DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-27-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Thought Travis was gonna break the record

Johnny Rabb is the man. Whoever said Travis probably doesn't focus on being the fastest drummer, I agree with them. Especially with everything he does. He tours with bands, has a TV show, runs a company, and with the drum practices he does I don't think he has the time even to practice becoming WFD.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: How can I make my TOM heads sound like Travis Barker's?

thanks dude for helping me out :)
Old 03-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker

Kids who have never heard any other drummer say travis is awsome cos thats all they have to go on. Travis himself doesnt claim to be a drumming superpower. he's getting kids into drums because what 10-16 year old would listen to buddy rich or steve gadd songs in this day and age? he's classed as 'amazing'etc cos he's all these people have to go on. He's the best cos they aint heard better. I used to be the same. But then i started playing more complicated stuff and got me a steve gadd book. Travis aint the best. only to a certain age group.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Here is a link to those bass drum metal hoops for the portholes.

http://vintagelogos.com/holz.html
Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Funny everyone says how people will eventually grow out of Travis when they hear all the old jazz greats. When I first started drumming, I really wanted to be awed by the 'best' drummer, so I checked out Buddy Rich's solo's, of course. Although initially the sheer speed was impressive, the effect wore off quickly, because speed can only do so much, but then I saw Travis's solo's, and they were played with energy and agression, and it did it for me. I still haven't got bored of Travis's playing...
Old 03-27-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
i seriously doubt that he said that. probably a rumour
Actually at one time it was at mtv.com MTV's web page of Travis. He said he was spending time with his dog and training to break the world's fastest drummer record. This was several years and a couple of marriages and TV shows ago, so who knows what happened. He definately doesn't need to money, gear or publicity, so if he did it, it would be simply a personal goal of his to have the title.

I asked about this when he made that statement and Boo said not to count him out for he was much faster and had better technique than many would think. Back then though the record was held by Johnny Rabb or Art Verdi and around the high 1000's or early 1100's. Now it's over 1200 and climbing. Honestly there's only a handful in the world that are capable of running at these kinds of speed. Think about it, that's over 20 times per second every second for a full minute. Can you name 5 drummers in the world that you honestly believe can do that? Mangini is the ONLY person in the history of the world that has OFFICIALLY been through the 1200 barrier with hand singles. That's quite an achevement.

Travis does have a couple of drumometers and I think possibly he and Boo still talk. Not sure I'll ask what's up...........

TD
Old 03-27-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker Boost Moble Beat

Im guessing your talking about the one right at the start of the commercial. Its a pretty straight foward punk beat. The bass beat is duplicated on the toms and alternated between floor and high.
Just try listening to it a couple times.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDee
Actually at one time it was at mtv.com MTV's web page of Travis. He said he was spending time with his dog and training to break the world's fastest drummer record. This was several years and a couple of marriages and TV shows ago, so who knows what happened. He definately doesn't need to money, gear or publicity, so if he did it, it would be simply a personal goal of his to have the title.

I asked about this when he made that statement and Boo said not to count him out for he was much faster and had better technique than many would think. Back then though the record was held by Johnny Rabb or Art Verdi and around the high 1000's or early 1100's. Now it's over 1200 and climbing. Honestly there's only a handful in the world that are capable of running at these kinds of speed. Think about it, that's over 20 times per second every second for a full minute. Can you name 5 drummers in the world that you honestly believe can do that? Mangini is the ONLY person in the history of the world that has OFFICIALLY been through the 1200 barrier with hand singles. That's quite an achevement.

Travis does have a couple of drumometers and I think possibly he and Boo still talk. Not sure I'll ask what's up...........TD

wow i stand corrected... good work. i never heard him say that, but like said i think hes uber busy with his lik multiple bands and company and what not.. whos boo? im guessing some one that runs WFD ? i know travis has good technique but those world fastest drummers dudes probably (correct me if im wrong ) focus 90% of their practice time on signle strokes, they probably are barely medicor on the kit.. ( bash away im sure some one will throw my last sentence in my face)...

p.s you know boo ?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
wow i stand corrected... good work. i never heard him say that, but like said i think hes uber busy with his lik multiple bands and company and what not.. whos boo? im guessing some one that runs WFD ? i know travis has good technique but those world fastest drummers dudes probably (correct me if im wrong ) focus 90% of their practice time on signle strokes, they probably are barely medicor on the kit.. ( bash away im sure some one will throw my last sentence in my face)...

p.s you know boo ?
No Problem. Boo and Craig are the two guys that started all this. Yes I know them and from time to time, well a lot the past 6 months have worked for them. Mostly editing and shooting videos for them.

