DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-12-2005, 06:20 PM

Default George Kollias here...

If you like extreme metal check out George Kollias. Noone has mentioned him yet. Definately one of the best metal drummers out there. If you're a fan of Jordison you'll like him I think.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: George Kollias

uhhh, wow. my ears heard the sounds, and my brain refuses to let itself think that that guy is real. that's too fast =\
Old 01-01-2006, 03:01 PM

George "The Juggernaut" Kollias strikes yet another forum I see.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

man this guy is a beast on the kit, and so nice too he gave me and online tutoriale on blasting and 7/8 timing :)
Old 07-17-2006, 04:41 PM

Probably the the best death metal drummer out there, also has the the fastest feet recorded onto a cd, freakish double bass speed, but more impressive is his acceleration with the pedals, i hear he also pushing up the speed in his practice sessions.....270+ will be with us soon i suspect.....respect to him he is at the top of the pile at the moment. Annihilation of the Wicked.....truely mind-blowing if your into death metal drumming
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Pioneer Member

He's your teacher!? Man, that's plain unfair, I want a famous teacher! Actually, wait, I have one.
Ah well, pretty pointless post but yes, hail to george!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad9898 View Post
Probably the the best death metal drummer out there, also has the the fastest feet recorded onto a cd, freakish double bass speed, but more impressive is his acceleration with the pedals, i hear he also pushing up the speed in his practice sessions.....270+ will be with us soon i suspect.....respect to him he is at the top of the pile at the moment. Annihilation of the Wicked.....truely mind-blowing if your into death metal drumming
Yes GEORGE is amazing and a great person TOO..
George has the fastest single strokes with the feet in a song and the fastest doublestrokes was recorded by ME....LOL Shameles PLUG
www.myspace.com/judeathevoice click on BUHAY MO to hear the song....
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Kollias is the replacement for Nile's old drummer, I believe. And he simply does it better than the previous. I love the band as a whole. Super heavy, and amazing technicality. Kollias slays.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 AM

George Kollias is a killer at the drumset. He's among the fastest drummers I've ever seen, might even be faster than Ray Herrera...
Old 02-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Smasher View Post
George Kollias is a killer at the drumset. He's among the fastest drummers I've ever seen, might even be faster than Ray Herrera...
i saw Raymond about 6 six years very nice style and super tight, however if we are talking just speed here, George is in a different league.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 AM

He is a monster and a very awsome drummer, if u get his cd with nile all his stuff is super fast, 270+ has everyone has said. I cant wait till nile have another cd coem out :D i expect 290+ lol
Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Apparently Hell Hammer goes 290 on one dimmu song

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Hellhammer has done nothing in singles above 240 i believe, if he is indeed hitting 290 its either triplets or heel-toe i believe probably the latter, great drummer though no doubt. heel-toe is fine ,just has a different feel to singles for me.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah, it's in a thread in general discussion. There is no mention of heel toe as far as I'm aware, but you're probably right.

I don't like heel toe, sounds off to me.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 AM

Nile came to New Zealand and I got to be George's Drumtech for an evening. He is one super-cool guy. Very friendly, and he loves absolutely everything about drumming. One thing I thought was really cool is that although he's primarily known for being a blast beater, during soundcheck he laid into a very cool shuffle - so he has the chops in other areas too!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
Apparently Hell Hammer goes 290 on one dimmu song
Yes, the Sacriligious Scorn off Dimmu's latest album, Hellhammer hits almost 300 bpm for about 30 seconds.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 PM

I have admired his drumming for a long time now and he is 1 of the fastes drummers on bass out there. he is one of the few who can record those speeds on an album truley impressive but 1 thing thats weird is... i have mentiond him a couple of times and so have others and annhilation of the wicked is mind blown just like his other songs
Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM

I think it's in The Chosen Legacy that he goes 300 or whatever. It definitely isn't in The Sacreligious Scorn cause I practice to that song and there's no way I can go 300!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just added George Kollias to the Drummerworld Artist Rooster....check also out some Videos from his DVD!!!!

