DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-11-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Do We Ever Keep Anything?

I give my wife a hard time about always buying new shoes, always wanting new furniture and never being happy with her car. I expect her to get a new item and be happy with it for years.

I just realized that I am likely the biggest hypocrite on Earth.

Every time I read MD or look through the My Kit section of Drummerworld, I see some gadget, kit, or drum that I just have to run out and buy.

I think that we drummers are among the worst sufferers of, or addicts of "G.A.S." on the planet.

Is there any kit, drum or item that you have played for years that you never plan to replace? Is there any kit or configuration that you don't anticipate changing, or are you, like many of us, likely going to swap something out as soon as the local music store opens?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Do We Ever Keep Anything?

Me. I haven't changed a thing really except. I bought an ludwig acrolite as an option on snare other than my wood ludwig snare but other than that i dont anticipating changing m kit. Do shakers count?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM

my 8" deep recording custom snare will be my main snare till i die. no questions. i can make it ring, dry it out, tune it up, down, play on the snare side, the thing is SET! i'll never need another snare cuz this baby does it all. i'm only using a stage custom though, but as soon as i buy a recording custom KIT, never changing that either. take a look at my snare in my sig...has anyone ever seen that finish on an RC?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
KARL MEMBER

I made the experience that I never have anything I never wanna replace.
Choices change. A year ago I was so happy with my AAX cymbals but then I just wanted to have something earthy, sizzling, something dark, with an own character.

Same goes with my HHX Evolution hats. They are pleasing, no doubt and I am (was) very very happy with them but now I`ll try to sell them and buy some Agop Turks (or eventually Traditionals). So I also replace the hats now which I actually loved so much a year ago.

And I won`t say that I never replace my K Custom or Mel Lewis Ride, I`m sure that they will please me over YEARS but maybe, maybe one day I`ll replace also these babies (but at the moment I can`t imagine this, they are like my children...haha...)

So, I`ll never say that I never replace something...could be. Even if I can`t imagine.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 PM

I am not a pack rat. I sure there are drum pack rats in this forum. Personally if I up grade and then sell off the the pc I replaced, there's nothing wrong with that. But holding on to pc of gear that likely wont be a collectable, just turns into clutter and should be sold asap.

Upgrading to me is replacing a pc of gear you are not happy with for a pc you should be.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

As you grow, your taste grow. And with grow comes change. So, (and ill try to get this into my parent's head) i will always want new stuff until i own the entire inventory of Guitar Center.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Dont dont ever plan on selling my Zidljian A 16" Thin crash.

I know that its not the nicest sounding cymbal (actually i dont like the A thin crash sound what so ever), but i got mega mega lucky. I recently tried one out at the Guitar center and realized, "hey this cymbal isnt that great, what the hell?"

My cymbal seems to be one of a kind in my opinoin. It is a completley different sound. Not only is it different, but it has a better sound. And in my opinion, the best cymbal sound ive ever heard in my life.

My friend asked me how much for the cymbal (he really liked it and wanted to buy it), and i told him no less than 1500$. I was completley serious. I would not sell that cymbal unless i got 1500$ in return. It is the perfect cymbal in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Hm. Yes and no.

I'm getting rid of my old 90's Titan kit because I'm upgrading to a Catalina Ash in a few months, but I'm keeping my Tama Stagestar forever. It's by far the best gig kit I've ever played on, and I can't see myself parting with it. Plus, I'm well aware that an 14x18 bass drum is coveted amongst jazzers.. and anywhere else I'd have to pay a premium for that size bass.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Dont dont ever plan on selling my Zidljian A 16" Thin crash.

I know that its not the nicest sounding cymbal (actually i dont like the A thin crash sound what so ever), but i got mega mega lucky. I recently tried one out at the Guitar center and realized, "hey this cymbal isnt that great, what the hell?"

My cymbal seems to be one of a kind in my opinoin. It is a completley different sound. Not only is it different, but it has a better sound. And in my opinion, the best cymbal sound ive ever heard in my life.

My friend asked me how much for the cymbal (he really liked it and wanted to buy it), and i told him no less than 1500$. I was completley serious. I would not sell that cymbal unless i got 1500$ in return. It is the perfect cymbal in my opinion.
Wow, 1500$ for a Zildjian A, it must be really awesome to hear.

As to the question...I dont anticipate on changing my set, although it would be nice to have some mini-timps or octabons. Maybe even a new pedal (AXIS!!!)...

Peace
AGR
Old 02-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

i agree with the whole concept all the way! i don't have a wife (16) but my friends even joke about me telling them about what drums and cymbals im getting and selling because it never really ends for me.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Wow, 1500$ for a Zildjian A, it must be really awesome to hear.

