DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-28-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Cant decide on something

I need new hi hats and a new bass drum pedal, very badly. I only have enough money for one of them as of right now. The hi hats that i am looking at are 14" A Mastersound and the pedal that i want is 5000 series DW. I was wondering if any one has any advice on which one to get now and which to get later?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Cant decide on something

I would go with the pedal personally go with the pedal and i will tell you why.

The pedal will actually effect your playing and probably make it more fluent, when the hi hats will just make it sound better.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, i'd also go for the pedal, you wouldn't want your current pedal to break down at a show.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Go with the cymbals, unless your stand is completly crap, it shouldnt make a DRASTIC change in your quality of playing. Its a hi-hat stand for crying out loud. Meanwhile a pair of mastersounds will make your set sound crisp and clean and ultimatly you sound better.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Administrator

I think he means hi hat cymbals, and bass drum pedal. Pedal first if you already have some cymbals, then try to find some good used hi hat cymbals.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Class A. Also, the DW 5000 is a great pedal. I've been using one for many years.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

yeah go with the pedal. I really wish I could get a better one right now cause all I can play are quarter notes its so unresponsive! so my bass drum skills are horrible.

I repeat: get the pedal.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 02-28-2007, 05:26 AM

well yes, the pedal. what hi hats do ya have right now?? but, it doesnt matter. even if they are crappy, a good pedal will improve your drumming technique.

on that note, does anyone know abt this?? and is it any good??

http://www.vexdirect.com/
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
yeah go with the pedal. I really wish I could get a better one right now cause all I can play are quarter notes its so unresponsive! so my bass drum skills are horrible.

I repeat: get the pedal.
Yeah, my pacific pedal is the same way. It doesn't feel smooth to me at all and doesn't respond good at all either. I feel like if i had a better pedal it would increase my speed a ton on the bass drum.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibhav "Cross" Gadade View Post
well yes, the pedal. what hi hats do ya have right now?? but, it doesnt matter. even if they are crappy, a good pedal will improve your drumming technique.

I have some Paiste 302 hi hats, which don't sound good but i think i can live with them for right now.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 AM

Yeh man I would go for the pedal!
Oh and remember to look around more carefully when you are buying you hi-hats.Make sure you find one's that you genuinley like.But definately go for the pedal first!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibhav "Cross" Gadade View Post

Just looked at that site.To be honest, I wouldn't go near them.It looks like you get what you are paying for which isn't that great.I don't know, thats just my opinion, but I dnt think it would be worth it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
I agree with Class A. Also, the DW 5000 is a great pedal. I've been using one for many years.
Does the 5000 hold up pretty good? I have heard great things about it. How smooth does the pedal feel?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 AM

Would you guys suggest the Turbo 5000 or the Accelerator 5000 pedal?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3476 View Post
Does the 5000 hold up pretty good? I have heard great things about it. How smooth does the pedal feel?
Well, I've had mine for like ten years or so. After about 20 minutes of playing the pin in the hinge slides out and I have to knock it back in. Other than that it is rock solid. I wouldn't really call it smooth- not after trying something like an Axis Longboard. I play with the ball of my foot just above the hinge though. I have pretty good control in that spot.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Buy the Yamaha Flying Dragon Pedal. Pedal is much more important and the Yamaha FD's are much more smoother and well built compared to the DW's.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 AM

The bass drum pedal!! As far as new hi hats those can wait but when you get the chance to replace them look at 12" hats Zildjian remix they sound great!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 AM

If I had to make a choice I would pick the pedal, how ever if buying used is not a problem for you let me suggest this. check out the music go round web site, they deal in used gear and some of there prices are really fair, I like dealing with them rather then ebay because they list a price and either it works for you or it doesnt, you dont have to wait 6 days for an auction to end only to be out bid by $1.57 in the end!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynman View Post
The bass drum pedal!! As far as new hi hats those can wait but when you get the chance to replace them look at 12" hats Zildjian remix they sound great!
I'd stay away of 12" cymbals (especially remix model) as a primary hat; look within the 13"-15" range and don't limit yourself to the big three; try some smaller companies; preferably handmade ones like Bosphorus.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

I would go with a nice dependable pedal that will last you a while.
Then when you get enough money to buy teh new hats, you can, and will have a dependable pedal at the same time.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:36 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. The DW 5000 pedal seems reliable from what i have heard, so i think ill go with that.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 AM

ok guys, really need some help here PLEASE.

