DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Your very first drum set thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
haha i dig man, ive always wanted a pearl or high end kit but then i realized that my tama stagestar isnt all that bad.. my first set a rockwood honer was by far THE WORST set ive ever played on
Well sets have come a long way these days. The Sunlite kit was $400 I think. For an extra $100 you can now get a Yamaha YD, a Sonor Force 507 or other equivalent kit that stomps the Sunlite in terms of quality. The Ludwig Rocker, with hardware (5 piece, hi-hat stand, snare stand, bass pedal, and one stand I believe) was $800. It wasn't a terrible kit, but when you take a shell pack like a Gretsch Catalina for $600 and add the same amount of hardware for about $200, it's a much better kit.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well sets have come a long way these days. The Sunlite kit was $400 I think. For an extra $100 you can now get a Yamaha YD, a Sonor Force 507 or other equivalent kit that stomps the Sunlite in terms of quality. The Ludwig Rocker, with hardware (5 piece, hi-hat stand, snare stand, bass pedal, and one stand I believe) was $800. It wasn't a terrible kit, but when you take a shell pack like a Gretsch Catalina for $600 and add the same amount of hardware for about $200, it's a much better kit.
im not putting down ludwig. i ive never heard them other than bonhams.. i think mostly ive heard tamas and pearls.. haha but kits have come along way... i just think its funny how companys can make kits so horribly and yet sell them and people buy them
Old 07-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

man, where's that girl live?? :P..mine was a Ludwig 5 piece..i dont have a picture of mine, but here is the stock photo.http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p31752b.jpg. the sizes were 22" by 16" bass. 16" by 16" floor tom. 11" by 13" mounted tom. 10" by 12". and it came with a 14" by 6.5" snare...but i bought a used Sig. Chad Smith. so, i had a good snare for a beginner...and i had the same B8's i have now...ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
I found a picture (kinda). It is a two (?) year old picture of my old band playing live.

CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-30-2007, 03:27 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
im not putting down ludwig. i ive never heard them other than bonhams.. i think mostly ive heard tamas and pearls.. haha but kits have come along way... i just think its funny how companys can make kits so horribly and yet sell them and people buy them
Well when you're a beginner, and especially if you're the parent of a beginner and you don't play yourself, you don't know any better. My parents were more concerned about whether or not I was going to be able to play, let alone keep up the interest. If they had known that 14 years later I'd still be at it, they probably would have sprung for a better set. I got the Ludwig two years after the Sunlite so if they had done that it would have saved them money *lol* I played the Ludwig for about 3 or 4 years until I got a job and could afford to buy myself a new set. I then got a Tama Rockstar Custom and some Sabian AAX's.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well when you're a beginner, and especially if you're the parent of a beginner and you don't play yourself, you don't know any better. My parents were more concerned about whether or not I was going to be able to play, let alone keep up the interest. If they had known that 14 years later I'd still be at it, they probably would have sprung for a better set. I got the Ludwig two years after the Sunlite so if they had done that it would have saved them money *lol* I played the Ludwig for about 3 or 4 years until I got a job and could afford to buy myself a new set. I then got a Tama Rockstar Custom and some Sabian AAX's.
true.. i you have a point.. my friend still has his starter kit and it sounds horrible for his drumming but i mean money doesnt grow on trees.. i had to save for a year to upgrade to my stagestar
Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
..mine was a Ludwig 5 piece..i dont have a picture of mine, but here is the stock photo.http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p31752b.jpg. the sizes were 22" by 16" bass. 16" by 16" floor tom. 11" by 13" mounted tom. 10" by 12". and it came with a 14" by 6.5" snare...
That would be my first kit and the kit I still have now, a Ludwig Accent Drum series. Specs as quoted (16x22, 16x16, 11x13, 10x12, 6.5x14). Sometimes I see guys with 6 piece DWs or SQ2s and I feel a little green but these tubs have served me well. Besides someday I'll save up and buy a DW. Someday...

And here are the pics, none of when I first got them, unfortunately.

