DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

I am going to attempt a good request for info post:

The request.
I am looking for a primary snare with a fairly wide range of tuning, but sticking generally to a mid-to-low pitch. I want a sharp response, but preferably not a piccolo. I want it to be less than 5 inches deep. I don't care whether it is wood or metal. Price doesn't matter much as long as it is reasonable (less than $500) and worth it. My musical styles are: jazz, rock, and pseudo-metal. What is the snare for me? Ask for clarifications.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:43 AM

I dont think that you are gona get the sound you want with a snare under 5 inches.....but it is possible.....Most piccolos are under 5 inches..and if you looking for sopmthing to tune lower i would go with a 6.5......And like i Preach to everyone...The yamaha Musashi is Really versitile. It can sound like a really hight tuned piccolo or a can go nice and low and have alot of punch. Its 13X6.5 so can be used as a Main or aux snare. Its a sensitive snare also that would be awsome for jazz. and It is Awsome for Prog/metal. Check it out..oh yeah..its also under 200$
Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 PM

I'm currently goin' nuts trying to find a brass shelled 14x3 Pearl picollo...Absolutely the most versatile, sensitive, player friendly snare I've ever sat down to. My original was from '92...I sold it under duress, and have pined for it ever since.

Really freakin' loud, too.

K
Old 02-09-2006, 04:16 PM

Saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ludwig-Supraph...QQcmdZViewItem

Firstly do you think it's the genuine article?

It looks a bit knackered but I'm not too bothered about that - I'm more interested in how it sounds. Do you think the superficial damage on the side will affect its sound quality?

The seller says the snare wires are not original but then I have read in this thread that people have changed the snare wires anyway.

All in all I just wanted to get people's advice (and hopefully not get embroiled in a bidding war with someone from these boards!)

Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorno
Saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ludwig-Supraph...QQcmdZViewItem

Firstly do you think it's the genuine article?

It looks a bit knackered but I'm not too bothered about that - I'm more interested in how it sounds. Do you think the superficial damage on the side will affect its sound quality?

The seller says the snare wires are not original but then I have read in this thread that people have changed the snare wires anyway.

All in all I just wanted to get people's advice (and hopefully not get embroiled in a bidding war with someone from these boards!)

Thanks
There's only an hour left before bidding ends - any help please people?!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:10 AM

Default New Snare?!?

I want to buy a new snare. Right now I have a Pearl Professional Series Steel snare made in the 80's I believe. It does sound fantastic, the best sounding steel snare I have personally ever heard. But I am looking for a good wooden snare. Does anyone have any ideas for a decent wooden snare I can get for around $100 or less. Dont have to be new, I will buy used... Any Ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: New Snare?!?

Make one....
Get a Keller shell some decent hardware and a good throw off....Bet you could do it for around 100.00 give or take a few bucks.......You will be suprised how cheap it can be....Cheers !!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:35 AM

Default Re: New Snare?!?

That is exactly what I was thinking, didn't know it would be that cheap though.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Help me choose a Snare Drum

I own a CB beginners kit. I have done pretty much everything involving the tuning of my drums. I am pleased with everything but my snare right now. My snare has been a real nightmare.

I have Evans HD for the batter, Some Aquarian side snare for the reso. I don't like the buzzing this drum gives me. There are 6 lugs per hoop and I am looking for a snare drum that is easier to tune. Preferably with 10 lugs so I can make the tention around the snare bed different to else where.

I play most things, but mainly rock music and heavy rock music. However, I am still learning so I want this snare drum to be versitile and suitable for playing styles of music which I want to learn in the near future.

I want a quite a bright sound which is quite focused, but still has a little decay and a ring afterwards.

As for the budget, I will happily spend 200, maybe 250 on this snare drum.

Oh, and can someone explain to me what snare beds are, and what to look out for. I don't want a snare that buzzes alot when I don't hit it.

I also plan on buying a sonor 3005 (and selling the snare drum with it) with a Red and Black Piano finnish, so I may be fussy about the finnish.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:38 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default Re: Help me choose a Snare Drum

hello,

try the Dennis Chambers oder Chad Smith Signature Snare Drums! but I don`t know whether they are in your price range...but they are good.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 AM

The best snare drum I have ever played is the 6.5 x 14" Ludwig Suprahonic Steel chrome snare drum. It is very versatile for rock, jazz, country etc. This drum in my opinion is the drum in which all snare drums are measured. This was the indusrty standard in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Also if someone researched this I bet this drum (including the 5 1/2 x 14") has been recorded on more popular music from those time periods then any other drum. What more do you need? It projects well, but at the same time is very sensitive for softer music. It is the perfect tool for any kit.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 PM

I'm down to two snares...I sold a bunch in the last few years due to financial problems. I use a 5/1/4 Black Beauty for almost everything. The only thing I've done is gone to a 42 strand snare which gave the drum a wider range. I also have the current Maple PDP snare which is OK, but not like my old Jazzfest. The only snares I've sold which I regret were my '67 5-1/4 Supra, my '66 Jazzfest, and my 70 6 1/2 Supra. I hope to own those drums again.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

hey, im currently using the Pearl Chad Smith sig, was the first snare I bought *tear.

