DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-11-2007, 11:18 AM
fourstringdrums

Default New (to me) Gretsch Renown Maple

Uncle Sam gave us a bigger refund than I expected, so this is the result of it.

5 Piece Gretsch Renown in Cherry Burst

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=011

Drums Only $850 - Free Shipping - Overall Near Perfect Condition.

18x22 Bass
7x8 Tom
8x10 Tom
9x12 Tom
12x14 Tom

I also bought a 5.5x14 matching snare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=003

I have a Saluda 4x13 Saluda Birch snare on order (about 4 weeks) but I couldn't pass up getting a matching snare for this kit. I figure I could always sell either snare, or most likely just keep both and have 2 different sound options.

The kit doesn't come with hardware so I also bought (new from Music123) 4 Gibraltar tom clamps, and a Yamaha 740 boom stand. I plan on having 8/10 over my bass, 14 on my right and either the 12 on my left off the hi-hat or I just may not use it.

So it looks like my Gretsch Catalina Birch is for sale if anyone is interested :)
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: New (to me) Gretsch Renown Maple

beautiful stuff, and $850 is not that much really. i'm not objective here, cause i'm a biiig gretsch fan, but that's a real cool set. i didn't hear a renown live, but i can imagine how does it sound... so warm, and 'round' :).

btw dude, you got a nick 'klaymen'??? i grew up playing Neverhood! :D
Old 02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperivo View Post
beautiful stuff, and $850 is not that much really. i'm not objective here, cause i'm a biiig gretsch fan, but that's a real cool set. i didn't hear a renown live, but i can imagine how does it sound... so warm, and 'round' :).

btw dude, you got a nick 'klaymen'??? i grew up playing Neverhood! :D
Yeah I figured I got a pretty good deal. Maybe alittle less once I bought the new matching snare, but it's definately cheaper than $1600 or so for a new set. Of course I had to buy tom holders too.

Haha yup, Neverhood. That is still one of my all time favorites, even though I no longer play computer games. I think I still have it around here some where... I also had the SkullMonkeys game for playstation.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Another Gretsch eh? That's a beautiful kit, I hope it serves you well, it looks utterly beautiful. Congratulations Rob, yet another kit!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Another Gretsch eh? That's a beautiful kit, I hope it serves you well, it looks utterly beautiful. Congratulations Rob, yet another kit!
Thanks mate. You have a 6 piece kit right? Didn't you do the 2 toms over the bass, one on the left, one on the right, setup at some point?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

It's actually a five, but the basic premise was the same. It's on my kit thread, which is on the first page of the 'Your Gear' section. It was one up, one left, one right. Worked well, was a nice little setup, I'm in an experimental phase at the moment with a floor tom on the right, snare and bass. It's a good setup, but I'm hardly using the floor tom! Would like a kit like your new one buddy!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
It's actually a five, but the basic premise was the same. It's on my kit thread, which is on the first page of the 'Your Gear' section. It was one up, one left, one right. Worked well, was a nice little setup, I'm in an experimental phase at the moment with a floor tom on the right, snare and bass. It's a good setup, but I'm hardly using the floor tom! Would like a kit like your new one buddy!
My thing is, I hate paying for say a 5 piece and only using 4 most of the time :)
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Hahaha. I'm quite happy to have redundant drums lying around, I have an entire electronic kit lying around that I barely use, but I've been thinking of some uses for it...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Beautiful kit, fourstrings. Gretsch makes a super product. I love that 'burst' finish. The Renown is a great choice. Enjoy the kit and congratulations.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

sounds like you got a great deal. that finish looks nice (although in some pictures it looked almost just straight black... wierd lighting). cool kit
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
fourstringdrums

I found this picture of the finish on PDF. Sweet :) I've always loved this type of finish, but for some reason the last 3 times I've bought a kit I haven't gotten it.I do wish that my 14" had legs and that I could've found one with a virgin bass drum, but I'm not going to be that picky :)

Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

im interested in your catalina. what price you looking for/ what are specs?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:22 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
im interested in your catalina. what price you looking for/ what are specs?
PM sent. 20 characters.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Nice looking kit there. Don't you love getting paid back by the government? hahah I can't wait for my refund! I like the layout of that kit. My new kit will be set up pretty similar to that.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
Nice looking kit there. Don't you love getting paid back by the government? hahah I can't wait for my refund! I like the layout of that kit. My new kit will be set up pretty similar to that.
I will probably have 8 & 10 over the bass, 14 on the right and 12 on the left. I'll have to see once it comes in though.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I will probably have 8 & 10 over the bass, 14 on the right and 12 on the left. I'll have to see once it comes in though.
That's what I want to try with mine as well. 10, 12 up top a little to the left and 14 left of hats and 16 on the right.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
That's what I want to try with mine as well. 10, 12 up top a little to the left and 14 left of hats and 16 on the right.
I'll probably clamp it to my hi-hat. I found I can do that without the hi-hat tipping over.

I heard back from the seller again today, he forgot to mention that the drums are only 3-4 weeks old! There is one or two small nick or scratch if you really look hard enough, but according to him they're in near perfect/new condition. So that makes me feel like I got an even better deal, even after you factor in the seperate snare I ordered. $1042 shipped. Although I had to order seperate mounting hardware. I believe a new 5 piece shell pack is $1600, not sure about a 6 piece. Probably closer to $1800.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
fourstringdrums

I made a mistake, the drums are 8 months old. The heads that are on it are 3-4 weeks old. Duh. :)
Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM

Nice score fourstrings. I looked at the renowns a few times at GC, they are built fantastic, like a tank, and I will tell you now if you've not had a chance to handle them in the flesh in the past, they are very dense and heavy! Of course we all expect the obligatory user review once you recieve them and get them set up. How many is that in the last 2 years, 3 kits? Welcome to the neurotic drum owners club!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Renowns and Turks? Maaaan, somebody hit the jackpot! You got an amazing deal on that kit, and you're going to have to spoil us with pics and videos once you get everything unpacked.

This makes me want to fast-forward to graduation so I can order my Catalina Ash. Only three more months!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

I played that kit at a local GC and it was one of the best kits ive ever heard. The tone is soo round and full. If it wasnt real, i would swear it was electronic.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
I played that kit at a local GC and it was one of the best kits ive ever heard. The tone is soo round and full. If it wasnt real, i would swear it was electronic.
Is that a good thing or bad thing? Some electronic kits I think sound like garbage :)

Dingbat - since 2004 I've had Yamaha Oak Customs, and at the same time I bought a few new zildjians. Then I had the PDP's and bought my HHX's, and then I bought my Catalina Birch kit.

I found out that DHL screwed up and can't pick up the kit tonight from the seller which means I won't have it until Friday. I honestly hate DHL, but for free shipping I can't really complain. As long as they don't lose it like they did my Pacific kit.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:02 AM

I remember your DHL woes when you purchased the PDP from Midwestern, I hope they have everything sorted out in short order.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:04 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
I remember your DHL woes when you purchased the PDP from Midwestern, I hope they have everything sorted out in short order.
They should, I can't imagine they'd make that mistake twice :) I just have really never felt comfortable with any delivery company who shows up in a van with a sign taped to the side (seriously). They do have delivery trucks, but not in my area.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:33 AM

LUCKY! haha...Great deal on those drums! They look great and must sound great!

Congrats
Old 02-13-2007, 03:45 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch223 View Post
LUCKY! haha...Great deal on those drums! They look great and must sound great!

Congrats
They do look great. As for sound, we'll see when they show up, but I'm sure they do :)