(I don't use the stock snare, I use a Tama steel Soprano Snare)

Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
man, where's that girl live?
Haha, in Norway! Twenty
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post

I see those marching sticks in your stick bag. Although, who hasn't tried it at least once when they were starting out?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

shoot.....haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
Haha, in Norway! Twenty
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

man you got some nice cymbals for a starter!

Quote:
That would be my first kit and the kit I still have now, a Ludwig Accent Drum series. Specs as quoted (16x22, 16x16, 11x13, 10x12, 6.5x14). Sometimes I see guys with 6 piece DWs or SQ2s and I feel a little green but these tubs have served me well. Besides someday I'll save up and buy a DW. Someday...

And here are the pics, none of when I first got them, unfortunately.

(I don't use the stock snare, I use a Tama steel Soprano Snare)

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM

I have pics of my kit somewhere. I'll have to look.

It was a CP (cosmic percussion) made by LP (latin percussion). Standard rock sizes. It was black so I HAD to have all black heads. So I got the remo black heads and a black aquarian coated head. Bass drum head was a pinstripe with a pillow inside and the remo flame head on the reso. Cmbals were a b8 rock pack and a wuhan china.

I found a tape recording I made of myself and it was horrible. It was from the first day I had my kit. It made me laugh so hard. Crazy to think of how bad I was at first. I guess practice really does pay off. That was 11 years ago though. Time flies.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

keep them coming! 20202020

Myspace-Add me!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drovja View Post
I see those marching sticks in your stick bag. Although, who hasn't tried it at least once when they were starting out?
Well, actually, I don't ever use them on the drumset, I just keep them there. And I don't mean to come off mean or anything but I'm not really a starter, this is just my first kit. I've been playing for 2 years, 3 years before that without a drumset.

Quote:
man you got some nice cymbals for a starter!
Well, I've collected them over two years... First the B8s, then the ride, and eventually everything else. The 18" AAXplosion is the latest addition.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 AM

This is my first kit i bought myself- I goofed around on my aunt's kit for a couple years before that.
Tama Swingstar 10x12,11x13, 16x16 toms; 16x22 kick; 5.5x14 snare. zildjian cymbals (remember the ZBTs haha), including some zils my dad got when he was in the navy in like 68- they were all 14" hats that i used as crashes. yeah i broke em all, but i'll hook him up when day, if i'm lucky enough to get an endorsement deal or somethin :D
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

You broke the 60's Zildjians?

You're a bad man... a bad, bad man...
Old 08-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

oh yea...sorry didnt know you had been playin for couple years...but yea..that is probably what i will do, is just add on 1 at a time.

Quote:
Well, I've collected them over two years... First the B8s, then the ride, and eventually everything else. The 18" AAXplosion is the latest addition.
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
You broke the 60's Zildjians?

You're a bad man... a bad, bad man...
yes i know this... i didn't find a respect for them until it was too late... and I gonna take this to my grave so lay off hehehe.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

...by the time I got into this internet thing, I had already owned two drumkits that I considered as "mine".

I have pics of them in their various evolutionary states, but it would take an archeological expedition to dig those photos out of their hiding places. This I promise to do one day, as the kits also my show my evolution as a drum/hardware repair man/tinkerer.

Here is a link to a webshots page that has some of the kits that I bought, scavenged, fixed up, built, and eventually sold or traded for some of what I now have.

It scares me to think of how much stuff I have gone through over my relativly short stretch as a drummer. It scares me even more to know that I can account for where most of this stuff came from, and where it ended up.

As a drummer, I am the first to admit that I am no screaming hell. As I have said before though, playing is only a part of the enjoyment that I get from drums. I love the hunt. I love finding some piece of somebody elses junk, and seeing the potential in it. I love the challenge of solving drum problems. For all of my posts, I do not think that I have ever posted any of my playing, or tips on techniques. I leave that for the real drummers. Gear is all I really know anything about, and even at that, my knowledge is limited.

Thank you for allowing me this indulgence.

barry
Old 08-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Thats the only picture i have.

its was a no name bass drum with no reso head,
a set of 6-8-10 rototoms,
an out of round damaged bearing edge pearl metal snare that did not have lugs, it had jammed screws in it to hold the head,
a tama king beat bass pedal,
13" Orion twister hihats,
16" Sabian b8 crash, that i used as a crash and a ride
and new york percussion stands.

