DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Default What Resonant head for Evans hydraulic batter?

What Resonant head for Evans hydraulic batter? I know that the evans hydros cut down tone but I wanted to try them for a lower sound. Wow was I suprised much sustain I lost however I have remo ambassador resos right now. If I get a hydro reso will this combo give me better results? Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: What Resonant head for Evans hydraulic batter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross-- View Post
What Resonant head for Evans hydraulic batter? I know that the evans hydros cut down tone but I wanted to try them for a lower sound. Wow was I suprised much sustain I lost however I have remo ambassador resos right now. If I get a hydro reso will this combo give me better results? Thanks
No, don't get a hydraulic for a resonant too. Ambassadors or G1's are fine.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
drumzac

I would personally recommend either Remo Diplomats or Evans Resonant Glass.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. What about stretching them out. Is this necessary for evans?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

In fact thinner head wont increase the resonance but produces a sensitive, bright response.

From Evans web site...
Resonant Glass
When used with either a single or double-ply batter, the thin 7mil Resonants shorten the sustain and brighten the tone for enhanced projection during live performances.

Three choice in my mind for this case

Aquarian Classic Clear
Remo Ambassador (clear)
Evans Genera Resonant

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 AM
drumzac

That's according to Evans and their finding. I and SO many other people have found the opposite, including Anton Fig. I find the sustain goes much longer with Remo Diplomats or Resonant Glass heads but yes it is slightly brighter. I find no difference in the attack, but they definitely project the sound through the mix much better. I've used Diplomats under Ambassadors, Emperors and Pinstripes with the same results. It's a much more full sound to me.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM

And stretching evans heads...?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross-- View Post
And stretching evans heads...?

Yeah they need to be seated and cracked... ie. stretched.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-18-2007, 01:02 AM

Sweet thanks for the reply!!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM

I realize this is an ancient thread but perhaps someone will actually read it and gain something from it. I've experimented quite a bit with hydraulics and found that many of the "conventional" schools of thought regarding thicker or "tone controlled" resonant heads when used with heavy batters are not always correct.
Steve Gadd and many others did similar experiments and found some of the same things I did... I mean it wasn't long ago that we all thought a thick, tone controlled resonant head would totally choke a drum, and now Evans 10mil EC reso heads are proving that wrong as well. I've also noticed a large number of drummers have discovered the magic of using G2's or Emperors on both ends of their floor toms ( I am one of those).
Running into this thread reminded me of some of the fun I used to have with hydraulics so I dug through my junk and came up with a ten year old 12" hydraulic... mounted it up on my Gretsch Renown tom with a G1 on reso... and then with a G2... Surprise! I got a VERY noticeable increase in both sustain and tone ( although much deeper) with the G2 underneath. And the harder I hit it, the better it sounds. I tuned both heads to the first clear highly resonant note.
I've been using G2's over G1's (or Emperors over Ambassadors) for so long I had forgotten what a trip these heads were... I got so excited about it I immediately ordered a set of Hydraulics for my Gretsch kit. I'll post an update as soon as everything is mounted up and tuned.
Keep in mind... we're talking about highly resonant maple shells here, so I can't speak for mahogany, ash, basswood, etc.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson831 View Post
I realize this is an ancient thread but perhaps someone will actually read it and gain something from it. I've experimented quite a bit with hydraulics and found that many of the "conventional" schools of thought regarding thicker or "tone controlled" resonant heads when used with heavy batters are not always correct.
Steve Gadd and many others did similar experiments and found some of the same things I did... I mean it wasn't long ago that we all thought a thick, tone controlled resonant head would totally choke a drum, and now Evans 10mil EC reso heads are proving that wrong as well. I've also noticed a large number of drummers have discovered the magic of using G2's or Emperors on both ends of their floor toms ( I am one of those).
Running into this thread reminded me of some of the fun I used to have with hydraulics so I dug through my junk and came up with a ten year old 12" hydraulic... mounted it up on my Gretsch Renown tom with a G1 on reso... and then with a G2... Surprise! I got a VERY noticeable increase in both sustain and tone ( although much deeper) with the G2 underneath. And the harder I hit it, the better it sounds. I tuned both heads to the first clear highly resonant note.
I've been using G2's over G1's (or Emperors over Ambassadors) for so long I had forgotten what a trip these heads were... I got so excited about it I immediately ordered a set of Hydraulics for my Gretsch kit. I'll post an update as soon as everything is mounted up and tuned.
Keep in mind... we're talking about highly resonant maple shells here, so I can't speak for mahogany, ash, basswood, etc.
I'm using Gretsch Renown as well and for 16x16 Floor Tom tried a G2 as resonant with GPlus Batter...still a bit much sustain but I've put an E-Ring on and, in my opinion, perfecto...This Renown Kit, I still am amazed at the beautiful sound out of this Kit for the price I paid...Tough to beat it...