DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pearl Eliminator Cam Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ondbeat View Post
I've had my eliminators double bass pedals for a year and have been playing with the reds. Been working on different techniques the past few weeks and decided to try the other cams and experiment with different footboard positions.

I was surprised when I moved the footboard inwards with the black cams how much more power I was getting and when i put the reds back it was sooo fast! but no power ...... White seems very balanced to me and blue gave me quick effortless triplets even more... so hard to choose now which I'd play with!!

for now...i think i'm sticking with the blue with the footboard in!

BTW...played DW 9002 for 3 years then tried the eliminators at a store and found them to be more fluid and comfortable...immediately bought them!!

Ben
Pearl Master MCX (Chestnut Fade)
Pearl Eliminators
Sabians
I agree these pedals for the bucks are a superior pedal just for all the different feels and setup you can accomplish. Way to go Pearl...

Last edited by piperdoog; 03-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook & lateral View Post
I'm fairly certain the owner's manual tells you not to play without the cams...
True! The instruction manual says it might damage the pedal...
PS After playing with the linear black cam for a couple of years I am now using the white one (also linear) and I love it. It is smooth, not too powerful, very accurate and well suited for my 18 bass drum.
I recently tried the blue one but I found it a bit awkward. It is offset, powerful and there's an acceleration at the end which I didn't find very natural.

Last edited by lochday; 04-03-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Well, I'm on the reds now, have been playing with blues for a while and the reds seem to be a little easier to handle when playing fast, however I feel I'm losing a bit of power with them. Lets face it, these pedals are the s&%t, I love them.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 AM

started on red's. went to blues....back to reds....I get way more attack with them......
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero243 View Post
GAH i hate when people say that.

YOU DONT NEED A LONG FOOT BOARD FOR HEEL TOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry pet peeve. but if you do it right you can do it with your heel on the foot baord. on the heel plate part. or on the floor. if you know the technique its doable on any pedal.
Yeah I'm sorry, it took me some practice to realize that.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 AM

Where can you buy the regular red white and blue cams? I have been looking for a while, but can't seem to find any.. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

I believe the only way to get them separate from the pedal is to order directly from Pearl. You should be able to find the exact part codes for the cams in the Pearl Spare Parts Catalog, downloadable here:
http://www.pearldrum.com/Customer-Su...-Catalogs.aspx
Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I tried this pedal the other day at Guitar Center, it's fantastic and very well made. I've been playing the DW 5000 AD3 for a couple of years and while it's nice, it's not adjustable. Which eliminator cam color would most closely mimic the 5000 accelerator?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Eliminators are great! I have the BLUE cam on, powershifter all the way up and spring tension set just below medium tension and this baby soars!! Looking forward to converting to double when I get the slave extension.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the help Fiery!! I have been trying to find these things for a while. I got my pedals from my uncle after a flood destroyed his house and some of his cams were gone, so I have only been able to use the white ones, they are smooth and easy but I wanted to try the others out..
Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

I have the same issue weaponsloader. I bought mine off of eBay for about $60, but it only came with the black cam (and is it just me or do Pearl beater have this stupid bit of metal that doesn't let me slide it past a certain point?). Anyway, here: http://www.drumsetc.com/Details.asp?...ID=274&PL=&PH= At $14 PER CAM, I don't think it's worth it, personally. Too bad. I'd really like to be able to do most of what a double bass pedal can do on a single, and some of the cams (red especially) sound like they help with that.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 AM

bumping an old thread, but i thought it'd be better than starting a new one.

can someone please define 'action' and 'feel' for me and clarify the difference between the cams (i.e. what functions are they good for)? I understand 'feel' as a concept, but that "feel VS time" graph for their cams on pearl's site makes no sense to me. and is 'action' the speed? looseness? not really sure...
I can sort of tell the difference in geometry from the tiny picture on the site, but don't know exactly how that affects the feel.

i'm thinking of getting one, so any info would be appreciated
Old 07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

