DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 AM
larlev

Default moongel...sure is ugly

Why not make moongel in CLEAR and WHITE?????

It is great....but the more I play the more of an eyesore it is....

Rant over.....
Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: moongel...sure is ugly

It is probably because they get the blue jelly for sixteen cents from china.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

agreed! we demand clear!!

Myspace-Add me!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:36 AM
larlev

I tried to call the manuf. RTOM

Let's all call and heavily suggest.....www.rtom.com
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 AM

or you can just make your own clear ones from an airsoft gun target like i did?

instead of getting 4 blue ones for $7. You can have 20 (or more, depending on how well you cut, assuming its the size of a normal moongel) clear ones for $7.

how i made it, would be in this thread, on page 3

http://www.drumdogs.com/message-boar...ic.php?t=12929
Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

or just buy those sticky-hands, but clear ones.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Instead of moongel, i would suggest buying dampening rings. They are cheaper and just as effective if not more effective. Also you can play on this and the sound is the same. Also, they are white.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Instead of moongel, i would suggest buying dampening rings. They are cheaper and just as effective if not more effective. Also you can play on this and the sound is the same. Also, they are white.
OR you can want the option of altering the amount of dampening.

OR you could learn how to tune!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Don't forget EMADs!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Yes, learning to tune (without a drum dial) is a great idea. As far as the moon gel, it does it's job well, & nobody knows it's there but you, try not to lose sleep over it. Maybe concentrate on counting measures & don't stare at your moon gel, you'll get over it, really.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh is a cult View Post
Don't forget EMADs!!!
or Aquarian Super Kicks!!

Well I dont mind using it for now as i am getting all new drum heads this month. But they should make it clear.

Peace
AGR
Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post

That's what I'm thinking.

I'd really like some of our gurus to start a thread on why dampening is needed at all with current head offerings.

SRJ
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM
larlev

Using moongel has nothing to do with tuning.....never has, never will

I am no guru but I'll explain for you.....some people like it....good enough answer

Seriously..... some shells have sharper bearing edges(hence more overtones...dampening could be needed)...some have rounded edges(hence less overtones because of more head to edge contact...less dampening needed....... some rooms that we practice in don't lend themselves to great acoustics, some people prefer 2 ply heads with no applica, so that dampening can be put on and taken off as needed.....

do I need to list more reasons?????

MFB and N2 Congratulations on being such a great drum tuners.....
Old 01-24-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Using moongel has nothing to do with tuning.....never has, never will

I am no guru but I'll explain for you.....some people like it....good enough answer

Seriously..... some shells have sharper bearing edges(hence more overtones...dampening could be needed)...some have rounded edges(hence less overtones because of more head to edge contact...less dampening needed....... some rooms that we practice in don't lend themselves to great acoustics, some people prefer 2 ply heads with no applica, so that dampening can be put on and taken off as needed.....

do I need to list more reasons?????

MFB and N2 Congratulations on being such a great drum tuners.....

Ouch. Sounds like someone is a little grumpy.

You're right; some people like it. I was looking to have an objective opinion-based answer. Obviously, I don't have the answer. Nor am I being objective. I am on this forum to learn and make acquaintances. I meant no offense.

I have another Q: If the dampening is primarily for overtones, why not change style / manufacturer of heads? I've used everything from Remo Ambassadors, Evans G1/G2, and more recently (and for good) Aquarian Super-2, Studio-X, and Classic clears. I've not had to use anything to reduce overtones, On either my super-thick Sonor Beech shells or thin Mapex Saturns. Is it the drums used? One's taste in sound? FWIW, my Sonors have a big fat "round" bearing edge, while my Saturns have a very thin "sharp" bearing edge.

I think more often than not, dampening is used for the wrong reasons, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the response.

SRJ
Old 01-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

For me its not actual dampening, its this incredibly annoying ring my snare drum has when i dont have the rings on em. The drum just sounds awful without it, but magically when it is on, it sounds amazing.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM

i dont think anybody saw my post, and its hard to miss with three big pictures in it

if you love the concept of moongels, but just dont like that its not clear, just do what i did and make your own. Its VERY cheap, and easy. Go back tot he first page and read my post.

i personaly like the moongels being blue, because 1.) i like the color blue, and 2.) my drums have the same shade of blue, so it matches, and looks good with it.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post
Ouch. Sounds like someone is a little grumpy.

SRJ
You must be one of the young ones on this board.....typical smartass...
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 PM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post
You're right; some people like it. I was looking to have an objective opinion-based answer. Obviously, I don't have the answer. Nor am I being objective. I am on this forum to learn and make acquaintances. I meant no offense.

