DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Not to be outdone... well, only slightly

Since Rob's in here whoring around his new Gretsch Maple Renown in Cherry Burst... Whoops, me too. I'm skipping town in a couple of days, and so it's bye-bye to the Yamaha Recording Custom and the Yamaha Rydeen and hello to this thing.

Specs:

Gretsch Maple Renown in Cherry Burst
10x8" tom
12x9" tom
14x11" tom
20x18" bass drum

Ayotte Keplinger Woodhoop 14x5.5 stainless-steel snare.

Cymbals pictured...

14" Istanbul Agop Signature hi-hats
16" Zildjian K Custom Dark Crash with 8" A Custom Splash sat on top.
21" Istanbul Agop Signature ride
17" Istanbul Agop Trash Hit (SE Jazz series)

Not pictured (coming soon)
DW9000 double pedal (it was a trade, hard to say no)
DW9000 hi-hat stand (along with the above)
DW5000 boom cymbal stand (DW stands seem to fit these Gretsch mounts so I can mount off the cymbal stand without a clamp)
An extra Tama Roadpro stand
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Not to be outdone... well, only slightly

very nice man. wow. you sure you want that snare cause ill take it.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
very nice man. wow. you sure you want that snare cause ill take it.
Well, if you want to pay me... say... $3k for it? Yeah, that sounds about right..

Oh yes, and while I'm being a prick with all my gear-y goodness.. Cymbals & snares!

Crashes & FX:
  1. 10" Istanbul Alchemy mini-china
  2. 15" Zildjian A Custom Crash
  3. 6" Zildjian A Custom Splash
  4. 16" Zildjian A China Boy Low
  5. Paiste Cup Chime #4
  6. 8" Zildjian A Custom Splash
  7. Paiste Cup Chime #1
  8. 17" Istanbul Agop Trash Hit
  9. 10" Zildjian K Splash
  10. 16" Zildjian K Dark Crash Medium-Thin
Hi-hats:
  1. 10" Paiste Signature Micro-Hats
  2. 13" Zildjian A New Beats (Well used and abused!)
  3. 14" Istanbul Agop Signature Hats

Rides:
  1. 20" Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride
  2. 20" Zildjian canadian-made A ride, assume it's a heavier/rock-oriented model. Will probably get this re-hammered when the money is available.
  3. 16" Zildjian turkish-made K.
  4. 21" Istanbul Agop Signature Ride
  5. 20" Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride

Snares:
  1. 13x5" Yamaha Steve Gadd Signature Maple (circa 2000)
  2. 13x4" Tama Steel, signed by Pat Torpey of Mr Big (!!?!)
  3. 14x5.5" Ayotte Keplinger I Woodhoop
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 AM

your cymbals just melted my face.

You win X10.

I thought my collection was ridiculous... nice work.

hot drums too... ftw.

PS - if you feel like selling those paiste 10" micro hats, please consider me first in line. They are EXACTLY what I'm looking for right now.
PPS - I love that you listed the 13" new beats as "used and abused" cuz that's exactly how i think of mine, and I absolutely love them... they've been abused for going on 35 years now and they just keep sounding better.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Oooohhhhh Weeee! Those Istanbuls are just beautiful! Dont think your getting off without posting soud clips of the Istanbuls! And congratulations on the new kit too. Nice finish. How is the Gadd snare ive heard not so good things about it, it needs some very good tuning i hear? The hoops on that Ayotte are amazing!

Last edited by Latin Groover; 02-20-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
Oooohhhhh Weeee! Those Istanbuls are just beautiful! Dont think your getting off without posting soud clips of the Istanbuls! And congratulations on the new kit too. Nice finish. How is the Gadd snare ive heard not so good things about it, it needs some very good tuning i hear?
I already posted sound clips of most of the Instanbuls, they just got eaten by the database ;) The Agop hi-hats are new since I've not been around here much - as are the 10" Paistes, actually. I got the Paistes for a pretty minimal amount of $$ from my flatmate, who's playing Very Large cymbals these days.