I had this kit for 5 years before getting the kit I have now.
Oh and it took about a year before i receive the bass drum for my birthday. I had a cardboard box with a piece of wood taped to it to attach the pedal :)

I still was really happy with it
Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 PM

Roger WMP from Dayton: purchased early '73 from Roy Harte's Drum City, Hollywood, CA

5 x 14 maple Dynasonic snare
8 x 12 tt
9 x 13 tt
16 x 16 ft
14 x 20 bass

all Rogers Swivomatic hardware and Avedis Zildjian cymbals.

22" ride
18" crash
16" crash
12" splash
14" rock hihats
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Don't have any pics of my first kit, an off-brand cheapo kit called Lotus. The poplar shells were so thin i couldn't tell if there was a discernable bearing edge!! It had some cheesey silver pvp wrap that warped and bubbled after 2 years and the mounts were off an omniball with pot metal arms literally the size of pencils. At the time i was 8 years old though and i didn't care. We were always broke growing up and this is the only present my parents ever bought for me in my entire life that was more than a hundred bucks but that kit profoundly changed my life.

Here's a pic of the first kit that i got for myself: a 1967 Ludwig Classic, silver sparkle (minus the smaller floor tom which i added this year):

I bought this kit in the summer of '87, a frshman in High School, working all summer long cooking chicken wings in a sweaty mom and pop buffalo wing joint making $3.35 an hour. I accomplished my summer goal to buy a drumkit and first car, (coincidentally a 1967) Mercury cougar pony car with a 289 v8.
I've had a few kits come and go, but this one will be with me til the end.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:18 PM

This was my first set:

A Pulse Percussion 5 piece.

20" Bassdrum
10 and 12" toms
14" floortom
13" snare

14" Magic Brass hats
18" Magic Brass crash

Pulse hardware
Tama pedal.

At this moment I am using my Gretsch Catalina Maple combined with my old set as a double bass, 7 toms drumkit, I will take and post pics this week.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 PM

My first kit was a Gretch kit with duct tape on the heads, and sabian b8's !! Haha this picture was about 6 years ago. I wish I still had these, with the knowlege I have now...
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

My first kit is my only kit atm and i'm sure you've already seen it (it's in my sig if you haven't, not that horrible orange colour anymore :p)

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

My first kit was a Boston Kit, with 'Dolfin' cymbals. I was so proud of that thing: "Yeah man, I play Boston and Dolfin." (almost as if I was endorsed).

I cringe to think how bad it must have sounded. I kept the same heads for about 4 years, which the previous owner had already worn to shreds. They were covered in gaffer and tissues.

The plasticy wrap all bubbled up in the sunshine too. I'll see if I can find pics.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

My Peavey Intl 2 kit I got 5 years ago (well, my dad did).
It came equipped with remo heads and some cheapo cymbals. The hi-hats sounded pretty trashy and I threw the ride away as it went inside out but yeah, pretty good at a trashy and loud sound anyways, still use it. What a difference Mapex and Zildjians made though.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopethx View Post

cheers :)
Gavin Harrison fan? :)
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 AM
Gold Member

My first drum kit, well, the first kit I played was a compilation of drums from my high school band room. In 1961 (?) my high school band director wanted to start a stage band and we didn't have a drum set. We got an old marching BD, a concert snare and a field drum that we made into a tom tom. We used the band's crash cymbal for a ride and he had a high hat pedal and cymbals and a BD pedal. It wasn't much but it was a start.

My personal first drum set was a 5 pc (I think) set of Lyra drums(Japanese), white marine pearl, that my mother bought in about 1962. I kept this set for many years even after I bought my Zickos. I once played in a band that had two drummers and the other guy had a set identical to mine. My drums were double cased (soft and hard) and the other guy had no cases. He used to back his van up to the stage door where we played and THROW the drums in. When we broke up my set was in pristine condition and his were match sticks. I finally sold this set to my old high school (who needs two kits, anyway) where they lasted about a year before they were garbage. My sister said she actually came up with a picture of my first band and is sending it to me. I'll post it when I get it.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Wow. This thread went from 2008 to today!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

yeah, old post finds new post whore.