As to the question...I dont anticipate on changing my set, although it would be nice to have some mini-timps or octabons. Maybe even a new pedal (AXIS!!!)...

Peace
AGR
yeah man, thats how precious it really is to me. If i got a good mic i could possibly get a sound clip, but i dont have one.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
yeah man, thats how precious it really is to me. If i got a good mic i could possibly get a sound clip, but i dont have one.
Yeah that would be cool. I gotta hear this!

Peace
AGR
Old 02-12-2007, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

In the past 5 years i've been through a tama starclassic (performer) a roland td-12, and about a dozen cymbals. Guitar Center is considering erecting a wing in my name.
I will keep my Pork Pies till i'm dead. Probably my 21" Paiste Full Ride, too.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
i agree with the whole concept all the way! i don't have a wife (16) but my friends even joke about me telling them about what drums and cymbals im getting and selling because it never really ends for me.
I know how you feel!
My house mates give me hell whenever I come home with a new cymbal.. but now I try to only buy a new one every two or three months. I remember when I brought home my 14" Bos hats and they were like "there are poor people dying of hunger while you're buying new cymbals!".. joking aside, they only set me back $175.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm my wife loves shoes too...

My Slingerlands are going to be buried with me right next to my Ibanez Les Paul rip off. I am the worst pack rat ever. However, I am finally going to unload some unused and beat up drum gear to make the wife happy and afford me some new goodies. :)
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 AM

I have sold off most of my drum gear and have stripped down to a simple 4-piece. I intend to keep this setup unless I get into some musical/band situation that requires more or different gear, but I would rather use what I have. I often surf the listings on eBay to see what's out there, and sometimes I get tempted....but I keep myself disciplined, remind myself I have a great kit with everything I need, and focus more on improving my playing rather than my gear.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
fourstringdrums

This thread is good timing for me. I just bought a Gretsch Renonwn kit off Ebay and I'm going to call Tony at Cymbalsonly.com today and order a set of Bosphorus. I don't keep anything either. I figure if I really am not going to use it, it gets sold. In the last 4 years or so I've had 4 sets (so the new Gretsch will be my 5th) and 3 sets of cymbals (the Bosphorus will be my 4th). In the past year and a half alone I bought a PDP CX, Gretsch Catalina, a set of Sabian HHX, and now I will have the Renowns and the Bosphorus coming in. I've also had one Saluda cymbal which is going back, and a Yamaha Musashi Oak Custom Snare which was traded for a custom Saluda Birch 4x13 which I should have in a few weeks. I've also bought a few different hi-hat stands and bass drum pedals over the last 3 years or so.

I don't play out or even jam with anyone, that's the funny thing. I'm a complete hobbyist (until I can find people to jam with and have a schedule that allows me to fit that in). I think I like the search of finding the perfect gear for my tastes as much as playing. My tastes don't really change much, it just takes me a hell of a long time until I find that perfect fit. I also play bass a bit, and over the last 5 or 6 years I've owned 3 different amps and 21 basses or so. The setup I have now is the one that suits me best and I know that.

I know that I should concentrate more on playing and less on gear, but I've always felt that if you're not comfortable, you can't play to your fullest. It may not apply for everyone, but it does for me.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Pioneer Member

I think i will never replace my Paiste 20" full ride.. I love it! I had if for 6years now, My uncle had it back in the days when he was a drummer.. I simply love it, it is the perfect ride for me.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:48 PM

I am completely happy with my Pro M and HH/HHX , and K cymbals. I don't anticipate changing anything for a long time. If I decide to change , I would swap out the old kit as I would likely get a Saturn Pro. I don't keep anything I don't use. I never have.

Peace.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 AM

There is no hope for me. I'm getting ready to sell some Sonor and Ludwig snares that I swore would never leave my collection, but I realized that I haden't touched these things for over a year, and I won't get rich hoarding them waiting for them to become priceless, since they never will, so I'm getting rid of what I don't play.

Great gear deserves to be played.

Of course, I'll just buy more stuff to replace it..... :)
Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Pioneer Member

I will never replace my Zildjian K Hi Hats...the perfect Hi Hats fer me.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

I don't think I will sell my Tama Rockstar, just because I am still in debt because I bought it and I have to save money because I want to get married. So, no shoes this time, but a wedding-dress is in the way of upgrading :p. I don't care though, I am absolutely happy with the gear I got, since I only play the drums sincs september 2006.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:51 AM

Im pretty happy with my kit and pies. But I would like to add a bit to it... Now where this issue hits me is with my studio gear, mics... I keep changing that stuff out all the time. And I buy new sell old. The sell old can be a trap for me too.. Cause sometimes I trade that out for other old stuff...