Here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...e_Kollias.html

Bernhard
Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 AM

200 to 280? That was crazy. We truly are being visited by aliens, and most of them are drummers.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thank you all for your great support guys,i really appreciate it.....
It's great to be in Drummerworld, Bernhard and Drummerworld are definitely true supporters of drumming and i feel very honored to be here as well.Keep supporting Drummerworld!
Thanks again and cheers to all!

George
Old 05-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Hi George

Was a big pleasure to build the site for you - so great drumming.

Thanks for joining the forum - what a nice surprise!!!!

See you soon....

Bernhard
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 AM

Default Re: George Kollias here...

Hello George!

Great to have you here. I saw a video of you and Thomas Lang a while back. Were there any ideas exchanged between you two and if so, what were they?

Thanks!

Tom
Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Hey George,
Its good to have you here. I want you to know that you have a major fan following here in India. (That includes me too)

Now theres this major problem I'm facing. When I practice on the floor, I seem to have complete control over my feet up to 210 bpm. However when I play on the kit the same motion is not translated to the skin. I've figured out that there is a slight lag in the slave pedal. Other than replacing the pedal is there any way of overcoming this problem?

Also any verdict on the demondrives ?

(PS I'm a good friend of your lawyer Mr. Shashwat Gupta hehe)

Cheers,
Hamza.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumba_Zumba View Post
Hello George!

Great to have you here. I saw a video of you and Thomas Lang a while back. Were there any ideas exchanged between you two and if so, what were they?

Thanks!

Tom
Ha ha,that was just a fun jam on my drum pads backstage.I invite him to come see the show and we just spend a whole day talking drums.Thomas,other than one of my all time favorite drummers is also one of the coolest persons you will ever meet...
Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
Hey George,
Its good to have you here. I want you to know that you have a major fan following here in India. (That includes me too)

Now theres this major problem I'm facing. When I practice on the floor, I seem to have complete control over my feet up to 210 bpm. However when I play on the kit the same motion is not translated to the skin. I've figured out that there is a slight lag in the slave pedal. Other than replacing the pedal is there any way of overcoming this problem?

Also any verdict on the demondrives ?

(PS I'm a good friend of your lawyer Mr. Shashwat Gupta hehe)

Cheers,
Hamza.
Hey man,
give to my brother Shashwat my greetings!

The Demon Drive is an awesome pedal,totally amazed from the quality and the features it has.I played it for 2 days when i was in Finland for a Clinic with Pearl.I still use Axis though,i am using them for the last 8 or so years and they are definitely work the best for me.

Practicing on the floor doesn't really help...If you want to do serious work get on your drumkit,period...
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Whats up George? Its great to have you on this board.

I tried the demon drive as well, it was a really nice pedal, slightly heavier feel than axis and a little more powerful. One of the best double pedals you can buy, you can't tell a difference between the slave and master pedals. For two single pedals though, i'll stay with axis as well, still the best pedals out there in many ways.

I've got to get practicing, keep us updated on the new Nile album!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Hello George,
Long time not seen...since the Planet X live in Athens...remember?

I joined the drummerworld forum at last! I wish you the best and i hope i'll be able to go out for coffee with you and Stelios soon... the 2 times we'he been met were AMAZING for me!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

Hey George,
I have your dvd and was wondering if you have any plans to put out a book that has all the exercises on the dvd? I really like the dvd a lot but i would really like to have all the exercises prented out that way i can work on them all.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM

Hey George,
Thanks for info :)
The thing is i get only 2 hours to jam daily so on the kit I practice other things like polyrhythms and dynamics, guess I'l have to squeeze in some double bass there hehe.
Btw congratulations on your endorsement (I'm a bit late though)

Cheers.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Hi George firstly i just wanted to say that you are a huge inspiration to me and although i'm not a death metal drummer, i greatly admire how you can play at the tempos you do throughout one of your shows it's really awesome. I'm sure you hear these types of questions all of the time but just a couple on double bass work.

