DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Giving Vater sticks a shot

I've been wanting to try a pair of Vaters for quite some time now. At the moment, I use Vic Firth SD4s and they feel amazing and they absorb all the shock, but the problem is that they're maple so shaft gets lots of cymbal dents very quickly. I play jazz/funk and some folk music like Jack Johnson style. So tonight, I went out and bought a pair of Los Angeles 5As, Manhattan 7As and the 8A. It's a lot of sticks for me to try out but I'll test em' out and see how I like them. Has anyone had any playing experience with the LA 5As, Manhattans, or 8As? If so, can you please give some feedback? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Giving Vater sticks a shot

I have a pair of Manhattans and they are probably one of my favorite sticks right now. I really like the balance and weight of them. I haven't played the LA 5A's, but I have a pair of 5A Nudes. They are pretty nice too, and one of my favorite "bigger" sticks.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Gold Member

I have a pair of Vater fusion size sticks and they are my favorite stick ever. Perfect grip, shape, weight, and everything. And they last forever.

Vater > Vic Firth
Old 01-08-2007, 06:06 AM

For me, the LA 5A is perfect for rock/fusion stuff and the 7A Manhattan is great for jazz. Vater all the way.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

I picked up a pair of New Orleans Jazz sticks, just to try out. I've been pleasantly surprised by their durability, as I've played pretty hard with them, and they have held up better than and VFs. That said, VF is pretty lacking these days, so it's not saying much. I do like the feel of them, however, and will probably get some more Vater models next time I go stick shopping.

Also, Nutha Jason uses Vaters, so they must be good... ;)
Old 01-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Pioneer Member

If you want the best all round stick (minus jazz), then get the Stewart Copeland signature stick. My favorite stick ever. I love the Manhatten stick too...awesome sticks.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I've used two pairs of Vaters in my life, due to limited availability around here. I have an oldish pair of 7A's that I used to Hell and back, have a chunk missing due to excessive rimshots, but have held up exceptionally well. I also bought a pair of Chad Smith Funk Blasters yesterday, and so far I'm very impressed. The only gripe is that they have a tendency to slip slightly, but that's as much a grip issue as anything.

Vater have done nothing but impress me with their durability so far. Quality sticks. Really good quality sticks.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM

I tryed vater 5a. They were strong buy didn't feel right. With the but end cut off It feels weird and has horrible back strokes

I really like VF HD9's and Carmine Appice Sigs. There strong and feel good. They dont last as long as a vater but durability is not everything
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM

The LA5a was the first stick I ever played and I still use them for lighter stuff.. I like them. They are durable and straight, but 5a's are a little to thin for my hands.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:03 PM

I've played a bit with the LA 5As now, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed (I've already read some responses to this little problem on the forums), but they feel a little slippery when and even a little more slippery when my hands start to sweat a bit. I also examined the stick and it feels/looks like Vater sticks in particular have some sort of gloss finish or something. I don't know what Vater does to finish their sticks but it's totally different from Vic Firth stick finish. Vic Firth sticks feel "natural" like they're just lacquered or something. I don't know how to describe it. But if you take a VF stick and a Vater stick and feel the two and compare, to me at least, they feel different, as though as the Vater one is a little glossy and slippery when held in my hand.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:22 AM

I've been using the following Vater Drumsticks for the last several years.
Stewart Copeland
LA 5A
Session
They have a nice feel and the quality is top notch.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchagato View Post
I've played a bit with the LA 5As now, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed (I've already read some responses to this little problem on the forums), but they feel a little slippery when and even a little more slippery when my hands start to sweat a bit. I also examined the stick and it feels/looks like Vater sticks in particular have some sort of gloss finish or something. I don't know what Vater does to finish their sticks but it's totally different from Vic Firth stick finish. Vic Firth sticks feel "natural" like they're just lacquered or something. I don't know how to describe it. But if you take a VF stick and a Vater stick and feel the two and compare, to me at least, they feel different, as though as the Vater one is a little glossy and slippery when held in my hand.
I'd agree with what you're saying but I still prefer Vater's, breaking sticks is ridiculously annoying. I've not broken a Vater in years. I ordered over 100 worth of sticks yesterday, got some 5B's, Power 5B's, Xtreme 5B's, 2B's and Morgan Rose Sigs. Smart.