2 other places of danger for me... Hardware stores.. and Model train shops...

Warning Will Robinson,,, Danger Danger. Sears (craftsman) store on the left!

hehe
Mike
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I have that same crash. I will put up a clip of it later, and tell me how it compares to yours.

EDIT: Here is a sound recorder clip, not the best quality, but it does justice.
Attached Files
File Type: wav zildjian 16.wav (536.3 KB, 231 views)
Old 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM

I will probably keep my Flying Dragons. Unless someone betters them!
Pro Mark
Aquarian
Old 02-17-2007, 01:05 AM

I have swapped out damn near everything on my kit (including my original kit), except for my 16" Wuhan China...I don't think I will ever get rid of that one....
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 PM

I know Il keep every cymbal I buy. I almost hit 20... I wont use them all the time but its nice to have a library of choices

I think id keep my IC's. No pedal is better then those (for me)

I will replace my kit within the next few years though... I fell in love with the SC bubinga's
Old 02-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

I am a simple man with simple tastes. : ^ P
Old 02-18-2007, 03:31 AM

I don't think i'll ever let go of my k custom med-thin dry complex ride????? I can't imagine doing that.....I love it....haha....

as life goes on you change as a person and you change as a drummer choosing your cymbals.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salicete
Is there any kit, drum or item that you have played for years that you never plan to replace?
yes. my collector's and the traditionals.
never.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

i will never ever lose my first drumsticks. some pro mark 5a', so far about 4 years old. and i dont think ill be replacing my 12 x 7 bp for a while.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

I think cymbals are something you always keep. they won't give you squat in exchange for them so why bother. I 've been playin' my 22" ping ride for 20 yrs
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaDrummerAus View Post
I will probably keep my Flying Dragons. Unless someone betters them!
i got my FP9310 Flying Dragon about 6 months ago. after taking a while to get used to it it's the best pedal i ever played.

after selling a lot of stuff over the years, many pieces that i NOW regret selling, i will never sell any of my stuff again because somewhere somehow i'll be PO'd again that i did.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 AM

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Eliminators.

Same goes for my 20" HHX Chinese... I'm sure I'll break it some time or get a new one because it's heavier on one side, but I think I'll use this cymbal for a long time.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 AM

I dont think i will ever get rid of my custom ordered yamaha maple custom kit, but I definately have went through some kits to get to this point. I have went through weird cymbal phases as well, trying to discover what suited me.......I am kinda like the guy earlier where I found this beautiful sounding 17" avedis medium thin crash. I then ditched all my a custom cymbals and replaced with more k and avedis to suit. But I am definately a ride and snare whore. I dont think a drummer could ever have enough ride cymbals or snares. Its what makes the kit personal to me.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

When I get a steady job I think Im going to collect Crash cymbals.

not just a collection like a vintage collector, but a collection I can play.

Also, I will never, ever sell my Mapex M birch, even If I buy new kits.

It means something deep and special to me.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM

i dodnt really buy that much gear mostly because i cant afford it but im just happy with what i have eventually i will change but i will never ever get rid of my chad smith snare its one of my fave snares
Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM

I've got this old ludwig snare that my parents bought for me when I started in the school band. This thing sounds amazing. I've had it for like.... 12 years. Currently it's set up as my second snare for my kit.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Pioneer Member

I never have any money so I keep as much stuff as I can.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

...when I am buying stuff, I never think about selling.

However, every now and a gain this little window of sanity opens a crack, and I realize that I have way more stuff than I can justify, no matter how hard I try. When that happens, I make a half hearted attempt at selling of the sacrificial kit, which has been my black oyster dubs for the past few Edmonton internet "Buy and Sell" issues. Problem is, when I list something, I check the posting from time to time, and find these little temptations such as a couple of Canwood kits and a Ludwig black oyster Fab Four reissue. That is usually all it takes to talk me off the ledge, and so it is back to the comfort of my chrome forest, where I bask like Midas under a canopy of Sabian bronze.

If sanity were ever to overtake me, I would likely sell off everything with the exception of my white marine pearl dubs, and my favorite cymbals, which include a 20" Manhattan ride, 14" dark hats, 16" thin crash, and 17" HHXtreme crash. I would have to make a clean break, for even as I sit here typing, I am thinking that I should also keep my 18" el sabor, but if I do, then I have to also keep my 20" el sabor ride, which would not be complete without the el sabor hats, and the 18" HHXtreme crash. I have a 9000 pedal that I like, but I actually like the 5000 better, which means that I would have to keep my 5000 hihat stand as well as the 9000 hihat stand.......and on and on.

Awww to heck with it. Have to run. Must find the phone number for the guy with the Ludwigs.

Barry