DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Headphones.

Hey!
I was wondering what sort of headphones other drummers use. I have the problem that if i play along with a metronome or track, My drumming overpowers the sound in the headphones. Are there any headphones that block out the outside sound? Could you give me makes and models if there are?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Headphones.

Vic Firth Isolation headphones seem to get touted round here a lot. Never used them myself though. Also you could maybe look into the Shure in ear type headphones?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks! I'll have a look into it!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Hi. I actually use 2 kinds. In the studio and for practice I wear the Vic Firths.

For Live I use Shure E3 In ears.

I do have a complaint about the VF's however. I just hate that heavy coil cord. They would have made a way better headset just using a straight cord.

I have also been looking at these as a replacement for the VF's
These are a bit pricey. If you look around you find a deal on em someplace

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/why%20us.html

Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Senior Administrator

if not vic firth you are looking for pro DJ headphones. these are designed so the mixer can listen to the next track while pumping out very loud volumes around the booth. i got some akg k171 headphones.

very comfortable, cuts out most of the drum loudness while actually leaving the kit sounding pretty cool particularly the cymbals. the sound is excellent.

search for them.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 PM

There's another thread (haven't searched for it) that I read a couple weeks ago and everyone seemed to love these the most for live situations---> http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

But they are pricey so if you are just using them for pracitce, maybe those Vics would be good for you. I use Vic Isolations but not the ones w/ the stereo input in them. I have metronome tracks on my ipod, put the buds in my ear and the phones over it. Works excellent.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 AM

Thanks eightill! Thats the best idea I've heard! Hadn't thought of that! I can't afford the ones with a stereo imput, so thats a great idea!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 AM

I Use Bose Triports. it doesnt completely block out the sound, but enough that you can hear music completely over your drumming, while hearing what you are doing.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightill View Post
There's another thread (haven't searched for it) that I read a couple weeks ago and everyone seemed to love these the most for live situations---> http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

But they are pricey so if you are just using them for pracitce, maybe those Vics would be good for you. I use Vic Isolations but not the ones w/ the stereo input in them. I have metronome tracks on my ipod, put the buds in my ear and the phones over it. Works excellent.
Those are nice phones LOL But still with that annoying coil cord. I dont know why folks do this for pro applications.

And way more than the ones I suggested. Dont get me wrong I love my firths... Its just cord I dont like. It not comfortable draping em over the front and from behind just causes the headphones to be at an odd angle and you lose the iso. Give me a straight cord. Please....

Mike
Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 AM

i've got a comment on this subject.
I love my apple in ear headphones, but i find that for playing along to music or track recording i can't use them, it makes the drums sound super dead, and kills the cymbals especially the bells, so i tend to hit them harder so i can hear them. Whats good that doesn't kill/change the sound.

-Wes
Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
i've got a comment on this subject.
I love my apple in ear headphones, but i find that for playing along to music or track recording i can't use them, it makes the drums sound super dead, and kills the cymbals especially the bells, so i tend to hit them harder so i can hear them. Whats good that doesn't kill/change the sound.

-Wes
My practice rig... Drums are mic-ed Goes to mixing console, CD player goes to console. Click track also to console. Console to headphone amp. Headphone amp to headphones. Headphones to ears. Ears to mind. mind to muscles. Muscles to sticks. sticks to heads. And continue the loop. I know this is overkill but I found this works best for me....

Mike
Old 02-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Player View Post
My practice rig... Drums are mic-ed Goes to mixing console, CD player goes to console. Click track also to console. Console to headphone amp. Headphone amp to headphones. Headphones to ears. Ears to mind. mind to muscles. Muscles to sticks. sticks to heads. And continue the loop. I know this is overkill but I found this works best for me....

Mike
i meant, whats a good headphone that won't kill the sound. or change it but allow me to hear the music clearly.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Silver Member

cheap solution that works (in my opinion) just as well as the vic firths, etc: earbuds under $12 home depot ear protectors.
note that all hearing protection will change the sound somewhat, because high frequencies block easier than low ones
Old 02-03-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
i meant, whats a good headphone that won't kill the sound. or change it but allow me to hear the music clearly.
And mine was the Vic Firths. Read up LOL
Seriously I was explaining how I drive the headphones so I hear the drums clearly and the click or music im playing with. So Sorry. Its been a long week and I was trying to make a funny

:(

Mike
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

For practice I used Ultimate Ears Super fi 5 Pro In ear monitors.... They are amazing, and I can't imagine playing without them anymore.

http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...-Pro-white.htm
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

I have some cheap Target (that's a US discount store like Wal Mart) off brand headphones. They work really well. I can still hear my drums and music.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Koss 'The Plug' earbuds - $15. These are a great deal - they block external sound as well as anything else I've tried and they're good sounding headphones for mp3 listening, or w/e... I use them with my mp3 player for mowing the lawn if you want an idea of their noise blocking ability - not that it silences the lawnmower - but I haven't found another pair of cheap earbuds that even think about letting you hear music over the roar of mower.

Radio Shack sells them too - rebranded with their own name on them.

...and running a mic'd drum mix through a console that lets you blend in another source (like Pearl Player described) is the best way to go if you have that option
Old 02-12-2007, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

I found a set of in-ear i-pod earphones that I like a lot. They have a reversed flange that acts as an ear plug, but in the center of the flange is the speaker. Shuts outside noise almost completely. I can still hear th drums enough to follow what sounds I'm making, but I'm not ever stuggling to hear click-tracks or studio tracks while in the booth. I think I paid $40 for them at Wal-mart...yeah, Wal-mart.

Andy