DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: SNARE HELP

definately check out black panther snares, they have so many snares you can choose from, im sure youd fine a sound you love in one of them. i just picked up a premium birdseye maple 5x14 and its amazing. and personally, i wouldnt get a piccolo. theyre fun for a while, but they soon get old. the first new snare i got was a piccolo, which i really liked at first, but after a while i was really craving the sound of a regular size drum.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-MaN91
definately check out black panther snares, they have so many snares you can choose from, im sure youd fine a sound you love in one of them. i just picked up a premium birdseye maple 5x14 and its amazing. and personally, i wouldnt get a piccolo. theyre fun for a while, but they soon get old. the first new snare i got was a piccolo, which i really liked at first, but after a while i was really craving the sound of a regular size drum.
Something goofy about the finish seclection.
Birdseye maple has a distinct, and beautiful grain.

This is craviatto natural birdseye:

Here is the mapex

It's just twisted and sick to paint FLAT BLACK over a woodgrain like that.

At least yamaha had the sense to make the black over musashi oak a transparent color to show the grain.

What's next? Gloss neon lime wrap over waterfall bubinga?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Pioneer Member

yes, i agree. but that picture does the drum no justice. you can still clearly see the grain and it looks great with the black hardware.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
yes, i agree. but that picture does the drum no justice. you can still clearly see the grain and it looks great with the black hardware.
Do you go to Daddy's in Portsmouth, or into Manchester for drum gear?

I stopped by blue mtn guitar center in West Leb last july. They have quite a few yamaha kits.

Keller shells is in NH as well...
Old 12-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
Do you go to Daddy's in Portsmouth, or into Manchester for drum gear?

I stopped by blue mtn guitar center in West Leb last july. They have quite a few yamaha kits.

Keller shells is in NH as well...
if im buying i a big item (new kit, cymbals, snare) i go to the Drum Shop in Portland, ME. if im just going to get new heads or sticks, something like that, ill got to Earcraft in Dover, NH (about ten minutes away from somersworth). i hate going there though because the people who work there are absolute jerks and there prices are pretty high. Daddys i dont really like either, nor does my drum teacher, or other drummers and musicians ive talked to. i dont think they have the greatest stuff instock and i dont think the workers are very helpful or polite. never been to a place in Manchester. where is Keller shells located in NH?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
if im buying i a big item (new kit, cymbals, snare) i go to the Drum Shop in Portland, ME. if im just going to get new heads or sticks, something like that, ill got to Earcraft in Dover, NH (about ten minutes away from somersworth). i hate going there though because the people who work there are absolute jerks and there prices are pretty high. Daddys i dont really like either, nor does my drum teacher, or other drummers and musicians ive talked to. i dont think they have the greatest stuff instock and i dont think the workers are very helpful or polite. never been to a place in Manchester. where is Keller shells located in NH?
I thought daddy's (like the one in Vermont) was rinky dink. Advance music is the only real choice I have unless I drive out of state. Even then, Advance has some very young dudes on staff.

Keller shells:
P.O. Box 4105
41 Union Street
Manchester, NH

603-627-7887.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Thinshells, or anyone else who knows,

Sort of an arbitrary inquiry here, but figured this thread would be appropriate. I've always loved the sound of Chris Layton's snare (Stevie Ray Vaughn)...in particular the sound he has on the Instep album. If you've happened to hear his stuff, do you have any idea what he's playing?

Once I get my set cleaned up from storage and tuned up, I'd like to start adding on. A new snare is a must. I've always loved piccolos but for some reason, a deeper, warmer sound with a good pop is appealing too. I've done a lot of searches on Layton and can't really tell from any of the pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by WeatherKing; 12-18-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 PM
ClockworkOrange

WK, when I saw layton he was a Tama player, if memory serves me correctly.
He had a ludwig supra and a tama wood shell that he'd use alternately on stuff.

But, in the studio, all bets are off. Guys that endorse one company think nothing of using whatever gear will get a type of sound they're going for. ie Vinnie Coluita endorses gretsch, yet, uses a ludwig snare on stage and in the studio.

