DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Lenny White

Searched.....Could not find a thread for Lenny.

Recently pulled out my old Return to Forever Album, Romantic Warrior (1976). What a lineup this was. I saw them in '83...Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola, Lenny White. Spectacular.

Of special note is that Lenny also played on Miles' Bitches Brew (1969)...along with Jack DeJohnette. This album is one of the first (if not the first) entries into the jazz fusion era.

A great fusion and straight ahead jazz drummer.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Lenny_White.html
Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Lenny White

Romantic Warrior is my favorite Return to Forever album, probably because the lineup, and no doubt Lenny can be a monster. I also like his work on DiMeola's Elegant Gypsy record, but other than those two, I'm not very familiar with him.

I have, however, spent some time watching all the RTF vids up on Youtube with Lenny, and I suggest you check them out if haven't already, Murphinator (heh). Really good stuff.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:00 PM

KzSgDrummerator (hah),

Good idea. I found this one which is 30yrs old! These guys were just youngsters at the time. Romantic Warrior performed on the TV Show "Old Grey Whistle Test"

-murphinator
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM

What a find!!!! YouTube is awsome.

I listened to Romantic Warrior every single day from age 11-15, I think ;) This album is perfection (as is the drumming).
Old 01-10-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
Searched.....Could not find a thread for Lenny.

Recently pulled out my old Return to Forever Album, Romantic Warrior (1976). What a lineup this was. I saw them in '83...Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola, Lenny White. Spectacular.

Of special note is that Lenny also played on Miles' Bitches Brew (1969)...along with Jack DeJohnette. This album is one of the first (if not the first) entries into the jazz fusion era.

A great fusion and straight ahead jazz drummer.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Lenny_White.html

i love lenny white, he is a fantastic drummer. the return to forever lineup as mentioned above has produced some incredible music.

lenny definitely deserves his own thread. sometimes hes an overlooked drummer of that era, often overshadowed by tony or billy.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM

ahh - the memories. I saw them in '76 playing the Romantic Warrior tour and it was mind-blowing! Unforgettable - they played two sets, the opening set was all of the electric stuff, and then they came out for the second set with just their acoustic axes, with each one taking an extended solo on them - unbelievable stuff, each one was the best musician I had ever seen on their instruments, and they were all on stage together at the same time, To top it all off, we had perfect seats in a fantastic concert hall setting - still the best concert I've ever seen.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 PM

I saw Lenny White with Larry Coryel and Victor Bailey on Saturday 24 February 2007 (that's 2 days before today). The music was fantastic and i was surprised with Lenny's great performance. He is such a powerful and sophisticated player, he now became one of my favorites!

www.brothersinplugs.com
www.facebook.com/brothersinplugs
Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Thank you for thinking of this great drummer. Reading this thread made me pull out my CD of Where Have I Known You Before which is my favourite of all the Return To Forever Lps; the same line up as Romantic Warrior. Song of The Pharoah Kings is amazing and so is Vulcan Worlds. Lenny White and Narada Michael Walden are my favourite fusion players from this period (the mid-70s.) Fantastic albums...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

For a slightly more agressive approach, listen to his work with Vertu. They have one self-titled album released in 1999 featuring Stanley Clarke on bass, Karen Briggs on violin, Richie Kotzen on guitar and if I am not mistaken Rachel Z on keys.

Lenny has a website www.lennywhite.com