DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default A stunning change for me.....

Most of you will know that My kits have always been back smashingly large.

Over the past few months I have been undergoing some drumming revelations, almost the way Neil Peart did.

I had learned Trad grip, and played around with all manner of setups.

One of the changes that most surprised me was that I realized that I wanted to play a big kit not because I wanted to - but I was trying to fulfill some kind of image.

It was painful, But Ive realized how much happier with a FOUR PIECE!!!!

My kit has essentially shrunk from a 7 piece monster to this, and I LOVE IT!!!

Pic time:

Another angle.

Also - the benefits of an unfettered Bass drum....

Thanks for looking - please ask questions,
fijjibo

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: A stunning change for me.....

Great, a four piece setup is the way a drum kit was meant to look. I bet your playing will improve with that setup as well.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 PM

wow looks good! im messing around with a four piece setup now and I like it. I dont know if ill stay with it but i like the feel of it. love that finish on your mapex M birch drums!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Great, a four piece setup is the way a drum kit was meant to look. I bet your playing will improve with that setup as well.
cheers, when I sat down at this set-up I instantly discovered I can do crossovers, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbuddy105133 View Post
wow looks good! im messing around with a four piece setup now and I like it. I dont know if ill stay with it but i like the feel of it. love that finish on your mapex M birch drums!
Cheers man.

I like the setup, and might stick with it for a while, but sometimes things change...

Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Fijibo, Love the new 4 pc setup man!

I had the same exact thought process you did with the moster kit to a 4pc.(use to want to play rock and metal now all I want is jazz)

Now all you need is to replace your left cymbal with a ride or crash/ride to your left and your set ;-D
Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

what kind of hats do you have? i love the setup dude, i was thinking of going to a 4 piece but i cant decide on which tom to let go.. right now i have a 5 piece. i think the trad. grip is quite hard coming up from matched.. is there any tricks you can share? or do we have to go out and be taught this hands on?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Like the new setup. Have you down sizes your cymbal setup as well? What size are the two toms you're using now? 13" and 16" they look like to me but I'm not sure?

Tom
Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

hey man, I have had the same stage a few months ago aswell, but I have extended my drumset since then to a 6 piece since then. I will downsize very soon again I think, just to keep everything interesting for myself and to give my self no chance to get into fills all the time. Maybe I might even want to go 3 piece or 2 piece, I don't know. I don't use my floors to often, I mostly use my 2 rack toms, so going down to just the base, snare and floortom would be almost like an amputation.
And is trad. grip really that hard to learn? I've always liked the way it looks and for 16th notes it seems much more comfy.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Pioneer Member

When we started gigging I slimmed my kit down to a four piece as you cant really fit any more than that on most London pub/club stages. In doing that I have slighty changed cymbal positions too, I find it much more enjoyable and comfortable to play on!!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 AM
fourstringdrums

Awesome, welcome to our side :) If I play on anything bigger than a 4 piece now, I start getting cold sweats.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Gold Member

Beauty man! 4 piece is really where I live. I have a 5 piece setup with my middle tom on the left, but that's just for kicks. I still consider it a 4 piece, it plays like one. Stay that way, you'll enjoy life longer.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Pioneer Member

What is with everyone disin' big kits. I think as a drummer the more the better ESPECIALLY in a practice room scenerio. Four pieces are great for gigs, but if you are not at a gig and have it why not set it up? Plus everyone has a fourpiece set up. And no it does not take more thought, and creativity to play on a four piece than any larger kits. I personally believe the more drums you have the harder it is to create a more tastefull approach to the music. More tones and sounds to play around with. I play an eight piece kit and can comfortably go down to a two piece.
RANT OVER.
Nice kit. Have fun on the drums.
peace

(set up the rest! haha)
Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
Fijibo, Love the new 4 pc setup man!

