Stagg Cymbals

=J=

Hey,

Im trying to sort the cymbal set up on my practice kit, its got a set of Paiste 101s on it but, great as they are, theyre getting on a bit. In particular the crash has developed a nice crack in it. I need to renew them all but might just do the crash to start with. I also want to use the cheapest/best sounding cymbals i can get, just for my ears sake. I thought id take this oppourtunity to experiment with lesser known makes.

There have been loads of "i need cheap good cymbals" threads and most of them mention Staggs but in no degree of detail.

Anyone own any? My real kit is stagg and the cymbals that came with that were, as you would expect, aluminium cut into an almost round shape. However, I hear the SH and DH lines are great for the money? What about the Myra and Furia lines, worth the extra cash? Any info would be really helpful!

Cheers,

=J=

(sorry for long post!)

defpnatly if ur on a budget like me stagg are a god send but there smallewr crash are almost like splashes but either way i still like my china and crash go for DH and if your
willing to spoend a little extra

got for the furia and myra lines never heard thjem tho?

SH series, in which i own a 13 inch set of hats, are quite thin. They also sound a touch brassy, but they have good stick definition and a bearable sound for the price.

I have no experience with the DH cymbals, so would be looking for some advice in this area too, and also the Black Metal series ride cymbals have caught my attention too!

i honestly had little to do with Stagg cymbals till a few days ago...i played a gig supporting a friends badn an i used his 16" stagg crash...it was a nice cymbal especially considerin how much he paid fo rit...but honestly if your looking for a jazz/funk cymbal(like i was playing!!) the n theyre a no go...it sounded like at best a metal cymbal...at worst an odd china!!haha!but yeah they are nice if your doing metal...or rock!

I have a stagg brilliant hammered crash, and it's very very bright and sounds 'thin' (don't know an english word for it). it sounds very sharp aswell, if you get what I mean. I like it, it probably is a bit metal, but that's where my roots are :).

Cheers guys, I think im gonna try the furia line. Just purely cos iv never seen any reviews of them and im feeling experimental. Unless anyone has any other cheap but good cymbals to reccomend?

If you REALLY want CHEAP I personally love Planet-Z hi-hats.
This is MY OPINION and I am PROBABLY WRONG...but they sound awesome to me. It's just the sound I'm looking for...except when the hi-hats get too far open they sound pretty bad because they're really heavy rather than thin and dark.

But for the price...I love them...in fact unless I got another pair of hi-hats for AUS$100 or less I won't be replacing them until they break!

But then again it could just be mine that are weird...
and uh the crash and ride are best left unmentioned ;)

Cel

I have known Stagg cymbals for a long time.

While you don't have a lot of experience in cymbals, they might sound good to you, especially compared to Planet Z/101/Camber/Solar cymbals. Their crashes are pretty gongy, though, and their Hi-hats are quite harsh, compared to hi-end cymbals. But they're definately better than entry-level cymbals of major manufacturers.

Stagg offers many different lines, some of which I have tried:

- Stagg DH are in brilliant finish. It's the line that offers the most choice in types and models of cymbals. They're pretty gongy and except for the chinas, I don't like them a lot. But it's all a matter of preference and you have to try them to see if you like them or not.
- Stagg SH come in two different finishes - brilliant and natural. They're darker than DHs, and offer some great thin splashes.
- Stagg Myra are very rock/metal oriented. They're brighter than other lines, yet have that specific gongy Stagg sound. They're quite good, actually, and are worth the extra money, if you play in a rock/metal setting.
- Stagg BM (Black Metal) are unlathed and are naturally black. They're very dry and, again, gongy. This line has nice Icebells.
- I have not tried other lines yet (Furia, VB, T, ...).

Staggs are all hand-made, which means that two crashes of the same model and size might (and probably will) have totally different soundings. So you've got to try them by yourself before you buy one. While they might sound not so good to the drummer himself, the audience doesn't always care about the sound of his cymbals.

Here's an interesting review of the DH and Furia series by Drum Magazine: http://drummagazine.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=714

While my cymbals are all Hi-end (Sabian HHX, Istanbul Alchemy, ...), I have a Stagg SH splash, which is definately one of the best 8" splashes I have tried. I also have a 16" DH china which is excellent as well. And very unique. But I have chosen them from many and they all sounded quite different.

While Staggs are very affordable, you might want to look at Saluda cymbals. They're a bit more expensive, but are hi-end cymbals, and will make you proud on stage. Here's the websites:

www.saludacymbals.com - for the description and soundfiles
www.drumgearonline.com - for some excellent prices

Last edited:
HAHA...Im glad you didnt end up getting stagg....Never heard anything worse...Umm im not sure if you are still looking into cymbals but if i were you i'd wait till you get your new kit before you consider cymbals, you'll want to get cymbals that are going to work with your kit...

If you REALLY want CHEAP I personally love Planet-Z hi-hats.
This is MY OPINION and I am PROBABLY WRONG...but they sound awesome to me. It's just the sound I'm looking for...except when the hi-hats get too far open they sound pretty bad because they're really heavy rather than thin and dark.

But for the price...I love them...in fact unless I got another pair of hi-hats for AUS$100 or less I won't be replacing them until they break!

But then again it could just be mine that are weird...
and uh the crash and ride are best left unmentioned ;)

Cel

you ar ethe first person iv ever seen give a good review for planet Z....you are weird

to driver good thing with stagg like wuhan here not expensive soo u dont really loose much i took a rsk for fun n ended up liking them soo

... im cracking cymbals too often so i have to find a cheap alternative...

Sounds like you don't necessarily need cheap new cymbals, sounds like you should either work on your technique of striking the cymbal, or just get some really good ones (for metal I recommend Paiste Rude), or maybe both.

SH is their low line. SH is Single Hammered, while DH is Double Hammered and much more expensive. I have a set of their BM (Black Metal) high hats. Naturally black cymbals that are un-lathed and very heavy. I love the things, and they are supposed to hold up really well to a beating. That aside I think the DH sounds very nice and should stand up pretty well. Check those BM's out, though.

If you play metal, I'd really recommend Myras, they're aggressive, dense, solid and loud. I know Staggs pretty well so I know what I'm talking about. BM crashes/splashes will sound clangy (those that I tried did).

I was wondering about those BM icebells as well. A drummer that I once met was very glad with them, but I have never heard one.

I have the Stagg Black Metal bell. I think it was 6.5" and either medium or heavy weight. I guess it sounds good, I just haven't really figured out how to apply it. It sounds a little similar to the Zil-bel soundfile on the Zildjian site, but with more sustain and some gongy overtones.

I also have a 9" Stagg Myra splash, which sounds awesome, especially considering I paid about $20 for it. It has that signature gongy/china sound, very splashy and open.

Back