DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 AM

Default ghost note exercises

has anyone got any good exercises for developing ghost notes , in grooves.

i know in the pink patterens book (ostinatos) chaffe talks about accents but he does not give any exercises?

if you listen to phill collins on some brand X music , genisis as well his ghosting work is incredible.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: ghost note exercises

"Contemporary Drumset Techniques" by Rick Latham has several ghost note exercises, actually that book has lots of everykind of exercises.

Also check out Bernard Purdie in the drummer section, he is the master of the ghost note, start to work on his shuffle.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:30 PM
DrummerMom

Ghost Note Triplets
L = Left Hand
R = Right Hand

ACCENT ON THE BOLD STROKES.
Triplets, start at BPM 60

a.

RLLRLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRLRRL
RLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRL
RLLRLLRRLRRL
RLLRRL
RLLRLLRRLRRL
RLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRL
RLLRLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRLRRL

b.
Make good sounding combinations:
1. Combine and repeat one bar rhythms.
example: RLLRLLRRLRLL

2. Combine and repeat two bar rhythms.
example:RLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRLRLLRLL

Purdie shuffle 1
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jeffporcaroshuffle.html
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
DrummerMom

Rosanna

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/j...roshuffle.html
Old 02-18-2007, 08:38 PM

That's great
Thanks Drummermom
Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan is offline
Pioneer Member

Your ghost notes will not be really effective until you truly master the free stroke. So if you have not worked on that, that is where you should start, in my opinion. You start with the full stroke, and then learn the other three (tap, up, and down). Down strokes are what ghost notes are really about. Dom Famularo calls these control strokes, and the trick is to be able to play an accent followed by a tap. Once you can do this in a relaxed manner, your ghost notes will sound great.

Dom's book is really about this question, so I recommend that. Seeing a line of notes some of which are accents won't teach you the proper technique. Hope this helps, DPS
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

I have done a lot of excersies, grooves that focus on on ghosting. They revolve around playing ostinatoes while reading text with the bass drum. Alot of this also focuses on getting the kick drum to line up with ghosts. And sorting out the subdivisions and getting everything lining up and grooving nice. Thats what pocket playing is all about. It's one thing having a good meter, but if your subdivisions are out you will never be in the pocket and have found this a comman problem a lot of people overlook to easily. I have heard some really good drummers who are allmost there, but the subdivisions are where their groove is falling short. It is somethng that does'nt really show up until you start playing more complicated ghosting patterns with a kick drum on the e's and ah's. Spending a lot time on this is the answer to having good pocket i think.

I am in the process of putting a book together whith a big chapter on this because these exercises have really advanced my groove control so i want to share it with others. My point of veiw is that practising grooves/variations which work on this is a great way of developing this, and this is how developed it. But it does'nt mean nothing if your kick drum does'nt line up with your hands.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 PM

thanks for all the responses.

a few ponts:

Doc power stroke - i have the proper technique and i can play ghost notes - enabling grooves to groove. will doms book give exercise to increase ones ghosting vocabulary or will it teach you the method to be able to play ghost notes?

i am looking for exerciases to aid me in placing ghost notes in different positions in the groove.

uit is an interesting point about the subdivisions. will take this into consideration. when i play an ostinato and read a bass drum pattern and play 2 and 4 on the snare (for example) i dont know where or how many ghost notes to put in . i am looking for exercises to aid me in this rather than me just haveing to gues where to put them
Old 02-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Dom's book is great for the technique of playing ghost notes (and other strokes). Dom helped me a lot, without even teaching ghost notes per se. Anyway, if you're looking for ideas as to how to structure grooves with ghost notes, check out Garibaldi's Funky Beat, or watch Steve Jordan's The Groove is Here.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan is offline
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hayward_99 View Post
thanks for all the responses.

a few ponts:

Doc power stroke - i have the proper technique and i can play ghost notes - enabling grooves to groove. will doms book give exercise to increase ones ghosting vocabulary or will it teach you the method to be able to play ghost notes?

i am looking for exerciases to aid me in placing ghost notes in different positions in the groove.