I have another Q: If the dampening is primarily for overtones, why not change style / manufacturer of heads? I've used everything from Remo Ambassadors, Evans G1/G2, and more recently (and for good) Aquarian Super-2, Studio-X, and Classic clears. I've not had to use anything to reduce overtones, On either my super-thick Sonor Beech shells or thin Mapex Saturns. Is it the drums used? One's taste in sound? FWIW, my Sonors have a big fat "round" bearing edge, while my Saturns have a very thin "sharp" bearing edge.

I think more often than not, dampening is used for the wrong reasons, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the response.

SRJ
I have already answered this....read bro....
Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You must be one of the young ones on this board.....typical smarta**...
Yes, they tend to do that, Im pretty young myself! ; )

I like what the "Cool-Aid" guy said Im going to try that, seems like a good idea.

Peace
AGR
Old 01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Yes, they tend to do that, Im pretty young myself! ; )

I like what the "Cool-Aid" guy said Im going to try that, seems like a good idea.

Peace
AGR
I agree, I am looking at Wal-Mart tomm. for some targets.....either that or we can hit him up for some extra's...

I will find some white ones somewhere....
Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
For me its not actual dampening, its this incredibly annoying ring my snare drum has when i dont have the rings on em. The drum just sounds awful without it, but magically when it is on, it sounds amazing.
And the toms, with hydraulics AND dampening rings?

Larlev, that post wasn't aimed at you. Apologies for any offence. There's use of moongel and there's serious misuse.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 PM
larlev

Quote:

Larlev, that post wasn't aimed at you. Apologies for any offence. There's use of moongel and there's serious misuse.
No worries...Sorry for including you in my response.....
Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

nah the toms have always sounded ok, but the snare itself is just weird, it came like that so ive had to have the rings since the begining.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:51 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
nah the toms have always sounded ok, but the snare itself is just weird, it came like that so ive had to have the rings since the begining.
Is it the stock snare for your kit? It should be able to sound pretty decent on it's on. Personally I'd rather experiment with different heads and tuning first and then if I absolutely had to, use an absolute minimal amount of muffling, like half a square of moongel. My Yamaha Musashi I used to use moongel on even with different snare heads. Now I've learned how to tune it so I don't have to.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Is it the stock snare for your kit? It should be able to sound pretty decent on it's on. Personally I'd rather experiment with different heads and tuning first and then if I absolutely had to, use an absolute minimal amount of muffling, like half a square of moongel. My Yamaha Musashi I used to use moongel on even with different snare heads. Now I've learned how to tune it so I don't have to.
nah, its a remo coated emperor x (has one of those power dots in the mid). Its the same ring as with the stock head. No matter how much i tighten or losen the head, or tighen or losen the snares, the ring is always there, unless i use a dampener. With the dampener, it has a real Bonham snare sound (or atleast the kind from d'yer maker). Like it souds really close to it.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
I agree, I am looking at Wal-Mart tomm. for some targets.....either that or we can hit him up for some extra's...

I will find some white ones somewhere....
walmart probly has it

the target i got is pictured in that link. I dont know if youl be able to find that one individualy, since it came with my airsoft gun (which i sold, but kept the target). I have seen seperate targets go for $7 however. i think its a really good deal, because instead of getting 4 blue ones (which you dont like, because they are blue) for $7. You can get 20+ clear ones for $7. Plus, the cool thing about moongels is you can cut them to any size. Having a huge moongel to cut to any size, you can make some bigger than the R-TOM moongels, and smaller, etc.

The reason i say 20+ is because if you cut them to the same size as R-tom moongels, you will have 20. If you cut them to the same size, and REALLY take your time, you can have 24. If your like me, and was just doing it without taking time, i had 20, and the rest over i just made into long moongel strips and stuff. Still did their job.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Hahaha, i thought the same, but i didn't wanna say anything.

Learn to tune. alot better sound its free and as pretty as could be.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
Hahaha, i thought the same, but i didn't wanna say anything.

Learn to tune. alot better sound its free and as pretty as could be.

Watch it, people are kind of sensitive about their moongel ; )

No name calling Larlev.

I'm 40, btw.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 PM
larlev

Sometimes it's just pointless......I'll say it again, you do not use dampening just for bad tuned drums..there are many other reasons that it is on the market.

But, let me ask you guys that have the mindset that using dampening is a result of poor tuning...

How many of you have a pillow, or towel in your kicks????

If tuned right....you shouldn't need it...correct

Last edited by larlev; 01-25-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 PM
larlev

And one more thing.....

I guess all the people on this forum who use EC2's, studio-x's, pins....can't tune either, because frankly, me using 1/2 piece of MG on my clear G2's is no different than using these mentioned heads...the difference being that I can take the MG off, if and when I don't need it.

Thank god for Evans, and Aquarian for putting out a head for us that can't tune.....
Old 01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
And one more thing.....

