DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Murph's New HipGig

CRASH HipGig is out, new kit is in!!!

================================================== ============
This HipGig kit is a subset of my Fusion Kit.
The BD riser is in! Here are some new pics. The kit is now basically a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau HipGig Kit. The next step is a 14X14 Floor tom and a K Const Ride (or maybe a Byzance Meinl)... I may or may not convert the 16X16 to wooden hoops at some point...

I really like the Danmar riser. Very easy to assemble and put in place. It is adjustable and solid. And if and when I do decide to go to wooden hoops, this will work just fine.

10, 12 Toms YSCN
5X12 Snare Yamaha Natural Wood ($60 ebay)
16X16 BD YSCN

14" New Beats Hi-Hats
20" A Zildjian Medium Ride
17" A Zildjian Crash

Thanks for looking!
-Murph

Name:  DSC01159.JPG
Views: 3093
Size:  260.9 KB

Name:  DSC01161.JPG
Views: 2293
Size:  291.4 KB

Name:  DSC01162.JPG
Views: 2288
Size:  268.2 KB

Name:  DSC01163.JPG
Views: 2240
Size:  243.0 KB

Name:  DSC01164.JPG
Views: 2252
Size:  257.1 KB

Last edited by murphinelli; 01-16-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Link to Fusion Kit
Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default Re: Murph's New HipGig

That is so awesome!!! I think I will do the same with my Basix for very small Jazz gigs or so.

That is such an awesome trend! I love it!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM

What's the point of elevating your bass drum?

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
What's the point of elevating your bass drum?
For the bass pedal to hit the center of the head, as it's only a 16", to achieve a better sound and feel, i assume.

Great kit, i'd love a hipgig.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM

thanks for looking guys and thanks for the comments.

yeah, it's nice to elevate the BD. you get a better sound by hitting the beater closer to the center. plus, the elevation gives somewhat of a better resonance. most important to me is the riser allows an attachment for your BD pedal which makes it more solid and a good angle for the mallet to strike...

i had the BD on a layer of towels before. it gave it good height, but was wobbling all over...plus looked quite ghetto.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

That little kit radiates fun! Must be a kick in the pants to play. Moving and setting up should be quick and easy. Isn't this something you cobbled together? It looks very professional.

The Danmr riser looks very well-made and fuctional. I was looking for something like that and couldn't find it, so I just fabricated my own riser.

Ironwood drum set at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=ironwood

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-14-2007, 12:11 AM

great jazz kit! That looks beautiful! That yamaha natural wood snare for only 60 bucks...WOW! Great deal man!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

That looks awesome, Murph. I wonder, will the Danmar riser also work for 18" toms? I'd like to do this with my new 18" tom at some point...
Old 01-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Murph that kit is righteous. Absolutely perfect for small jazz gigs. Good job.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 PM
DrummerMom

Just goregous! Would you please post some sounds clips of your bass drum? I have the same size bass and I'm contemplating putting a second coated head on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
CRASH HipGig is out, new kit is in!!!

The BD riser is in! Here are some new pics. The kit is now basically a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau HipGig Kit. The next step is a 14X14 Floor tom and a K Const Ride (or maybe a Byzance Meinl)... I may or may not convert the 16X16 to wooden hoops at some point...

I really like the Danmar riser. Very easy to assemble and put in place. It is adjustable and solid. And if and when I do decide to go to wooden hoops, this will work just fine.

10, 12 Toms YSCN
5X12 Snare Yamaha Natural Wood ($60 ebay)
16X16 BD YSCN

14" New Beats Hi-Hats
20" A Zildjian Medium Ride
17" A Zildjian Crash

Thanks for looking!
-Murph

Attachment 9542

Attachment 9543

Attachment 9544

Attachment 9545

Attachment 9546
Old 01-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

How is the 12" floor tom? I would have put either a 13" or a 14" there, I dunno.. 12" seems a little too small for a floor tom, even if it's a hipgig setup.