I had the same exact thought process you did with the moster kit to a 4pc.(use to want to play rock and metal now all I want is jazz)

Now all you need is to replace your left cymbal with a ride or crash/ride to your left and your set ;-D
I might. I want to have a Turk flat ride for that, ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
what kind of hats do you have? i love the setup dude, i was thinking of going to a 4 piece but i cant decide on which tom to let go.. right now i have a 5 piece. i think the trad. grip is quite hard coming up from matched.. is there any tricks you can share? or do we have to go out and be taught this hands on?
Hats wise, they are soon to be updated Planet z's.....
replaced with Bosphorus Trad hats.

The thing about learning trad grip, that most people miss, is the Importance of correct Fulcrum point.
You should Type Art Verdi or Derrick Pope in youtube, they have some awesome videos explaining fulcrum point.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
Like the new setup. Have you down sizes your cymbal setup as well? What size are the two toms you're using now? 13" and 16" they look like to me but I'm not sure?
I have downsized my cymbals Temporarily, Untill I replace them with Bosphorus.

The toms run either 10" and 13" like in the pic, or for my prog band I may use the 16" floor tom too. BONHAM STYLE!!!!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
And is trad. grip really that hard to learn? I've always liked the way it looks and for 16th notes it seems much more comfy.
It is tricky to learn, but once youve picked up some good technique habits it flows by itself. The worst thing is youll have to sacrifice a bit of speed while your developing your left hand strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Awesome, welcome to our side :) If I play on anything bigger than a 4 piece now, I start getting cold sweats.
Cheers Rob. When I get some Bosphorus, Ill be on your side even more.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546 View Post
What is with everyone disin' big kits. I think as a drummer the more the better ESPECIALLY in a practice room scenerio. Four pieces are great for gigs, but if you are not at a gig and have it why not set it up? Plus everyone has a fourpiece set up. And no it does not take more thought, and creativity to play on a four piece than any larger kits. I personally believe the more drums you have the harder it is to create a more tastefull approach to the music. More tones and sounds to play around with. I play an eight piece kit and can comfortably go down to a two piece.
RANT OVER.

(set up the rest! haha)
Lol, I see what your saying, and for the past year or so Ive been a defender of big kit faith, but now Im on the Dark side......

I think that its down to the drummer what size kit he plays, and right now Im happy with this.

Besides, I f anyone does "Diss" Big kits, I personally send Mike Portnoy round to their houses to "Have words", lol, I joke.... Even Mike appreciates a small kit once in a while.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
Beauty man! 4 piece is really where I live. I have a 5 piece setup with my middle tom on the left, but that's just for kicks. I still consider it a 4 piece, it plays like one. Stay that way, you'll enjoy life longer.
Thanks man, I like your kit. Your 18" kick screams four piece, even with the extra tom. :-)

Ill enjoy life even more when I get some classy cymbals like yours....

Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546 View Post
What is with everyone disin' big kits.
Mighty defensive there, seein' that no one in this thread is disin' big kits. My kit, normally a 5 piece, is on "holiday", so right now I'm drivin' http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3442_IMG.jpg something smaller. We can all co-exist.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Very cool!

Although if you play with a trad grip like in your avatar picture, you need to practice more... :-)

it's almost correct, just that your thumb should touch the index finger in it's first joint! It's an important thing!!

ps. you're also holding the stick out of the balance point, you're too far up, slide a bit back

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

Are there good websites on traditional grip? I don't have anyone to teach me, so I'll have to do with the internet.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Mighty defensive there, seein' that no one in this thread is disin' big kits. My kit, normally a 5 piece, is on "holiday", so right now I'm drivin' http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3442_IMG.jpg something smaller. We can all co-exist.
Good point.

I have a little rule - If something kicks of on one of my threads, I get the mods to get rid of it - full stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom View Post
Very cool!

