DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: NUTHA JASON's kit with new additions...

Hey i remember that website. i posted my kit there and then googled other places to post my kit and that's how i discovered that drummerworld had a forum (and actually what a forum was by the way)
that was about a year and three months ago.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Senior Administrator

Default My new mini hihat

in anticipation of putting my double bass pedal on my gig kit later this year (when i know how to use the thing) i bought an auxillary hihat stand and then decided to make up my own minihihats. so i did some research. on the paiste website (http://www.paiste.com/products/) you can listen to the sounds of each cymbal via wav file. very nice. so i decided i want a 10'' hihat...that means either buying a dedicated 10'' minihat or going for my own combo of splashes and getting something more unique. so i decided to get a 10'' rude splash and put a 10'' 2002 rock splash underneath it. i have since used it in three gigs and love it. surprisingly it is lower toned than my 14'' hat. i modified the stand so there is a big lazy spring underneath the bottom hat. this way if i hit the top hat with the tip of my stick i get a short chick sound but if i bash it with the shoulder of the stick it barks. the sound is generally short and raw and ideal for the purpose. i've tried combining it with the ride to make interesting accent and wash patterns. i was worried that it would not be loud enough but cymbal makes don't get much louder than paiste rudes so it even competes dynamically with the huge 22'' sheet of bronze next door.

so here is an overview shot to show its placement...

for other pics of my babe (sans the new hat) see ...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=nutha

j

Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: My new mini hihat

That's very cute. I think I saw Thomas Lang/And or Marco Minnemann emply mini hats for effects. They are almost like finger cymbals in effect.

I see that you have all the aquarian drumheads I ordered.

Midwest percussion is sllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww wwwww.

I may have to experiment with some real "cutty" mini hats one day.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:32 PM
KARL MEMBER

Great!! I really like to have a second hi-hat, too!!
Paiste`s Rude cymbals are very loud, or?

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 PM

A high school friend had a set of mini-hats that I played a few times. I had a blast with them. I like Bozzio's set next to his snare...great for that hi-hat/snare interaction. These may be something I may incorporate to my kit later on. I'll try to post some pics of my stuff soon. I have my Tama Swingstars all cleaned up and just about ready.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Pioneer Member

super! got any sound clips of it? i would love to hear the sound of it..
Old 12-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Administrator

sound very similar to this hat... (click icon)

j

Old 12-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
sound very similar to this hat... (click icon)

j
cool, maybe i shall get one.. :D
Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Senior Administrator

Exident vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true);

wanna know more about you and your drums
Quote:
hi
i saw your drumset...ists amazing and nice. but i dont know whether i should ask or whether i am allowed to, but would tell me what your drumset cost?
and is drumming your hobby or job? its so amazing, the techniques you play, the drumkit you have.....that is my dream.
i cant image. do you learned drums at your own or with a teacher? and which drumbook you used?
ok would be happy to know
thank you
have anice day in london

Old 01-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Administrator

cost? according to my recordsi have spent about £3500 on her over the last year. but my drumming is my secondary (weekend career), so i do get paid. i keep it all on a spreadsheet so that i can justify spending money on new gear. currently i am more than £1000 in the green so its all profit at the moment. one of these years i'm going to buy something even better ...a drumset to retire with. a pearl masters perhaps in burlwood with hart digital drums and maymics.

as for your other questions:
i'm a self taught drummer but i have had advantages. my day job is teaching so i have a degree and plenty of experience on how learning takes place. this means i can apply the principles to myself. for the majority of my time as a drummer (now over 16 years) i had no books or videos or even the internet. i learned mainly by listening to music and then trying through trial and error to get those sounds and feelings out of less than the best gear. a breakthrough occoured when i bought my roland drumkit in 2001 and discovered A) metronomes B) i could play along to my fovourite songs without struggling to hear them (i was too poor to afford a good stereo in my youth). with that all the skills accelerated. but you must understand that for ten years i had mainly worked on grooves and had virtually no rudiments nor chops other than some weird ones i had invented myself. i had a handful of fills and a lot of rock drumbeats in my toolbox. in 2001 i began to take drumming far more seriously and so i began to build up my collection of rudiments and also to try other genres out. i joined my first cover band in 2004 and was shocked by my very strict and pushy singer/leader into getting much better quicker (or be fired). i have since outstripped that whole era in my drums and now i guess i'm one of the best drummers he's ever worked with. in the last two years i have built up a collection of 15 dvds and several books plus i have made up many exercises and drills of my own which i hope to make into my own drumming book soon.
thanks
j

