DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Stanton Moore

Hmm... strange thing... Why was my latest post redirected to this thread, from 'technique' section?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Pioneer Member

anyone know if there's much else in the book that you can;t get from the two dvds and the pdf file on vic firth from one of his drum clinics???
Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperivo
Hmm... strange thing... Why was my latest post redirected to this thread, from 'technique' section?
Sorry Kacperivo

Made just a direct link from Stantons Drummerworld-Site to this thread - and thought your points are very interesting...

Bernhard
Old 03-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackanut
this guy is one of my favorite drummers of all time, I love his style and how its so unique to the world of drumming today. what do you guys think of him? has he influenced anyone else like he has me?

Corey
Yeah... looking at your avatar, it's hard to think that Stanton's not your favorite drummer ;). He's really unique. To be honest, I started playing drums seriously thanks to "Blues for Ben". This tune, and Stanton's playing in general also turned my drum preferences 180 degrees (from Premier + Zildjian to Gretsch + Bosphorus). So... how could I say, he hasn't influenced me? ;)

To Bernhard: Oh, okay:). I was just curious what happened. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:33 AM

When Galactic was in town a month or so ago I actually got a private lesson from Stanton. It was the best experience of my life. The best part of it was that it was only $100 for an hour. I guess most people dont know it but at his website it says that he gives Master classes, clinics, and private lessons. I just sent a e-mail and it was set up. I got to play on his set on the H.O.B stage. I must say his cymbals and drums sound amazing. They were just tuned perfectly.
I was worried that he would just go over stuff from his DVD's, but he really made a point not too. One of my friends had seen him in a clinic and said that he really just tried to promote his DVD and concentrated on his DVD, He really didnt and that made me glad.
He was a great guy and very nice and it was worth every pennie. If Galactic is ever in town I would try and get a lesson because its worth it.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 AM

I wonder if they will let me just meet Stanton at the Galactic show I'm going to? I really dont have the money for something like a lesson but I would really like to just talk to him for a little bit. anyone else going to this show?

Corey

www.facebook.com/Hackanut
Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just added some nice Lessons from Stanton Moore - Sound and Tabs:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Clinic/S...dapproach.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Clinic/S...dapproach.html

The Hot New Orleans Mambo:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Clinic/S...eansmambo.html

Bernhard
Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

I've just found out that Stanton will be playing with Galactic in my hometown. In just over a month. On October 17th.

I'm getting tickets tomorrow. Boy am I excited.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Administrator

okay, i've just finished watching his two DVDs and i'm floored. i think i'm going to go and spend 20 minutes each on

RRLRRLRL

LLRLRLRR

and then mess around with placement and accent until its coming out of my ears.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

I just got the new Stanton Moore album "III" and it is sooo good. Oh, it's a drummers album. He is an amazing player, I love his style and he whales on the new COC album as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 AM

I got back from seeing the Stanton Moore trio at Snug harbor in The French quarter about three hours ago. It may have been the most amazing display of musicianship I have ever seen. Got to meet the man... I was starstruck and nervous but he was really down to earth and friendly. All I could think to say was "I love your book and dvds" then I just kinda stood there. Snug harbor was such a great place to see them.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

Default What a great day (Stanton Moore and new hats inside)!

Well, today has been quite a day for somedrummer.

Between classes he was able to make it down to his local music shop to buy a drumhead for Stanton Moore to potentially sign. On the way, he stopped in at his favorite pawn shop. He noticed a pair of hi hats marked $75. Well, he wasn't sure whether he wanted them or not, so he proceeded downt o the music store, found the head which he wanted (12" Coated Ambassador), and started on his way back. But before he got far, he realized that he should really go buy those 13" Paiste Dimensions Light Hats for $70!!! So he went to the bank, cashed a check, and went into that pawn shop and bought those hats.

Then he went back to school, sat around for a few moments whilst waiting for class to start, and once it was over, proceeded to sit in for the Jazz Ensemble rehearsal. He let the drummer use his new hats, and he was very impressed. Afterwards, somedrummer rehearsed with his jazz combo, and everything sounded quite good.

Soon after he finished with this, somedrummer had to make his way to his trumpet player's car so as to drop of his new cymbals at his car. Now, on the way to the car, somedrummer happened to spy a gigantic RV, with some funny-looking Louisianans. These just happened to be the members of the band Galactic, which somedrummer was planning to see that very night! So somedrummer got out his head which he had bought earlier that day, shook Stanton's hand, and asked him if he would sign a drumhead for somedrummer. And he did! (Pics will be posted when somedrummer has the means).