Although if you play with a trad grip like in your avatar picture, you need to practice more... :-)

it's almost correct, just that your thumb should touch the index finger in it's first joint! It's an important thing!!

ps. you're also holding the stick out of the balance point, you're too far up, slide a bit back
Dont worry - I was just posing for the camera, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Are there good websites on traditional grip? I don't have anyone to teach me, so I'll have to do with the internet.
Go to you tube and either type in Art Verdi or Derrick Pope.
They have great vids that explain it.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 PM

the last picture of the finish on that bass makes me wanna build a time machine and go back and get an m birch instead of my superstar. that is beautiful
Old 07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

when i take the tom off of my kit, i find it much more enjoyable to play with one tom(on the rack) and my floor tom.. im not really sure why but i get more speed and angles. i think its because there isnt a tom there.. wow im my own answerer
Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokarfian View Post
the last picture of the finish on that bass makes me wanna build a time machine and go back and get an m birch instead of my superstar. that is beautiful
Wow, cheers.

I was gonna get a Tama too - But this Kit was far too good to pass up!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

It is nice to see your evolution.

I predict that after a while, you will become bored with such a small set and start adding pieces again. The nice thing about having a large set is you can always break it down to a small set if you want. I have a six-piece that I sometimes play as a four-piece. So do I have a large set that I reduce, or a small set that I expand? After a while the big kit/small kit distinction is meaningless, because you have dozens of different configurations hiding inside, waiting to be tried out.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

I predict that after a while, you will become bored with such a small set and start adding pieces again. The nice thing about having a large set is you can always break it down to a small set if you want. I have a six-piece that I sometimes play as a four-piece. So do I have a large set that I reduce, or a small set that I expand? After a while the big kit/small kit distinction is meaningless, because you have dozens of different configurations hiding inside, waiting to be tried out.
Maybe, maybe not. For me personally, If I only had the 4 drums I never wanted for more. If I had one or more drums I could add on, I would get the urge to put them back and it would last for about a day. I'd realize what I had and take them all off again. I've been a diehard 4 piecer for the last 4 years or so now.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Maybe, maybe not. For me personally, If I only had the 4 drums I never wanted for more. If I had one or more drums I could add on, I would get the urge to put them back and it would last for about a day. I'd realize what I had and take them all off again. I've been a diehard 4 piecer for the last 4 years or so now.

Well guys, I think that I may or may not, like Rob said.

However, DMC, you are correct in the fact that with my large kit, I have numerous different combinations waiting to be tried.

There is no telling whether I will shrink or grow my kit - Im not sure....

Ive never really tried a four piece for any great length of time, so by trying one Ill either discover that I love them, or that I hate one and would rather drive a 6+ piece. Im just playing around and trying to find what suits me.

As ever, Ill let you all know what I come up with.

fijjibo

Old 07-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Thanks man, I like your kit. Your 18" kick screams four piece, even with the extra tom. :-)

Ill enjoy life even more when I get some classy cymbals like yours....
Down with those planet Z's (hah)
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
Down with those planet Z's (hah)
I agree.....

Ive got some Bosphorus on the way, so thats ok......

Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I love to hear stories of drummers comming to revelations about how they didn't realize how a simple shrink down of thier kit would give them an edge in thier playing. Beautiful finish on the kit too. Hope it continues to work for ya.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I love to hear stories of drummers comming to revelations about how they didn't realize how a simple shrink down of thier kit would give them an edge in thier playing. Beautiful finish on the kit too. Hope it continues to work for ya.
Yeah, like jonescrusher said, my playing has been improving in the week since I shrunk my kit.

Maybe because my kit is small - it fits in my room - therefore Ive actually been playing all day....

lol

Old 07-27-2007, 06:28 PM

Nice kit :P

im thinkn in doing the same

dont you have pics from your other kits?

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

...very nice Fij.

My first kit was a four piece. I have tried to play bigger kits, but they just bring out the "wanker" in me. Same with adding more cymbals.

Do you find that after playing on a larger kit that you have more focus on the four ?

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

I feel the exact same way. I purchased and played a massive kit.

Since I bought my 5 piece, I am thinking of selling the monster kit to buy a high end 5 piece kit.

I am having so much fun with it. I am using single bass now.

It forces you to be so much more "groove" oriented and is much more confortable to play.

Congrats on the revelation.

Mike
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_se View Post
Nice kit :P

im thinkn in doing the same

dont you have pics from your other kits?
Thanks for the comments and thread Bumpage. lol.