I was using the black cams with the pedal board slid all the way back. Now I am using the white cams with the pedal board in the number 2 position. With a medium to light spring tension. I have tried the blues, I love the punch you can get from the blue cam, but it feels hard to control. For me the white cams make my pedal feel amazing. I yet to try the red cams. They look very extreme. I love this pedal, I used to have Axis pedals but did not like the direct drive. Before I got my Pearls I got DW5002s and returned them the same day for the pearls. the DW felt very heavy and was very difficult to play. Did I say I love my Eliminators.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterbeat View Post
Eliminators are great! I have the BLUE cam on, powershifter all the way up and spring tension set just below medium tension and this baby soars!! Looking forward to converting to double when I get the slave extension.
I tried this pedal the other day at Guitar Center, it's fantastic and very well made. I've been playing the DW 5000 AD3 for a couple of years and while it's nice, it's not adjustable. Which eliminator cam color would most closely mimic the 5000 accelerator?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Blue is my flavor of choice!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Just been reading this thread- makes for some interesting reading

Having not played at all for 2 weeks I spent about 4 hours practising yesterday on a kit in the downstairs venue (of the 3 I regularly play) and then after one gig at about 7 moved upstairs to another venue and played another gig.

The 2 kits are practically identical except the upstairs kit has a dw9000 double pedal. Now whether I was tired from a long day and my foot was aching but I found it so much more difficult playing the 9000 to the eliminator on the downstairs kit. Really tempted to go and but an eliminator double and sell my 9000 now!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

I had been using the blue cam for a year or so. Last week, I switched to the white cam. I think I'm staying with it.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
TFITTING942

After reading through this thread a week ago i was swayed into swithing from the black cams to the blue cams. I honestly cant tell the difference. Both seem to be excellent for me so I am staying with the blue for now.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Just put my Iron Cobras out to grass after two years of problems and bought the eliminator. only used the red cams which came fitted so far. That is serious power and attack but the extreme cam seems difficult to control. I would like to master the red cams as I play mostly rock music but I will see over the next weeks if I can handle it.
However, the build quality is superb!!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Here's the break down of each cam:

White (Oversized round cam)
Much like a larger DW Turbo pedal cam.
More foot board motion to beater motion ratio.
Your foot motion will be slightly greater than the beater motion.

Black (Regular size round cam)
Much like a DW Turbo pedal.
Equal foot board motion to beater motion ratio.
Your foot motion will be the same as the beater motion.
Balanced.
This cam equates to most early chain drive pedals including Camco.

Blue (Slightly aggressive cam)
Much like a DW Accelerator pedal.
Slightly less foot board motion than beater motion ratio.
Your foot motion will be a bit less than the beater motion.
A bit top heavy.
Most popular.

Red (Aggressive cam)
Much like the old Tama Flexi Flyer.
Less foot board motion than beater motion.
Your foot motion will be much less than the beater motion.
This cam is much like the early strap drive pedals of the 60's and 70's.
The older drummers enjoy this pedal since it's much like what they learned on.
Top heavy: Feels like holding a baseball bat at the very end.

Beware: The red cam is not necessarily "faster" than the others.

Overall: Take time (a month) to use each without changing any other variables (spring tension, beater height. etc. I use different cams for different occasions. Although, the Black cam is my overall fav. It equates to the old pearl pedal I grew up using.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

I pretty much swear by the blue cams, but I also recommend white.

Last edited by schist; 02-05-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 PM

I use the blue cam on my strap drive and chain drive versions. Great pedal at a bargain price.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM

Any suggestions on the best cam to use for jazz (i.e., for feathering the bass drum)? And, same question for spring tension.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by romicsteve View Post
Any suggestions on the best cam to use for jazz (i.e., for feathering the bass drum)? And, same question for spring tension.
I didn't use my Eliminator pedal for a very long period of time, but when I did, it was either the black or white cams when playing jazz. Both cams feel very much alike and are extremely linear in their action.

