DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-24-2006, 10:03 AM

Default A few electronic kit questions

I'm thinking of getting an electronic kit so I can practice more often. I did some research on e-kits before I bought my acoustic, and I pretty much decided on Hart Dynamics drums with a Roland brain.

But the specific drums are difficult to choose. For example I know I want the pro snare, but does it make a big difference whether or not you get dual triggering on the toms and the bass drum? Are the Acupad toms better/worse than the full-shell toms? I've heard that the ECymbal II's are very loud due to the plastic/metallic coating - are the ECymbal S's better for quiet practice?

And it would be good to hear some opinions from Hart Dynamics owners/users about what you think of your equipment.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: A few electronic kit questions

i bought the prosnare and prokick just for the looks. acupads for the toms to save money. there is no difference triggering wise between the pro pads and the acupads. same guts, just a different shell. as far as dual trigger toms, i personally dont use the rim triggers much. mainly just for cowbell or a percussion sound on certain kits. and with regards to cymbals, i play all roland cymbals. the hart crashs are loud. it's a thwacking sound. kinda like hitting a frisbee.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:45 PM

I had a Yamaha DTXTREMEIIS and sold it before the waranty expired. I had a lot of trouble from module, pads and cymbals. I waited 2 months for two parts to be fixed at yamaha depot. One of the part ( cymbal ) return to me with the same problem ( chooking for nothing ). Anyway it's gone now and I just bought a Roland TD-10 module and building my own kit by hands. Really less expensive. Imagine, one Roland two zones pad is approx 300 to 350$. Mines have the same sensitivity for less than 30$. There is a lot of site on the web to explain how to do. Think about that...
Old 12-26-2006, 12:26 AM

Shoot - does the clicky cymbal problem extend to Hart Dynamics' Studio Hats? Their hats & stand are so much cheaper than Roland ...
Old 12-26-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Shoot - does the clicky cymbal problem extend to Hart Dynamics' Studio Hats? Their hats & stand are so much cheaper than Roland ...
the hart hi-hat and ride cymbal have a rubber pad mounted over part of the pad (those two pads are metal, not plastic) so you can play on the rubber or metal section. i've heard a lot of people who have played both the hart hi-hat setup and the roland vh-12 say that they prefered the hart. i've never played the hart, but the vh-12 is very nice. still havent figured out which one to buy.....
Old 12-26-2006, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnik View Post
There is a lot of site on the web to explain how to do. Think about that...
I'm pretty incompetent at building things. But I searched and found a step-by-step document on how to build your own pads. I'd try it, but the plans are only for practice pad heads (rubber or the drum-like Remo material).

Mine would _have_ to be mesh heads. The whole reason I need them is for quiet. So given the principles involved - hitting a solid head to transfer vibration to the piezo - it doesn't seem it would work in such a straightforward manner with a mesh head ... did you look into this, or just go with the solid-head design?
Old 12-26-2006, 12:54 PM

beatnik isn't kidding about how easy it is to build an e-kit (even with mesh heads). i got started with e's by converting an acoustic kit to an electronic/ mesh head kit. i do have a step by step guide online on how its done, but unfortunately it is on a site that is down due to hackers at the moment....in any case, i bought hart pads because the pads that i built triggered well, but not nearly as well as the hart pads. now the conversion kits in the attic.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 AM

I have a Yamaha DTXIII special kit....
And I actually really like the rebound and the silentness of the pads and cymbals...
I like the feel of the Hi Hat control pedal... I have zero problems with software and hardware... On stage use real cymbals+hi hats as well as the electrics, I am a bit dissapointed in the crash cymbals and the Hi Hat, but all the other components sound
great... And it has a very soild rack, and lightweight
Old 12-27-2006, 11:44 AM

I went to El Guitarra Centro today and checked out the on-floor models. My disorganized impressions follow.

One thing that disappoints me is that Sam Ash & GC don't carry Hart Dynamics. But I got to try out Yamaha & Roland.

The DTXExpress thing - the cheap set for Yamaha - didn't feel good at all to me, and it looks quite a bit like a kid's toy. There was another low-price brand, like Samson or something, that was pretty crap. After that it was all Roland.

Roland's rubber-pad kits - and I imagine any rubber-pad kits - are, well, rubber. It felt very weird playing them for the obvious reasons plus it was so simple to get rebounds off the bass drum that I could do machine-gun beats just by wiggling my toes.

So rubber is out. Natural drumhead or non-rubber practice pad surface would be nice, but too loud. That pretty much leaves mesh.

The TD-12 and TD-20's were set up, and frankly they're both out right away for price. MAD sticker shock. But I played on both, and the TD-12 is way too small. On the plus side, it would probably help make me a more accurate drummer. But I felt like a giant sitting behind that thing.

The TD-20 is nice. I think Hart's drums, well below the TD-20's price, look nicer. The mesh surface was pretty easy to get used to - the ability to adjust the tension is good, and I imagine with some adjustment I could get very, very close to my actual drum feel. Certainly closer than my drums with the HQ mutes on. And the actual hi-hat made a BIG difference. The hi-hat triggers felt completely off to me.

So with the TD-20 out of my price range (and most Roland parts as well), I'm definitely going Hart Dynamics, and definitely mesh head, for the drums. I have to say I liked the Roland cymbals. But I may go HD to save a few bucks on those as well. The real choice is, do I commit the extra $$$ for a full set, or make my own toms? Guess I'll keep looking for some info about how to make mesh-head electric drums to try to answer that one.

Final note: the Roland TD-12 and TD-20 brains really didn't impress me. I don't know how many special features I missed, but I don't think I liked more than two of the presets. For all the basic needs - dual triggering on snares/toms (cymbals?) etc - will the TD-6V, or something cheaper, be sufficient?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:31 AM

coolnames- big reply to your PM.

the kits in guitar canter are so sad. the pads are set up wrong, the trigger settings are usually all messed up (probably why the hi-hat wasn't performing properly. and the td-20 brain is deep. there's an almost endless amount of stuff that can be done in there. and the cosm modeling is brilliant. there is a company called v-expressions that program kits for the roland brains that are miles better than the lousy sounding kits roland has on there. you can literally get any drum sound you want.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM

It takes a few hours of mucking around to adjust trigger, volume and all the sounds for each pad and cymbal to get the best out of an electric kit... But just about anything is possible from them... If someone is really into their acoustic kits, I don't recommend an E kit as they will never be the same... Gotta have both
Old 12-30-2006, 06:05 AM

brokenhalo - thanks again for all the info.

I was actually trying to convince myself that the TD-12 and TD-20 were trash so I could force myself to stick to a budget ... jerks! :-P

But yeah they're pretty much awesome. It's a shame that the prices are so incredibly high. Seems like there should be more competition in that field.

As far as realism - I'm not an e-drummer. No offense to e-drummers, but I just want to improve my practice and give my family and neighbors some more quiet time. My only concerns about realism are that the kit play and sound as close as possible to my acoustic set, but in the end it is just a simulation.