My first Silvertones, circa 1970?

Morphed into killer rock machine. Check out the old ludwig 6 1/2 maple snare.
painted silver, held up with bailing twine.

That was my first experience with drum re building

Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a picture of my first kit but it was a bizarre Frankenstein ... these are the specs:
  • 14 x 5 Drouyn vintage wood snare (I still use this)
  • 20" Aria brown sparkle kick
  • 12" Aria brown sparkle mounted tom
  • 14" homemade (not by me) weird deep floor tom that was more warped than any drum I've ever seen before or since. It had blue oyster wrap and sounded terrible lol
  • Hats and ride (forgot specs)
  • Strange bent cymbal (about 17") that had turned pale green and had sizzles (ten years later I resurrected it, took out the sizzles, turned it upsidedown and clamped it tight - it sounded like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIR9RwAF_Q#t=60s ... you'll know it when you hear it :)
$100 in 1975. If I'd had one of the kits pictured here I would have been in heaven!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Rebel

My first drum-kit and still...and - many thanks - to several members here, who helped and encouraged me to keep it while I was in a bind...long time ago!

Peavey - five hundred series drums.

1 Bass Drum: 22" x 14"
1 Snare Drum: 14" x 6.5"
1 Rack Tom: 13" x 11"
1 Floor Tom: 16" x 16"

Heads: Evans G1 clear and G1 coated.

1 Hi-Hat: 14"
1 Crash/Ride: 18" Zildjian Planet Z.
1 Ride: 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride.

Last edited by Ian Williams; 05-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 PM

There's mine, got it a year ago. Sounds great.
I've also got a Ludwig 76' 6.5x14 Supra on the set. Plus, a Ludwig Black Magic and a 10x7.5 Tom on the floor! :)
Let's hear it for Yamaha Stage Custom Advantages!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
My first kit is my only kit atm and i'm sure you've already seen it (it's in my sig if you haven't, not that horrible orange colour anymore :p)
It's not that horrible sound dampening camo fabric any more lol.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 AM

Rockin CB700s and feathered hair. In retrospect, I should have added the coca cola garbage can to the kit. It would have matched perfectly.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Here's the best pic I have of the old beater kit;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PDP EZ shell pack I bought at GC for $199 on clearance
Had an old set of New Beat Hats (top hat was cracked), a B8 16" Medium Crash,
18" Zildjian Avedis Medium Crash, and a 20" ZBT Ride.

The only thing I miss is that 18" Zildjian crash.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 PM

My first kit was an early-model Pearl rhythm traveler, before they started coming with black hardware. Small, decent-sounding, and quiet with the mesh heads that came with it. At first I cranked every single drum as tight as it would go, thinking that that was correct tuning. I converted it into a one up, two down kit and later an offset rack tom kit, and added an iron cobra and zbts (bad but much better than the stock cymbals.) I still use the bass for jazz since my stage custom bass is too big (24 inches)
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Majestic Semi-Pro! Circa 1966 maybe.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 05:32 PM

My first kit was a Groove Percussion 5-piece from Sam Ash, about $300 7-8 years ago.. I cant really find any pictures of it sadly..

I actually still have the kit more as a practice/experimentation kit at my home.. I have chopped up the toms to make them shallower, thrown out one of the toms, propped it, left it in the rain (both accidental I assure you).. These babies have been through a lot, and they hold a special place in my heart. <3

But at the end of the day I still use the bass drum and Floor tom for home and practice settings and with quality drum heads, they sound just fine..

Here is the latest incarnation i could find of it with ZXT cymbals PDP platinum tom and PDP SX Snare.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

CB-700...8-piece kit. 13/14/16/18 toms, 14/16 concert toms, 24 bass drum, and a steel shell snare.

Cymbals were whatever, but included 14" New Beats and a 22" A Zildjian ride...crashes were something that was more like a hubcap than cymbal.

Note the cymbal stand that's made from wood dowel, it was AWESOME!!! Hi-hat stand was 'repaired' with wood legs...you know what though, it worked!
Attached Images