Oftentimes, unless you're in the studio at the time of recording, or the drummer says he used whatever, there's no way of really knowing.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange
WK, when I saw layton he was a Tama player, if memory serves me correctly.
He had a ludwig supra and a tama wood shell that he'd use alternately on stuff.

But, in the studio, all bets are off. Guys that endorse one company think nothing of using whatever gear will get a type of sound they're going for. ie Vinnie Coluita endorses gretsch, yet, uses a ludwig snare on stage and in the studio.

Oftentimes, unless you're in the studio at the time of recording, or the drummer says he used whatever, there's no way of really knowing.

Thanks for the info CO! That will give me a good starting point as far as testing out new snares when I get enough $ to buy. I've tried doing a search for Modern Drummer interviews where perhaps he's mentioned what he's used in the past. Maybe someone here has read those in the past somewhere. It's a long shot, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:33 AM

Any pork pie snare.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:40 PM

1st ever post!
Erm, iv only been drumming for a while and iv only played a few snares. i own a cheap kit and managed to break the snare drum that came with it. i then replaced it with a yamaha v power steel shelled monster. 14 inches across, 6.5 deep. it is so loud and has amazing attack and tone, you feel it as clearly as you hear it. it will hold up well in any type of music, i know because iv used it in everything from acoustic rock to heavy metal and every single time everyone i was playing with commented on how loud it was and how good it sounded. not bad considering i only paid £36 for it on ebay! however, its not very sensitive, and on ghost notes all you hear is the top skin, not the snare wires at all. still i love it and i think it was a great find! how i wish i could afford a new kit!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 AM

I like DW Snares maple Collecters series 5x14 and 5.5x12. Also i have a modern drumshop snare drum 5x14 that sounds awesome as well
Old 12-30-2005, 05:38 AM

My favorite all around snare is a Pearl Custom Z in Champagne birdseye maple finish. Though it's a rather thick maple ply shell, it was designed to behave very much like a solid. Very responsive at all volumes. Warm with dark overtones. 'Active' snare system makes for a real cutting crack. Think it was a pretty limited production run (early 90's) as I don't see them much.
Attached Images

Last edited by Loge; 01-06-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:40 AM

I Like The Looks Of Lars's Signature diamond plate snare
Old 12-30-2005, 05:54 AM
Loge
This message has been deleted by Loge. Reason: redundant
Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 PM

What is the point of buying a good snare? Doesn't it sometimes get to you that there is so much you will never be able to do in drumming...for example, play at the speed of light with one finger, or play along to an infinate number of completely different songs at different tempo's and time signatures and tuplet values, at the same time. You will never be able to play more than 4 different things at once without using electronics because you only have 4 limbs, or play so fast on the bass drum (even with double bass) that all your hits blend together to make a note of a definate pitch and you can play actual melodies on your bass drum (or any drum). You will never be able to even play a groove in exact timing, so you snare lands within the nano-micro-whatever second, right where it is meant to. The ultimate aim of any drummer should be to be able to control time itself, and it is something we will probably never achieve, so what is the point?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Well I dont quite see how your point relates to having a good snare or not.

Not every drummer plays as you describe. A crap snare sounds crap and a good snare sounds......good!
Snares are one of the most versatile drums sound wise as you can have so many combinations of heads, snares, tightness of snares, looseness of snares etc..

2 people could have the exact same snare but get 2 different sounds out of it. Thats why it makes sense to buy a decent quality snare.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:25 PM
KARL MEMBER

I think this snare is just great!!!
I have them! Very good price I think!
Attached Images

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Ludwig snares are usually fantastic in my opinion...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Pioneer Member

I had one of these before but it was stolen.

I am planning on buying another early next year.

Old 01-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Pioneer Member

I just bought a stainless steel Dunnett, 14x 6.5, and it sounds absolutley awesome. It has an amazing range and sweet tone.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:14 AM

The musashi line of snares(The whole 2 of em) are Great for the price!! for under 200...you really cannot go wrong!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Pearl Sensitone:

Hey, I am in the market for a new snare, and I'm thinking of buying a Pearl Sensitone Snare. I was wondering about peoples opinions, and for the people who have heard or played to let me know if it would be a good buy. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:24 AM

Default New snare

hey everybody i was thinking about getting a new snare . i want a yamaha but i dont know what snare i should get. i was thinking about the musashi but im not sure

thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Slayer_metal_head

Default Re: New snare

Hey man do you want a smaller snare or a 14" or 15"?