Yeah, If you search on my profile Im sure youll find the old threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...very nice Fij.

My first kit was a four piece. I have tried to play bigger kits, but they just bring out the "wanker" in me. Same with adding more cymbals.

Do you find that after playing on a larger kit that you have more focus on the four ?

Barry
Thanks.

I do feel that after managing with speed on a large kit it is easier to progress on the four piece.

Especially as I can get my drums lower and better positioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
I feel the exact same way. I purchased and played a massive kit.

Since I bought my 5 piece, I am thinking of selling the monster kit to buy a high end 5 piece kit.

I am having so much fun with it. I am using single bass now.

It forces you to be so much more "groove" oriented and is much more confortable to play.

Congrats on the revelation.

Mike
Ive noticed the exact same thing groove wise.

Its ironic that now I have less drums, I use them better.

cheers

Old 08-03-2007, 12:27 AM

nice a four piece I allways go back to it too.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB View Post
nice a four piece I allways go back to it too.
Yeah.

I just love the position and proximity this kit gives me.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Pioneer Member

I have a six piece kit which was odd for me, as I had always played on five piece kits before I got this one. Strangely enough I gig with 4 piece kits or less. I think there's a lot more fun things you can have on drum kits other than just toms which can get in the way at times. There is fun stuff out there like woodblocks, cowbells, brake drums, splash cymbals, tambourines, temple blocks, a go-go bells, triangles, etc. that you can play with instead. I like the early jazz guys' kits, or rather trap sets, with all the fun little stuff on there and 1 or no toms at all. Of course they had a large bass drum too, which are fun. The sad part about drumming is that there is all of this feeling that you have to play certain ways using certain things and that just isn't the case. You don't really have to do anything, unless I suppose someone's paying you enough :) If you don't use toms much certainly don't go carrying them around. Always feel free to just break it down with a woodblock solo (listen to a lot of older music and you'll see what I mean). People ask me all the time why I don't use a double pedal and really I've never felt the need for one. People tried to figure out why I didn't even bring toms one time to a gig, never needed them, got plenty out of snare, bass, hi-hats, and rides. It's like people forget there are rims, and uh-oh..listen to this...a lever to turn the snares off and you can get a whole different sound! Watch some of the videos on the main page here of guys like Sam Woodyard who can get so many different sounds out of a small kit or guys like Jo Jones who can solo on a hi-hat of all things. Having more stuff doesn't mean much unless you can use it all, in which case you might be the next Bozzio.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I have a six piece kit which was odd for me, as I had always played on five piece kits before I got this one. Strangely enough I gig with 4 piece kits or less. I think there's a lot more fun things you can have on drum kits other than just toms which can get in the way at times. There is fun stuff out there like woodblocks, cowbells, brake drums, splash cymbals, tambourines, temple blocks, a go-go bells, triangles, etc. that you can play with instead. I like the early jazz guys' kits, or rather trap sets, with all the fun little stuff on there and 1 or no toms at all. Of course they had a large bass drum too, which are fun. The sad part about drumming is that there is all of this feeling that you have to play certain ways using certain things and that just isn't the case. You don't really have to do anything, unless I suppose someone's paying you enough :) If you don't use toms much certainly don't go carrying them around. Always feel free to just break it down with a woodblock solo (listen to a lot of older music and you'll see what I mean). People ask me all the time why I don't use a double pedal and really I've never felt the need for one. People tried to figure out why I didn't even bring toms one time to a gig, never needed them, got plenty out of snare, bass, hi-hats, and rides. It's like people forget there are rims, and uh-oh..listen to this...a lever to turn the snares off and you can get a whole different sound! Watch some of the videos on the main page here of guys like Sam Woodyard who can get so many different sounds out of a small kit or guys like Jo Jones who can solo on a hi-hat of all things. Having more stuff doesn't mean much unless you can use it all, in which case you might be the next Bozzio.
Im really getting into small four piece kits with lots of cymbals.

Cymbals arent that hard to cart around, plus there are so many cool ones out there.

Im thinking about getting a rack actually, to make having lots of cymbals easier...