DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-17-2007, 01:50 AM

Default My Kit "S.S. Drumship"

Hello.. My name is Glen and I've been playing 30 years. I have a few kits including a '53 Gretsch kit and a few others including my main Yamaha kit pictured below. My buddies named the kit the S.S. Drumship because it has so many things to hit, plus it looks like a cockpit when sitting in the drivers seat.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Kit "S.S. Drumship"

Wow, that is a big ole' kit you got yourself there. Looks like a cockpit for sure! That is a crazy cymbal rack you have!!!!! Nice colors and finish too, where did you get this giant?

Peace
AGR
Old 02-17-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
where did you get this giant?
I purchased most of the kit years ago at Just Drums in Toronto Canada.
It's big but actually real easy to set up thanks to good ole memory locks.
Drums are Yamaha Power Recording Customs and the stainless steel
rack is Tama. Cymbals vary between Zildjian and Sabian. Snare is one
I built. :-)
Old 02-17-2007, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

"Oh my FREAKING GORD!"

Farley pretty much explains it, that is an absolutely AMAZING kit. 30 years huh, you must make that kit sound good, real good.

How much do you think all that is worth?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Wow definitally huge!
I would never run out of options.

And with all those beautiful drums, cant you get a wireless mic? I would think that thing would get annoying.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
"Oh my FREAKING GORD!"

Farley pretty much explains it, that is an absolutely AMAZING kit. 30 years huh, you must make that kit sound good, real good.
How much do you think all that is worth?
I'm not sure about making the kit sound good but I like making noise :-)
The kit cost easily over 10 grand, give or take a few pennies |o|
What's not shown in the picture are a cowbell footpedal setup and
piccolo footpedal setup.

glen
Old 02-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Guinness

That thing is a beast! I love the kit and especially the bass reso heads. Marilyn Monroe....she was something. I have an entire wall in my office covered with that woman. They just don't make em' like they used to.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
Wow definitally huge!
I would never run out of options.

And with all those beautiful drums, cant you get a wireless mic? I would think that thing would get annoying.
The only thing annoying is if I'm playing a small venue and stage room is an issue but really, the kit only takes up a 6 foot by 6 foot square which is the same or less than most kits with stands.. For smaller venues, I'll break the kit down and use cymbal stands OR use my '53 Gretsch kit. As for the wireless mic thing.. >>my wife put a cap on my spending haha, so wireless is out of the question for now ;-)
Old 02-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Gold Member

Amazing kit you've got there! The name is very fitting of it. Props for the homemade snare too! Got any pics of your '53 Gretsch?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
Got any pics of your '53 Gretsch?
Here's one pic of my Gretsch. It's the old round badge Gretsch except for the 14 inch
floor which is an add on drum in this picture from another newer Gretsch kit I have. The original kit consists of 13, 16, 22 and snare.

Last edited by glen thomas; 02-17-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:02 AM

53 grestch. Man I'm getting WOOD!!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Both kits are really sweet. Great example of the big kit/small kit idea. Gotta say I love the Gretsch a little more. It's a Charlie thing. Welcome to Drummerworld.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

I'm scared... That kit could eat everyone here.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

I just noticed those ressonance heads, WOW. That is really awesome on those bass drums! Are those custom made for you?

Peace
AGR
Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

That kit looks like so much fun from the driver's seat. The only downside (even when I had my monster kit set up) is that from the audience point of view, you are lost behind a cage. I would love to play on that though. hahah!
Old 02-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
I just noticed those ressonance heads, WOW. That is really awesome on those bass drums! Are those custom made for you? Peace
AGR
The bass drums were airbrushed by little ole me. ;-) I'm a graphic designer and at one time I was playing in a swing band and I thought the Monroe pictures would kinda compliment the music.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
The only downside (even when I had my monster kit set up) is that from the audience point of view, you are lost behind a cage. !
This is true in some cases but normally I don't use a riser which helps in 2 ways. It let's the audience see me but it also keeps the kits volume closer to the floor so my band isn't getting drowned out. I also use (not pictured) a curved security mirrior in behind the kit which fastens to the back bar of the rack system. It's fish eye shaped. What that does is give the audience a back and top view of me playing. I just happened to come across one of these mirrors when they were tearing down an old department store in my home town. It was in the trash and didn't have a mark on it. I'm not sure why more drummers don't use these mirrors.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:04 PM

That's a big kit alright. What kind of music do you play?

But I'm actually more interested in the '53 Gretsch. I mean, there just can't be many of those kits around anymore, and that one appears to be in good condition too. You're sure lucky to have it.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
That's a big kit alright. What kind of music do you play?