I know i was talking about pedals and hi hats and all that stuff, but i think i might have an even bigger problem on my hands. My friends are wanting me to play in a band and start making some music, but i feel like i don't really have the gear to start recording stuff yet. I'm going to try to get some pics up here real soon of my Ludwig kit. But along with the whole pedal and hi hats problem that i was talking about earlier, i only have one crash as of right now and not to mention that my snare sounds like complete crap. So basically I'm tied between buying 4 different things now. I looked for some good deals on ebay but didn't really see anything that got my attention. I am currently looking for a job and have put in applications everywhere. I have $230 to work with right now. Here are some of the products I'm looking at getting.

Pork Pie, Acrylic snare 7x13
14" master sound hi hats (would have to save up some more money)
Z custom 17" medium crash
DW 5000 pedal

I would like to know your guys opinion on which one i should get now and which ones i should wait to get. I know this sounds like a bunch of confusion, and sorry for that but i feel kinda stuck right now. My hats are starting to crack, but should be able to hold up for a little while longer. So for you people that are in bands, got any suggestions? which piece would you say i need most?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Well the snare is sorta the voice of your set. I would look around, you might find a good used supra or something of that sort. But be carefull its not your tuning or your heads. Do a nice tune-up and then see how your snare sounds. Then I would go bass pedal as said before.
Is your friends band looking to start making some music. Because, man I think you will be a little ways away from the studio therefore hats can wait and I think you can live with one crash.

My $.02
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
Well the snare is sorta the voice of your set. I would look around, you might find a good used supra or something of that sort. But be carefull its not your tuning or your heads. Do a nice tune-up and then see how your snare sounds. Then I would go bass pedal as said before.
Is your friends band looking to start making some music. Because, man I think you will be a little ways away from the studio therefore hats can wait and I think you can live with one crash.

My $.02
Yeah i have tried some different heads on the snare and stuff like that, but its just got this ring to it that wont seem to go away. Were trying to put some music together as of right now, but i wasn't sure which item to go for if i were to play a live show i would like to have what i need for it to sound good. I get what you mean about the studio not really being something to think about as of right now to. So in your opinion, i should look at some nice snares and a pedal? I have looked at some good deals off eBay to. Some of the members on here said they have saved a lot of money by buying some of the stuff of there.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

The snare would be my first priority if my pedal is playable. I know from experience, when you play live or even just in front of people, you change and adapt very quick and you should probably be able to live with the pedal you own untill you get money for a NEW pedal. New is good for hardware...it will last longer. And I have just seen that somebody has kept a DW5000 pedal for 12 years so you seem to be looking at the right pedal. Try out some snares at your local store to see what sounds good.

Also drums sound different in different acoustics. In my basement my drums ring like crap, in my garage they are sweet and sound near perfect. Stand 20 feet away and wow sounds even better.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
The snare would be my first priority if my pedal is playable. I know from experience, when you play live or even just in front of people, you change and adapt very quick and you should probably be able to live with the pedal you own untill you get money for a NEW pedal. New is good for hardware...it will last longer. And I have just seen that somebody has kept a DW5000 pedal for 12 years so you seem to be looking at the right pedal. Try out some snares at your local store to see what sounds good.

Also drums sound different in different acoustics. In my basement my drums ring like crap, in my garage they are sweet and sound near perfect. Stand 20 feet away and wow sounds even better.
When i took my kit over to my friends house a while back to play some music, my whole set sounded completely different, so i know what you mean about different sounds in different places. My set is in my basement as of right now because thats really the only place to put it. It use to be up in my room, but then my mom didn't want my neighbors complaining or anything like that. And there wouldn't be any room for it in my garage and its also winter here in Michigan. ill check out some different snares and see what looks good. Yeah most members on this site said that the 5000 pedal is a really good choice, so I'm gonna look into getting one of them when i can.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Starclassic...QQcmdZViewItem

quick search on ebay : )

just throwin out options
Old 03-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Pioneer Member

You could try finding both used although you may not find some Mastersounds used. You might find some better hi hats though. I would still go with the pedal first. speed isn't the issue; enjoying playing the drums is the issue and if your pedal is crap, you aren't going to have too much enjoyment!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78564594
Old 03-18-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
You could try finding both used although you may not find some Mastersounds used. You might find some better hi hats though. I would still go with the pedal first. speed isn't the issue; enjoying playing the drums is the issue and if your pedal is crap, you aren't going to have too much enjoyment!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78564594
I looked for some 14" mastersounds on eBay but i couldn't find anything, all i could find was 13". Yeah i just want to be able to have stuff that not only sounds good but yet is fun to play on and doesn't break all the time.