Now, somedrummer was a bit starstruck all the way up until the concert actually began. He dropped off his new treasures in his car, and proceeded to be the first one into the concert, which only less than 200 attended. He got to stand right in front, with a perfect view of Mr. Moore's hands and his 26" bass drum. He was quite amazed by Mr. Moore's ability, and his sheer power to groove! So, between sets, Mr. Moore came out to sign autographs, and somedrummer of course obliged and bought a CD, which he also had Mr. Moore sign. Somedrummer chatted with Mr. Moore about a mindblowing fill that he had used, which somedrummer could not quite make sense of. Well, neither could Mr. Moore, as he had trouble explaining it himself!

So, somedrummer proceeded to be rocked by a great 4 hours of music. And at the end, his friend who worked backstage passed him a set list of the whole show, with every song marked off.

What a great day.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What a great day (Stanton Moore and new hats inside)!

Awesome man. I'm hanging out in hope that galactic will tour Aus some day. Man Stanton is amazing...

Biz
Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Woah - You've just converted me to a funkateer! Hah.. after checking out Galactics myspace, im really pumped to learn more then the few funk grooves i know now, and to focus on buying some cd's, such as parliament and galactic, very cool stuff.

Thankyou! and pleased to hear you had a good time!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:58 AM

Awesome day! I remember Stanton Moore came to my local drum store to give a 1 hour drum clinic( which ended up lasting 2 hours) like 8 months... damn that guy could groove! And he was def. a cool and down to earth guy.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozzy
Woah - You've just converted me to a funkateer!
Great, man, you won't regret it. Funk is by far my favorite type of music to play.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Stanton Moore just made me aware, that he opened now his own forum on his website.

He also read all messages here - and said, that it was fun to read.

Stantons Forum is here:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/

Bernhard
Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Stanton Moore just made me aware, that he opened now his own forum on his website.

He also read all messages here - and said, that it was fun to read.

Stantons Forum is here:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/

Bernhard
Ooh... I wonder if he recognized me by my posts. I pretty much wouldn't leave him alone all night. I stood around picking his brain and just watching him. Well, hi Stanton, this is Robert, the guy who accosted you outside your bus and got you to sign a drumhead. Thanks again, as you can tell, it means a lot to me!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Sorry to bump a thread after three months, BUT

I've owned Galactic's "Coolin' Off" for years, but never really sat down and gave it a good listen until hearing/watching some of Stanton Moore's clips on the drummerworld page. Listening to it right now, and want to pick up some more of his and/or their stuff. Looking particularly for stuff that is leaning (but not completely) towards the specifically traditional New Orleans kind of stuff as opposed to the more modern (though clearly Nola, particularly Meters, influenced) funk. A few recs, especially stuff that might be more likely to actually be in stock in a good, but not all encompassing record store.

Thanks much, y'all.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Pioneer Member

I would check out his cd III. It is absoluteley awesome.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Administrator

apropos of nothing

i've been working on some of stnaton's stuff and by accident i found a lovely song to practice
RRLRRLRL
to.

its 'i want candy' by the bangles. the drumming on this song is wicked! check it out if you can.

j

Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
apropos of nothing

i've been working on some of stnaton's stuff and by accident i found a lovely song to practice
RRLRRLRL
to.

its 'i want candy' by the bangles. the drumming on this song is wicked! check it out if you can.

j
Hey Nutha,

I could be wrong, but I think the band is Bow, Wow, Wow. If we aren't talking about the same version, RRLRRLRL also works great with this one.

Cheers.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Administrator

nah its the bangles, i've been playing with the track today. maybe one or the other was a cover tho.
but what a great track.
j

Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 PM

did you buy it at a store, or "borrow" it from the internet? Stuff in the second category is OFTEN mislabelled (perhaps the most famous example being The Gourd's cover of Gin and Juice)

The famous version of that song from the 80's was by Bow Wow Wow, without a doubt. That was a cover I believe, but from the 50s or 60s, not the 80s. The Bow Wow Wow version is basically the Bo Diddley beat.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 PM

Here's some info.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I Want Candy" is a song written and originally recorded by The Strangeloves in 1965 and went to number 11 in USA. It is a famous example of a song that uses the Bo Diddley beat.

"I Want Candy" has been covered numerous times by other artists since The Strangeloves original recording, most famously by Bow Wow Wow in 1982 and most recently by Melanie C, ex Spice Girl, for Ealing Studios movie of the same name I Want Candy.

The enduring popularity of Bow Wow Wow's recording is partly due to the memorable video that got heavy play in the early days of MTV. This recording is highly associated with 80's pop music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKDJdRGug5o
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
apropos of nothing

RRLRRLRL
to.

j
I wonder if Stanton's groove would work with Desire by U2...
Might have to tweak it a bit.....
Old 02-01-2007, 11:03 PM

I think alot of the stuff in his book DVDs would work although most of the stuff in there directly is for a N.O. Style 2-3 clave accent pattern, where the Bo Diddley that is used on I Want Candy (and on Desire if I recall correctly) is a straight 3-2 Clave, so you might have to switch some stuff up.

the most obvious choice to add a New Orleans flavor to either of those would be to play a single stroke roll on the snare, accented

RlrLrlRlrlRlRlrl (two measures)

with the "big four" underneath on the bass drum

and 2s and 4s hi-hat with the foot.