But I'm actually more interested in the '53 Gretsch. I mean, there just can't be many of those kits around anymore, and that one appears to be in good condition too. You're sure lucky to have it.
Hi Disco Stu. I play rock (prog to folk), jazz and country. I recorded a few albums and toured with a folk rock band called "Rainhorses" which utilized a lot of various sounds that my big kit seemed to create but it always depended on the venue and the stage room.Music wise, I play anything that keeps me busy. I've even done the odd stage show in my local area like Grease and Tommy.
With the big kit I play progressive rock and some jazz but in situations where I'm playing country or smaller clubs, I'll break the kit down and use cymbal stands. I use the Gretsch for only the odd single night gig in jazz mainly or studio recording. I will also only use it in smoke free venues.
I'm a gear nut and have tons of options. :-) My wife calls me a spoiled brat.|o|

The Gretsch kit is my baby and I found it at a Salvation Army place and snagged it for 200 dollars. The kit came with original calf skin heads which are hanging on a wall in my studio along with one original cymbal stand and bass drum pedal. I replaced the calf skins with Remo Fibreskins. The snare is ultra rare mainly because of the rims it has. It has the usual straight rims as opposed to the flanged ones of today but the rims aren't steel, they are a softer metal. The bass drum spurs are made of the same metal. I discovered this when I took the drum apart to clean it. I also came across a second 1953 Gretsch bass drum that needs to be restored that I will add to the main kit to give it a Louie Bellson double bass look to it. The kit came with the original tom holder but I built my own rim system for the 13 tom and just mounted it on a DW stand that I bought dirt cheap at a music store that was going out of business. (if I can build something instead of buying it, I will)

OH!!! and if this wasn't enough of a deal for 200 bucks, I also bought a mint 1958 Slingerland snare with multiple colors of sparkle along with and Earth Ride for an extra
100 bucks at this same Salvation Army.. I LOVE this snare and I use it a lot. Deals like this come along once in a life time but it was a dream come true for me.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen thomas View Post
I also use (not pictured) a curved security mirrior in behind the kit which fastens to the back bar of the rack system. It's fish eye shaped. What that does is give the audience a back and top view of me playing.
That's a really cool idea!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
That's a really cool idea!
There are different types of security mirriors
but this is the style I have. New I think they're
about 100 bucks. Mine is 36 inches in diameter. Sorry I don't have a
still photo of my kit with my mirror mounted. In the drumset pictures
I posted, I'm at a bar that has a clear window behind which is a patio deck
so I let people out there view my kit from behind when playing so I don't
use the mirror there.

This particular mirror has just enough curve to make it interesting
for the audience to watch. There are bubble types but the curve
is way too drastic.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That kit looks like so much fun from the driver's seat. The only downside (even when I had my monster kit set up) is that from the audience point of view, you are lost behind a cage. I would love to play on that though. hahah!
I was thinking the same thing. That kit looks like it would be a kick in the pants to play, but the audience wouldn't be able to see you much.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Disco Stu. I play rock (prog to folk), jazz and country. I recorded a few albums and toured with a folk rock band called "Rainhorses" which utilized a lot of various sounds that my big kit seemed to create but it always depended on the venue and the stage room.Music wise, I play anything that keeps me busy. I've even done the odd stage show in my local area like Grease and Tommy.
With the big kit I play progressive rock and some jazz but in situations where I'm playing country or smaller clubs, I'll break the kit down and use cymbal stands. I use the Gretsch for only the odd single night gig in jazz mainly or studio recording. I will also only use it in smoke free venues.
I'm a gear nut and have tons of options. :-) My wife calls me a spoiled brat.|o|
Well, you may be a "gear nut", but it looks like you put all of it to good use. Drumming for Grease and Tommy must have been a hoot. "Born to Hand Jive" alone would be a blast to play.

Quote:
The Gretsch kit is my baby and I found it at a Salvation Army place and snagged it for 200 dollars. The kit came with original calf skin heads which are hanging on a wall in my studio along with one original cymbal stand and bass drum pedal. I replaced the calf skins with Remo Fibreskins. The snare is ultra rare mainly because of the rims it has. It has the usual straight rims as opposed to the flanged ones of today but the rims aren't steel, they are a softer metal. The bass drum spurs are made of the same metal. I discovered this when I took the drum apart to clean it. I also came across a second 1953 Gretsch bass drum that needs to be restored that I will add to the main kit to give it a Louie Bellson double bass look to it. The kit came with the original tom holder but I built my own rim system for the 13 tom and just mounted it on a DW stand that I bought dirt cheap at a music store that was going out of business. (if I can build something instead of buying it, I will)

OH!!! and if this wasn't enough of a deal for 200 bucks, I also bought a mint 1958 Slingerland snare with multiple colors of sparkle along with and Earth Ride for an extra
100 bucks at this same Salvation Army.. I LOVE this snare and I use it a lot. Deals like this come along once in a life time but it was a dream come true for me.
Oh, stories like this always kill me, but only because I'm insanely jealous. Whenever I go to thrift stores, garage sales, and such, I never even see drum gear, let alone a classic Gretsch kit from the 50s. Nevertheless, I am happy that you found that kit. It really must be awesome.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
The bass drums were airbrushed by little ole me. ;-) I'm a graphic designer and at one time I was playing in a swing band and I thought the Monroe pictures would kinda compliment the music.
Something about that kit seems different than most kits used for a swing band, but it can't be anything BIG ;) I would love to have a kit like that for my jazz band!!!