I'm looking to get another, I like the crack the CS has but I wanted to get something with more warmth. I have gone through this thread, but was hoping to recieve some opinions of those having played the CS and could offer an opinion on other snares in comparision.

cheers
Old 02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Is there a snare out there with a dark, jazzy tone when hit in the center, but has a sharp, cutting rim shot?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Has there been any word on the new Vinnie Paul signature snare? That thing looks frikkin sweet...

I need a realease date and an estimated price range. I think that will be my next snare.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd
Is there a snare out there with a dark, jazzy tone when hit in the center, but has a sharp, cutting rim shot?
I have just been shipped my new Yamaha Absolute Custom Birch. With it I requested a
an ACB 7 X14 snare. Nice and dark, maybe a little deep for your needs, but also has a great rimshot crack, easy to tune and control, even with the stock Yamaha / Remo ambassador on the batter. What I like most about it is it's tone when played quietly.
If your looking for dark, try a birch snare.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:01 PM

hey i was thinking about gettin a 14x4 serpentine piccolo snare by ocdp. but do you think it will sound weird as a main snare.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:07 AM

I just got a new Pork Pie Vented Snare! What a Snare! This snare is the best I have ever played. I can't believe it really, no tape or any muffling at all.The rim shots are hits are so loud on this snare ! But it's not cheap at all. I think the list was around 1,100.00 us. I didn't pay that but what a snare !
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 AM

hey guys, i'm needing some help again. i've been drumming for 6 years but i'm quite a newbie when it comes to equipment, and most of the things i know i've learnt from you guys thanks to this great forum. So be sure that your advice will be heard.
This is the deal: i'm looking for a new snare drum, and i kinda got tired of getting cheap used stuff, so i've decided to make an investment on my durumming future. i swear i spent one hour searching through the forum, but i haven't found that much info and need a more "personal" answer.
i've been to the biggest drum store in my city today (i'm from argentina) and tried two snare drums with great interest: the omar hakim sig. and a 1994 used supraphonic. i liked the warmth of the omar, found it very responsive and sensitive and i'm seriously considering buyng it (although it's $ 400, almost two times it's price due to my country's overpricing), but i find the idea of playing a 13 inch snare as a main pretty intimidating. i'm mainly a rock-pop drummer so that gives me a little hope.
the supraphonic is an industry standard as i've heard, and it sunds great. i should have spent more time tying it, but quickly fell for the looks of the hakim's mahogany shell. both cost about the same, so it's a tough choice to make.
any comments? what do you guys think? what should i do?!? i'm kinda desperate here, and they only have one unit of each, so help is needed.
I thank you all in advance!
Old 03-01-2006, 05:08 PM

Hey Guys,

I am looking at buying a Mapex Saturn Pro drum set, but I was wondering what the snare drum that it comes with sounds like? Does it also have the two plies of walnut? What heads aound good on it etc

Justin
Old 03-04-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd
Dunnett Titanium, 6.5x13.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
hey, im currently using the Pearl Chad Smith sig, was the first snare I bought *tear.

I'm looking to get another, I like the crack the CS has but I wanted to get something with more warmth. I have gone through this thread, but was hoping to recieve some opinions of those having played the CS and could offer an opinion on other snares in comparision.

cheers
Cant say Im a big fan of the CS, but if youre looking for a drum with crack from hell (or heaven), articulation, lots of body, sensitivity, then the Brady jarrah ply 5.5x14 is awesome (I own one). Chad Smith actually uses this model a lot (according to interviews). The only "downside" to this snare is the price.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom
Cant say Im a big fan of the CS, but if youre looking for a drum with crack from hell (or heaven), articulation, lots of body, sensitivity, then the Brady jarrah ply 5.5x14 is awesome (I own one). Chad Smith actually uses this model a lot (according to interviews). The only "downside" to this snare is the price.
Ohh wow, thanks. Yeah i'd imagine that brady costs the best part of a 1000usd.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM

I own a Pearl Masters Custom snare that I love! It sounds great! It was only $300
Old 03-13-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Yeah.. finaly a new snare

I bought a Ludwig 14x6,5" brass today. It was really a big upgrade from my last snare, which was a standard Tama Rockstar 14x5". I really like the loud sound from the Ludwig!
I got it for 2000,- NOK (norwegian kroner) = $300. (Yeah, it look's kinda expencive, but drums cost's alot over here).

