DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Default Drumtacs

I use as little muffling as possible, maybe a piece of moon gel on my 16" floor tom. It works fine but after a while they moon gel gets pretty dirty.

I just ordered a package of Drumtacs, A bit more expensive than moon gel, $20.00 for 4 of them, plus shipping but thought I would give them a try. I hear that they are pretty good. Anyone using them yet?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Drumtacs

Moon gel is washable. I'm still using the pack I bought 5 years ago.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 PM

I have never used Drumtacs, but am familiar with them. Please let us know how they work for you.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Moon gel is washable. I'm still using the pack I bought 5 years ago.
I don't understand how this works. Every time I buy the stuff, I put it on my drums and it turns to goo after a while. It's not even a shape anymore, it's like all the absorption of the vibrations has turned it into mess. Washing it never helped me, and none of them lasted even a year.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I don't understand how this works. Every time I buy the stuff, I put it on my drums and it turns to goo after a while. It's not even a shape anymore, it's like all the absorption of the vibrations has turned it into mess. Washing it never helped me, and none of them lasted even a year.
I wonder if he lives in a cooler climate. In Texas, Moongel doesn't last too long at all.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
I wonder if he lives in a cooler climate. In Texas, Moongel doesn't last too long at all.
+1, especially on outdoor gigs. Them things melt!

It is funny I just ran across the Drumtacs site today for the first time. I might give them a try, but I've actually been having luck with no muffling and just using Aquarian Studio-X Heads.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

I have no issues really with moon gel and I don't use them to often, just the 16" floor tom in some places. I know you can clean the moon gel but I like the fact that the drumtacs are not tacky on both sides and appear to look much neater on the drum.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

I would like to try them... first, though, I'm going to sample some Vater Buzzkills. They're basically just circular clear Moongels that don't come all bunched together.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM

What's so special about Texas? I'm a few miles nearer the equator than y'all, have used Moongel in direct tropical sun, and have experienced none of the problems you describe. I suspect it's not the environment. Sounds like bad batches of gel to me.

Anyway, washing Moongel couldn't be simpler. You wash it. Under cool running water, I just gently rub at it with my fingertips until the gunk comes off. I put it on a soft cloth to dry. Takes all of ten minutes once a year or as needed.

Bob Davis

St Croix, USVI - America's Caribbean
Old 05-01-2015, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
What's so special about Texas? I'm a few miles nearer the equator than y'all, have used Moongel in direct tropical sun, and have experienced none of the problems you describe. I suspect it's not the environment. Sounds like bad batches of gel to me.

Anyway, washing Moongel couldn't be simpler. You wash it. Under cool running water, I just gently rub at it with my fingertips until the gunk comes off. I put it on a soft cloth to dry. Takes all of ten minutes once a year or as needed.
I was making a joke because we have days/weeks where it gets into the 110's (fahrenheit) here during the summer.