And good attitude- why buy it when you can build it?!?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
Something about that kit seems different than most kits used for a swing band, but it can't be anything BIG ;) I would love to have a kit like that for my jazz band!!!

And good attitude- why buy it when you can build it?!?
Haha.. yeah it's not your normal Swing kit. I use to break the kit down quite a bit for half those swing shows just because of the room on stage. I have a video or 2 on my MySpace site using the kit minus the rack system, one kick and the 12 " tom.

Here's the link.
http://www.myspace.com/the_freq

sound and picture aren't very good but you'll get a rough idea.
The band was called "The Crank Shop" but this vid is less the few horns we used to
play with. I do believe it's the 2nd video on the right hand side.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 AM

woooooowwwwwww! that's HUGE!!!!! haha......lovin that gretsch too!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:45 PM

That is probrably a ton of fun to move...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, thats a big boy!!!! Looks like it would be a blast to play but a pain to move =) but hey, we knew what we were getting into when we started w/ drums.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
Wow, thats a big boy!!!! Looks like it would be a blast to play but a pain to move =) but hey, we knew what we were getting into when we started w/ drums.
Actually the kit is quite easy to move and set up. The cage has 4 cross bars (2 in front, 1 above and 1 in the top back). When those are removed, you have a wall on the left and one on the right. All cymbal arms and extras stay attached. Those 2 walls are carried out and placed on a hanging rack in my 16 foot Ford Cube Van. The 4 cross bars also hang on hooks in the Van. Quite simple really and way faster than cymbal stands. All cymbal and tom booms stay on the rack in their regular playing position. The toms keep the tom holder pegs in them while they're in their custom cases so with memory locks, go in position in a few seconds. Mic stands are also connected to the cage. The entire kit sets up in 30 minutes with cymbals and all with mics in position. The bass drums and cymbals fit in one rolling flight case and toms and floor toms fit in another with a seperate case for 5 snares and a tool kit which also holds my pedals, hi hat and cable hi-that goodies.. :-)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Pioneer Member

That is a massive setup man. I like your bass drum head. Where did you get it?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
That is a massive setup man. I like your bass drum head. Where did you get it?
I airbrushed the bass drum heads myself a few years ago. Thanks for asking. :-)Even though my main job is a drummer, I have my own business in graphic design. I have a Premier kit with Elvira on the front bass skin too. Here's a pic..

Last edited by glen thomas; 02-22-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
fusssion

Glen, nice stuff all around!!

Specs on the SS Drumship please? is that 10-12-13-16-18 ? SPECS! :)
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Glen, nice stuff all around!!

Specs on the SS Drumship please? is that 10-12-13-16-18 ? SPECS! :)
I'll go into a bit of detail because I've gotten a few PM's asking about the kit.
So here we go.. :-)

8x8, 10x10, 12x10 rack toms, 14x12 hanging floor on left, 16x16, 18x16 floors(legs) on the right.
Kick drums 22x18 (left one tuned higher)

Snare in picture is a 14 x 6 drum I built that is 12 ply maple.

Cymbals..
(drummers left to right)
-16 sabian Swish with a riveted 14 china piggybacked in it
- 8 Zildjian splash
-10 zildjian splash
-8 Sabian china piggy backed on a 14 Zildjian crash
-13 Sabian Fusion hats
-16 Zildjian light crash
- 12 Sabian Splash (center)
- 8 Sabian splash hihats (right of snare)
- 18 Zildjian heavy crash
- 20 Sabian Swish piggy backed with a 10 Zildjian Splash
- 10 Sabian splash (above swish)
- 20 Zildjian Custom Z ride (hammered)
- Hi hat tower (on right) 10 sabian hats, 14 Zildjian hats
- 18 Zildjian medium crash piggy backed with a 16 Sabian China
- 18 Zildjian crash ( below right)

-On left.. Remo Spoke hi-hats with DW cable pedal
-Remo spoke and firebell on hi-hat tower on the right
-Camco pedals
-Also Roland Pad 11 drum controller
with 3 custom pads I made plus one "pole" trigger I also made.
-2 of the pads are under the book on the left just above the 14 floor,
and the other is at the bottom right on the edge of the 18 floor.
-The pole trigger is located just above the fire bell on the right. It's hard to see but I normally program the sounds for a Gong or Vibra slap OR trigger a keyboard (Peavey DPM-4 or Computer) and trigger it with that "pole".

-Bottom left is also a Mini disc machine with a head phone amplifier.
Keyboard tracks and sound effects on the Right Channel and click track is on
the left channel.
-Bottom left - solid brass cowbell (hard to see)
- Cowbell on the right side of snare under 8 spash hats.

Bass skins Aquarian
snare Aquarian
toms.. Remo Emperor, bottoms Remo Amb.

My fingers hurt from typing.. :-)