This is basically a 3-2 clave version of the 2-3 clave that Stanton discusses in his book as sort of "the" traditional second line beat (although the 2-3 new orleans version has the second of the 2 side delayed).

Just bought his book (and accompanying CD) as well as the III album last week, all are GREAT.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Default Stanton Moore here

Hello all. I've been checking out Drummerworld for a while and regard it as a very valuable tool in the eternal quest for drumming and musical knowledge. I just wanted to
post, and say hello. Also I've recently posted a 2006 wrap up that might be fun for some of you to check out. you can check it out at http://www.stantonmoore.com/news/yearend2006.html. I look forward to talking with some of you. thanks, Stanton
Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stanton Moore here

Welcome, we are happy to see you here. So many of us idolize you.

I am personally a big fan of your music (though some other members defiantly get the biggest fan award). I love your technical foundation which, allows you to use the drums so expressively.

And I've heard about a charity in N.O. that helps out w/ displaced musicians.. do you know specifically which one that is?

Your website looks great also... see you around drummerworld.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Silver Member

Whoa, you're friggin awesome and I definitly dig the arrangement of When The Levee Breaks on III, it was mighty good. You're drumming is not only sweet to listen to but you're for some reason really awesome to watch. I don't know how to describe it, it's pretty smooth and full...if that makes sense.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Pioneer Member

If this really is Stanton, im going to shat myself.

Welcome aboard.Ive got a few questions for you if youre the real deal. Im a bit skeptical, as this IS the internet and I could say that im George Clooney and no one would have any way of knowing otherwise ( I hope you know what I mean, im not trying to be condescending.)
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Yes, it is actually me. Bernhard said some people might not believe it.

For those who are interested in donating to help musicians in New Orleans, you can go to tipitinas.com www.tipitinas.com and donate to the Tipitina's foundation.

Tipitinas is s legendary club in new orleans that was founded as a place Professor Longhair and other New Orleans musicians could play and feel at home.

The foundation helps get musicians instruments and anything they might need.

I host a weekly student workshop there on Sundays as well (when I'm not on the road).

The foundation funds this workshop along with an intern program and actually provides schools with instruments and helps the musicians of NOLA get what they need to help rebuild the community.

Last edited by Bernhard; 03-08-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Hi Stanton - great to have you on board!!

---
...and for the sceptical ones: yes, this IS Stanton Stanton Moore.

I had the chance to meet Stanton on several occasions: Columbus, London, Austin....he's the man!!

He really cares of the heritage of New Orleans Drumming and made me aware of James Black and helped me building his page on Drummerworld.

Always when I listen to Stanton, it animates me to sit down on my drums - what can I ask for more....

Listen to Stanton:
Poison Pushy

Check also out his 2006 Review

and of course visit also his own forum:
Stanton Forum

Hey Forummembers: Take the chance and ask some interesting questions!!!

and never forget: R R L R R L R L .....

Bernhard

Last edited by Bernhard; 03-08-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Questions will come later. It's an honor to have you here. Welcome.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:13 AM

An honor and a privelege, sir!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Wow, amazing to have you on board Stanton! Have a look around, your expertise and advice will be much valued through all aspects of the forum.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Administrator

hi stanton.
i met you with bernhard at drummerlive in london. i have both your dvds and your latest cd stanton3. excellent stuff. i've been working a lot with just the one 2nd line pattern you show ...RRLRRLRL. it is really enjoyable once you hear the clave in there and have the hihat going. i've even added a cut down (sliced in half) 13'' tom to the left of my hihat to act as a pandero. i've tuned it lower than my floortom. i try to incorporate the pattern into solos where possible by breaking it over the kit. sounds killer though i know i'm still playing it too straight ... kind of like that 'i like candy' song by the bangles.
anyway just wanted to say thanks for opening my eyes and ears to new orleans.

j

Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

It's fantastic to have you here Stanton! It's a real privilege for us, and I hope you enjoy it.

I have recently been working on some second line ideas to incorporate into my playing. I find them amazingly funky and hip in comping and also using some press roll ideas. I have been trying out an exercise you suggested which was letting the sticks turn in your hands while doing a press roll...'tis very frustrating hahaha.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 AM

I just want to say thanks. And thanks to your mate Johhny Vidocovich. The music of New Orleans is living through you guys, and the importance to music you hold, has incredible weight. Very safe travels to you.

www.paulclifford.moonfruit.com
Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

Wow, Stanton. Welcome to the forum. We're honoured to have you here.