Not to say that I don't love the kit.. smaller kits have always been my favorite.. I dislike the big, booming bass and the ridiculous array of toms and cymbals. Minimalization is the way to go!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM

thanks all for the nice feedback!!!

deathmetalconga,
i did cobble this together from my main kit...originally, i was cobbling together from old crappy drums (but they are now in the workshop....re-finishing). so, my current strategy is to just take these pieces off my main kit to create the hipgig version. it takes minutes. and takes minutes to set up. very easy to transport and small footprint required. i was also going to make my own riser....but ran out of time and interest...

somedrummer,
the danmar riser will work for 14" to 18" depth. so, should be okay for an 18X18 floor tom...

kungfoo,
the 12" is a little small. i do have a 13" yamaha concert tom that i've been going back and forth with. the concert tom only has the batter head obviously. so....the sound is a little different, but i think i like it better. i'm looking to get the equivalent 14X14 YSCN for this kit at some point.

drummermom,
i'll try and make some sound samples of the BD. i'm still messing with the muffling. originally tried felt strips...did not like it. don't like the way felt strips create a discontinuity along the bearing of the drum. plus it created a buzzing sound which did not cut it.

currently, i have 2 small hand towels rolled up. one touching each head. i like the sound, but still playing with it. i think i'm going to tighten up the batter head a little more...i'll try various approaches and make some sound clips of each...give me a couple days...

thanks again,
murph
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
How is the 12" floor tom? I would have put either a 13" or a 14" there, I dunno.. 12" seems a little too small for a floor tom, even if it's a hipgig setup.

Not to say that I don't love the kit.. smaller kits have always been my favorite.. I dislike the big, booming bass and the ridiculous array of toms and cymbals. Minimalization is the way to go!
Depending on the heads and tuning, a 12 inch tom could make a very good hipgig-type floor tom. I've seen jazz drummers tune their 14 inch floor toms extremely high, as high as a typical 10-inch tom. It's not the drum, but what you do with it. My own 12-inch tom is very low and would make a great floor tom, although I have a 14-incher to reach really low.

To me, the whole point of a truly different set up like a hip gig is to move away from the standard labels and expectations. I've heard of people using D'Amico bass drum cradles to hold 10-inch toms so a foot pedal could play them.

If you play what everyone else plays, you will sound like everyone else.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Depending on the heads and tuning, a 12 inch tom could make a very good hipgig-type floor tom. I've seen jazz drummers tune their 14 inch floor toms extremely high, as high as a typical 10-inch tom. It's not the drum, but what you do with it. My own 12-inch tom is very low and would make a great floor tom, although I have a 14-incher to reach really low.

To me, the whole point of a truly different set up like a hip gig is to move away from the standard labels and expectations. I've heard of people using D'Amico bass drum cradles to hold 10-inch toms so a foot pedal could play them.

If you play what everyone else plays, you will sound like everyone else.

www.terrasonus.com
true. and good points.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Gold Member

nice drums murph. your drums normaly give me sweet ideas!

Myspace-Add me!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
[url="http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20507"]I may or may not convert the 16X16 to wooden hoops at some point...

I like your mini set-up very much. Two questions:

If you were to turn the 16" floor tom into a "real" bass drum by putting wooden hoops on, would you need to raise the lugs away from the shell with spacers or gaskets? BD lugs are normally taller than tom lugs and I presume this is because the claws on the outside of the hoop cause the tension rods to sit further away from the shell.

And how would wooden hoops work with a riser like yours? I can see, with the normal chrome hoop, how the beater hits the head when the pedal is attached to the riser plate. But a wooden hoop would stick out further from the head. Will the shaft of the beater and the chain clear the wooden hoop, or does it need to have some kind of special cut-out?

I have considered doing something similar myself and always wondered how people turned floor toms into bass drums.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
I like your mini set-up very much. Two questions:

If you were to turn the 16" floor tom into a "real" bass drum by putting wooden hoops on, would you need to raise the lugs away from the shell with spacers or gaskets? BD lugs are normally taller than tom lugs and I presume this is because the claws on the outside of the hoop cause the tension rods to sit further away from the shell.

And how would wooden hoops work with a riser like yours? I can see, with the normal chrome hoop, how the beater hits the head when the pedal is attached to the riser plate. But a wooden hoop would stick out further from the head. Will the shaft of the beater and the chain clear the wooden hoop, or does it need to have some kind of special cut-out?

