DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Default My New Blue Sparkle Pies!!

I am new here , but I have been reading the forum for a long time. I just got my new Pork Pie kit delivered yesterday and thought I would post some pics. I havnt seen many people with Pork Pies.

Pork Pie Drums
Main Setup
6x12 Octoban
6x14 Octoban
8x7 Tom
10x8 Tom
12x9 Tom
14x12 Tom on floor
16x14 Tom on floor
18x16 Gong drum w/ 20 head
20x20 Kick x2
14x5 Tama Stewart Copeland signature snare ( chrome over brass )

Zildjian Cymbals
8in A splash ( not shown )
10in A splash ( not shown )
13in K hi hats
14in K Mastersound hi hats
14in K Custom Fast Crash
16in K Dark Thin Crash
16in K Dark Crash
18in K Crash/Ride
19in A Armand Sizzle Ride
20in K Custom ride
40in Gong ( on the way - not pictured )

Alternate set up
12x9 Tom
14x12 Tom
16x14 Tom
28x20 Kick
Old 01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: My New Blue Sparkle Pies!!

That sounds like it is a really cool set, w/ an insane cymbal selection. But do you think you could upload some pics?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Ah there are the pics i wanted. That is truly a killer set man. Its absolutley huge.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

I'm a huge Pork Pie fan and that thing is beautiful. That 28" Kick is a monster!

How's the copeland snare? I almost bought one a few months back, but didnt go for it, on account of me thinking it may be a bit of a gimmick..

Seriously though, those drums are amazing.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 PM

im loving that kit. i would have more fun on your alternate set up with that monster you call a kick drum. that kid looks like they are about to be swallowed by it. nice kit man. lovin it all.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM

wow, i love your kit. Nice designs by the way, did you create them?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:23 PM

Topcat:

Im loving the copeland snare. It has a great crack to it! I recently recorded with it and was pleased with the results. I dont think you would be disappointed with one and it was resonably priced.

That 28 kick is just so fun to play!! It makes me smile everytime I play it. When I have played out with my other Tama kit , I see pics of us and think man I look huge and the bass drum looks so small ( 22 ). Now I look smaller when I play with the 28 lol!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 PM

I came up with my basic setup years ago. It works for me and everything is easy for me to reach. Its set up where I dont have to turn to far left or right. I did ask Bill to make the gong drum and the octobans for me and he was kind enough to help me out.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:12 PM

Wow, that's huge. The Color is awesome too.

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 01-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Jusstickinaround

One question, where do you guys play with kits that big? If you're in a touring act playing large venues I can understand that, but if you're playing local clubs that's a different story. Maybe you don't gig, then what's the point of having such an expensive kit, to me having a nice kit and not playing in a band is like having a nice car and letting it sit in the driveway. Only my opinion.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:11 PM

Loving the 28" kick, i prefer the smaller kit, well less drums anyway. The finish is great.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

That is one beautiful kit man!! I too would like to get a Stewart Copeland snare. I am glad to hear you like it so much. I think I will have to get that bad boy. Great set my friend!!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:56 PM

We do gig and I use the smaller set for that at the moment. We just finished a CD and will be looking to start touring bigger places and then I might bring out the larger kit. I enjoy playing progressive stuff , but the band I am in at the moment is not a progressive band so there is not a real need for a huge kit. However just because the band I am in does not need a large kit is no reason for me not to have one and use to practice / record and keep my chops up.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:57 PM

Sweet Kit My friend! Lovin it!

Joe
Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Beautiful.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 AM

Great kit Love the Pies
Old 01-14-2007, 05:50 AM

dude, those are some freakin awesome kit(s), I love the 28" bass drum, that is a beast, and would be awesome!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Wow...what a monster!!!
Beautiful cymbals, and magnificent 28 incher!!!!!
Sparkle makes me smile.

