DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-13-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

This is my first post on the site and i have to say that there are alot of beautiful snare drums out there.I have been drumming for over 25 years and choosing a snare drum is definitly alot harder now as there are so many choices.My advice would be to go to all the drum shops in the area and try them out.I just got my snare drum 2 days ago from the u.s(i live in canada)and for all you canadians out there,i have to let you know that i saved about 300.00 dollars buying it from the u.s.The drum is a 6 1/2" black panther hand hammered phosphor bronze snare drum and it is the wickedest sounding snare i have ever heard.It's got a high end crack and is definitly a loud snare.I also have a 6 1/2" black panther deep forest cherry snare with 24 karat gold hardware on it's way.I'll stick with black panthers.If you are going to try a bunch of snares do try the black panthers,i don't think you will be dissapointed,but thats just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:11 PM

I personally love black panthers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I havent seen many posts of people saying they like em as much as me! What is with you guys!

DW Edge also

Oh yeah, and pearl innovations, although the promotional video has dennis chambers showing off WAY too much

Always seeing the glass as half empty,

Giantantreal
Old 10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Thinshells

I wouldn't mind a Tempus carbon fiber or fiberglass. The shells are something like 3mm thick, very resonant, warm and loud.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:06 PM

hey everyone, im new here and i was just looking round the threads, i was going to buy a mmx snare but after reading this thread im begining to have second thoughts, no one seems to rate them as one they'd buy, for that kinda money what else do u think i should be lookin at? i play rock and like a sensitive snare

thank you
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Dave99

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummertilidie
I just got my snare drum 2 days ago from the u.s(i live in canada)and for all you canadians out there,i have to let you know that i saved about 300.00 dollars buying it from the u.s.The drum is a 6 1/2" black panther hand hammered phosphor bronze snare drum and it is the wickedest sounding snare i have ever heard.It's got a high end crack and is definitly a loud snare.
Hey - I just bought the exact same Black Panther hammered phosphor bronze snare from Steve's Music in Ottawa. I paid their regular price, $400 CAD (not MSRP), which is on par with any American price I've seen on-line except no shipping or brokerage nonsense. They have shops in Toronto and Montreal as well and is my no-brainer one-stop place for all my gear.

I was a little skeptical about the this "Black Panther" thing but I put it head to head against ten other snare drums at the same price point or higher and it was the most versatile and sensitive snare drum hands down - even compared to a Pearl free-floating maple picolo and a Tama picolo. It also had the most playable dynamic range - that linear feeling of being able to play at all volume levels from ghost notes to super loud. Other drums felt like they didn't have as much in between volume levels. I was kinda surprised at the end of the day but I went for the sound not the name brand recognition.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:49 PM

I have a Black panther which i cant find any where, not even on t'interweb!

It is a 14x6.5 black panther, but it was in the wrong packaging because someone mucked it up at the warehouse (which was good because with the shoddy labeling plus my brother's discount at drummer live, i payed £90 instead of £350)

It had egyptian heiroglyphs all over the side, and it is solid steel and i cant find it anywhere!

could anyone tell me the model number or details if they know?

thanx
Old 11-09-2005, 02:33 AM

Here my favorites:
  1. DW 5 x 14 Aluminum with the Nickelworks/MTM Kit and this drum ROCKS!!
  2. DW 4 x 14" Collectors' with the Nickelworks/MTM kit
  3. Pearl FFS 3 - 1/2 x 14 Brass Snare Drum
  4. DW 3 - 1/2 x 14 Collectors' with the Nickelworks/MTM kit - this is an older snare - most likely pre-96
  5. 1966 5 x 14 Ludwig - who hasn't owned one of these?
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 AM

wondering if anyone knows anything about the chad smith sig snare or the stewart copeland sig, bcuz those snares interest me, or if u know of any other sweet snare drums in the 150-350 dollar price range that i shuld look into, thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 AM

hey, i wuz looking into the chad smith or stewart copeland sig snares, and i wuz wondering if anyone had played them and could tell me about them, or if anyone knows of any other good solid snare drums in the 150-350 dollar range that i shuld look into, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 AM