I have considered doing something similar myself and always wondered how people turned floor toms into bass drums.
good questions. here's what i've figured so far...someone else can chime in that's already done this....

you'd need to buy longer lugs for starters. once you figure out what size hoops you're going to use, then you need to measure and figure out what BD lugs you need. you'll also need to buy BD claws that will fit the wooden hoops.

i just measured the clearance with this riser and the dw5000 pedal. these may vary depending on the pedal...but should be close enough to get a general idea.

with the pedal all the way forward on the riser mounting plate there is just over 1" of clearance between the head and the chain link of the beater. if you move the pedal back on the plate so that you still have it gripping it (1/4" worth) you have approx. 1.5" of clearance. at this position the beater will be angled pretty good when it hits the head, but still okay. note: the pedal grip is not a "solid" grip in this position since it is not fully on there and not squared up with the riser plate....i could see it coming loose while your playing...maybe not...seems like danmar should sell a longer plate when using in wooden hoop configuration...

with this in mind, you would have to get a hoop of less than 1.5" in depth. precision drums inc. sells a 16" X 1.5": http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/maple_hoops.html
Old 01-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. I also thought of moving the pedal back on the riser's plate. But that's not really ideal if it's not secure. Here's another solution - the guy uses a different riser though.

http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/sho...ighlight=riser
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

And here's a guy who cut a notch in the hoop so that the pedal could clear.

http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/sho...ighlight=riser
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM

katman,

argghhh! i can't register on that ghostnote site for some reason....getting errors...can you post the pictures?

i thought about the notch idea too...i wonder what the real hipgig kits do for this...yamaha, gretsch must have solved this problem with 16" BDs....???...

-murph
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM

well, upon reflection...this danmar is probably not the greatest for wooden hoops....

there are better ones. see:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=117233

i did a little looking around...yamaha hipgig kits all have normal metal hoops on the BDs. gretsch has wooden on the catalina jazz and the USA CUSTOM SERIES- Vinyard 16" Jazzette Set. they most likely have a better riser that works for the wooden hoops....

looks like i'm sticking with metal after all....maybe i'll buy the jazzette set at some point...

Name:  kit_12_lg.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  129.1 KB
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Bummer about not getting onto the site - some of those builders are incredible.

Here's the guy that used a Gibraltar riser. This riser can only clip onto a wooden hoop, but he wanted to keep the triple flanged hoop. So he attached a piece of shell to his existing hoop by inverting 2 BD claws and have them fasten through the triple flanged hoop and into the lug. Don't know if that made complete sense. It did in my head.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

And here's a hoop made for an 18" BD that sits on some kind of riser.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM

so the dude with the gibraltar riser doesn't really have wooden hoops, just a partial piece to use his riser which is made for wooden hoops only....

the knotch out trick looks like something i could try...that looks like a professional job...i'd probably hack it up...but noone would see that part anyways...

thanks for posting these. lots of options...
Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

I linked here from the Small Drums thread and I forgot how cool this little kit is!

Really, it's like having two kits in one. Sounds like you can take the components of this homemade hipgig and make a large kit, or break down the large kit to make this one, and no one will know because nothing has been permanently modified.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I linked here from the Small Drums thread and I forgot how cool this little kit is!

Really, it's like having two kits in one. Sounds like you can take the components of this homemade hipgig and make a large kit, or break down the large kit to make this one, and no one will know because nothing has been permanently modified.
Absolutely correct! When I got back into drumming recently I realized I had to buy a new kit. My old pile of crap was not going to cut it and was just lame. I was originally thinking of purchasing a real Yamaha HipGig kit then figured...wait...I need something more versatile. What if I actually get into playing fusion and rock again?...Then maybe the HipGig would not cut it. So, I purchased the Yahama Stage Custom Nouv. (Fusion sizes) with the thought in mind that I could make my own HipGig out of this. And that's what this is.

Interesting thing is that I haven't played any rock or fusion stuff yet....lol...So, the big 22" BD is sitting on a shelf. All I've been focusing on lately is BeBop style jazz and my church playing....

If you don't have the cash or space for multiple drum sets...This is an option.

Thanks, Murph