DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drumgear in your School.

My school has an old pearl session drum set with vintage zildjian ride, 16" K Custom dark fast crash, Paiste 2oo2 flat ride, New Beat Hats and a Z Custom china. Also a Gretch Catalina club (?) set that we racked up and put it on wheels. Thats got also a K fast crash B8 Ride and zildjian 13" hats.

We march dynasty drums (hopefully going to get new ones in a year or two) and are currently going to be the owners of some of The Cavaliers' used PIT Equipment.

The best thing i can think of for concert season right now is our Constantinople Ride (BEAUTIFUL) and our bass drum that sounds like a subwoofer.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 AM

my school has a really old, but nice 4 piece pearl export (18-10-14) outfitted with fiberskyns, a 20inch vintage k ride, an 18inch k crash, and 14inch k hats, as well as a 18 inch vintage a crash ride with 6 rivets
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 AM

My old School had a Pearl Session in that marine blue colour. 2000 series hardware and old Zildjians, couldn't tell what they were as the labels had worn off, but i am assuming they were A's. They also had two mid-ninetys exports with plain wrap finishes and various Sabian, Paiste and Zildjian cymbals.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

When I was in high school, our band director was a percussionist, and our jazz band director's son was a fantastic drummer. So, we had a ton of really awesome gear.

The drum kit was a Tama Superstar, brand new my freshman year (and I took over the jazz throne, etc, my freshman year, so that was nice). Sizes were 20", 12", 13", 16", with a 14" snare. We had Paiste 2002's (14", 16" crashes, 10" splash), with a black Colorsound Ride (22", I believe, may have been 20", and still the best ride I've ever played). We got new heads every year or so.

As far as the other stuff...phew. We got new marching stuff every few years...it was Pearl, I want to say Competitors...we had like 8 snare drums, 4 sets of quints, and 8 bass drums.

Also, our orchestral percussion was ridiculous. We had 3 full sized marimbas, 4 xylophones, 4 glocks, a set of 4 tympani, and pretty much every other percussion instrument you could think of...stuff like $200 triangles, etc. When I started teaching after high school, and would go to other schools, it just made me sad...I used to just assume that everyone had all that gear to learn on in high school.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
When I was in high school, our band director was a percussionist, and our jazz band director's son was a fantastic drummer. So, we had a ton of really awesome gear.

The drum kit was a Tama Superstar, brand new my freshman year (and I took over the jazz throne, etc, my freshman year, so that was nice). Sizes were 20", 12", 13", 16", with a 14" snare. We had Paiste 2002's (14", 16" crashes, 10" splash), with a black Colorsound Ride (22", I believe, may have been 20", and still the best ride I've ever played). We got new heads every year or so.

As far as the other stuff...phew. We got new marching stuff every few years...it was Pearl, I want to say Competitors...we had like 8 snare drums, 4 sets of quints, and 8 bass drums.

Also, our orchestral percussion was ridiculous. We had 3 full sized marimbas, 4 xylophones, 4 glocks, a set of 4 tympani, and pretty much every other percussion instrument you could think of...stuff like $200 triangles, etc. When I started teaching after high school, and would go to other schools, it just made me sad...I used to just assume that everyone had all that gear to learn on in high school.
I'm totally jealous!! What a nice percussion lineup. It really is unfortunate that some schools (like mine) do not have a huge music budget. But the good thing is I'm glad that I at least HAVE drums to play on. And in the end, my school's drums are more than decent, and it's about the player, not the gear.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
I'm totally jealous!! What a nice percussion lineup. It really is unfortunate that some schools (like mine) do not have a huge music budget. But the good thing is I'm glad that I at least HAVE drums to play on. And in the end, my school's drums are more than decent, and it's about the player, not the gear.
Yeah, it was nice going to a school where the marching band frequently won Tournament Of Band's Atlantic Coast Championships, and took high percussion...while the football team never made the playoffs from the time I was in middle school until after I graduated. At football games, the band frequently got more cheers than the team did.

While I agree that as long as the gear is ok, you're fine, I also have to say that it's nice to have the experience of playing all of those instruments. Our band director insisted that we learn ALL the percussion instruments that we could...so that by my last concert, "Drummer Jon" was suddenly playing a four mallet marimba part with a solo in one piece, a 4 tympani piece with multiple tunings, a really complicated concert snare drum part, all in concert band...a really complicated marching snare drum part in percussion ensamble...and playing latin percussion and drum set, including a solo, in jazz band. And I wasn't the only one. We played a lot of percussion oriented music, and the top three or four percussionists always got to play a ton of cool stuff.

Heck, even when I wasn't playing that stuff, we studied proper technique on things like the triangle, temple blocks, concert bass drum, slapstick, vibraslap, etc. We KNEW how to play each one of those, and dozens of other instruments...not just like, "I'm a drummer, so I can pick this up and play it," but, "Give me a complicated piece of music for this instrument, and I will nail it, using proper technique."

