DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-22-2006, 09:02 PM

Default snare batter

I recently just broke the head on my snare, it was an Aquarian Satin Classic Texture Coated head, I was wondering (since this is the only head I have ever broken in 5 years) if there are any other single ply heads that are more durable. I know of the ambassador and the g1, so I was just wondering what you guys thought of these heads on snares.

sorry I meant to say batter but typed in side, just to let you know.

Last edited by tmv31; 12-22-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Snare Side

Ambassadors work very very nice on my Pacific Mx maple kit. I havent really used anything else because the ambassador works that well : )
Old 12-22-2006, 10:08 PM

If it is the only head you have broken in 5 years, the durability must be good! mabye i read it wrong :S
Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Pioneer Member

5 years is not a durability issue at all. You got your $13-$14 worth and then some. I've used both Coated ambassadors and Coated G1 the only durablity I've noticed is in how long the coating lasts. The evans coating in my honest opinion is much, much better than the remo. Either one will last as long as the Aquarian head you just broke.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:25 AM

I've had it for about a year, which is still decent. I just wanna see if an ambassador or other head would be a better choice before I buy another head. I know its mostly preference but just seeing some other's opinions before I buy, thanks for the posts and keep 'em comin
Old 12-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

ALSO.... Buy both if you have like 35 bucks, try em both now and it will save you time later on deciding.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 PM

Oh i get it now!

Well i have always used coaded ambassadors because they are quite warm and work well in the high tension range.

But i think i will change to an evans genera for the slight muffling and better coating.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:31 AM

I was using an Evans Genera HD, but due to the ring around the edge it doesnt have that same ring that I like so I switched to a single ply. Are the standard generas more dead than an ambassador?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:44 AM

Like some already said, you got your moneys worth and durabitity is no issue.
If you actually had it on that long, which would be amazing, it should have been changed years ago. I have one snare and I like to change the head every 6 months or so. And Im using a controlled sound w/black dot, and its pretty durable.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 12-24-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmv31 View Post
I was using an Evans Genera HD, but due to the ring around the edge it doesnt have that same ring that I like so I switched to a single ply. Are the standard generas more dead than an ambassador?
I havent yet personally tried the genera (not to be confused with the g1) on my snare yet but if you look on the evans website, it says they have a built is muffle ring, but aren't 2ply like the HD, more like the remo powerstroke 3's. I hope they aren't two different from my coated ambassador as i liked the sound, but found myself using a home made muffle ring (cut out of an old snare reso) most of the time anyway.

heres the link:
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=12

Last edited by rhydianjlewis; 12-24-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Pioneer Member

It's a single ply head with a built in zero ring. Both the G1 and Genera are 10 mil heads
Old 12-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Pioneer Member

I've used most of the Evans snare batters and like them a lot.

The GI is a single ply, very open sounding head. It rings and has plenty of crack.

The Power Center and Reverse Power Center are similar to the G1 but with a reinforcement dot in the center of the head. An open sounding head that is just slightly dryer than a GI.

The Genera is basically the same head as the G1 with a muffling ring attached to the underside of the head. It will be somewhat dryer that the G1.

The Genera Dry is the Genera with the addition on small vents around the outer circumference of the head. The vents bleed of high frequencies and produce a very dry sound. Little or no ring depending on the shell.

The Genera HD Dry is a two ply version, Has a dryer and meatier sound than the single ply version. Enhanced low end.

For ringy metal drums the dry heads will tame them down quite a bit. I like the Reverse Power Center on wood drums and sometimes a G1 on the smaller diameters.

HTH
Old 12-24-2006, 11:35 PM

Thanks steady fready, that helped alot. Im thinking the G1 would be most similar in sound and feel to the Aquarian. I have coated g2's on my toms. im not really concerned about the durability issue, because like some said, I got my moneys worth. I will also be replacing the snare side head as well so my question is, what are the differences between hazy and glass heads? thanks for all the responses.