I play heel up and can play 200 BPM competently although with me purchasing a new pedal recently, finding my desired settings has become a bit more difficult so i am still altering my set up. I watched a couple of your clinic videos on youtube about ankle motion and about how you can achieve speeds greater than 210 using this, however i can't seem to get in a position comfortable enough to play using my ankles. Is this a technique that i will have to completely relearn how to play double bass? It seems that i can't physically bring myself to play that fast even after 4 years!

Also just out of curiosity how high do you sit on your throne and, How is your spring tension? I know everyone is different but i just wanted to know so it could possibly help me with learning this motion.

Is direct drive a really important aspect of playing faster speeds? as i use a Sleishman double pedal.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Hi George ! Im honored to see you in this forum.
Since i started my drumming (like 17 months ago) you had always been my idol hehe.
I just got a few questions are simple questions i wont ask you to explain me anything :D.
Ok:
1.-What's your max speed on the double bass and on the hands (of course your max controlable speed) ? (BPM 16th notes).
2.-What grip do you use ? Fingers, Wrist, You mix them ?
3.-Does really Air drumming help to the double bass speed (I mean when you do air drumming with your feet with the pass of time you feel it helped you or what really helped you is to sit on the drumkit ) ?
4.-When you wake up from the bed you can do your entire max speed sitting in the drumkit or you must first warm up for a while ?
5.-When you achieve a nice double bass speed (i mean when for first time in your drumming life you achieve a quickly double bass) how you felt ?

Last edited by vzladrummer; 08-27-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Hey George

im a really big fan and a beginner drummer myself, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to start double bass drumming, i have the pedals its just how to do the foot technique because every time i try my beat is uneven and i run out of energy in 10 seconds

it would be really great if you could help me

one of your biggest fans

Vivek
Old 09-26-2009, 11:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek View Post
Hey George

im a really big fan and a beginner drummer myself, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to start double bass drumming, i have the pedals its just how to do the foot technique because every time i try my beat is uneven and i run out of energy in 10 seconds

it would be really great if you could help me

one of your biggest fans

Vivek
Hi Vivek,
getting into double bass is very easy, what you really have to understand from the beginning AND later on is that your right foot will be leading... This is what i'm thinking most times and on most patterns, if my right foot is on the beat then we are "ok".
As for your endurance, well this actually comes with months and years of playing, your problem though sounds like you are playing very "tight" and you need to relax a little bit...Try some double bass at the lowest volume you can, you'll find out it's actually harder to control your feet but will help you to relax when you play at normal volume.

Hope it helps...

George
Old 09-26-2009, 11:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzladrummer View Post
Hi George ! Im honored to see you in this forum.
Since i started my drumming (like 17 months ago) you had always been my idol hehe.
I just got a few questions are simple questions i wont ask you to explain me anything :D.
Ok:
1.-What's your max speed on the double bass and on the hands (of course your max controlable speed) ? (BPM 16th notes).
2.-What grip do you use ? Fingers, Wrist, You mix them ?
3.-Does really Air drumming help to the double bass speed (I mean when you do air drumming with your feet with the pass of time you feel it helped you or what really helped you is to sit on the drumkit ) ?
4.-When you wake up from the bed you can do your entire max speed sitting in the drumkit or you must first warm up for a while ?
5.-When you achieve a nice double bass speed (i mean when for first time in your drumming life you achieve a quickly double bass) how you felt ?

1.16th notes, max speed? I have done some 280bpm 16ths hands and feet, but it really doesn't matter, don't get obsessed with the bpm thing cause it always depends on your good day. At those tempos, the ammount of energy and pushing is getting out of control, some times we play our fastest songs and the band complaints i am going too fast....means adrenaline is UP THERE....

2.Of course i mix wrists and fingers, but the main power comes from wrists (moeller motion), i like playing hard and also wrists deliver more control, depends on what you are playing though....always!

3.I don't think Air Drumming does anything,i do it all the time cause i am a drummer and i can't relax (ha ha) but it's just natural. What it REALLY helps is get yourself on your kit, this is what really works and i wish you have this opportunity to jam on your kit everyday...cause some drummers don't have that.