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 01-06-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 PM

i realy cant image....could i get some tipps for free...please? im collect some money because since to years im playing a 200 drumset that is complet bad. but its good for pratice.
im learning for my self and i play things i heard or with some drumbooks and with many things of drummerworld.com :)
but could you give some tipps how i could get as good as you....just some tipps for learning.
i would be very impressed.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Administrator

no problem. by the way my first drumkit that i played for 8 years cost the equivalent of 50 pounds! so we are in the same boat. most important is to really listen to music. i used to lie on my bed with drumming magazines and listen to heavy metal and hard rock bands while looking at pictures of drumsets and imagining how thos drumbeats would look being played...visualisation. then i would run out to the shed and try what i had seen in my minds eye. my best two 'drumming teachers' in this regard were phil rudd (ac/dc) and john bonham (led zepellin)...bonham to this day is a major influence on how i create on a kit.
i will post more later. got to go now.
j

Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 PM

little bit german but "there is falling a stone from my heart"
im listen to blakc, heavy and death metal while looking some magazines like the sonor or pearl guidbook and im dreaming to be on stage and how it would feel to have all these drum things that a good player has. and even if see someone who is playing drums i wanna be as good as he and than start practice more and more. but if i see all the guys at the drummer forum i become really small i think. so please let me sleep better by giv some other drum-learn-tipp. thank you
Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 AM

Ive been reading this site for past few months and loving it to bits. At the same time I get very depressed reading and seeing all this great stuff, knowing ive got so much to go..but reading your words and experiences (almost excatly like mine) its pleasing to hear that you dont have to start as a 6 year old..

How old are you by interest?

nice talking
Marc
Old 01-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Slayer_metal_head

Great idea with the higher cymbals i think thats why bands these days dont have any rack toms!! i like the kit with the roto dealy and the firecracker then the toms its insane and the cymbals are quality but i dont spot any double bass anywhere?

Also what kind of beer you guzzlin' there?

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 01-13-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Administrator

to slayer
the best beer in england has got to be stella artois. hmmmm beeeerr arrrrrrghghghh.

i bought a double pedal two months ago and i will put it on my gig kit in a few months when i know how to use it. for the time being it lives on my practice kit.at the moment i can do 400 strokes a minute neatly and for a long time. i want to up this by 100 and also learn a few standard fills and d/pedal beats before i start giging with it. its an iron cobra.

to marc
i am 30 (so i've been drumming non stop for around 16 years).

thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

nj

Old 01-13-2006, 09:42 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
to slayer
the best beer in england has got to be stella artois. hmmmm beeeerr arrrrrrghghghh.

nj
Stella? Stella? The devil's urine? Oh well, give me a Shepherd Neame Spitfire any day of the week or even a Guinness. Bah; I have expensive tastes.

J, do you get your Aquarian's from Wembley Drum Centre? I just wish they put the heads on the main retail store, I got very self concious going up there and asking and in the end I didn't actually buy any. They seemed a bit snobbish in there; they probably saw I was just a kid with my dad and wrote me off. No matter.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Administrator

i think the wdc is way over priced. i buy everyting i can on line. it would take me 45 minutes to drive there from where i live so i figure i could spend that 45 minutes surfing and end up saving a bunch. i always check out their prices but to be brutally honest they are consistently more expensive than nearly every other place. my rack was more than 40% cheaper from an online store (including delivery) than wembly as i recall. ADC drums in liverpool are always worth checking out online and do a search for anyone lower than them.

j

ps: but you can get stella nearly everywhere.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

You can get Guinness from nearly everywhere and Shepherd Neame isn't hard to come across in Kent. They even sponsored a rugby festival I played in when I was little. (Playing Blackheath on Sunday, for Gravesend; I'm mildly scared) WDC did seem a bit overpriced to me, but I got a good deal on my DW5000, they were on sale for 100 and I wasn't going to complain for that price.

They didn't take me all that seriously though, when I went in there it wasn't that busy and I asked if I could do a tryout, so they took me into the room with the crumbiest kits they had; in the end I went into a room with better kits and re-tuned them and played around with various pedals. If I were driving I'd be going there more often, but it was a 3 hour drive through traffic...
Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Stella is lurvely. 10 pints of that on a Friday night and you truly are bulletproof!

