt like they over did the guitar on some songs. While I still like it COE, it's still my least favorite album of theirs.