that must have cost you a car.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Beautiful kit man, I really love. I found that the Stewart Copeland snare was very similar to the sound of the new supraphonic, I'm seriously considering buying one. Are those Octobans to your left?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Great kit. I really dig that driver's seat pic.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM

wow! nice kit. i especially love the 28" giant. as I am thinking of buying a new kit in the summer, I wondered, maybe you could give me some pros and contras on the 28 kick?
I already asked for a lot of advice on it and it seemed to result in the fact that a 28 kick might sound a bit dead if you dampen it... what is your opinion on that? I am a dedicated believer though a good quality large 28" can sound amazing...
proove = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxhhQ58828

but the pros of a 24 (with not exaclty the same sound bit at least in the right direction) are obviously that heads are cheaper and it's easier to carry to your (small) gigs and off course the kickdrum itself is a lot cheaper too.

what do you guys think of this?

|| Mosquito ||
Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Beautiful kit man, I really love. I found that the Stewart Copeland snare was very similar to the sound of the new supraphonic, I'm seriously considering buying one. Are those Octobans to your left?

Thanks!! I am real happy with the Stewart Copeland snare. It was just what I was looking for. I originally wanted a custom Pork Pie Brass snare with the Patina finish but Bill said that he was not able to make those anymore. I still plan on finding one on ebay some day. I know they have the Big Black Brass snare. I tried it at GC but found I liked the Stewart Copeland better. Plus I have a old Tama Starclassic Performer set and it goes nicely with that as well.

Yes those are octobans on my left!! Really fun to play. Sizes are 6x12 and 6x14. Here is a better pic of them.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny from the block View Post
wow! nice kit. i especially love the 28" giant. as I am thinking of buying a new kit in the summer, I wondered, maybe you could give me some pros and contras on the 28 kick?
I already asked for a lot of advice on it and it seemed to result in the fact that a 28 kick might sound a bit dead if you dampen it... what is your opinion on that? I am a dedicated believer though a good quality large 28" can sound amazing...
proove = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxhhQ58828

but the pros of a 24 (with not exaclty the same sound bit at least in the right direction) are obviously that heads are cheaper and it's easier to carry to your (small) gigs and off course the kickdrum itself is a lot cheaper too.

what do you guys think of this?

Thanks bro! I love a 28 in Kick. Mine sounds amazing and I dont have anything in it. I would agree you wouldnt want to dampen it too much but either way you are going to hear it. After all the big boom is the sound your going for if you have a 28 and mine is not overly boomy. It came with a Remo Powerstroke 3 and sounds really good. Aquarian makes a SuperKick 1 for a 28 and I think I will try that out. The aquarian superkicks have been my favorite as of late ...
Lets see Pros - Looks cool ( gets peoples attention ) , Sounds cool , fun to play , if your a big guy it makes you look smaller! , For me it was just the sound in my head that I was going for.
Cons - the size ( I have a truck or minivan if needed and this is not a issue for me ), Heads are not easily available for them ( most stores will not have them , but just order a couple from your favorite store and your set!) , Harder to play ( not as easy as a smaller size bass , cant play as fast , fast double bass beats might not be as audible - these are just general estimations... I have not had any trouble adjusting to the 28 but results may vary ) , Cases - ( you will need to have a custom case made. I talked to Dave at XL Specialty and they made a hard case for me )

I just sold my ludwig set to purchase the pies and it had a 24in Kick. I have played that so long that playing a big bass was no problem. I was able to play fast double bass , triplets etc on the 24 and moving to the 28 wasnt that big a deal for me. I did try a few 26in kicks before I decided on the 28 and the 26 did not feel that much different than my 24 so that factored into my decision. The price difference was not that much different for the 28 over the 24... like under a 150 bucks retail difference. So far the heads are like 10 more than the 24. I always try to find the best price so if your patient you should be able to find what you want for not much more money. So with that in mind I would suggest going with what you really want / like. What brand are you wanting to go with? Not everyone will make a 28 for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited by Madwatch; 01-15-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 AM

insane kits! i love the smaller one, and the big kit, wow...gong drums, octobons, everthing thats cool...

Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

Now that is a CUSTOM kit...Love the octobans. Drummers who play Pork Pies have excellent taste.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 01-15-2007, 05:10 AM

beauty. Its a giant kit but it looks so cozy and easy to play
Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwatch View Post
Thanks bro! I love a 28 in Kick. Mine sounds amazing and I dont have anything in it. I would agree you wouldnt want to dampen it too much but either way you are going to hear it. After all the big boom is the sound your going for if you have a 28 and mine is not overly boomy. It came with a Remo Powerstroke 3 and sounds really good. Aquarian makes a SuperKick 1 for a 28 and I think I will try that out. The aquarian superkicks have been my favorite as of late ...
Lets see Pros - Looks cool ( gets peoples attention ) , Sounds cool , fun to play , if your a big guy it makes you look smaller! , For me it was just the sound in my head that I was going for.
Cons - the size ( I have a truck or minivan if needed and this is not a issue for me ), Heads are not easily available for them ( most stores will not have them , but just order a couple from your favorite store and your set!) , Harder to play ( not as easy as a smaller size bass , cant play as fast , fast double bass beats might not be as audible - these are just general estimations... I have not had any trouble adjusting to the 28 but results may vary ) , Cases - ( you will need to have a custom case made. I talked to Dave at XL Specialty and they made a hard case for me )

I just sold my ludwig set to purchase the pies and it had a 24in Kick. I have played that so long that playing a big bass was no problem. I was able to play fast double bass , triplets etc on the 24 and moving to the 28 wasnt that big a deal for me. I did try a few 26in kicks before I decided on the 28 and the 26 did not feel that much different than my 24 so that factored into my decision. The price difference was not that much different for the 28 over the 24... like under a 150 bucks retail difference. So far the heads are like 10 more than the 24. I always try to find the best price so if your patient you should be able to find what you want for not much more money. So with that in mind I would suggest going with what you really want / like. What brand are you wanting to go with? Not everyone will make a 28 for you. Let me know if you have more questions.
wow thx for all the info! I really figured out some things there. problem is i don't have a 150 bucks lying arround waiting to be used. I have some money but I got to spent it wisely because in total my new drums (kick, toms and snare) can't cost over 1500-1700... so I don't know. and frankly I don't know witch brand is my absolute favourite, cause I haven't been able to check ANY 28" kick... I feel really bad for it but it's true:p

the pros are pretty much similar to mine
but the cons ... I hope within some months I will have earned enough to not having to weigh every 50 bucks I spent on drums... Maybe then I can buy the 28

right now My biggest doubt is the 24" or 28" ... 'cause the 26" is stuck in between and has none of the pros of the 24, nor the 26 and has all of the cons together:p so I think I can forget that one.

Any advice on brands for big drums? rather semi-pro kits then high end kits... 'cause off the lack of money and all. I don't know what quality your kit is because i'm not familiar with pork pie...But it seems like a monster and looks pretty pro so I guess it ain't too bad, hehe:) no really kicks ass.

btw you said you have nothing in your 28 kick? But don't I spot some grey/black stuff in it on your pics?

anyway thx and thx again if you're willing to answer this:p

cheers

|| Mosquito ||
Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny from the block View Post
wow thx for all the info! I really figured out some things there. problem is i don't have a 150 bucks lying arround waiting to be used. I have some money but I got to spent it wisely because in total my new drums (kick, toms and snare) can't cost over 1500-1700... so I don't know. and frankly I don't know witch brand is my absolute favourite, cause I haven't been able to check ANY 28" kick... I feel really bad for it but it's true:p

the pros are pretty much similar to mine
but the cons ... I hope within some months I will have earned enough to not having to weigh every 50 bucks I spent on drums... Maybe then I can buy the 28

right now My biggest doubt is the 24" or 28" ... 'cause the 26" is stuck in between and has none of the pros of the 24, nor the 26 and has all of the cons together:p so I think I can forget that one.