As for the Gadd snare, I like it. It was my only snare for a few years, then I got the Ayotte and then the Tama. It doesn't get used so much now as I'm in more of a big snare frame of mind, and when a gig requires a high/cutting snare sound I tend to take the 13x4 steel instead. But it's a great drum - I went through a lot of them before buying it. Wasn't sold on the metal or birch models, or the 14" drums. But the 13x5 Maple is excellent. I've not tried the newer, single Gadd snare with the wood hoops enough to be able to attest to how good (or not) it sounds...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

Woah, the Gretsch reowns are getting sold! i want one my self! Not a bad collection of stuff to hit either.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

WOW! A+A+A+ Joey

(And thanks for your old post on 4 way independence for double bass pedals ... I'm using it and on day four ... it is a good one!)
Old 02-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Thank you Finn - I have now lost my sight thanks to your pictures of your cymbals! I say nice gear for what I saw before the cymbal pics.

No regrets separating with the Yamaha's? This is not a very interesting question, but why is one of your Yamaha stands partially painted in black?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Traitor.......how dare you part ways with Yamaha.

Just kidding man, that kit looks beautiful and those cymbals are excellent! I love that Ayotte Snare.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:38 PM
fourstringdrums

Steal my thunder, eh? :)

What heads do you have on the toms now Finn? I just ordered coated G1's for mine.

Is the 14" an 11x14? I thought it was 12x14. I just want to make sure I'm not lying to people :)
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 PM

yo them Cymbals rock my world
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

How are the mini-china and the trash hit? I've been looking for a china/effects cymbal and it seems as if my only other choice at the moment is Wuhan, but I love turkish cymbals, and I figured they might match my Bosphorus setup better than a chinese cymbal.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Your drums are beautiful. Your cymbal vault is phenomenal.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
No regrets separating with the Yamaha's? This is not a very interesting question, but why is one of your Yamaha stands partially painted in black?
Because it's not a Yamaha stand - it's part of a Tycoon bongo stand. I should really put the Yamaha bottom back on there, I'd lost it when I was putting the stands together but found it in a cupboard the other day.

No regrets leaving the Yamaha fold for the minute. It's been a good eight years or so with Yamaha gear, and I still miss their tom mounts (Why do Gretsch make bass drum mounts that won't put a 10" tom low to the bass drum without doing silly stuff!?) but on the flip side a new Yamaha would have cost me something like NZ$5000 while the Gretsch was only $2200. They make fantastic drums, but in New Zealand their pricing leaves something to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00
How are the mini-china and the trash hit? I've been looking for a china/effects cymbal and it seems as if my only other choice at the moment is Wuhan, but I love turkish cymbals, and I figured they might match my Bosphorus setup better than a chinese cymbal.
Don't bother with the Alchemy stuff, it sucks. I bought that because it was cheap, and I use it stacked on top of the 10" K - when you're stacking, quality makes a lot less of a difference. But if you're actually looking for a nice, musical cymbal then stay the hell away from Alchemy. You'll notice CymbalsOnly stopped carrying Alchemy stuff because customers weren't too happy with them.

The Agop trash hit is awesome, though. Basically I consider Istanbul Agop and Alchemy to be entirely different - Agop are the As and Ks to Alchemy's ZBTs. Istanbul and Bosphorus both make a fair few different types of china and trash cymbals, might be worth checking out some of the sound samples on CymbalsOnly?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
X22

He'll be back. It's only a temporary visit to the dark side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Traitor.......how dare you part ways with Yamaha.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:32 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins View Post
No regrets leaving the Yamaha fold for the minute. It's been a good eight years or so with Yamaha gear, and I still miss their tom mounts (Why do Gretsch make bass drum mounts that won't put a 10" tom low to the bass drum without doing silly stuff!?) but on the flip side a new Yamaha would have cost me something like NZ$5000 while the Gretsch was only $2200. They make fantastic drums, but in New Zealand their pricing leaves something to be desired.
I agree 100%. Yamaha drums are great, but I love the tom holder more than the drums.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Pioneer Member

You just made my day! Great kit and and a VERY good cymbal section.. how do you like Paiste Cup Chimes? I am wondering about buying one..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM

[quote=finnhiggins;278458]Well, if you want to pay me... say... $3k for it? Yeah, that sounds about right..