The drumhead it came with is really bad, and I'm not sure what kind of head i'll put on. I like alot of depth (bass sound?).
I got Evans "Super Tough" on another snare i own, which really stands up for its name, but I think it's too thin. Any suggestions? I play mostly rock/heavy.

Yeah, I suck at english.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Call me Old School if you like. One thing I always get good marks for is the sound of my Drums. I use Ludwig 6ply Maple Kit with 3"x13" Ludwig Maple snare. I use Remo FiberSkyn Heads. To me the heads are the overall best sound. They are very warm and full sounding and there is really no need do even dampen them. Also I have found the older they become the better they sound.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:18 PM

In my dreams I have two snares. One is a 6x14 steel shell because although I can understand people who say they like warmth, the crack, sensitivity and high ring appeals to me most. I also have a 4x13 auxiliary maple snare because I want the pop and crack that this would probably give (I think!). I foolishly tried to make my rubbish 5x14 six lug unknown wood snare sound like both of these and failed dismally both times. I think I'd like a black beauty.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

My 2 favorites
-6x14 Starclassic G Maple Black Cherry finish with Chrome hardware. (On special order, coming in the mail in May)
-Yamaha Mike Bordin Signature Copper 6.5x14 (Some day she will be mine, oh yes.)
Attached Images

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 03-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Black Panthers are great value for money in my opinion.

brass 12inch pack a punch!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 PM

I don't know if anyone has tried the new Rush 30th Anniversary Neil Peart Snare Drum, and I know it's a bit expensive but man, it sounds awesome and looks great with a really subtle sparkle finish. I am not usually a big fan of signature stuff because it's so sound specific but this ones a winner.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:25 AM

love the way custom drums play.

take for instence this truth chamber snare, my dream snare, 1400 i think for a 14".

this, is my dream snare

my drums here
Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM

Anyone have a Pearl Export ELX 14 x 5" snare? I'm pretty sure they are common but I saw one at the shop today for about $130 and sounded pretty good...nice pop and better than the limited selection of other snares. Any comments from those who have played them before? Wondering if I should snag it soon.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 PM

http://www.drumvillage.com/images/Co...%20webpage.JPG

Try this, its pretty tasty.....

I like the Black Beauty snare though.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 AM

Whats up people

I've been contemplating buying a new snare, and have been looking at the Chad Smith Snare, and the Pearl Ultracast snares. I've played around with the chad smith snare at the store, and have only heard the ultracast once. I didnt really get to mess around with them like i really wanted.

obviously a difference in price, but i was wondering what anyone had to say about either of them? Would you recommend them? Is the ultracast worth the price? Does the CS sound too tin-ey?

I've been having a hardtime finding people who can give some info on the ultracast.

I'm looking for a snare i can tune pretty tight and get a good crack out of, but still have lots of ghostnotes cut though, as well as have good tone and body at a lower dynamic of playing.

Any other suggestions/reviews would be awesome.

My primary style is hard rock (ie the stylings of chad sexton (my hero) of 311, and abe cunningham of Deftones)

thanks guys

-JOE
Old 04-18-2006, 03:06 AM

My primary snare is a Pearl M1330 Maple Piccolo. It's got a great popping sound, and the ghost notes are beautiful. It has loads of low-end for a piccolo, and sounds good at any tuning range. 3 x 13

I also have an Ian Paice signature snare which I hardly use anymore, I took the snares off and I use it as a side snare, it's got a Danny Carey-ish snare-less tone that Iike to play with sometimes.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Two of my old time favorites Rogers Dynasonic, and Ludwig Supersensitive.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:39 PM

I have a ludwig classic birdseye maple. GREAT SNARE DRUM ! But for me the best snare drum is a bel brass sonor sig Horst link 14*6.5.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:17 AM

Hey, I'd like to find out what Jojo Mayer used in the drummer convention. I know it's Sonor, but is it maple? Bumbinga?

I think he used an ambassador on it, since it was sonor head.

To me, it was the ideal snare sound. Any info?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

I dont know if this has been asked before, but I just wondered, in the song "Atwa" of System of a Down, Dolmayan play a pretty cool groove, where we hear his snare pretty good. Im looking for a new snare and thought a sound like that wouldnt be to bad!
Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CPj...0of%20a%20Down
Old 05-08-2006, 04:27 PM

what's the real diff (if any) btwn ludwigs' 400 & 300 import versions of the same
snare (both supraphonics if i'm not mistaken)?