DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-21-2007, 01:57 AM

Default cheap rogers kit, well loved

Hey everybody, I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, but havent posted very often. I'd been wanting to show you all my kit for a while and finally decided to do it because my new aax dark crash came in today.

So, I've got a brook mays rogers kit. I bought it a little over two years ago because I played percussion in middle school and turned in the snare/bell kit i had to get a full kit. I didnt know very much about drums then, but luckily i got a kit with rim mounted toms instead of shell mounted ones and sabian b8s instead of some other lousy cymbal pack. I'd love to upgrade my kit, but i have very little income. This is also the reason why i have not gotten lessons (but i want to very much).

I spent a while playing with it, and jamming with my guitarist friends who happened to pick up their instrument at the same time. We've gotten to know each other's styles very well and are in a few bands together... an indie band (my guitarist friend is on bass here) and a grindcore one (guitarist is on guitar). I'm also involved in a few other projects that haven't really decided on a direction yet.
I enjoy almost all types of music and try to play them all (with varying levels of success).

So here's the specs.

cymbals:
sabian B8:14in hihat, 16in thin crash, 20in ride
sabian AAX:18in dark crash
wuhan:18in china
I also have a stack made from a 8in circular saw blade and a sabian B8 8in splash. It gives a nice trashy sound blended with the sound of the splash with very short sustain.

drums: black wrap.
22x17 bass (not sure abuot the depth measure)
16x16 floor tom
12x10 rack tom
13x11 rack tom (not currently on set)
14x6.5 metal snare (not curently on set)
13x5 pearl wood snare (from a student percssion kit)

heads: evans
bass:eq1batter and eq1 resonant
toms:genera g1 coated over g1 clear
pearl snare: j1 etched batter over remo ambassador snare side
rogers snare:genera hd dry over stock reso

hardware: pearl eliminator double bass pedals
stands are a mxiture of whatever i could get.
stick holder: bass shell from some type of navy ship, can see used firing pin on bottom (had it lying around for some reason, decided to put it to use)
Throne: office chair with extra padding and new fabric added, wheels cut to avoid sliding (i'm meaning to get a new throne soon)

If you have any suggestions on set up or any other ones, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for making this forum such a great place. =]
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: cheap rogers kit, well loved

Pretty cool man but id get rid of them B8's you got. Whats with that razor blade like cymbal? How does it sound? Whats the cost?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna get rid of the b8's soon, but I dont have the money for it right now.

the sawblade/splash stack sounds pretty cool.
the saw blade by itself sounds like a bell, very clear, but not enough volume for me.
the splash is a little too gongy sounding for me, but other then that its got an average thin splash sound.

together, they have a pretty trashy sound with a very quick decay. It's got a bit of a splash to it too.

Sorry if thats not clear enough, i'm not sure how else to describe it
Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerJOE View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna get rid of the b8's soon, but I dont have the money for it right now.

the sawblade/splash stack sounds pretty cool.
the saw blade by itself sounds like a bell, very clear, but not enough volume for me.
the splash is a little too gongy sounding for me, but other then that its got an average thin splash sound.

together, they have a pretty trashy sound with a very quick decay. It's got a bit of a splash to it too.

Sorry if thats not clear enough, i'm not sure how else to describe it
The description was fine man. Btw you may wanna treat yourself to a new throne.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 AM

That's a cool starter kit. I't reminds me so much of my first kit. Mine was a pearl 5pc. (black) with paiste cymbals. What kind of double bass petal is that? I used the same heads aswell. Honestly, I thought the heads were perfect for jazz but when I would play rock, I wasn't as satisfied. I would change the tom heads and save some dough$ for some better cymabls like: Paiste 2002's, Zildjian K's or custom Z's! Good luck and keep rockin dude!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 AM

I mentioned it in my main post, it's a pearl eliminator.
i got it last christmas.

I definitly agree with you guys that i need to upgrade my cymbals, however it is out of my budget at the moment.

of the cymbals you reccomended there jimmyq, I think the only ones I'd like are the Ks. I've tried both the 2002s (thought that they were too bright and perhaps not full enough) and the Zs seem to only be good in high volume situations, while I play in both high and low volume situations.

I rather like the heads on there now, I have them tuned medium-low to try and stay in the tuning range of the drum.

Personally, I think the sound I get from them is fine, but i may try other ones next time i change them. I might try the coated G2s. Any specific ones you think that I should try jimmyq?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 AM

awesome kit bro
rogers are too cool
it just make me think of way back in the day...
i like the razor blade idea as well
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

How do you like the Eliminators? I want to get a set this year.

I like the saw blade. I've done that before. It does have a nice bell/effect tone, but it doesn't really project like you said.

I used the same B8 crash and ride for ten years so don't feel bad. I just recently upgraded. If you're looking for better cymbals that won't cost a couple house notes check into Saluda. I traded in my two B8s towards my first two Saluda crashes and couldn't be happier. I just sent off a Sabian Pro Dry Ride towards my next batch of Saludas and I can't wait till they come.

How is the AAX? One of these days I want to try the better Sabian cymbals. Maybe there is a shop that will take your B8s in trade towards more AAX.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:06 AM

I've never heard a saluda in person, but based on the reviews here they do seem to be a pretty good cymbal company. Perhaps I'll send them an email next time I'm looking to upgrade.
How do you like yours?

The eliminators are nice, especially after playing pulse pedals for so long.
I havent been able to spend as much time playing around with them as I'd like to have, but so far they seem very sturdy and incredibly smooth, especially with everything (cams, powershifter, etc) set for the lighter settings. Having all the different cams is nice, when i play softer, music I'll play heel down on one of the linear cams but when i play harder, faster music i can switch to a red or blue one.

The AAX is nice and dark. Pretty loud too. I just got it in the mail today, so I've yet to try it in a band situation but i can't wait to. I'd reccomend going to sabian's website and listening to the sound clips if you can't try one out in person.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Definitally like what I see. Your set-up looks nice and comfy and that throne is sweet.

Keep on rockin'
Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerJOE View Post
I've never heard a saluda in person, but based on the reviews here they do seem to be a pretty good cymbal company. Perhaps I'll send them an email next time I'm looking to upgrade.
How do you like yours?
I love mine. I'm in the process of getting a few more right now. :)