You paid 3k for a snare?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 AM

Can you describe the way the Ayotte Keplinger snare sounds? I have two Ayotte snares-both are maple with wood hoops- but the Keplinger has been on my "must have" list for quite a while.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Why do Gretsch make bass drum mounts that won't put a 10" tom low to the bass drum without doing silly stuff!?
Thanks for answering my questions Finn. I do not want to bring down your enthusiasm but in regards to my personal experience with Gretsch, I think they make fabulous shells, but the hardware is a nightmare. I have played on the exact same kit and configuration as you have for a few months and especially the tom mounts were nothing but hell. At first, they wobble all over the place and if you often tear down/modify their placement, they wear out very quickly. I think it was a shame since the shells sound awesome. I had an Evans EMAD on the kick and boy was it an orgasmic sound!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
Thanks for answering my questions Finn. I do not want to bring down your enthusiasm but in regards to my personal experience with Gretsch, I think they make fabulous shells, but the hardware is a nightmare. I have played on the exact same kit and configuration as you have for a few months and especially the tom mounts were nothing but hell. At first, they wobble all over the place and if you often tear down/modify their placement, they wear out very quickly. I think it was a shame since the shells sound awesome. I had an Evans EMAD on the kick and boy was it an orgasmic sound!
The RIMS mount is more wobbly than other systems but my mount is rock solid. I do like the adjustability of the tom holder too but you're right, it can be a pain.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tree View Post
You paid 3k for a snare?
No, but I'd be willing to part with it for that ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway
Can you describe the way the Ayotte Keplinger snare sounds? I have two Ayotte snares-both are maple with wood hoops- but the Keplinger has been on my "must have" list for quite a while.
It's nice. Quite dry for a metal snare, has a lot of punch and a fat tone for a steel snare. Basically has a lot of the volume of a metal drum without being pingy and bright.

Quote:
I do not want to bring down your enthusiasm but in regards to my personal experience with Gretsch, I think they make fabulous shells, but the hardware is a nightmare. I have played on the exact same kit and configuration as you have for a few months and especially the tom mounts were nothing but hell. At first, they wobble all over the place and if you often tear down/modify their placement, they wear out very quickly.
Yeah, I noticed that too. No skin off my nose - I tend to play a 4pc, and I'm thinking I'll get the 14" drilled and have legs installed. The smaller drum is another matter, but if it proves annoying enough I'll just retro-fit another style of mount once the hardware gets problematic. Not particularly expensive for one drum.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that too. No skin off my nose - I tend to play a 4pc, and I'm thinking I'll get the 14" drilled and have legs installed. The smaller drum is another matter, but if it proves annoying enough I'll just retro-fit another style of mount once the hardware gets problematic. Not particularly expensive for one drum.
You could always just mount off a stand or do what I did with my Catalina and use a snare stand for the 10".
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 AM

aww man i love the gretch. My friend has one, and I often go to his house to play it. Nice finish.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Pioneer Member

beautiful, finn.... i love the renowns. Every time i go to guitar center, someone is playing one and it just sounds incredible. Without a doubt, one of the best sounding kits there -- at any price.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Steel snare w/ wood hoops? Is that sanctiones by the drum Gods? Never seen that before.
I bet it sounds great though. The Agop ride looks great and am the Renown Maples greatest fan. I love the sound, i love the finish. Probably my next kit.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Bump. More pics Finn.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Do you not own a camera anymore? And in your 1st post you said it's a K Custom crash, isn't just a K...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 PM
KARL MEMBER

nice, pretty nice. (haha, did I hide my envy well enough?) lol
No, seriously, that kit and especially the cymbals look amazing. I am curious about the Agop sig. hats and Ride...can you tell me more about it? First I thought about getting a Sig Hi-Hat but finally I went for a Turk Hi-Hat...

Oh, and now I remember that I have your solo you recorded. I love it!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I am curious about the Agop sig. hats and Ride
So am i about the hats, i'm saving for the ride, ill get there...
I listen to Finn's playing all the time to hear that ride, it's beautiful! That groove you launch into at 2:43 just blew out the first time i heard that Finn! Nice playing on the porno too Finn...What snare where you using there?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:59 PM

Beautiful kit with a very CLASSIC look!!

congrats
75sling