Tim Yeung is a WFD guy and so, do you really think he is as you say 'medicor' on the kit? A lot of these guys have sold quite a few records and packed out a great deal of venues just to be as you say 'medicor' on the kit. But hey that your opinion and your have a right to voice it no matter if it's true or false, I guess.

Not meant as bashing, just informative education.

TD
Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 PM

Tim Yeung is 'the crazy man', but it's a shame Vital Remains play slightly uninspired speed-assault metal. Nethertheless, Yeung is extremely fast. Does anyone know/can anyone guess how many single strokes with the hands and feet Flo Mournier could do? Also, does Boo ('scary' name) use alternating fingers with his finger bouncing technique?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 PM

i'm a huge travis barker fan...so what? we all have people we look up to...so why not travis? he's not the greatest and never will be. but he's what i like. and no 2 drummers will ever play a song the exact same way. we all have different opinions of how a song should be played. the atlanta braves may not be the best team in baseball, but they still pack out a stadium with fans. so why is it not ok for travis to have fans and be looked up to?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
Funny everyone says how people will eventually grow out of Travis when they hear all the old jazz greats. When I first started drumming, I really wanted to be awed by the 'best' drummer, so I checked out Buddy Rich's solo's, of course. Although initially the sheer speed was impressive, the effect wore off quickly, because speed can only do so much, but then I saw Travis's solo's, and they were played with energy and agression, and it did it for me. I still haven't got bored of Travis's playing...

damn finally some one i agree with, i am the same way.. ive seen all the greats and i know what everyone has to offer, and im aware travis isnt "technically" the best, but hes still my fav for the same reason.. his drumming is catchy, energetic, fun, and skillful. i mean you see all the blazing solos and stuff, but i am always a sucker for like a cool groove, and to me travis offers alot of interesting beats and fills... hes got a cool style too.. i havnt seen anyone that tops his stage presence.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Marc, that was a great explanation.
Thankyou Dogbreath! I really think that too many people try and compare Travis Barker, who has really only begun his career, to jazz greats like Buddy Rich, who had over 3 decades of work under his belt. Travis serves the pop-punk purpose well; as I have said before, can anyone think of a pop-punk drummer who out-does him? The closest (I think, I'm not even remotely a fan of pop-punk) drummer to Travis' skill is probably Longineu Parson (the Yellowcard dude). Then again, I really don't know pop-punk (I don't even listen to it).

- Marc
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 PM

Whoo beatsmcgee!! And is that Thomas Delonge, the man himself, on your picture thing-ey? Anyway, tambian89, sir, I respect your opinions and somewhat creative analogies, but you seem to have a (perhaps unintended) patronizing attitude towards drummers within the 'pop-punk' genre. Your tone of voice (typing?) is as if to say (and here's my pseudo creative analogy): 'yes, that is a good painting...for a toddler, but you can't really compare it to Picasso now, can you?'

Give the pop-punk guys more credit than this!! I keep saying this; check out Sum 41's All Killer... the 2nd song has an intro in 7/4, and like 40 seconds into the 12th song, there are alternating bars of 4/4 and 6/4...from a mall punk band!? Who'd have thought it? Jordan Burns of Strung Out even plays double kick and more than 2 toms(!)

Travis's playing is a microcosm of Blink's music: simple, fun, catchy and energetic; easy (or relatively easy) to play, not so easy to come up with...

EDIT: and beatz, Chad Sexton of 311, and Derek Grant of Alkaline Trio also seem to be right up your street; the street of creative grooves, great feel and ample technicality. Come on guys, what more could you ask of a drummer?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:13 AM

No the one between the high hat snare and bass after the tom beat
Old 03-28-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Your tone of voice (typing?) is as if to say (and here's my pseudo creative analogy): 'yes, that is a good painting...for a toddler, but you can't really compare it to Picasso now, can you?'
Dogbreath liked it!!!

No; I see what you are saying. Like Roger Ebert, my rating system is pretty relative. I'm really just saying that, a pop-punk band will usually fit it's intended style. I definately think a pop-punk band can be good (I personally like Billy Talent, who are more revival type punk, but pop-like notheless). I don't mean to undermind pop-punk; if I did I seem to deride it in any way, it was unintentional. What I meant to say was; Pop-punk drumming and jazz drumming are going to be completely different, as each will try and satisfy the needs of its own style. I don't mean to say one is better than the other; I appreciate you voicing (in this case typing) your opinion. Hope I cleared that up.