I went up to my band and jazz directors a few years ago and just thanked them so much, and apologized for being a cocky jerk when I was in high school. So if this sounds like I'm bragging, I promise you, I'm not. I'm just giving props where they are due.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Yeah, it was nice going to a school where the marching band frequently won Tournament Of Band's Atlantic Coast Championships, and took high percussion...while the football team never made the playoffs from the time I was in middle school until after I graduated. At football games, the band frequently got more cheers than the team did.

While I agree that as long as the gear is ok, you're fine, I also have to say that it's nice to have the experience of playing all of those instruments. Our band director insisted that we learn ALL the percussion instruments that we could...so that by my last concert, "Drummer Jon" was suddenly playing a four mallet marimba part with a solo in one piece, a 4 tympani piece with multiple tunings, a really complicated concert snare drum part, all in concert band...a really complicated marching snare drum part in percussion ensamble...and playing latin percussion and drum set, including a solo, in jazz band. And I wasn't the only one. We played a lot of percussion oriented music, and the top three or four percussionists always got to play a ton of cool stuff.

Heck, even when I wasn't playing that stuff, we studied proper technique on things like the triangle, temple blocks, concert bass drum, slapstick, vibraslap, etc. We KNEW how to play each one of those, and dozens of other instruments...not just like, "I'm a drummer, so I can pick this up and play it," but, "Give me a complicated piece of music for this instrument, and I will nail it, using proper technique."

I went up to my band and jazz directors a few years ago and just thanked them so much, and apologized for being a cocky jerk when I was in high school. So if this sounds like I'm bragging, I promise you, I'm not. I'm just giving props where they are due.
You know, I totally agree. I would love to be able to study percussion in depth on all those instruments. I already study a lot of percussion instruments with my teacher, but at school it's not as easy. It's not because of the instruments really-- it's just that because our program isn't as in depth, the majority of the drummers are content with sloppily playing the parts at our concerts and not putting any extracurricular effort in. Not to brag but I put a lot more effort in than most of the other drummers just because I love playing as many percussion instruments as I can (although trap set is definitely my favorite). And trust me, I believe you when you say that you can sincerely thank your high school directors for the great opportunity they gave you in school.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM

The kits in high school were pretty good. We had two kits. one was a red yamaha stage custom (standard size) and the other was a pearl masters or world i think, in silver. there was also a 10" (or it might be 8"?) tom with that kit. Hardware was pretty much all premier. There was one yamaha steel snare and one premier snare that we used too. and the cymbals were pretty standard, zbt hats and ride, but they had two zildjian edge crashes which sounded pretty nice. they dont make them anymore. We did have the zildjian K/Z hihats (K on top, Dyno Beats on bottom) which i used when i could. Below is the kit i played at one of the concerts with the high school orchestra. Notice ive nicked the small tom from the pearl kit and lost the 14" off the red yamaha.

Now at university, we also have two main kits. both are yamaha stage customs, one being fusion and the other is standard rock size. the cymbals are generally sabian AAs, but people bring their own sometimes. They have a lot of nice snares including some tama and mapex snares. The kit im playing in my avatar is the fusion stage custom at uni.

My Band
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 PM

I think it would be useless for me to list out every last drum from drumline, concert band, jazz, choir, and other musical groups from my school. We have a few custom Cadeson kits that we use for jazz. These all have sturdy hardware and whatnot, Zildjian K cymbals, a swish and some other stuff. Plenty of timpanis, keyboards, snares, bass drums and whatnot. Its not so much the drums but what you do with them. That being said, we've racked up around 3 Grammys in the past few years? Its the largest highschool in California, so we get some talent. i may be incorrect on the number, 3 or 4.

And now ill stop being cocky. I am guessing that UCLA will have a bunch of drums too, which is where im headed this next year.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

at my jr high, we had some nice yamah custom noveaus, and granted, we had some k's and a's on hand as well

now at our highschool, everytime im walking past our auditorium i cant help but drool over the vintage a's and pruple sparkle luds.

they sound so sweet

fibyreskins all across the darn thing

we were doing a lab in science and we needed the space in the auditorium, the band had a show that night and i was so tempted to play them
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
at my jr high, we had some nice yamah custom noveaus, and granted, we had some k's and a's on hand as well

now at our highschool, everytime im walking past our auditorium i cant help but drool over the vintage a's and pruple sparkle luds.

they sound so sweet

fibyreskins all across the darn thing

we were doing a lab in science and we needed the space in the auditorium, the band had a show that night and i was so tempted to play them
Wait. You're not in the band??
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 AM

