DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Old 01-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Drum Teacher Directory

in terms of payment there are several ways to go about it.

in the beginning it is essential for the directory to grow so that it actually becomes useful. i would say it should be free for the first six months at least. then there are options. like those 'find a friend' directories where the persons name and details are put up available to search but their contact details are hidden until the searcher has paid a nominal amount. this would be useful in the subbing and session sections. the drum teachers should pay a small subscription fee. plus i imagine the site to have loads of payperclick ads down the side bars to subsidise its exsistence. like drummerworld. ther can even be featured ad systems where someone can pay extra to have their ad at the top of their country or city listings and in bold larger fonts etc.

i think the directory should be a part of drummerworld and not a separate website. one of the options in the top navigation bar. with the number of hits DW gets this will make it immediately visible and like with any directory - numbers count a lot in its success. the directory should also look like DW (same fonts and backgrounds) ... it is another DW service on offer.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Awesome idea! I like Nutha's idea too...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Senior Pro Drummer

Wonderfull idea''''''''' Maybee not as many names as
you think?????
Teacher/Player with Credentials
Butch Axsmith
Old 01-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

On the site that I mentioned is in progress and ready to 'go live", teachers must provide copies of degrees/certificates received by fax.. Although it's not REQUIRED that teachers have a degree to become a member, if they state they do have a degree, it must be substantiated..

Details and the announcement SOON!

Pat
Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I would suggest anyone who wants to be listed should pay $20 to $50 a year. If you're a serious instructor, this isn't a huge amount and is just a cost of doing business. It would help weed out the inexperienced and wankers who aren't really teachers but just want to be listed for ego purposes. www.terrasonus.com

Put sound clips on there and that would eliminate that problem...

I've had my share of bad teachers....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Pioneer Member

So, just to be clear here, on one hand we have people proposing a site be done and have it on Drummerworld and on the other hand we have Pat's basically done site which is separate entirely though is basically the same idea, correct?

G
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
So, just to be clear here, on one hand we have people proposing a site be done and have it on Drummerworld and on the other hand we have Pat's basically done site which is separate entirely though is basically the same idea, correct?

G
Yea i was starting to think people had him on ignore or something, lol. Sounds great Pat keep us up with the info.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

Hi

Members will have the ability to have sound clips and video clips, plus complete bios, etc..

More to come...and thanks !!!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Awesome Pat. Are you taking on any of the ideas spouted from this thread or is it nearly "Air time"?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like a sterling idea, I know it's something I would use, and it's something I'm sure that would really take off and be an invaluble resource

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 01-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Yes, I am listening to the ideas that some are suggeting,and basically I am doing those things already. The only things that the site will NOT have are "pay per click" ads and message board/forum stuff which simply clutter the site and expose the site to the possibilities of spam and unprofessional posts.

Besides, the best forum on the web is HERE AT DRUMMERWORLD!! No need for more!

It will be simply member - supported by drum teachers who want a listing and a page on the site for a minimal fee, and it is FREE to search for a teacher!

So, hang tight, it should be ready in a week or so!!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Awesome cant wait Pat!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

not to rain on anyone's parade but plenty of this info is allready out thier, their are listings all over the place if people are prepared to look. It's a great idea but Drummerworld has the potentional of then having a Monoploy on everything drums on the net by taking this route. Having one website for all things drum makes people lazy. Kinda like Mcdonalds makes people lazy when choosing somewhere to eat a burger. They just go to Mcdonalds bebcause they know where it is.

In england we have Drumsense http://www.drumsense.com/ which is easy to find on the internet. It was set up by a Rythm magazine drummer, he still writes for them. Not to mention all of the lower level private session drummers which advertise on thier websties. Guys like pete riley and what not. In the whole I think putting something like this would take business away from them, I dont think they would be happy about that. Or be very happy to pay for it, seems they would have to eventually becasue people are lazy and Drummerworld would over shadow their little websites. Monopoly is not cool, drummerworld is'nt just a cool little website now it's huge and it has the power to corner the market in this respect. No dis respect cause I love this site, im not sayng this will happen either. Just throwing it into the mix.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthebeat View Post
not to rain on anyone's parade but plenty of this info is allready out thier, their are listings all over the place if people are prepared to look. It's a great idea but Drummerworld has the potentional of then having a Monoploy on everything drums on the net by taking this route. Having one website for all things drum makes people lazy. Kinda like Mcdonalds makes people lazy when choosing somewhere to eat a burger. They just go to Mcdonalds bebcause they know where it is.

In england we have Drumsense http://www.drumsense.com/ which is easy to find on the internet. It was set up by a Rythm magazine drummer, he still writes for them. Not to mention all of the lower level private session drummers which advertise on thier websties. Guys like pete riley and what not. In the whole I think putting something like this would take business away from them, I dont think they would be happy about that. Or be very happy to pay for it, seems they would have to eventually becasue people are lazy and Drummerworld would over shadow their little websites. Monopoly is not cool, drummerworld is'nt just a cool little website now it's huge and it has the power to corner the market in this respect. No dis respect cause I love this site, im not sayng this will happen either. Just throwing it into the mix.

