DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Default ewe.classic kit.

Hello folks,

my name is Eric an I am from Saxony, Germany. I am a 19 year old student. Playing drums since fall 2003 I have tested a bunch of kits by playing several gigs and buying/selling drumsets. I tried to play a lot of styles in the first time and had projects playing funk, soul, pop, rock and even metal and stuff. It was just to enlarge my musical horizon. So in the end and as a result of that process I came up with a Ludwig kit from the late 1970's era I got from a friend from Bavaria.

It is white, so one can either love it or hate it ;) . I use to play Remo Ambassador coated as batter heads, which create - in combination with Ambassador clear as resonant heads - a very cool sound which I find is not comparable with the todays modern rock drumkits. But I love the old acoustic "oumph"-sound and for a rock musician there should be "huge" drums in order to get the "huge sound". I experienced that such a kit makes sense for rock music instead of trying to smack a 22/10/12/14 like with a hammer.

So here it is:

Ludwig Classic Maple kit (6 ply maple, white pvc-cover)

24"x14" bassdrum
14"x10" tom
18"x16" tom

14"x6,5" ludwig supraphonic snare

14" and 15" Zildjian Avedis New Beat HiHats
18" Zildjian Avedis Medium Crash
20" Zildjian Avedis Crash/Ride
22" Zildjian Avedis Medium Ride

The cymbals are all from the 1950's - 1970's. Though I own a lot of "old" stuff I do not consider myself a "vintage-freak". All that matters to me is the sound. And older instruments perfectly fulfill those requirements.

Sticks are in most cases Vic Firth 5B or 5A, but I tend to play 5B for most of the time. Hardware comes from Stagg, Pearl and noname companies but I'm really satisfied with it and playing feels great though.

Yours, Eric.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: ewe.classic kit.

I like white drum sets, they always look classy to me.
Wilkommen zu Drummerworld.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Nice kit. I play 6 ply Luddies myself. 26, 15, 16, 18. And welcome to Drummerworld.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 AM

@ harryconway

Those sizes are really HUGE ;)

Thanks for your replies, guys!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice kit man, I love white kits and the Ludwigs are amazing kits.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Jusstickinaround

I love your Ludwigs, I have a kit from the seventies as well, except mine are the 3ply maple shells. Ludwigs do have a unique sound, here's a photo of mine.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Sweet kit man...My dad told me that when he was younger he had white luddies. Then he sold them and I wish i could have taken those things and had a nice vintage set like yours man.
Vintage A's too! soooo sweet.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
I love your Ludwigs, I have a kit from the seventies as well, except mine are the 3ply maple shells. Ludwigs do have a unique sound, here's a photo of mine.

Hey, this kit is amazing! Congratulations.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Great looking set. White is a cool "color" ( white is actually "the absence of color", I learned in some art class or someplace... WHATEVER ! ) because on stage they take on whatever color light is shone on them... blue light = blue set.

I saw that you have a set of 15" hats. How do you like them compared to the 14s? I've been thinking about getting a pair.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuric View Post
I saw that you have a set of 15" hats. How do you like them compared to the 14s? I've been thinking about getting a pair.
I'm sorry for answering a bit late.

15" hats are mostly slower in reaction, when you hit them, but louder than 14" models from the same cymbal range. I can compare that fact 'cause I have one 14" as well as one 15" model from nearly one era here right next to me. My 15" Avedis hats are real rock music hats. Perfect for straight playing if it comes to such styles like Hard Rock, Rock or something where you want to play straight forward or where the grooves should be hard, but deep down in the pocket.
I prefer them when playing "simple" grooves because they react very slow. Another point is the chick which is very soft, but bright and "smacking" if you know what I want to say. Due to the fact that these cymbals are from the 70's they are not as thick as current models are which gives them more depth, warmth and also more complexity - in my humble opinion.

My motivation to check out 15" hats was the point that a lot of rock drummers use them, because they deliver a bright sound carpet when played half open and that sounds really good sometimes - especially in rock bands (in the tradition of: LedZep, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Deep Purple and nameless others). Better than a 14" model, which might sound "acute" (I dunno if that's the right word for it - maybe one can also say: "spiky"?!) in some musical situations, especially live.

Eric