4.No, it's like waking up and running as fast as you can....your feet might fall off...ha ha ha

5.We went out for party, got drunk and marked the day so we can celebrate every year...ha ha,i am joking of course.Well, unfortunately it doesn't just come like that, it takes time, practice, rehearsals, shows...your muscles work different under all these situations.What i would say to you is ENJOY the way up even if it's speed or technique or whatever, drumming is not an achievement but fun!

George
Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
Hi George firstly i just wanted to say that you are a huge inspiration to me and although i'm not a death metal drummer, i greatly admire how you can play at the tempos you do throughout one of your shows it's really awesome. I'm sure you hear these types of questions all of the time but just a couple on double bass work.
Thanks man..

Quote:
I play heel up and can play 200 BPM competently although with me purchasing a new pedal recently, finding my desired settings has become a bit more difficult so i am still altering my set up. I watched a couple of your clinic videos on youtube about ankle motion and about how you can achieve speeds greater than 210 using this, however i can't seem to get in a position comfortable enough to play using my ankles. Is this a technique that i will have to completely relearn how to play double bass? It seems that i can't physically bring myself to play that fast even after 4 years!
Well, many drummers ask me this and they think ankle motion is a new technique or something.It's the natural evolution of your motion in order to play faster....the more you try the more you get it and one day YOU WILL get it even if you want it or not....always if you keep pushing up the tempos.
Think about this, you push your legs and you get up to a certain speed, then you get faster and you see your body is asking you to use more toes and less legs. That's where you are using your ankles more to get the front part of your foot to play faster.Knowing the results from drummers that can do it, your approach will be a lot easier and quicker....it's really simple, and you also need to relax a lot, when you work on motion or technique try to always be relaxed and analyze everything.

Quote:
Also just out of curiosity how high do you sit on your throne and,
A little more than 90 degrees.Just enough to loose my ankles a little more but still low enough to keep the power.

Quote:
How is your spring tension?
Tight as much as it gets.With my Axis A Longboards this is not funny, ha ha

Quote:
I know everyone is different but i just wanted to know so it could possibly help me with learning this motion.
You are not learning a new thing, you are getting what you have on another level.

Quote:
Is direct drive a really important aspect of playing faster speeds? as i use a Sleishman double pedal.
Direct Drive is better, i use Axis A Longboards but i also use a starp drive Eliminator on my jazz set, pretty much same speed on both...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
Hey George,
Thanks for info :)
The thing is i get only 2 hours to jam daily so on the kit I practice other things like polyrhythms and dynamics, guess I'l have to squeeze in some double bass there hehe.
Btw congratulations on your endorsement (I'm a bit late though)

Cheers.
Thanks,
my Masterworks just arrived actually:
http://www.georgekollias.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1808
(sorry for posting another forum's link here...)
Old 09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
Hey George,
I have your dvd and was wondering if you have any plans to put out a book that has all the exercises on the dvd? I really like the dvd a lot but i would really like to have all the exercises prented out that way i can work on them all.
No book, the "book" idea what the Intense Metal Drumming (with plenty more info there since it would be a book) but i thought the visual information is much more understandable and fun to watch so i did the DVD. I will be making another DVD late 2010 though...

All the exercises will posted on my Website after the DVD does it's own circle.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsman View Post
Hello George,
Long time not seen...since the Planet X live in Athens...remember?

I joined the drummerworld forum at last! I wish you the best and i hope i'll be able to go out for coffee with you and Stelios soon... the 2 times we'he been met were AMAZING for me!
Virgil killed both times!
That was great time there bro.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy+Hands View Post
Whats up George? Its great to have you on this board.

I tried the demon drive as well, it was a really nice pedal, slightly heavier feel than axis and a little more powerful. One of the best double pedals you can buy, you can't tell a difference between the slave and master pedals. For two single pedals though, i'll stay with axis as well, still the best pedals out there in many ways.

I've got to get practicing, keep us updated on the new Nile album!
The new Nile album is done, will be out in a few weeks...