The firecrackers are good for smaler snares im going to buy one sooner or later!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:19 AM

no i was looking for a 14inch snare not a side snare
Old 01-02-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumaddict21
hey everybody i was thinking about getting a new snare . i want a yamaha but i dont know what snare i should get. i was thinking about the musashi but im not sure

thanks
The 13"musashi sounds better than Any snare in its class imo. you should really check it out...maybe have a local shop order it for ya and then try it out there. But for the price...it Really is amazing !!!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:55 PM

I love my Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage. It has those new nouvue lugs. GREAT SOUD
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 AM

Anyone ever hear of Sonic snare drums? Me neither. But what a nice surprise! I started a thread about it here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...2699#post62699

Last edited by Sparkletone; 01-13-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 PM

i bought a "PACIFIC DRUMS AND PERCUSSION SNARE series 805" it's GREAT !!!!

i love it, it has a very pure and clear sound

if u don't know... PDP is a sub-brand of "DW drums"

Mateo Toro Pińeros - Bogota Colombia 57-2714275
Old 01-14-2006, 10:53 PM

All of you have very nice snare drums. They are fun to collect but have a funny way of getting expensive real quick. My favorite snare is my 1962 Rogers Dynasonic. Maple shell and bread and butter lugs (for you collectors out there) with steel grey ripple wrap. Found it (and the matching 13/16/20 kit) in a guy's barn - no joke. When I make money I will collect more vintage snares.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:22 PM

My £500 ludwig 400!

(Insert 20 Characters here)
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Stu_Strib

I am in the minority in that I have a main snare sound I look for on any and all things I play, and then a secondary smaller snare.

All my drummer friends have tens of snare drums. I sold two recently, so I'm down to <<GASP!>> one snare drum.

I understand the whole "different voice" thing, but for me, a good voice goes a long way on any recording, for any style of music. The aux snare is for those rare moments I want a different sound.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Pioneer Member

I'd say, be cool. Take Gretsch Round Badge. Ebay's full of 'em, and man, they SOUND ! Doesn't matter what size, they just have 'the thang'. Of course not for all types of music.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:17 PM

soon to be released are the new Bleifuss Boutique Aluminator snares!! UNREAL - one of the very finest snares I have ever played. Paul's got several in production at the moment and they should be available soon!! I'll post some pics when I can get them!

All the best!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Any Dunnett snare is awesome. Also this snare called Sonic, it's all maple with die cast hoops. All for 89$ canadian.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:29 AM

Default Re: ludwig supraphonic questions

I have been casting about for quite a while for a good metal snare, and after much shopping around and dithering, I think I have settled on the snare that I want: a 6.5 in Ludwig supraphonic. But I need some advice.
First, I love the sound Bonham got, and I'm told other rock drummers with sounds I like (like Alex Van Halen) also play Supraphonics.
But I understand they're not all the same. For example, some are made with brass with a chrome finish -- is that correct? I just want to know what model to get if I want that nice, deep, cracking sound that Bonham and Van Halen get.
And how much should I pay? I'm seeing used snares in the $300 range on ebay, but they are typically vintage 70s snares, and many have pitting. How much should I pay for a new one?
I live in Canada, and it looks like our import taxes are a hell of a lot higher than the U.S., because a new Ludwig supraphonic here will cost me more than $600 Canadian (about $516 U.S.)
Any Canadians out there know any American music dealers who will ship a snare to Canada so that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg?
One other question: is there another snare that gets the same kind of sound that won't break me financially that you would recommend?
Any advice much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 AM

try those yamaha signature snares, alittle expensice tho. check out the Steve Gadd or Davis Garibsldi models
Old 01-31-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum4Food
I use 2 different snare types , its all about the mood.
How do the longer snares like the pictures of the ones u posted sound like?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:06 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a Ludwig s402 superphonic and sounds great!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 AM

Here is the aim!