uit is an interesting point about the subdivisions. will take this into consideration. when i play an ostinato and read a bass drum pattern and play 2 and 4 on the snare (for example) i dont know where or how many ghost notes to put in . i am looking for exercises to aid me in this rather than me just haveing to gues where to put them
Dom's book is a technique book. Since a ghost note is just a soft stroke, all you need to do is put soft notes into your grooves. The only rule is to put them where they sound good. There are no dos or don'ts. Let your imagination rule! I imagine you could easily write 20 exercises that help you do this. If you can play ghost notes, you're there, just use them! DPS
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Also listen to Jeff Porcaro recordings, the most he known for is the "Rosanna" shuffle but there are numerous other grooves he uses ghost notes.
Just one other example is the song "Civilized man" by Joe Cocker very nicely played simple groove with ghost notes, that really make the song groove.
Of course there are a lot of other drummers to listen to I just mention Jeff Porcaro because his recordings made me play and understand the ghost notes better.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM

i have been looking into geting funky beat by d.garibaldi.

thank fior the advice.

thinking about it a good idea would be to play a simple rock beat = 8ths on high hat 1 and 3 bass. then take a reading book ie louie belson modern reading text in 4/4 and play every note 16th note on snare ghosted but play the written notes as acents
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 AM

If you want a fantastic book that develops the 2 sound level concept get hold of the David Garibaldi book,"Future Sounds"

It's awesome and has really taken my playing to another level.I've had this book for a number of years now and I can honestly say it's a great all round book with regards to developing the 2 sound level concept,making a groove groove,independance and incorporates rudiments within grooves.

I cannot sing it's praises enough.

Regards

Styx
Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
David Garibaldi book,"Future Sounds"
The definitive ghost note study, IMHO.

It'll get you thinking about the mechanics of groove like few other methods, and it's considered to be one of the best instructional books of all time. Garibaldi is a true pioneer.

Required practicing ;-)
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

If you want real groove, the hihat is also very important. What happened to me is that i played hihat without dynamics when i started to explore ghost grooves. I was totally concentrated on ghosts. But when i learnt few grooves i realised, that it has no groove at all. what happened was beat feeled up whit some extra notes. Than i started to accent first and third hihat eight , what i usually do in non-gost rock grooves, and there it was.Bad ass groove!! You can also accent what ever note you want to get even cooler groove.

Try this!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:25 PM

Hey everyone,

This is my first official post WOOHOOO!!! Well, I think I have the best book right now that deals with ghost notes and as many variations that you need to help develop your ghost notes. The book is (well I should say curriculm) Hands, Grooves, and Fills by Pat Petrillo. I am very happy with this book. This book not only has ghost note grooves (that are tricky, but cool sounding), but it also has grooves that you are able to use in the studio, live, etc. Pat explains all the techniques in the included DVD and he is very detailed when explaining the technique. However, he doesn't kill you with technique and to be honest the ghost note technique is not a hard "concept," but it will definetly challenge you because your hands are not use to the movements. However, once you get the technique and the flow of things, the grooves with just start play themselves.
I really highly recommend the book and check it out. Pat's ideas are awesome and by the way his new Rudimental Tab system is amazing. Those who have the book know what I'm talking about. Take care and God Bless.

Carlito

www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Oh one more important thing I forgot!! Pat's book has live playback recordings which are a major plus and they are not corny!! Take care and God Bless.

Carlito
Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 AM

My instructor Pat Petrillo has a book and DVD that you should check out that will help you to learn to ghost strokes. I really did not understand the importance of ghost strokes until Pat explained it to me and showed me how it is done. If you watch his DVD it will show you how to develop fluid and smooth ghost strokes so check it out. Hands, Grooves and Fills.
John Cornett
Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

David Garibaldi's Future Sounds is all about the two sound level concept, it'll make you a ghost-notin' fool I tell ya. Best twelve bucks I've spent in a while.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerMom View Post
Ghost Note Triplets
L = Left Hand
R = Right Hand

ACCENT ON THE BOLD STROKES.
Triplets, start at BPM 60

a.

RLLRLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRLRRL
RLLRLLRLLRRLRRLRRL