I have never been to WDC but was thinking of a visit in the near future just to play around on some kits. I have a shop near me in Kentish Town called Professional Percussion, they are the sister store of Footes in Golden Sq. I found Footes to be overpriced and the people arrogant but strangely PP is OK. I go there to get small things as I find Andy's drum shop in Denmark Street a very friendly place to be although it only has a limited stock of stuff.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:14 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

We've had the Andy's discussion before; but man that is a great shop. There's a shop I went to in Gloucster last year that I forget the name of; but I know the owners and they had the most fantastic cymbal selection I've seen since WDC. I got some money off some hardware I bought and a free Gibraltar rack clamp. Good stuff.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Administrator

i got my roland from pro perc a couple of years ago.good price.

so titan and MFB, when should we three london boys meet for a stella? could get rosco and womble as well...and a couple of the others. perhaps a drummerworld informal for all the london crowd. what do you think?
j

Old 01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

so titan and MFB, when should we three london boys meet for a stella? could get rosco and womble as well...and a couple of the others. perhaps a drummerworld informal for all the london crowd. what do you think?
j
I'm never around London to meet up; can't get there easily seeing as I'm skint. Plus you'd be condoning underage drinking ;-) And it's Guinness.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Womble

Quote:

j
I think that'd be just swell. But count me out if we're drinking wifebeater :)

I've only been to the Wembley Drum Centre once, and foolishly by train. It took me bloody ages to get there, then I spent God-knows how long wandering aimlessly around Wembley in mid-summer trying to find it. And once I found it, I didn't like the staff at all, so I've never been back. I tend to go to Chas E. Footes, where unlike TitanSound, I find the staff friendlier than anywhere else.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Pioneer Member

I think its a great idea.

Dont worry MFB, you are mature beyond your years and I can imagine you wont be throwing up after 3 sips of Guinness...hehehe. As soon as you get some spare cash give us a holler and we can arrange a date/place too all hook up.

Edit:

It was a few years ago Womble so it could be different nowadays!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Spare cash requires job. Job requires effort. Oh well, it'd definately be something to do when I've got some cash just lying around, like it does.

I know, we could start Bonsai Cash trees... 20 anyone?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Hey Jason,

To start with, I love your kit and specially your cymbals. Right now I don't have the money to throw at them (you probably know what the stuff costs here in SA), but I bashed various Paiste's the other day at Paul Bothner Music and have made up my mind that a substantial collection of 2002's is what I am aiming for. One day. When I can actually play properly. And when I can afford a decent kit. And when I have a band. If I ever have a band. Wait, I'm spiralling into a bad space here...

I saw a pic of your old SA band in the Pics thread. What was the name of the band and where did you play? Ten years ago would have put you in a pretty cool era of live SA music, with all the festivals (Rustler's Valley, Splashy Fen, Oppikoppi, Up the Creek) kicking off. I should have got into drumming back then - can really kick myself for leaving it so late. But hey, I've gone to see 30-somethings play before. So others might too.

Greetings from a hot and sunny Cape Town.

P.S. I've been stuck on Windhoek Lager for most of the past decade now. I think I love it.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Senior Administrator

hey a saffa on the site...welcome mate.
thanks.

yes i played with kevin botha of mango groove fame ... his project at the time was called the groove babies but was quickly changed to cold train and then finally to SOUTH for the years i was with band. we mainly played the roxy rhythm bar in jo'burg and we did do oppie koppie and splashy although i cannot remember exactly which years those were.
then i left for london. the band's new name is quite cool...concussion girl.
so look them up.

and as for equipment in south africa it is ludicrously over priced. it took me forever to afford even a moderate semi pro kit.

j

in SA my beer was always black-label although i really liked the flavour of windhoek.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Yep, most music equipment here costs exactly twice as much as in the USA. And we earn roughly half their salaries, so you can make that four times more expensive. Which explains my Export with pst3 Paistes. But hey, they don't sound too bad to me (with Evans and Aquarian heads and a loud-as-hell Wuhan crash added). And I have a jol playing them. And now that I have a kit, I'm in no real rush to find something better - I have all the time in the world to track down the World's Most Amazing Drum Bargain.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Administrator

you have a fantastic attitude...

i firmly believe (from years of experience) that learning to play on less than the best drums will make a finer drummer out of you...then when that evetual dream kit is yours you make aquantum leap in your ability. so good luck.
j
the weather in the cape must be great today...mid summer. do you surf?

j

Old 01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Um, do I surf? Let's see... I own a surfboard. But I don't really surf. Bought it (a busted and repaired Mini-Mal) off a mate who had to move up to Jo'burg last year. And I've been out twice at Muizenberg (the beginner's beach), but only managed to successfully get to my feet and ride a wave out once. Struggling to find time for this.

