DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Drum Rack Vs. Standard cymbal stands questions for the group

Hey guys, I'm looking for some opinions and ideas here. I was considering buying a drum rack of some type, Pearl or Gibralter most likely. Brand isn't really important, but I have absolutely NO experience using a drum rack of any type. I've always mounted everything on cymbals stands. Cymbals obviously, but toms also due to always having a virgin bass drum.
I'll just list some of my questions and hopefully we can discuss it.
- How easy is it to set up, as opposed to using the standard old way? My concern here is for live playing. Is it more time consuming/harder, or faster/easier to walk into a gig and set up/tear down a kit using a rack?
- How much room does it take up? It appears to me that it would actually save you room around your kit?
- Speaking of room; how much does it weigh and how much room does it take up as far as transporting to a gig?
- How well does it hold everything, meaning is it sturdy? And actually how much room is there for stuff. I assume that depends on the size of the rack?
These are my basic question at the moment. I would like to hear everyone's opinion pro/con for either side if you've experienced both. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Drum Rack Vs. Standard cymbal stands questions for the group

i can't speak for the pearl owners out there, but i can answer your questions regarding gibraltar racks.

I think it's faster for me to set up my whole kit (check the link in my signature) with the rack than it is for me to set it up as a 4 piece with 4 cymbals for a jazz gig.

The rack i have weighs about the same as 2 medium duty cymbal stands. However if you were to weigh all of the cymbal booms with it that number would probably double. Still, I'm playing like 13 cymbals and the hardware i carry in is pretty light.

My rack definitely takes up less space than my kit would occupy if I were using stands.

And, about sturdyness, my rack holds up 3 toms, 2 rides, 3 crashes, a trash set, a china and 2 splashes 3 or 4 times a week and hasn't broken or bent anything yet.

I was nervous about ordering the rack system when i got my new kit. I had never even SEEN one in person. It just worked out to be more space sympathetic and WAY more cost effective than stands, considering the kit i wanted to set up.

The cost effectiveness is something you need to consider though. For gibraltar stuff you're looking at ~30 bucks for each rack clamp and a little bit more than that for each cymbal boom. Do the math before you commit to anything. You might find out that it's cheaper or easier for you to just stick with regular old stands.

Good luck!

And... if I were looking to get a rack right now, i'd still go with gibraltar, but i would definitely try to find an older one... and stay away from their V-rack stuff...
Old 01-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

I have a DR 80 rack from Pearl, and I have 4 toms, and 6 cymbals mounted on it, and it is very sturdy, and the DR 80 is the cheapest or (least expensive) version.
About setting it up, I have everything "memory locked" and because of that it is relatively easy and fast to set up.
But I think it is not much faster if at all than a setup with regular stands.
Space wise I think it is compacter than the setup with stands, because you put up your rack, and that is the space you need, you don't have to tell the bass player after you setup half your stuff to move his s*** a little over because you have another cymbal stand.
The problem I think is when you have a gig with multiple bands, and you need to setup quickly, it is hard to put everything on the rack backstage before you go on and then carry the whole thing on stage.That could be a little difficult.
I think with the regular stand system, you can set up the toms, the cymbals, and then carry the pieces on stage and put them in the right place.
That just my .02 cents.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have both. An old Pearl DR-100 and cymbal/tom stands. My ex-lead singer used to sit on my DR-100 on stage. That's how strong it is. Don't try that with tube racks. If floorspace is an issue, stands are the way to go. You can leave stands/drums in the car or at the studio if space is an issue. The rack is faster to get on and off stage if you have help. Throw down the kick drum, put the rack in place, pedal, snare and throne and you're ready to rock. (if you assemble everything off stage). If you have to dis-assemble your rack to fit it into your car, then you may just want to use stands. If you have a van or truck, obviously, the less you have to tear your rack down, the faster your set-up time will be.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:29 AM

Cozy,

It really depends on what type of gigs you play. Racks are great for the average bar gig that has enough space for your drumkit on stage. But if you are constantly changing venues, like private party style, and you need a smaller rig, then you can't set up your rack, you will need to downsize your rig, and stands are the only thing you can use. So it depends on what you do with your kit.

I have both, a rack system and stands. I mount 8 cymbals, 3 toms, 1 snare, 1 set of windchimes, 2 cowbells, 1 jam block, 1 tamb, 1 stick holder, 1 cup holder, 1 fan on my 3 sided Gibralter rack (non "V") with no problem, The whole kit takes me 15-20 minutes tops to set up (I've been doing this for 18 years) you just need a systematic way of setting it up. i start with the front rack pcs and legs, then attach the sides. Then I mount all the drums, then cymbals and then the toys. Also, all of my mic clamps are attached to my rack.

