DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 PM
2bsticks's Avatar
2bsticks 2bsticks is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 1,189
Default Drumtacs

I use as little muffling as possible, maybe a piece of moon gel on my 16" floor tom. It works fine but after a while they moon gel gets pretty dirty.

I just ordered a package of Drumtacs, A bit more expensive than moon gel, $20.00 for 4 of them, plus shipping but thought I would give them a try. I hear that they are pretty good. Anyone using them yet?
__________________
Yamaha Live Oak, Magstar Drums, 1971 Slingerlands, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM
cbphoto's Avatar
cbphoto cbphoto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Möbius Strip
Posts: 135
Default Re: Drumtacs

Moon gel is washable. I'm still using the pack I bought 5 years ago.
__________________
~ CB
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 PM
thunderstruck thunderstruck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 365
Default Re: Drumtacs

I have never used Drumtacs, but am familiar with them. Please let us know how they work for you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,587
Default Re: Drumtacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Moon gel is washable. I'm still using the pack I bought 5 years ago.
I don't understand how this works. Every time I buy the stuff, I put it on my drums and it turns to goo after a while. It's not even a shape anymore, it's like all the absorption of the vibrations has turned it into mess. Washing it never helped me, and none of them lasted even a year.
__________________
"I ain't got time to bleed." - Blaine
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 PM
BradGunnerSGT's Avatar
BradGunnerSGT BradGunnerSGT is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 538
Default Re: Drumtacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I don't understand how this works. Every time I buy the stuff, I put it on my drums and it turns to goo after a while. It's not even a shape anymore, it's like all the absorption of the vibrations has turned it into mess. Washing it never helped me, and none of them lasted even a year.
I wonder if he lives in a cooler climate. In Texas, Moongel doesn't last too long at all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 428
Default Re: Drumtacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
I wonder if he lives in a cooler climate. In Texas, Moongel doesn't last too long at all.
+1, especially on outdoor gigs. Them things melt!

It is funny I just ran across the Drumtacs site today for the first time. I might give them a try, but I've actually been having luck with no muffling and just using Aquarian Studio-X Heads.
__________________
"My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 PM
2bsticks's Avatar
2bsticks 2bsticks is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: Drumtacs

I have no issues really with moon gel and I don't use them to often, just the 16" floor tom in some places. I know you can clean the moon gel but I like the fact that the drumtacs are not tacky on both sides and appear to look much neater on the drum.
__________________
Yamaha Live Oak, Magstar Drums, 1971 Slingerlands, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: Drumtacs

I would like to try them... first, though, I'm going to sample some Vater Buzzkills. They're basically just circular clear Moongels that don't come all bunched together.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM
STXBob's Avatar
STXBob STXBob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: St Croix, USVI
Posts: 382
Default Re: Drumtacs

What's so special about Texas? I'm a few miles nearer the equator than y'all, have used Moongel in direct tropical sun, and have experienced none of the problems you describe. I suspect it's not the environment. Sounds like bad batches of gel to me.

Anyway, washing Moongel couldn't be simpler. You wash it. Under cool running water, I just gently rub at it with my fingertips until the gunk comes off. I put it on a soft cloth to dry. Takes all of ten minutes once a year or as needed.
__________________
Cheers,

Bob Davis

St Croix, USVI - America's Caribbean
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2015, 03:38 AM
BradGunnerSGT's Avatar
BradGunnerSGT BradGunnerSGT is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 538
Default Re: Drumtacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
What's so special about Texas? I'm a few miles nearer the equator than y'all, have used Moongel in direct tropical sun, and have experienced none of the problems you describe. I suspect it's not the environment. Sounds like bad batches of gel to me.

Anyway, washing Moongel couldn't be simpler. You wash it. Under cool running water, I just gently rub at it with my fingertips until the gunk comes off. I put it on a soft cloth to dry. Takes all of ten minutes once a year or as needed.
I was making a joke because we have days/weeks where it gets into the 110's (fahrenheit) here during the summer.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com