DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-14-2015, 08:06 AM

Default Ludwig Aerodyne Cymbal Boom

Anyone have experience with these? I am specifically interested in the Mini Booms, but would also like to hear from those that have Atlas boom stands, because my questions could be answered by people experienced with those, as well.

I want to replace the two Gibraltar ratchet booms, that I fly off my rack's 48" uprights, with booms with gearless tilters.

I have some Pearl CH2000 arms and the Gyrolock tilters are awesome. I use these to support a sizzle ride and a China. Very solid hold without having to fiddle with locking screws. But, these are double-boom arms which makes them much too heavy and way overkill for this particular application.

I would go Pearl CH-1030, but they are simply too long for this application. So, at first I was thinking Gibraltar SC-SBBTs but then started leaning toward Tama MCB30ENs because I didn't want to have to worry about tilter locking screws. I figured I would just slide Tama MCB30ENs into the existing Gibraltar down tubes because the SC-4425s have a smaller down tube ratchet than the SC-SBBTs do, and since I run the boom rods straight out of the down tubes, the smaller down tube ratchet of the SC-4425s would help the arms look more streamlined.

But, then I discovered Ludwig Atlas Mini Booms, which have the double-axis rotating Aerodyne tilters. They also have 3/4" down tubes instead of 7/8", which would further reduce the profiles of the boom arms. If, in the end, the Ludwig down tube ratchets look too bulky flying off the 48" uprights, I figure I can just slide the Ludwig boom rods inro the Gibraltar down tubes I have instead. So, my questions are:

1) Do Aerodyne tilters hold as solidly as Pearl Gyrolocks?

2) Is the down tube angle adjuster also gearless?

3) Since the Ludwig Mini Boom uses a 12mm boom rod, I could use a Tama ML12 boom rod memory lock, or does Ludwig make memory locks for their boom rods?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ludwig Aerodyne Cymbal Boom

I don't have terribly much experience with the Ludwig hardware, however I know exactly what you're trying to accomplish. FWIW, I use the Gibraltar SC-SBBT mini boom arms and love them. I know you don't prefer the tilter locking screw, but like the DW, it's there for "extra" reinforcement.

I DO have the Ludwig Long Scissor Lift which I mount a second crash off my floor tom leg. It fits on to 12mm arms very nicely and everything is gearless that I could tell. It does not come with memory locks because it's all one unit unlike a boom arm assembly but I have no problem setting it up and tearing down 2x a week - everything stays nice and tight. So I'd have confidence in other ATLAS hardware. Ironically, I'm so used to them I wouldn't mind a locking tilter screw!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback. On the SC-SBBT, does the tilter hold tightly without the locking screw? And, why would you want a locking screw on the Scissors Lift?

There are so many conflicting length specs out there, and I need a length on one side of my rack that may be pushing the limit on a short boom. Could you do me a favor and measure your SBBT for me? I need to know the longest length it can be extended to, from the bottom of the downturn to the middle of the tilter on the boom rod. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

I don't have the boom stand unfortunately, but I do have two of the Atlas Standard straight stands with the infinite tilter. They're as solid as any other tilter, having tried two of the Pearl ones and owning a Tama as well. Great hardware.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 AM

Thanks for chiming in. I spoke to a Ludwig dealer today. Turns out the Atlas mini booms are really mini. Completely extended straight they are only 20.5 inches to the middle of the cymbal tilter. I need 23 inches. That's too bad, because I really like the idea of having dual axis rotation those Aerodynes provide. I was ready to pop for those mini booms and just use the rods off of them, because they are quite reasonably priced, but even the boom rods are too short. But, they are pretty much the same price as the Tama MCB30EN, and instead of getting only a boom rod, the Ludwig is the complete two-piece boom arm, along with having the better tilter.

Kudos to Jake at Dale's Drum Shop for opening up the packages of the Ludwig and Tama to take measurements for me.

If those Pearl tilters weren't so darned much money, I'd just make my own rods using those and some percussion rods. Percussions rods are cheap enough, but I don't know about spending $70 on a Pearl tilter. That's as much as an entire Pearl boom arm!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
I DO have the Ludwig Long Scissor Lift which I mount a second crash off my floor tom leg. It fits on to 12mm arms very nicely and everything is gearless that I could tell. It does not come with memory locks because it's all one unit unlike a boom arm assembly but I have no problem setting it up and tearing down 2x a week - everything stays nice and tight. So I'd have confidence in other ATLAS hardware. Ironically, I'm so used to them I wouldn't mind a locking tilter screw!
I have been doing more research on the Atlas stuff, and it is intriguing. I have a question, though about the conflicting 12mm vs. 12.7mm info on Ludwig's own website. They show all the clamp tilters and Scissors lifts being for 12.7mm rods. They say all their cymbal boom rods are 12mm. But, the pictures show the clamps on those 12mm boom rods. You also said the Scissors Lift fits on 12mm rods. But then they show their percussion rods for additional mounting options for the tilter clamps and Scissors lifts as being 12.7mm. And, their drum lug mounts say 12.7mm, as well. Surely they can't be wrong in so many places. How can 12.7mm tilter clamps and Scissors lifts fit on both 12mm boom rods and 12.7mm percussion rods? Are those percussion rods 12mm or 12.7mm? I really need to know the size to figure what to buy, and their dealers are no help, as they, too have that same conflicting info.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 AM