Now, I can also set up the entire kit with just three cymbal stands. The first stand holds my side snare, 14" china, 10" splash. The second stand holds my 8" tom, 8" splash, 16" crash. My third stand holds my 20" ride, 17" crash and my 16" china. My bass drum tom mount holds my 10" & 12" toms with a multi clamp holding my 12" splash. My floor toms have legs. (See pics attached) I use my stands for two reasons. 1) the stage depth is not enough for me to enter/exit the kit, or 2) the area is too small for the entire rack system to be set up. But, this way takes me 35-40 minutes to set up. Kinda sucks, but at least I can still play the gig. Just plan accordingly.

So, it just comes down to what you need to be flexible. I have had no problems with the Gibralter rack, but if you are going to be standing on it, then I would get the Pearl Icon Rack.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drumkit#5 - 2006.zip (3.55 MB, 328 views)
Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Gold Member

I had stands but recently went to a Gibraltar rack.

I have an 8 piece kit with 10 cymbals.

Much more sturdy and takes up less space. However, it is pricey. I have about 600 invested in my rack system.

It all depends on what you want. I can completely move my kit from my jam room to the garage or living room in a matter of 15 minutes due to the memory locks.

Plus, I think it looks cool.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM

RACK all the way....
You can position your drums almost anyway you like
Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 PM

Stands are preferred from my experience.

I just did a NYE gig with a little 4 piece and stands. I was talking with the sound crew as the other band arrived and when the drummer arrived with his rack there was a collective groan.

When I had a rack I often found it a PITA to set up, sometimes the kit didn't feel right or the same as it did in rehearsal, sometimes things on it would rattle.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for some opinions and ideas here. I was considering buying a drum rack of some type, Pearl or Gibralter most likely. Brand isn't really important, but I have absolutely NO experience using a drum rack of any type. I've always mounted everything on cymbals stands. Cymbals obviously, but toms also due to always having a virgin bass drum.
I'll just list some of my questions and hopefully we can discuss it.
- How easy is it to set up, as opposed to using the standard old way? My concern here is for live playing. Is it more time consuming/harder, or faster/easier to walk into a gig and set up/tear down a kit using a rack?
- How much room does it take up? It appears to me that it would actually save you room around your kit?
- Speaking of room; how much does it weigh and how much room does it take up as far as transporting to a gig?
- How well does it hold everything, meaning is it sturdy? And actually how much room is there for stuff. I assume that depends on the size of the rack?
These are my basic question at the moment. I would like to hear everyone's opinion pro/con for either side if you've experienced both. Thanks.
Didn't you post this on the roddy forum? ooooh... I'm tellin'

I would quite like to know though, as I am considering a rack in the not too distant future.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

I've been looking at racks also. I mainly just want the front piece which would hold my 3 toms and 2 cymbals at the corners. I would still use 2 stands on my right and one on my left for cymbals. I'm putting legs on the 16" & 18" floor toms. Since I purchased my DW set with virgin bass drum I've been having a hard time gettin the 3 rack toms just right. I had previously played a Tama kit with a bass drum tom holder and didn't have this problem. Obviously there will still be some gigs that this might not work on and I'll still have some tom holder clamps for the stands. Flexibility is a must in gigging.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 PM

For me Its actually easier because I like having my drums set up the same way every time. The rack with memory locks helps me achieve that

I dont know about that answer because My practice room is big. It if you have cymbal stands getting in the way, you wont have this problem with a rack

Its not to heavy, it fits in my car so its not to much of a hassle

Yes and the way you position your cymbals. Look at my kit

I would have a hard time using cymbal stands to have that set up
Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Zildjian 242,

Whoa!! What an arsenal of cymbals!!! Did you get those from Paul at The Buffalo Drum Outlet? He is an awesome guy to purchase from. Always on the straight and narrow with anything you ask him.

This kit is the reason why they created the Drum Rack.........for the gigging drummer. Nice rig..........
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM

I actually got the kit, snares, rack, and pedals from Paul. Coolest guy ever

I get my cymbals from a place in rochester called House of Guitars. Im able to get deals there because my dad was roomates with the owner, and he hooks me up lol
Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 AM

I used to work at the H.O.G.!! with Armand, Bruce, Blain. That place is crazy!!! I am originally from Rochester, NY. Go to the "You Drumset Gallery" and look for Michael Catone. 'tis me...............I miss WNY sometimes..........the music scene all over WNY seems to be a little better than here in Tampa.....so far. I'm getting into a gig in a few weeks with some great guys...........I'll let you know how it works out.

Just keep jammin........just keep jammin..........
Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 AM

wow, small world. Kurt is who usually hooks me up with a good deal, maybe you know who he is...