DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Default evan's g2's

I just got a whole set of g2's for my Pacific kit (the beginner set) and I have to admit I really don't like the sound of my floor tom. I have been playing with hydralics for about three years and I finally switched over and my floor tom rings WAY too much and the sound reminds me of a tympani. I have checked out the tuning bible but nothing seems to be working. If I get an e-ring the damping will go away, but there wont be any umph. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: evan's g2's

did you try getting the bottom head a little tighter than the top?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM

I had the same problem with my floor tom and a g2 head. I put a piece of moongel on it and now it sounds perfect. Also just fiddle around with tunings, coz the tuning range on lower end drumkits(especially the floor toms) can be a bit limited. My floor tom sounds good with only pretty much one specific head tension and it took a long time to figure it out.

Keep at it and good luck.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Hydraulics aren't as finiky with tuning as the G2's or other 2 and 1 ply heads are so you'll probably need to spend more time playing around with tunings on the top and bottom to get rid of that tone. How do you have the batter and reso tuned now? Same pitch, reso lower, reso higher?

How do the rest of your toms sound with the G2's?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Right now I have just been messing around with the tuning on the floor tom so I'm going to loosen up the batter because its pretty tight and I have to go buy some moongel. I only put the 14" on so far (I'm only using one rack tom for now) and I'm still messing around with it but right now the sound of it is pretty decent.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Try tuning your floor so that the batter head just goes past the point where the wrinkles in the edges go away. You should be able to get it to growl with a nice deep punch without the moongel.

BTW what size is your floor tom? I've got a 16" and it's got a nice thunder to it without any dampning using G2 over an ebony ambassador.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Did you put G2's on your Batter and Reso? Reso's are usually a single ply head like a G1 or ambassador. You also didn't mention what kind of kit you put these on either. Are your reso's tuned higher or lower, did you seat the heads correctly. You said they sounded bad, what didn't sound right, too much ring, weird overtones? Going from a head that is heavily dampened like a hydraulic it will sound allot different using a regular 2 ply, part of it besides tuning is letting your ears get adjusted to the new sound. If you've got damping on your reso's then you are defeating the purpose regular 2 ply heads were designed for which is for tone and resonance something a hydraulic typically doesn't have much of.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 AM

I've got these. I just put one Moongel pad on the edge in between the lugs. Sounds dreamy.