DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Default My Practice & Recording Rig w/ a couple new things

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a while... been playing out a little and woodshedding like a fiend. Also I have been recording myself more and more. It totally improves my playing but it is sometimes very humbling to listen back to what I thought was clean and hear the slop that would be unnoticeable in a live environment.

In any case here is my current practice and recording set-up with my new 13" K hats. Aaah yes... luv 'em.

Specs are:

PDP Maples
22" Kick, 12" & 16" Toms
Pork Pie 14 x 6½ Brass Snare
Pacific 10 x 6 Maple Snare

13" K Hat Top w/ 13" Quick Beat Bottom
22" K Custom High Definition Ride
18" K Custom Fast Crash
18" K Custom Session Crash
12" A Splash inverted on X-Hat with 10" K Splash on top

All Hardware is DW9000 Series.
Percussion items are LP

Here are some photos:

Any comments or questions, let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by TTNW; 01-19-2007 at 03:57 AM. Reason: adding photo
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Practice & Recording Rig w/ a couple new things

What a beaut! Nice 4 piece and cymbal set up, real classy. Must be a blast to play.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Nice. I see you were on you-tube there. Intresting, placing the mic under the ride. I have never seen that before.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM

thats one of the most beautiful drum sets i've seen on here.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Jusstickinaround

How does that PP snare sound recorded? I just bought one, havne't had much of a chance to use it. Nice kit.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Dude! I have the skit as you, just mine's a 7 pc kit. PDP CX Series Blue Onyx. Beautiful drums man! Keep playing them!

Joe
Old 01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks for replies.

The mic under the ride really helps. It is an inexpensive pencil condensor but it does the trick. It allows all of your tip sticking when riding to be heard well in amplified music and makes it much more upfront in the mix rather on relying on the overheads to capture all of the ride sound.

The Pork Pie snare was a lucky find for me. I put die-cast hoops on it and it has become one of my favorite snares. A lot like a Black Beauty, records really well and if I need it cut a little more (when guitar players get too loud) I can torque it down and it's felt and heard. Much better as a fatback snare and when mic'd but you get the picture.

I think you can get one for about $200 to $250 now, and they're really worth it because all brands and finishes aside it sounds like what you hear on so many recordings... so it has that familiar yet unique sound. a joy to play!

I have the 7 piece version of this kit which you can see by clicking my signature on this post. I change it up a lot but they're something so right about just grooving on a 4 piece.

PDP's are truly great sounding drums.

By the way, I found the same wrap as my PDP CX at Jammin Sam - called Vintage Sky Blue Pearl and have ordered lugs and floor tom mounts from DW/PDP. I'm almost finished building an 18 x16 floor tom for the kit since DW does not offer one. The wrap is identical to the 60's 70's wrap that Ludwig called Vintage Sky Blue Pearl, Gretsch called Midnight Blue Pearl and Slingerland carried as well.

Sam at Jammin' Sam was very cool about schooling me on this PDP wrap that DW brought back from the dead. I don't really need the 18" tom, I think it will just be a cool project and make this kit complete.

Thanks again,

P
Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

YES ANOTHER PDP OWNER.
Someone else to agree that pdp are truly awesome sounding.
What heads do you have on the toms. On my PDP (check the sig) I have emperors and im always looking to try something else for a change.
Sweet sweet cymbals, gotta love the great K sound.

hmm still trying to figure out whats on your bass drum lol looks like an easter egg.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
Thanks for replies.

The mic under the ride really helps. It is an inexpensive pencil condensor but it does the trick. It allows all of your tip sticking when riding to be heard well in amplified music and makes it much more upfront in the mix rather on relying on the overheads to capture all of the ride sound.

The Pork Pie snare was a lucky find for me. I put die-cast hoops on it and it has become one of my favorite snares. A lot like a Black Beauty, records really well and if I need it cut a little more (when guitar players get too loud) I can torque it down and it's felt and heard. Much better as a fatback snare and when mic'd but you get the picture.

I think you can get one for about $200 to $250 now, and they're really worth it because all brands and finishes aside it sounds like what you hear on so many recordings... so it has that familiar yet unique sound. a joy to play!

I have the 7 piece version of this kit which you can see by clicking my signature on this post. I change it up a lot but they're something so right about just grooving on a 4 piece.

PDP's are truly great sounding drums.

By the way, I found the same wrap as my PDP CX at Jammin Sam - called Vintage Sky Blue Pearl and have ordered lugs and floor tom mounts from DW/PDP. I'm almost finished building an 18 x16 floor tom for the kit since DW does not offer one. The wrap is identical to the 60's 70's wrap that Ludwig called Vintage Sky Blue Pearl, Gretsch called Midnight Blue Pearl and Slingerland carried as well.

Sam at Jammin' Sam was very cool about schooling me on this PDP wrap that DW brought back from the dead. I don't really need the 18" tom, I think it will just be a cool project and make this kit complete.

Thanks again,

P
I've just ordered the 8x7" Tom, can't wait until I get it, ( well, ordered it about 1st of December. ) I think it's a shame that they have stopped manufacturing the Blue Onyx colour. If you can tell me a bit more about the identical colours it would mean alot, because I love this colour/wrap and probably want to build my own 18" Tom later on.

How's that project coming along?

You can check my sig. for my kit if you want ;)

Joe
Old 01-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Pioneer Member

If you go to jamminsam.com you will find the Blue Onyx Wrap that is identical to yours on your PDP under the Pearls category and it is called Vintage Sky Blue Pearl. The one above it on the same page that is lighter is not it.

If you read there you will find that DW had this wrap made again, perhaps by Delmar, and jammin sam bought some because it is a vintage wrap that is identical to the wrap on the 60's & 70's Ludwig, Gretsch and Slingerland kits with this wrap.

I found out that DW will sell me the PDP lugs (they are only adamant about not selling their DW lugs) and I'll rewrap a used shell or eventually break down and get a Keller shell.

It is easy to do. Go to the link in my sig and you can see how I unwrapped my matching snare and made it look sort of custom.

Let me know what you think.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Pioneer Member

By the way Trommur,

Your kit is very nice.. I would like to see the finish better. You cymball selection is great. I should get more Chinas.

If you really want to do a floor tom, it is pretty cheap and easy to do. I'll help you out.