DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Pork Pie Big Beauty

Anyone played one of these? Thinking about buying one, can't afford a Black Beauty so I thought I'd try one of these. They sell them at GC for $229. It's a 6.5x14 with tube lugs, and I noticed that they are made in Taiwan, I didn't realize Pork Pie had drums made in Taiwan, oh well, it still looks pretty cool, and sounded good at GC. Although they come with Remo heads, unfortunately the are the Taiwan made heads, oh well again. I know they are made to look like a Black Beauty, but do they sound like them? I haven't had much experience with the Ludwigs so I can't make a real comparison. One thing I didn't like was the throw off, a bit stiff, but it looks nice. Any opinions would be helpful. Oops, accidently put this in the wrong category, I thought I was in drum gear, maybe some nice moderator will kindly move it to the correct place, thank you.

Last edited by Jusstickinaround; 12-31-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pork Pie Big Beauty

Buy one. They are great I have one and a very rare 14x5 version. Only 10 14x5 were ever made. They have a sound that is 99% Black Beauty. Great tuning range. Don't let the Taiwan thing throw you. They are first rate, high end professional drums.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

ha, well my pork pie snare was made over seas! it used to have tuning problems it wouldn't hold a tuning for anytime at all. but now its a few months old, it has grown out of that into a fine drum! i own a 13x7 little squealer

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jollys

I have never played the drum in question, but i looooove Ludwig snares, and this is a clear rip off of one, i say go for it! it will more than likely be my next snare too!

Tips: play the drum in the store, tune it, and buy the drum you play... not one in a box, i made the mistake of getting a diffrant snare then i played, this one doesn't sound as good, but i still like how it sounds.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post

I have never played the drum in question, but i looooove Ludwig snares, and this is a clear rip off of one, i say go for it! it will more than likely be my next snare too!
That is kinda harsh :^) It is like saying any maple drum is a rip off of the very first maple drum ever made. Tama is working on a high impact ceramic shell. That will be the first really new idea since carbon fiber.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
That is kinda harsh :^) It is like saying any maple drum is a rip off of the very first maple drum ever made. Tama is working on a high impact ceramic shell. That will be the first really new idea since carbon fiber.

Sorry mate.. i didn't mean it that way. I use a few pork pie products.. i love everyone of them, if my memory strikes me, you are pork pie endorser, so you know what im talking about their quality, its insane!

I just think that this time pork pie was going for the classic sound of the black beauty mixed with the insane modern tone of pork pie drums

Myspace-Add me!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Jusstickinaround

I bought the snare, haven't had a chance to play it with the band yet, but I'm sure it will sound good. How do they make sure of quality control overseas? I know Sonor and some others actually have people their to inspect them, I didn't think Pork Pie was a bid enough company to do that. Are they made exclusively for Pok Pie? Give me some details, I'm starting to get very interested in their products.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
I bought the snare, haven't had a chance to play it with the band yet, but I'm sure it will sound good. How do they make sure of quality control overseas? I know Sonor and some others actually have people their to inspect them, I didn't think Pork Pie was a bid enough company to do that. Are they made exclusively for Pok Pie? Give me some details, I'm starting to get very interested in their products.

There are many factories over seas, some good and some suck. All the drum components are shipped to the factory after having passed their own QC. The factory that makes these drums also makes the Gibson and Fender guitars that are made over seas. It is a high high end factory and costs more than other factories, but the end results are great. One finished prodect was made and sent to Pork Pie for approval, and once approved, all drums were made exactly that way.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
There are many factories over seas, some good and some suck. All the drum components are shipped to the factory after having passed their own QC. The factory that makes these drums also makes the Gibson and Fender guitars that are made over seas. It is a high high end factory and costs more than other factories, but the end results are great. One finished prodect was made and sent to Pork Pie for approval, and once approved, all drums were made exactly that way.
Thanks man, that's good to know, btw, I went to Sam Ash yesterday and banged on a few Ludwig Black Beauties that cost over $400, I couldn't see a difference (except for the throwoff) in the constuction, and they sounded pretty much like the Pork Pie. I wonder if there is just something wrong with my throwoff, it's very difficult to engage the snares after you disengage the snares, especially if the arm goes all the way down. I'm going to have it looked at or buy a different throwoff.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

There is a cat on here that makes trick throw offs for any snare! ask him to make you one for your porkpie. i sure am!

Myspace-Add me!