DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Which Bass Pedal??

Hello, I am looking to replace my current double bass pedal as it is uneven and falling apart =/

I am looking to spend about 200 (definately no more than 250) on a pedal. I was just wondering what you guys would reccomend.

I play mostly Heavy Metal/Prog and need a pedal that is Hard wearing and versatile.

At the moment I have only seen one pedal which takes my fancy (DW 7000 Pedals) but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other good brands/models I should take a look at.

Thanks.

James

(BTW I'm new to these forums.)
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Which Bass Pedal??

I dont knwo pricing in american or british dollars, but here are my picks, pedals which are available in australia:

Sonor Single chain - ultra smooth motion, played one of these earlier tonight a at a gig. Being only single chain, it isnt AS solid as a double chain, but then again, hey, ive never broken a single chain pedal before.

Mapex Janus Double - Affordable, functional and versatile. This is the pedal i own, it is sturdy, thick and well made, hardly had any problems with it, none that werent fixed by minor tightening or some oil lubricant.

Cheap no name 'tjw double' - I sell these at my music shop. For the price, these are the sturdiest, toughest and down right strongest double i have ever played for the money. Double chain, solid cast iron base rockplates. I was very inpressed.

Others i have been interested in have been the Gibraltar double chain lines, as well as their direct drive. I have heard good things of the yamaha direct drive also.

I would also look out for Big Dog drum pedals, good looking stuff!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Thanks For replying so fast.

I live in England so shipping is always annoying, for some reason we have no where near as much stuff for sale here. Unfortuneately that means the unbranded one you mentioned is probably out of the question for me as it will require long-distance shipping.

I will try to go for the more accessible models but with the quality too.

I'll head down to my local Drum shop and test out the ones they have in stock there.

EDIT: Those Janus Pedals look sweet! And they are fairly cheap too.

If anyone else wants to have a look at these; Janus Double Pedal
Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbroya View Post
Thanks For replying so fast.

I live in England so shipping is always annoying, for some reason we have no where near as much stuff for sale here. Unfortuneately that means the unbranded one you mentioned is probably out of the question for me as it will require long-distance shipping.

I will try to go for the more accessible models but with the quality too.

I'll head down to my local Drum shop and test out the ones they have in stock there.

EDIT: Those Janus Pedals look sweet! And they are fairly cheap too.

If anyone else wants to have a look at these; Janus Double Pedal
I have the janus double pedal for 2 years now. i used to LOVE the thing. it was built like a tank, sturdy, smooth, quiet, fast, whatever you want in a pedal, it had it! or atleast it seemed like it before it started falling apart 6 months ago...
the drive shaft (the thing connecting the slave pedal to the main pedal - the MOST IMPORTANT thing in a double pedal) is CHEAP PLASTIC. causes alot of friction and therefore - power loss. the more you angel the slave pedal, the worse the responce gets. that is true with EVERY pedal, but when you use plastic like janus instead of metal (like most high end pedals), it makes a HUGE differnce. ALSO, the linkage system got a little loose somehow and the pedal is squeeking like a wounded hound. it's disgusting.. last but not least, don't tighten the allen screw of the bearing graple too much (i'm talking about the part that connects the pedal spring to the hinge) that is cheap casting and it WILL break and your spring will snap off every once in a while and it's a REAL pain in the ass.

to make a long story short, if i could go back in time, i'd have bought the Yamaha Flying Dragon, or the Gibraltar Intruder II instead although it wasn't yet in production :P) and do yourself a favor and go for direct drive.. enough of chains and belts... trust me on this...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 AM

Never tried it but this is an interesting concept and if it worked well could be cool.

http://www.manchesterdrum.com/produc...For=&PT_ID=162
Old 01-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Have you thought about Yamaha pedals? Here is a list of the ones available in the UK. I own the direct drive (9410) and it's great! Smooth, strong and fast. All metal as well, not plastic like the Mapex one (I was actually quite shocked at Mapex for this.) Also you can never go wrong with Yamaha hardware, its the best IMO. Hope this helps.

R
Old 01-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Yamaha pedals are the greatest pedals out there. I don't know how much they are in pounds, but I definitely recommend them. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive gets my vote also. I bought 2.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 AM

Ive never had a problem with my janus. owned it for around a year now.

It loses a few settings after some heavy pounding. but the amount of force that they take during play is more then aenough to rattle a few threads.

Odd that you say that about the drive shaft, as mine is made out of metal!

Best pedal i have played, its so quite! Smmoth and heavy, durable, built like a tank but plays like a cheetah!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozzy View Post
Ive never had a problem with my janus. owned it for around a year now.

It loses a few settings after some heavy pounding. but the amount of force that they take during play is more then aenough to rattle a few threads.

Odd that you say that about the drive shaft, as mine is made out of metal!

Best pedal i have played, its so quite! Smmoth and heavy, durable, built like a tank but plays like a cheetah!
i wish mine behaved as well as yours does... hehehe
Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Hi James....new boy on here myself.

check out the Axis pedal...hopefully i've pasted details below.

http://www.axispercussion.com/longboards.html

i've got the single and its the dogs danglies.

i get the impression you're in the UK, if so go to www.edrumline.co.uk and ask for Simon.

i think £195.00 gets you the double......if its any more its not by much.

cheers

DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbroya View Post
Hello, I am looking to replace my current double bass pedal as it is uneven and falling apart =/

I am looking to spend about £200 (definately no more than £250) on a pedal. I was just wondering what you guys would reccomend.

I play mostly Heavy Metal/Prog and need a pedal that is Hard wearing and versatile.

At the moment I have only seen one pedal which takes my fancy (DW 7000 Pedals) but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other good brands/models I should take a look at.

Thanks.

James

(BTW I'm new to these forums.)
Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I havent quite finished saving up yet so my mind is still open.

@DWP I think that my drum teacher has that pedal on his studio kit, i'll ask if he'll let me have a play :)