Must disagree with most of this. Drumsense is specifically a method of drum tuition that private tutors pay a sub to,founded and developed by Colin Woolway. Whilst popular with students and private tutors, it accounts only for one group of (albeit nationwide) tutors and one programme of teaching.
I disagree that Drummerworld developing a tutor directory would have any monopolising effect on Drumsense or freelance tutors. Conversely, I would expect it to have a positive effect in improving the exposure of the stand-alone tutors who, in UK at least are currently having a harder time competing with the Drumsense network.
The fact is, i've never yet encountered a worthy tutor directory - the one at Mikedolbear has more than 4 entries at least, but is still pretty poor if you live in the provinces. The fact that Drummerworld is so established and gets so much traffic is what makes a tutor directory so promising, regardless of where in the world you live. Forget monopolies, this is a free-to-view site, think of the possiblities.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Pioneer Member

I don't get this. I've been looking for a teacher in my area of the country, and have had no luck in finding a resource of any use; where i do find a local teacher listed, there is scant, if any information that i require i.e. musical/teaching experience, standard required, specialities, materials used. If there was one well-known, sought after directory, I think this would establish a protocol for listing, and would draw the major players in. Of course, I wouldn't expect some of the biggest guys to appear, for example Bob Armstrong - the big names wouldn't need this kind of exposure. I can only see this as mutually beneficial; tutees are provided a reliable and central resource, and tutors are provided an international platform. That's nothing to do with laziness.
I can't see the draw of Mikedolbear, too cliquey, but for the fine exception of Brookie. Shame he doesn't appear here, many would benefit from his knowledge.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Founder Drummerworld

I can't make a valuable drumteacher directory.....that would be more than 80'000 pages...

From Alaska to Hawaii - from Switzerland to Danmark, from Estonia to Turkey, from Japan to China......

Then in no way somebody is qualified to qualify. And only the natural fluctuation would give 50 - 100 changes a day.

-

So what I can offer is a drumteacher listing of those teachers willing to write to me and I point to their website...ok!!??
-

I started some weeks ago the project of showing everybodys drumset, who sends pictures. I totally underestimated the work, making all individal websites with bio, pictures and sounds. We have now 300 entries - thank you everybody. Just strange, that from the 9000 forummembers only 12 sent in their pictures.....hmmm

Bernhard
Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthebeat View Post
Here you go whats wrong with this guy http://www.drumgarden.com/teachers_matt.html

Here we go: Link not working.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

I thank everyone for their input in this forum. I recalled the 1990 Modern Drummer and thought it would be a good idea for a major drum publication (or website) to put out another directory. Drummerworld has given us so much. It is a way to see videos of drummers from the creation of the drumset until now. This forum has been a place for everyone to quetion, comment, agree and disagree. I respect Bernhard for all that he has done. I now understand that he is doing what he loves by adding more names to the Drummerworld site and that a teacher directory would be too much work in addition to what he already does.

I have been in touch with Pat Petrillo and am happily awaiting his drum teacher directory. I'm sure it will be talked about much in the future. Hopefully this will be the place that we can turn for a teacher database.

Bernhard and Pat - Thanks for everything.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 01-11-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Hi guys..

Well the preview for the International Drum Teachers Network site is up now, and there is a thread in the General Discussion section. It goes live February 1st!

www.drumteachersnetwork.com

Pat

Last edited by Pat Petrillo; 01-15-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Awesome Pat cant wait. You should put the link in your signiture.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Yah man, im in for that, let us all know when it is up
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Had a look at the preview Pat, looks great. How did you decide on the costs?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

The cost is $25 for a 6 month membership. It's very affordable. That was my main objective. As you can imagine, it does cost a bit to start up the site for design, programming, etc, plus a monthly maintenance fee. There has to be some some type of fee since there will be no ads or "pay per click" things..Any teacher who wants to grow their business as a teacher and a drummer need exposure, and advertising is part of it. It's a good investment based on the potential return, I think.

I would hope a large number of teachers register to make it viable, and based on the responses on both threads, it seems good!

Please visit www.drumteachersnetwork.com for details

WE GO LIVE IN FEBRUARY!

Last edited by Pat Petrillo; 01-30-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Hi everyone

I started a post the General discussion thread, but I thought I would let everyone know on this thread that the International Drum teachers Network in now ON LINE and accepting teacher memberships.!

Please visit www.drumteachersnetwork.com for details.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Great idea, but in my opinion there is one problem.

$25 dollars for 6 months? I personally that is too high of a price for the site in it's infancy. Personally, I would start it lower at like $10 and slowly work it up as the membership of teachers increases. Slowly though, not too fast.

While yes 25 may not seem like alot, but at first glance for right now, in a site which just started, it seems a little much.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

As I mentioned in the general thread I signed up for the network. It looks great. There has been a lot of interest in this thread so now it's time for people to start signing up. The more people that sign up - the more popular the site. That way it can benefit us all.

Jeff