I guess all the people on this forum who use EC2's, studio-x's, pins....can't tune either, because frankly, me using 1/2 piece of MG on my clear G2's is no different than using these mentioned heads...the difference being that I can take the MG off, if and when I don't need it.

Thank god for Evans, and Aquarian for putting out a head for us that can't tune.....
It's not about being able to tune or not. Those pre-muffled heads have certain qualities that you can't get out of other heads even with perfect tuning. Yes some people use them because they might be easier to tune, but it still doesn't change the fact that a clear Evans G2 perfectly tuned is going to have a slightly different sound than a clear EC2. To me the EC2 has a rounder tone and the G2 has a slightly more open tone with alittle more attack.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:28 AM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
It's not about being able to tune or not. Those pre-muffled heads have certain qualities that you can't get out of other heads even with perfect tuning. Yes some people use them because they might be easier to tune, but it still doesn't change the fact that a clear Evans G2 perfectly tuned is going to have a slightly different sound than a clear EC2. To me the EC2 has a rounder tone and the G2 has a slightly more open tone with alittle more attack.
Fourstring I was referring to the above 2 people that think dampening whether....hand applied or factory is a result of poor tuning ability....I am fully aware what the characteristics of a given head are....

.....I use dampening to cut down on the open sound of the g2's when I am playing in the house...and take it off when I play live....

Hell... I use 1/2 a studio ring on my Chad Smith in the house.....why.....I don't need that ear splitting volume in my 10x12 home studio....
Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
And one more thing.....

I have to agree with this. I don't know why when someones uses or talks about using muffling or using a head with muffling built in others assume "we" don't know how to tune. I use Aquarian Performance 2's on my toms and yes, they are dead. I use them because i like that sound, not because I can't tune..
Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Perhaps they wouldn't be MOON gels if they weren't spiffy looking. They would just be Gel Tabs...or Sticky Stickums....

Why can't they just make drums with the little adjustable dampening things like they used to. Just turn the knob and up comes the little pad...I've noticed many snares don't even have these anymore. There was a time when toms, basses, and snares had little adjustable dampeners.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 PM

Whoever was talking about a ringy snare, i had the same problem, just the right sound with rings, too much ring without rings... (omg so many rings :P)

And then the wonderful people at evans drumheads invented the evans genera snare head! you dont have to use the HD or Dry or anything, just a simple 1ply head with a muffle ring just like they ones you put on externally. I love it!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Perhaps they wouldn't be MOON gels if they weren't spiffy looking. They would just be Gel Tabs...or Sticky Stickums....

Why can't they just make drums with the little adjustable dampening things like they used to. Just turn the knob and up comes the little pad...I've noticed many snares don't even have these anymore. There was a time when toms, basses, and snares had little adjustable dampeners.
I assume you are talking about the internal mufflers which used to come standard on the Ludwig drums? These used to push up on the head and when not in use, would rattle all of the time. They would rattle when in use as well. If you really ant this type of muffler, there are aftermarket external mufflers which are in the same principle and do not have the problems of the internal mufflers.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

maybe its a marketing thing, why the moongel is blue only.

scenario:

drummer2: hey dude, your drums sound great! theyre perfectly dampened! what's that little blue dampening thing you use?

drummer1: oh its a moongel, you should try it.

drummer2: okay, i'll try some of that wonderful little blue dampening thing called moongel

in the store:

drummer2: hey salesdude, i want some of those little blue dapmening things for drums called moongel

salesdude: oh, moongel, those wonderful little blue dampening things used for drums? we have that here thank you for your purchase...

or it could go like this:

in a drum clinic:

drummer1: hey dude look at that display, its showing the top view of the drumset of that famous drummer doing this clinic! his drums sound nice! it must be those little blue dampening things..

drummer2: oh, those little blue dampening things? i think theyre called moongels..

drummer1: oh, i want some of those little blue dampening things called moongels!

in the store:

drummer2: hey salesdude, i want some of those little blue dapmening things for drums called moongel

salesdude: oh, moongel, those wonderful little blue dampening things used for drums? we have that here thank you for your purchase...
Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

It's all about the percussive use of smurf essence.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 AM

basicly, what the other guy was trying to say is, a lot of people who dont have moongels, or dont know what they are called, are refered to as those blue gel things, so you can go to a store and say "hey, do you guys sell those blue gel muffler things?" and the guy pulled out a pack of moongels, and asked me "is this what your talking about?" and i said yeah!, moongels.

i guess that COULD be why, but nobody knows.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SketcHyRollin564 View Post

i guess that COULD be why, but nobody knows.

Somebody knows... The wvil ones (Rtom) would know this!

P.S.
I feel like I have to go to bed now. Maybe I have gone too far...God night