I noticed different information regarding 12mm vs. 12.7mm. I had a Ludwig tom with an ATLAS mount and figured I could use my DW ball L-arms with it since I read the ATLAS mount was 12.7mm and so is DW's mounting rods. Well, I could've used the DW L rod I suppose, but the ATLAS mount didn't clamp all the way around the DW post when I tightened it. Meaning the new Ludwig hardware is 12mm, not 12.7mm.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 AM

Thank you for the definitive answer!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 AM

Sure, no problem. Why there are conflicting advertisements for this stuff is kinda strange.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM

It's unbelievable the Ludwig would let the size errors go on for so long. I read a post from someone who ordered 12.7mm floor tom legs specifically to use with the Atlas scissor lifts, only to find out that the tom legs are too big! He even said that the information on the packaging of the clamps says 12.7mm, which is obviously wrong. I'd hate to have been him.

I just called and left a message for the product folks at Ludwig in regards to the erroneous information. If they don't care enough to fix their website, marketing materials and packaging, I doubt they will call me back. I guess we'll see.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 PM

Yeah, that would've made me a little unhappy myself. But let's face it, if Ludwig would've made their new stuff 12.7mm, loads of guys could've used DW stuff with their new Ludwig stuff, so, I fully get why Ludwig did it. But getting the advertisement right would be a good idea.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:07 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem stems from Ludwig initially being on the fence about whether to go 12mm or 12.7mm. Pearl and Tama both use 12mm, and it's possible that Pearl and Tama collectively have a bigger market share in hardware than Gibraltar and DW, collectively. Maybe in the end Ludwig decided to go with the larger market, and swung toward 12mm at the last minute, after their marketing materials already had 12.7mm in them.

It's also possible that their marketing design person (likely not a drummer) thought that the difference between 12mm and 12.7mm was so minute that the different specs were really only semantics, and assumed both sizes meant the same thing.

Either way, their Product Manager must not be very bright in letting the misinformation survive as long as it has. Not only must Ludwig be losing sales due to consumers giving up after not being able to find out what they need to buy, having to field the influx of consumer communications they are experiencing due to fitment issues is costing them even more money!

Again, unbelievable!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 PM

You may have a point there, but at least you know now for sure, and you didn't waste any money going by the wrong info. The new ATLAS hardware has some pretty cool features that I think almost anybody would be happy with. Mounting cymbals off the floor tom legs looks like a pretty nifty idea. Be interesting to hear how sturdy a floor tom is regarding the weight of something mounted off of it.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 AM

Yes, the floor tom mounting theoretically looks like "the bomb" for a gigging drummer. Although I always use a Tama rack for quick and consistent setup and small footprint, the Atlas hardware makes me want to try cymbals on one of my floor toms. I am right-handed and have a ride cymbal between my lo-tom and floor tom, and an 18" China to the right of my floor tom. These two cymbals are currently mounted to a 24" right side wing. I actually have two floor toms, a 14" and a 16", but don't really use the 16" because a Mapex Saturn 14" sounds like every other brand's 16". If I could get those cymbals mounted to my 14" floor tom, I could lose the side wing, not to mention have some cool hardware.

I would think a single Atlas tom mount for a ride cymbal would put undue stress on the drum shell. While a dual mount/12mm rod would be safer, that would add more weight to one side of the floor tom, which would already be more weighted by the cymbal arm and cymbal. So, I was thinking the floor tom leg option. But, I think a ride cymbal alone is already risking tipping the floor tom over, not to mention a ride and a China!

I guess if I compromise the angle at which the floor tom is angled, and probably need to compromise where the ride cymbal is placed, it might work. So, I, too, would like to hear from someone flying a ride off a floor tom.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 AM

That was my concern as well. Tipping over a floor tom if a cymbal is too heavy. Ludwig has some good ideas with their new stuff, but the floor tom/cymbal mount idea I'm not so sure about. Maybe if I mounted my AA 12" mini China off of it, that wouldn't be too much weight. I have a new, old stock Ludwig Keystone set coming in two days. I already bought the ATLAS mounts for the two toms, (it still had the vibra-bands), but I didn't bother with the floor toms. And believe me, I'm not knocking Ludwig's new ideas at all, I'm just not sure how stable a floor tom can be with a bigger cymbal mounted to it.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 AM

What do you plan on mounting to the two toms with the Atlas mounts?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
What do you plan on mounting to the two toms with the Atlas mounts?
Nothing. I was just going to have my toms mounted in them and that's it. I have a Yamaha HexRack II, and some stands to mount my cymbals from.