I am currently playing a Ludwig Acrolite 14" x 5" Snare Drum with the Evans ST Dry head and I love its sound. It's very reminiscent of Dave Krusen's snare from Pearl Jam's first album, Ten. I'm looking to upgrade it though. Of all the snare sounds I've heard my favorites would have to be Dave Abbruzzesse's snares. Songs like Glorified G on Vs. define he sound I want out of my snare. I know he favored 12" x 7" Brady Snare Drums. He was a recording genius though I mean almost a different snare sound for every song on Vs. Listen to Go, then Animal, then Glorified G, and then Rearviewmirror all of those are differences in snare sounds that were not caused by a simple head replacement or electronic touch-ups or alternate tuning.

I am looking for that Glorified G Dave Abbruzzeese snare sound ot the This Is not for You snare sound. I know there are studio variables but I've heard enough live performances of dave to confirm that what he played is around what I'm looking for. Though I tend to lean towards steel snares because i like their high end attack and focus Abbruzzesse's useda 12” x 7” Jarrah Block Snare, a 12” x 7” Sheoak Block Snare, and a 14” x 8” Jarrah Ply/White Gimlet Basketweave Snare all made by Brady which are way expensive since I would have to order it directly from Australia.

I've been looking into Joey Jordison's signature model which is 13" x 6.5" and I'm drawn to it though I feel it's almost too focused as much as I loike focused snare sounds I like a small amount of resonance rather than none at all. If anyone can tell me what they think of Joey's snare or give me any other ideas or suggestions as to something similar to Dave's I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the lengthy post i tend to babble.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 AM

Hey Im looking for a new snare around the 300-500 dollar price range and i need some suggestions please. Hey drummertilidie let me know what you think of the 6 1/2" black panther deep forest cherry
Old 11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Thinshells

Ok... here is what I found this month:

I really, really like my Pork Pie pig lite acrylic 6x14" snare. it does everything very well.

I found a snare that just rips the eyelids off my yamaha mususahi oak (13x6.5)

That's the Pork Pie pig lite 13x6 snare. OMG.... tuning range, power, projection and warmth totally rock!

This is a snare that I liked better than Craviatto solid shell snares.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Thinshells

Update: I have ordered a Tempus woven carbon fiber snare, 6.5x14" in red glitter. $365.

I will post pictures of the actual drum when I get it.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

I am currently playing a p.o.s. Peavey snare, but I'm looking to replace it with a Yamaha Musashi, or a Joey Jordison Sig. The JJ Sig is so nice and has a great snap sound, with the bite of a piccillo (wrong spelling) at the end. The Yamaha Musashi is just my hands down favorite snare I've heard.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian_dude101
The Yamaha Musashi is just my hands down favorite snare I've heard.
That's my side snare now. It is an amazing snare. And the price: Under $250 for that thing!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 AM

I think pearl make the best piccalo snares and the free floating system makes the snare sound ace
Old 12-09-2005, 10:11 AM

I heard that free floater recently at a local club.
I was so supprised by it's sound... fat! ...with lots of snap.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:47 PM

Default SNARE HELP

Hey everyone,

im only 14 but iu have been playing the drums for 3 year now and im ready for a new snare drum, The current snare drum come with a Mapex Pro M series kit which is pretty well.....crappy. Would enyone know a snare drum i could buy with a very crisp/sharp sound?

Thanks

Michael
Old 12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: SNARE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsy911
Hey everyone,

im only 14 but iu have been playing the drums for 3 year now and im ready for a new snare drum, The current snare drum come with a Mapex Pro M series kit which is pretty well.....crappy. Would enyone know a snare drum i could buy with a very crisp/sharp sound?

Thanks

Michael
1) $199 13x.6.5 Yamaha musashi oak

2) $199 14x6 Pork Pie pig lite

3) Mapex black panther (pick one)

4) $340 Tempus carbon fiber 14x6.5
Old 12-16-2005, 01:09 PM

thx for dat man, correct me if im wrong but i heard there are types of snare drums called piccolo snares and apparently there give a very crisp sharp sound if so could u please recommend some to me

thnx alot
Old 12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsy911
thx for dat man, correct me if im wrong but i heard there are types of snare drums called piccolo snares and apparently there give a very crisp sharp sound if so could u please recommend some to me

thnx alot
Yamaha musashi oak 12x 6. Also, all the above companies have piccolo.

The yamaha is one of the most crisp and focused snares at any price.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Pioneer Member

I have 13x3 Pearl Maple piccolo. Remo coated Ambassador on top and clear Ambassador on the bottom.

I have to spend a little time getting it tuned right when changing the heads but once I do I get a nice, sharp crack from it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:52 PM

thx alot guys....there also s a song by Renée Geyer called shakey ground i dont no if u guys have herd of it but the snare drum sound in that s the one im afta (also the whole drumkit has a beautiful sound to it) and yeh if u herd it u prob no wot mi tlkin bout.

thnks guys
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

How do you rate the Black Panther's Thinshells? This is a distant idea of mine, but you know the circle of gear improvement; there's always something new you want.

Last edited by mediocrefunkybeat; 12-16-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat
How do you rate the Black Panther's Thinshells? This is a distant idea of mine, but you know the circle of gear improvment; there's always something new you want.
The few that I have tried were *magnificent*

My hands down favorite is the precious metal hammered phosphor bronze. I have to keep telling myself that I have enough snares. That one is next on my hitlist so to speak.

The deep forest cherry and walnut had a dry, mellow sound but they were sweet! And the gold lug on cherry is totally gorgeous.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'll have one of your snares; if you're running out of space for them that is ;-). Well when I can drive and have some money to spare I'll definately be trying out a few snares down in London; see what I can get. My stock snare is ok; it just doesn't have the sensitivity I would prefer, it sounds a bit too harsh as well. I'm using a Hazy 300 and an Ambassador combination.

Could a brass or bronze wire help? Or would a 42 strand wire be more suited? I've seen a 42 strand Tama wire on sale and it was a reasonable price. Worth further consideration?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
I'll have one of your snares; if you're running out of space for them that is ;-). Well when I can drive and have some money to spare I'll definately be trying out a few snares down in London; see what I can get. My stock snare is ok; it just doesn't have the sensitivity I would prefer, it sounds a bit too harsh as well. I'm using a Hazy 300 and an Ambassador combination.

Could a brass or bronze wire help? Or would a 42 strand wire be more suited? I've seen a 42 strand Tama wire on sale and it was a reasonable price. Worth further consideration?
Bronze and brass made my ludwig sound darker. Something like the puresound blaster will give it more bite, and the 42 strand would help.

Note: high end snares of 16 and 20 strand blow away almost all stock snares that have more strands. I have dynamicx 20 strand on my yamaha, and they are as crispy as all get out. And more resistant to sympathetic buzz.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

How about changing the snare side head to say, a Hazy 200? Volume isn't really a concern. How much difference would that make? God I feel like a newbie. In all honesty, I cannot tune a snare well for toffee.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
How about changing the snare side head to say, a Hazy 200? Volume isn't really a concern. How much difference would that make? God I feel like a newbie. In all honesty, I cannot tune a snare well for toffee.
The hazy 300 has a slight decrease in sensitivity for the payoff of a fatter sound and less buzz. best for rock/prog/pop

The hazy 200 is more sensitive, and appropriate for jazz and classical.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:21 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Better wires it is. Right now I'm trying to play classic rock alá cream and occasionally jazz-rock, so I'll stick with the 300 for versatility. How much do you pay for a good set over there out of interest?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Better wires it is. Right now I'm trying to play classic rock alá cream and occasionally jazz-rock, so I'll stick with the 300 for versatility. How much do you pay for a good set over there out of interest?
Anywhere from $19.95-$50
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Depressing really; always works out to a hell of a lot more over here. Well that'll definately be something to buy with my Christmas money, a new set of snare wires. I'll probably go 42, it'll only ever be an improvement. Thanks mate.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Depressing really; always works out to a hell of a lot more over here. Well that'll definately be something to buy with my Christmas money, a new set of snare wires. I'll probably go 42, it'll only ever be an improvement. Thanks mate.
Don't forget to post findings... I will be interested , because I have never heard a tamburo snare.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'll post a quick recording up sometime soon. Just give you a rough idea of what I'm playing on. It's a decent snare, Poplar/Ash mix seems to work quite well and the throw off is quite nice, it has a nice fat sound from it but this is often juxtaposed with quite a lot of brightness. Nice if you can tune it I suppose.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
I'll post a quick recording up sometime soon. Just give you a rough idea of what I'm playing on. It's a decent snare, Poplar/Ash mix seems to work quite well and the throw off is quite nice, it has a nice fat sound from it but this is often juxtaposed with quite a lot of brightness. Nice if you can tune it I suppose.
I just dug this interesting info up about ash:
White Ash is 105% as hard as red oak (AFAIK red oak is what Yamaha uses for the musashi oak) (1320 on the Janka scale vs.1260 for red oak)
Poplar is only 540.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Yeah, I found that the other day. What I should do is work out the 'average' hardness, I suppose it works out somewhere like 900. I would like maple, but Ash/Poplar has a nice sound to it. Next time around I'm going for G2s to try and get a thunderous tuning. The bass drum is very nice, got a real 'thump' to it, but it's tuned very low. A powerstroke 3 came with the kit and that's what I'm using.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Yeah, I found that the other day. What I should do is work out the 'average' hardness, I suppose it works out somewhere like 900. I would like maple, but Ash/Poplar has a nice sound to it. Next time around I'm going for G2s to try and get a thunderous tuning. The bass drum is very nice, got a real 'thump' to it, but it's tuned very low. A powerstroke 3 came with the kit and that's what I'm using.
Sounds like a "turbocharged" pearl export snare. Poplar gets extra bite from the ash. The material on the inside ply will be the predominant sound. Poplar does sound warm, it's not bad- but the ash will help it project better to be sure.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'm not sure on the ply arrangement, that's something I can't find out, I would think it's the ash though. It's not a deep snare at all, it's a 14" X 5" IIRC the Pearl Export snares I've used are 14" X 6" or 6.5" but you're probably not referring to the mid-nineties Steel ones.

I hate the Pearl Export Steel Snare with a passion.

My Tamburo has a very powerful rimshot. Christ; talk about hijacking a thread! Sorry people!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
I'm not sure on the ply arrangement, that's something I can't find out, I would think it's the ash though. It's not a deep snare at all, it's a 14" X 5" IIRC the Pearl Export snares I've used are 14" X 6" or 6.5" but you're probably not referring to the mid-nineties Steel ones.

I hate the Pearl Export Steel Snare with a passion.

My Tamburo has a very powerful rimshot. Christ; talk about hijacking a thread! Sorry people!
I think the ash (at least in part) is on the outside. The grain will give it away, because poplar has very little. The best arrangement would be ash--poplar-ash.

I was thinking more about the export drums than snare, but my thinking's muddled due to a hangover.

Anyway, I hate the vast majority of steel snares. They are too harsh in the near field for me.

Hey! I just noticed the bright Paisano's at tamburo are using yamaha-style hardware... big thumbs up!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:21 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I agree, I was very surprised to find that this kit had a wooden snare, I was very pleased when I found out. Just saw it in a music shop and inspected it and well; the rest speaks for itself. Anyway, anyone who wants a slightly different kit with some good features should check it out. Well built (not as good as Sonor or Yamaha, but hey). And actually damn versatile too.

Oh and yes, the hardware is great. I love the tom mounts, so versatile and easy to use. All the right bits are there and it feels very solid indeed.

Right; enough plugging Tamburo. They should pay me for all the publicity I do.