Any advice on brands for big drums? rather semi-pro kits then high end kits... 'cause off the lack of money and all. I don't know what quality your kit is because i'm not familiar with pork pie...But it seems like a monster and looks pretty pro so I guess it ain't too bad, hehe:) no really kicks ass.

btw you said you have nothing in your 28 kick? But don't I spot some grey/black stuff in it on your pics?

anyway thx and thx again if you're willing to answer this:p

cheers
I have been looking at 28's for a while. Im not sure any semipro kits make a 28. I have seen a nice used DW set on ebay around your price range. They dont come around to often but they do pop up now and again. Also I have seen a few DW single 28 kicks for sale that went cheap... If you found one in a color you liked you could buy new toms to match. The market is smaller for those and people usually take a hit when they turn around and sell them. Pork Pie is one of the more well known custom builders but there are others that you might find more affordable. One thing you could do is find a used 28 in marching kick and use it with a drumset. If you went with a wrap finish you could rewrap it to match. Also you could not buy a snare at first and get the bass drum you want , then later get a snare you like ( assuming you already have a snare now you could use ) Lots of ideas but I still say hold out and get what you really want. Otherwise if your like me you will still end up still wanting it.

Small list of brands that make a 28 - Pork Pie www.porkpiedrums.com , San Francisco Drum Co http://www.sfdrumco.com/ , C & C http://www.candccustomdrums.com/ , Precision Drum Co http://www.precisiondrum.com/ - Im sure there are a bunch more.

Yeah when I took that pic I had stuck some foam in to see if it made a difference and it wasnt that noticable ( it was a small piece ) so I took it out. I have been playing it without it and love the sound.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 PM

WOAH! i really like the alternate kit.

I use a 26" kick and love it, i can only imagine how much fun the 28" must be.

What size 'holz' do you have on that reso head? I really like the design on the reso head, way cool.

the blue sparkle looks good, but is that a sparkle or a glass glitter? I've been thinking of wraps for my kit, blue sparkle/glitter is a possibility.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 PM

thanks Madwatch!
I se where your going, but I am not much of an ebay-fan, since I recently bought a zildjian avedis 24" medium ride, that had some bumps and keyholes in it that werenot shown on the picture...still a bomb for sure, but still a disappointment. I have to say I ordered some paiste 2002 14" medium hats too, and they were in excellent state. I stil don't want to take any risk with the second handed stuff...It will never be as good as new.

And you guessed wrong thinking I had a reasonable snare :d
I'm pretty ashamed to say I still play my 14x5.5 blackhawk:p i just wanted some new cymbals first and didn't have more money...

I know pearl makes 'em too and I guess DW would probably too, but I really hope i don't have to have them be custom made...That will definttly go behond my reach.

anyway thx you helped me quite a lot, I think the only thing I can do now is test as many 28" and 24" as I find... If I find any:p and if not ... well I will:)

cheers!

|| Mosquito ||
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtak View Post
WOAH! i really like the alternate kit.

I use a 26" kick and love it, i can only imagine how much fun the 28" must be.

What size 'holz' do you have on that reso head? I really like the design on the reso head, way cool.

the blue sparkle looks good, but is that a sparkle or a glass glitter? I've been thinking of wraps for my kit, blue sparkle/glitter is a possibility.

Thanks! I went with a 5in holz and had headfirst customize the front head.

I went with blue sparkle. It was cheaper and I have heard that the glitter wrap can shrink over time. Im not sure if this is actually true or not, but price was the main consideration on a kit this size.

and yes the 28 is a blast to play. I originally went with a 26in kick and changed my mind shortly after I ordered the kit.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

I dont think the old ladies in my church would appreciate it that much if i brought that big old kick in but man, that is really nice. Even though i live on over an acre of land i probably could still wake up my neighbors with that thing. {im a heavy hitter and my neighbor about 100 yards away has commented on how my playing has improved alot ; ) }
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 AM

WOW great kit....

HUGE cymbal slection :P

how does pok pie sound?

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

Georgeous kit! Nice to see some Pork Pies on this forum finally! You octoban setup seems a little awkward to reach, jumping over the hi-hat rod?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 AM

I have a pork pie snare and love it. But I can't imagine that whole kit, must sound awesome.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!! The pies sound awesome! I really love this set. Bill Detamore did a great job with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Georgeous kit! Nice to see some Pork Pies on this forum finally! You octoban setup seems a little awkward to reach, jumping over the hi-hat rod?
I have since trimed my hi hat rod down so only a inch or so sticks up. Not awkward at all now and easy to reach.