- Marc

Last edited by tambian89; 03-29-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tamadrummer~
i would stay away from the emperors i can get mine in tune!
so what's the problem haha? i know what ye meant. I actually had a very easy time tuning my emperors, except for my snare, it keeps going out of tune, but it could be the tension rods. Unless you have acryllic, i don't think you can get the same sound. Look for you own individual sound, that's what being a drummer is all about.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Hey beatsMcGee,

You live in Raleigh man, which is like a kind of WFD hotbed. There are alot of strong teachers out there who teach good fundamentals and stuff and are world class WFD guys. Eric Okamoto, is one of the best rudiment guys in the world and teaches at a store in Cary. He's also a WFD champion. Scott LaBoarde was top 10 in the world championships the last couple of years and lives in Wake Forest. He's also got a great educational website drumskillz.com. You ought to check these out. It might improve your vibe about the WFD guys. You'd also find out by watchin these guys that some of these big time guys claiming to use speed in certain ways aren't as hot as we are told.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Tim Yeung is 'the crazy man', but it's a shame Vital Remains play slightly uninspired speed-assault metal. Nethertheless, Yeung is extremely fast. Does anyone know/can anyone guess how many single strokes with the hands and feet Flo Mournier could do? Also, does Boo ('scary' name) use alternating fingers with his finger bouncing technique?
HAHA! You may have Boo and Art Verdi mixed up. Art's the master of finger technique. Check him out at www.artverdi.com I worked on his video called 'Practicing Properly' which has become like the bible for all who do WFD. As far as Boo (yes a scary name, he was born on Halloween) I would definately be 'afraid' to speculate on how he uses his fingers. YIKES! HAHA! lol

Check out Art and yea also all the guys that Matt mentioned in your area. www.drumskilz.com (link?) I hope that's right, anyway, it's a great site for all WFD training. There's tons of WFD stuff out there. Lots here at DrummerWorld. NJ has a great site with charts, techniques etc...Oh, also www.drummerbuzz.com for the WFD-UK stuff is really cool. Timwaterson.com for the feet. timyeung.com axis.com Lots of stuff at pearldrum.com tigerbill.com just tons of info out there. There's a article of sorts coming out in Wired Magazine this month too on WFD.

Matt, I know I left out lots of other sites, can you add o the above list? What's the link to Nutha's site?

As far as Flo, he's one of those guys that everyone predicts as a top contender for setting or breaking WFD World records. Another guy who has just joined the WFD is Jim Kilpatrick from Scottland. Jim is a 17 time 'World Drumming Champion'. If you are not familiar with Jim kilpatrick please check him out, he's amazing. All are on the edge to know what Jim will do as far as WFD World Records. Don't forget there's also Thomas Lang waiting in the wings. Along with Travis Barker and others.

WFD is totally unpredictable! That's the beauty of it.

TD
Old 03-28-2006, 03:48 PM

I found NJ's link it's http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id10.html

By all means check it out! Great stuff! I love the ladders and all the drumometer chart examples and just so much great technique building stuff. Check it out!

TD
Old 03-28-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
I don't mean to undermine pop-punk; if I did I didn't mean to.
This sentence confuses me...

Anyway, other than that, I think we cleared this one up; being a metalhead (like yourself), I , too can appreciate the merits of other styles of drumming, and that no one is 'better' than the other, merely different. However, you could argue that, (continuing with my previous analogy), a Picasso painting is no 'better' than the work of a toddler, but everyone would know who you implied was better, and I thought you were doing that with your comparison of jazz and pop-punk, but evidently not.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:04 PM
~tamadrummer~

well i was looking for a dead low sound so thats what the dude at the drum shop suggested those. i tried everything even had my drum teacher try and tune em but no luck. maybe it was my drums....but i don think so because ec2s sound pretty good on em!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
im not slamming him...he was actually my favorite drummer at one time but im just saying imo, studying more skilfull drums will get you farther.
You used to like Travis Barker? You guys are full of surprises lol.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:53 AM

I hate Blink 182 too, but Travis Barker is a pop-puk drummer - he will never compare to any metal drummer due to his style. To quote myself here:

"Travis Barker is better than your average pop-punk drummer, correct? If not tell me who is better ( I really feel Tre Cool does not measure up). Travis is better than most of the drummers in his genre; that is really where I feel his skill ends. He may be skilled at rudiments and marching, but he plays neither one of those as a profession, nor is he the best at both.