Dennis
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM

My pedal isn't necessarily an Eliminator, as I've basically used parts from a combination of pedals, mainly the Gibraltar 9000 and the Powershifter. I recently remembered I had a Pearl Eliminator cable hi-hat lying around, not in use (and probably never), so I took the cam off of it onto this Fraken-pedal, since the original Gibraltar "round" cam felt too sluggish for the Constant-Release technique (which some people call heel-toe) I was doing. I tried the two non-round cams that I had on me, being the red or blue cam.

Blue wins by far, for several reasons, but one in particular that isn't mentioned: I keep my springs VERY loose, and with the blue cam, the beater almost always comes all the way back for a new stroke. The red cam has too much of a "hump" to go over to even come out of the head, so it was an easy elimination.

MY final answer: BLUE!!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Hey guys,im new around here !
I was a Tama iron cobra user ,until ive tried a Pearl elim double pedal at a gig.I was totally blown away by the quality and durability of that pedal O.O
Ive used cobras for almost 2 years ,but I gotta admit that Eliminator kills cobras hard.
About the cams: When i first tried the pedals i tried all the colors, and ive chosen the blue one.After that I was experimenting a bit more and realized that the white ones are also really really good,smooth and balanced, so i used those.The red and black ones doesnt fit my leg for some reason...i really cant control red ones .Today I tried all of them again ,and i switched back to blue ones.
Im playing metal/metalcore music with faster tempos (160-210) and i gotta say that i really enjoy these speeds with these pedals !
if ure interested ,check my band: http://www.facebook.com/deepestemptiness
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 AM

After three months of loving my Eliminators, I've settled on the red cams.

They're very aggressive and they just feel right.

Hands down, the elims are the most comfortable pedals I've ever played and I'm so happy to own the last set of pedals I'll ever need.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
After three months of loving my Eliminators, I've settled on the red cams.

They're very aggressive and they just feel right.

Hands down, the elims are the most comfortable pedals I've ever played and I'm so happy to own the last set of pedals I'll ever need.
^^ This!

Reds just feel great! As my post above, being trying to get used to the 9000's for months now but just switched back to the eliminator and my god they feel so much better than the DW's

Never going to change this pedal again for as long as I drum
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 AM

I currently have the white ones on mine. I upgraded to the Elims only a few days ago from DW 4000s (which are the same as 2000s, but with cams instead of sprockets), so I wanted to get a similar linear feel, but with the added punch of the oversized action.
However, after seeing this thread, I'll definitely be experimenting with the other colors. Blue cam, you're next...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM

Red's for my favourite 2002 Eliminators
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
The Old Hyde

was using blue. Lost my slave side cam?? replaced it with black....kept falling out saturday night. Now I have the white one on my slave side, blue on my main pedal. If this falls out, Im getting another brand of pedal.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM

i don't use pearls but i have this chart for when i do sell the pedals. and i have a new black cam left for sale.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM

Good 'ol trusty black cam for me. I don't like off-set cams so that rules out anything other than black and white. The white didn't feel a whole lot different than the black aside from the fact that it felt like my foot was doing more work than with the black cam.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 AM

I'm a very big fan of Eliminators too...!
I normally use black cam but I have just recently put the red cam on, curious how it will turn out for me. I think all the cams are good, its just what's best for you feel-wise
Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 AM

I was using the red cams for a number of months but I've switched to the purple cams. The red cam feels very light, a little too light for me. The purple cam in my opinion is the best because it combines both the red and blue cam, which is also great but a little too heavy for my liking. The purple cam is the perfect balance, and it works great with the springs which I like to keep very loose. I love my Eliminator's so much that I'm getting an Eliminator hi hat stand as well, which will also be furnished with a purple cam. I want to keep the feel and settings between the drum pedals and hi hat stand as close as possible. In the future I want to get another Eliminator hi hat stand to put on my right side. And much further down the road, I'd like to get 2 single Eliminator pedals. They'll be placed after the hi hat stand on either side for a 6 pedal Multi Pedal setup.