My middle had a super old pear export. Until I tuned them they sounded like crap. I replaced the heads with my own money because we were pooooooor. The old heads were all warped and dented. There were like 7 vintage beginner snares. We only used 2 because the stupid kids would throw the snare on the arms and destroy the bottom head. Surprisingly there was a Pearl Freefloater but in order to play it you had to prove you would respect it and you had to know how to play "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" by CCR. I knew it and I got to play it, it sounded amazing. I found out that I was the second drummer my teacher had that could play drums since hes been there and hes been there for 40 years. I loved him, he was like my dad. Our relationship was that of JD and Dr Cox from scrubs
Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Wait. You're not in the band??
nah never got around to it

i quite the jr high band after 6th grade, the teacher was very condiscending. although he said i have great talent/ potential, it wasnt enough to keep me in. so thats probably why i didnt get into my highschools band. never knew when auditons were
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM

ya zildj those cymbals at both schools are sick and the purple mapex at the highschool could rip someone apart LOL. And I'll tell when the tryiuts are next year aight
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
lewisn27

my school has a yamaha maple costom absolute, pretty nice stuff.
the head of music plays the drums so some times there is a paiste signature mellow 16" crash and a A custom 17" medium crash on the kit, he has some paiste sig 13" mellow hats but i haven't played them....
they usually have zbt's on it, not nice
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

mm my college had three kits

studio kit was some stagg orange drum it, 20x16 bass, 10x8 tom 12x9 tom 14x12 floor.
14x5.5 snare. the bass drum shell was taped together because it was snapped. it was the best sounding kit though.

one music room had really old pearl kit not sure what model.
Sizes
22x18 bass
14x5.5 snare
12x9 tom
14x14 floor
then the second music room had a slingerland kit which was in a mirror finish
Size:
22x18 bass
12x9 tom
13x10 tom
16x16 floor..

cymabals were pretty crap
Stagg ones in studio were best though
16 crash
20 crash ride
and im not sure what highats

rest were meinl and most had cracks in them lol.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Hey I realise the most of you guys are from the USA and go to schools and colleges that have alot of money but i am from New Zealand and go to a puplic secondary school. Although they spend no money on any decent equipment we have a great kit for i build it myself. They gave me $1000 and access to all their spares. They had closet fulled jamed packed of drum gear, lugs, rims, booms, pedal parts, spurs, then while rumishing in their the music technican said that they had some old drums down in the basement they didn't use. I walk down there and i find that they had a old kit with missing parts. i lift the floor tom and found it was really heavy for a 14x14 tom, i took of the skin which had two lugs holding it on and found each drum had carbon fiber/wooden shell (wooden shell witha carbon fiber on the inner part). There was a 20x16 bass drum, 10x8 rack tom, 12x9 rack tom, and 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms all with a old blue wrap that looked as if a 2 year old had been chewing on it. I also remembered that the school had a really old pearl mmx 14x6.5 snare witha chrome wrap. So i took all the drums and took the parts i need from the closet and went home to see what i could do.
I removed the wraps and then got a vanish and ended with these strong dark natural wood shells. I polised the chrome and i then spent the money on a new pearl rack and some booms aswell as remo single plys and coated skins.
Now out schools has one of the best looking kits in the city
Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 AM

I have to use an aged Pearl Export that has become a 4 pience now the tom mounting arms have broken. People always steal the kits wingnuts, and the heads (worn out Pinstripes) sound dead. The top of the snare stand keeps falling off, the ride is made by Pearl and actually sounds okay (dark and washy) if I undo the wingnut slightly, but people keep screwing it down tight. The 18" crash ride looks like a papadum and is keyholed because people steal the felts. My teacher actually came in one day and had to duct tape the snare wires to the reso head, as the butt had broken!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM

My old high school seemed to give all it budget to the music department! it was great!

Gear wise we had:

2 - Pearl Export

1 - Yamaha Stage Custom

1 -Old Yamaha Power Series

1 - Old Premier

1 - Roland td6

countless practise kits

And various cymbals by Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste

I was also recently told they had bought a pile of new stuff at the start of the year including: afew new Roland kits to replace the practise sets with, Iron Cobra Pedals and a new Roland TD20 for the Recording Studio and School Shows!

Not bad for a high school!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

im from england so not high school etc. not as much money i go to a grammar school they focus on language and sport. the sports gd but nt the lang :P

our music department get not a lot. yt our music teacher is ancient and is a classical nut only really keyboards 2 guitars a bass and an old beat up pearl export. spends all his moeny on apple macs. our battle of the bands money was meant to go to a new kit the yr 12 drummers chose. but no he goes and buys an elec kit for yr 11 recording.

but he does have good cymbals. a custom ride and crash but some old zil hi hats

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 PM

In 2001 my high school had a couple of yamaha stage custom kits and a beat up Ayotte custom kit. Cymbals.. man I can probably remember all of them. Sabian HH hats those 13" regular, AA regular hats 14, AA medium thin crash 16", K dark thin 16", HHX stage ride 20", signature ed shaughnessy ride 21", AA chinese 16", I think thats all really.
I have way more cymbals than them right now and I'm on my 4th kit. :D

the 20" x 22" kick drum army
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM

my school takes the cake, ancient premier kit, with lowest end stagg cymbals, the floor tom is very literal as it has no legs and is just on the floor, he rack tom mount is broken and the snare drum it some piece of crap from a store which sells its own brand stuff. im thinking of donating my pearl export to my school when i order a new kit in summer
Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 PM

My Junior high has a tama swingstar which is never tuned and needs new heads desperately(probly been on them for like 10 years). I tune it up whenever I play it but somehow it always manages to sound terrible. For cymbals theve got a zildjian 20" medium ride, and 16" and 17" crashes. haha the worst part though is that they only have 2 stands. 1 boom and one straight.