First priority this year is to become a competent drummer (second priority is to groove my golf swing). I have some drumming experience - marching band at school as well as national military service in the army band, but kit work has been very limited. Luckily we have a large empty office at work and a co-worker plays bass, so we jam some evenings. Just basic grooves that we make up as we go along. Highlight of my week.

And yes, Cape Town is just beautiful right now. Some djembe and fire collective started gathering on Clifton 2nd beach Monday nights and this has snowballed into a huge weekly event. Not particularly good tribal drumming (too many wannabe earthy posers with designer dreads and expensive djembes) but fun nonetheless. Incredible sunsets.

Love this forum. Learnt more the past few weeks about drums and drumming than the previous 30 years.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Administrator

sounds like you surf as well as i do, lol. ironic because my band is SWARM (surfer who are rock musicians) and like the beachboys only one member of our band actually surfs.

did you see the : 'our other drums' thread? its got djembes etc including my babe:

regards
j

Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
sounds like you surf as well as i do, lol. ironic because my band is SWARM (surfer who are rock musicians) and like the beachboys only one member of our band actually surfs.

did you see the : 'our other drums' thread? its got djembes etc including my babe:

regards
j
Very Beautiful Djembe...I like the Rim where it is (Rope-Tied)...This must be expensive...
Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Jason,

That's one good looking djembe. I'll try and get a pic of mine up there soon. Cape Town is flooded with djembes - all from up West-Africa (Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Ghana etc.) and they're flogged here as tourist curios. Not cheap, I might add. And a bit odd, since these drums travel 6000km down the continent only to be sold here to tourists who just assume that they're from here. Traditional South African percussion is way different. And generally not as much fun to play. The tension in the djembe skin just makes it so versatile and "ringy".

Does your band do original material or covers? Do you have any recordings?

Jacques
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Administrator

we are one of the hardest working cover bands in london: last year we did more than one hundred gigs. but at the same time we are writing and devloping our original material. our lead singer is a perfectionist and his idea of a demo is what most people consider an album (he is also a pro sound engineer with years of experience under his belt so you can imagine what recodring is like).
here is a thread with one of our original sounding covers (we jam them all and make them our own)
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5303

also check out our website in my signature below for four of our originas. these are finished ones bt already there are three we are working on that are far better. i can't wait for his permission to post them up here.

as for djembes...yes she was quite expensive but she is the loudest djembe i have ever heard and tonal separation that is cosmic. i've always wanted to make my own one though. one day when i see some tree surgeons chopping up a felled cherry tree or something i will ask them for a good section of trunk.

j

Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Administrator

Default SOUND EDGE hihats RULE

so i go to drumshack (in clapham) with a mate to help him buy a second hand drumkit and amongst the dusty stacks of second-hand cymbals i see a wavy edge. so pull it out and yes, its a black label 2002 14'' sound edge hihat cymbal.

now i've always been a bit wary of sound edges...but i'd never tried one out and i do love the sound of bonham's cymbals so i thought i would have a go. last night i put this old cymbal underneath my newer 2002 medium hat (bottom). the result was superb. the new hat was heavy and crisp but so articulate i was floored. i got the loudest most defined 'chick' sound when i was playing with my foot (it even cut through the wash on my 22'' ride) and as for playing her splashy (a la led zep rock'nroll intro style) she sang with a superb dynamic range and control was far easier than with any other hat i've ever tried. last night i fell in love with hihat playing again.

j

here is a vid of it with some idea of the sound.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZPFLLBSB

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 03-05-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
foghorn2

Default Re: SOUND EDGE hihats RULE

On my old mapex set I used some Sabian B8 Highs. Really sounded bad until I turned them into Sound Edge hats with my hammer! It worked. Well it still souded like crap, but a bit better!

I now use a SE Signature Paiste 14" and will never go back to anything else. The old Alpha SE sounds similar though. Great 2nd choice.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Pioneer Member

I heard Paiste SIgnature Sound Edge hi hats, and they were awesome. Dark, very, very defined.

Unfortuanately, very, very expensive as well.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:53 PM
foghorn2

My playing has a great example of the SE Signatures:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8671

You could even hear the chicks played by the foot between the rolls!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior Administrator

hey foghorn2...will you post some pics of your Sabian B8 Highs and how you modified them in the CYMBAL MOCIFICATIONS THREAD?

signature cymbals are the true great cymbals on the planet franklin. i envy you.

here are some pics: