DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Double or Single Pedal...

Hello, i have been playing drums for almost 2 years and i am contemplating on moving from a single bass pedal to a double bass pedal. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info in the different double bass pedals out there and if it would be better to just stick with a single bass pedal? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Guinness

Default Re: Double or Single Pedal...

It wouldn't hurt you at all to buy a double pedal and at least figure out how to play with it. I own an Iron Cobra double and a DW9000 single pedal and hardly use my IC at all during a performance due to the fact that my current band doesn't play any songs that require the use of double bass. They are fun to play with and it never hurts to build up chops even if you don't get to use them at every available performance. If you ever land a gig with a metal band you will most certainly be required to have double bass chops. I say go for it!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta be at least 15 zillion threads on this, or at least 5. What pedal do you play now? Do you want to upgrade? How much money do you want to spend? All double pedals I've ever played, if I take my left foot off the pedal and put it on the hi-hat, I suddenly find myself playing a single pedal. Or something similar to one. So you kinda get the best of both worlds. On the other hand, if you're one of those cats who are gonna run around saying double-pedal players are "cheaters". Hey, have a Speed King. Get your feet to a drum shop and play every pedal they got. See what you like. I'm a Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive driver myself. I run 1 or 2 single pedals, depending on what's going on. (I play acoustic and electric) If I was going to buy a double pedal, it would be a Yamaha FDDD. And welcome to Drummerworld, by the way.

Last edited by harryconway; 12-29-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 PM

i play a dw 7000 series single pedal i am going to upgrade soon to a better dw series and i never play a double unless its on somebody elses kit

i play pop music though and a double would never be needed

there is nothing more anoying to me then a drummer that sort of plays double
Old 12-29-2006, 11:43 PM

I've got a DW 7002 double pedal, and I hardly use it at all compared to how much I use the stock single pedal that came with Mapex kit. As cool as being good at double pedal is, to me, being that good with a single pedal is much cooler. People like Jojo Mayer and Josh Eppard who do double pedal things with a single pedal are the people I look up to, but thats just me.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 AM

ldwset05, it depends if you feel like the music you want to play requires you to have a double bassdrum pedal. Ok, I mean, popdrummers can have a double pedal too, but it's less likely I guess. I don't play heavy metal but more rockish but some songs of my band can get pretty heavy, and with my new double pedal (got it this christmas). Wow, I suddenly can do something 'heavy metal' there, haha. I think double pedal is a nice extra thing but if you don't have one you're not missing anything mayor really, but, if you feel like you really want one, go for it.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Try this thread http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4016
Old 12-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

Just listen to our masters before us! One foot one hand. Still teaching us all.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Pioneer Member

one foot two hands maybe, as well?...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 AM

Harryconway.. i have about 300 dollars. Enough for the Iron Cobra.. however i have played my friends and i really don't see much use for it unless i am going to be in a metal band. I love metal but as some of the other members said i can play some stuff with a single that people can play with a double. Except for the extremely fast beats. My style does lean little to wards metal but i also enjoy playing just about every style. I was wondering if there is a single pedal on the market that would allow me to play fast beats such as a double or is it just safe to say that a double would be the way to go?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

The Dualist pedal and one of the Sonor pedals come to mind as single pedals that can preform double pedal functions. However, you open up a whole new can of worms with those because they require different foot techniques. Certainly, your style of playing will determine whether you need a double-pedal. Some cats use them constantly. Some guys, only for fills and arena rock endings. $300 is enough to get a really good pedal. Remember, try as many pedals as you can. Lots of cats on this forum play IC's, and quite a few jumped ship for the Yamaha FDDD. You may wind up liking a pedal that costs way less. I hear the Vex is very good, for around $100.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:16 AM
Administrator

If you arent sure, look at www.vexdrums.com. they have a double pedal that matches more than most of the highpriced pedals for 99 bucks shipped. If you dont like a double pedal you havent blown a wad of cash. I bought one and love it.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

All i can say is...when you need a huge finish too a song, roll on that bass.
I bought one to try and build up some chops but never got around to it so half the time it sits there.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:00 PM

hmmm....
i've got three bass drums, so i have both :-P
2x dw 5000
1x pearl P-101P
Old 01-13-2007, 05:00 PM

double bass nvr hurt anyone, theres tons of stuff you can do with it.
i would recommend the dw 7000 double pedal, with the new upgrades its pretty close to the dw 5000. but if your not on a budget i would reccomend the dw 5000 and the 9000's. iron cobras are pretty awesome too. i did find the ones i tried (iron cobras) to be alil wobbly. maybe it was just the ones i tried.

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldwset05 View Post
Harryconway.. i have about 300 dollars. Enough for the Iron Cobra.. however i have played my friends and i really don't see much use for it unless i am going to be in a metal band. I love metal but as some of the other members said i can play some stuff with a single that people can play with a double. Except for the extremely fast beats. My style does lean little to wards metal but i also enjoy playing just about every style. I was wondering if there is a single pedal on the market that would allow me to play fast beats such as a double or is it just safe to say that a double would be the way to go?
you sound a lot like me, some firends tell me i can play single peddle decentlly fast(enough to aobut 8ths) yet i got a DW 7000 dubble bass peddle it was around 180$ for me (they guy knocked it down 30$ for me =D) and, it was a great buy i think, very smooth and sterdy.

and from my view point. theres no reason NOT to learn everythign you can about your instrament. I really don;t use the doubble peddle that much but even so, i;'m glad i have it incase i get a gig or into a band where they want some 16ths or you know whatever.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:56 AM

Basiclay

Doubles a great for trying new stuff out. Like fast 16th notes, tripplet and reli adding tht extra dimension 2 ur playing! and ignore anyone who says "double is cheating" cos its not. Its like saying u have 2 hands and using 2 is cheating :P

basiclay i wud but a semi pro one. One of the best is the pearl P-120 i think. Cheap and pretty good! type in Double Bass Pedal in on ebay!!

and another thing...if u have a double pedal, ur hihat is always there if u wana go back 2 single!! so u get the choice =]

Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 AM
da cheese walks

im kinda in your same situation...but i kinda think you(and me!) should work on single bass techniques,and get them down....triplets,doubles etc. with one foot...then go onto double bass...

i just see too many videos on youtube of guys playin doubles in a song thats about 45Bpm with a double bass pedal....the simplest thing one can do with their feet,and these guys go to the double bass pedal...just because theyre dependant on it...?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryBuchanan View Post
Basiclay

Doubles a great for trying new stuff out. Like fast 16th notes, tripplet and reli adding tht extra dimension 2 ur playing! and ignore anyone who says "double is cheating" cos its not. Its like saying u have 2 hands and using 2 is cheating :P

basiclay i wud but a semi pro one. One of the best is the pearl P-120 i think. Cheap and pretty good! type in Double Bass Pedal in on ebay!!

and another thing...if u have a double pedal, ur hihat is always there if u wana go back 2 single!! so u get the choice =]
YES i have that pedal, but I might get rid of it (not soon) for maybe a DW9000 single, cause during songs i dont double at all really.

As I said before, Big finishes is all i use it for.

Last edited by maddrummr; 01-20-2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: red