Roger Ebert has a style of rating movies; he rates them through stars. For example, a movie he loves will receive 4 out of 4 stars; a movie he hates will receive 1 (maybe 0) out of 4. However, he compares movies based on their genre. For example, he gave Batman Begins 4 out of 4 stars; he also gave Schindler's List 4 out of 4 stars. He does not, however, mean that both films are equally good; he simply means, that, in comparison to other superhero films, Batman Begins is probably his favorite. In terms of historical dramas, he feels Schindler's list is his favorite. Ebert does not mean that Batman Begins and Schindler's List are equal in terms of quality (though some people may).

Roger says: "The star rating system is relative, not absolute. When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then [The United States of] Leland clocks in at about two."

Same goes for Travis Barker; In comparison to Tre Cool, Travis is about a 4, Tre is about a 3, and Chuck Comeau is about a 2. While one can compare Buddy Rich, 4, to Chick Webb, 3.5, one cannot compare Rich to Barker."

There you go. I don't mean to attack you if it seems like I am; I think Travis should only be compared to pop-punk drummers in terms of skill, since that is all we hear of him anyway.

- Marc

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-03-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:37 AM

Breaking that record is impossible for that guy.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin4ever
Current Top Ten WFD Fastest Hands Rankings as of March 25, 2006

Mike Mangini 1247
Jotan Afanador 1199
Art Verdi 1116
Dan Barnat 1106
Sam LaCompte 1096
Eric Okamoto 1085
Johnny Rabb 1071 tie
Brad Broomfield 1071 tie
Matt Smith 1061
Tiger Bill Meligari 1060

In this type of specialized event, any of these guys would own Travis Barker like a used car.
I think Art Verdi is the fastest with more then 1200
Old 03-29-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer
I think Art Verdi is the fastest with more then 1200
No Class A, what I posted was 100% accurate...no debates.

Verdi is third all time, and second in traditional grip.

BTW, I viewed your video. Nice job...you've got good chops for a 14-15 year old.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
you reveal a lot more about yourself in a post like this than about travis barker. a better drummer at age five? exaggerator. no timing? his timing is excellent so your ear for timing might be way off. no tone? tone deaf as well? his toms sing and we hear them fine thank you. a million things he does wrong? a million is a huge number. exaggerator. he just sucks? well go to a forum that doesn't celebrate drummers then...this one does celebrate drummers. we can criticise yes but be warned that your criticism often reveals your own inaddequacies far more than you would hope or like.

j
Hey i agree with you and stu i juest dont like him to begin with thats all...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Chip

What's hard about it?

Sounds like (I hate tabs but, meh)
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
C X--------------
H ----x---x---x--
S --o-----o---o-o
B o---o-o---o----

Last edited by Chip; 03-29-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 AM

Travis is definetely a good drummer, but I am a bit bored of the hype teenies make about the guy. Sure, he might be the best of the pseudo-punk drummers but much more? I say no, though my view might be limited since I hate Blink182. But also when I´m just concentrating on the drums I can find so many other greater drummers than him. Overall, he deserves a lot of respect but shouldn´t be soooo much admired.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Stu_Strib

Well, if they have a WFD Double Strokes competition, he might compete, given that's all he ever plays ;-)

Single strokes he'd get murdered.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Pioneer Member

i like the fact that i can listen to any blink 182 cd that had travis drumming on it, and not hear the same beat twice.. all the songs have considerably different beats and they are all creative and fun to me..
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith
Then why did you say it?

I am one of those people and none of us spends most of our time on single strokes. Of my two and a half hour a day practice routine I spend about 30 minutes on speed issues maybe five days a week. All of the major WFD guys are great set players. That's a myth that was thrown out years ago.
well i didnt know for sure wether they were good kit players, but i knew they HAD to focus 90% of their practice on speed, but then i also imagined like tim waterson or some other WFD comptetiors post the opposit...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 PM

I just checked elvin4ever is correct Mike is still on top with 1247. There seems to be a huge barrier at 1250. Funny how these barriers in WFD scores happen around the 50 and 100 count. The next big number to fall is 1300. 1300? Is that really possible? If so, who do you think will be the first to break the 1300. They say it is awful lonely at the top. I bet this guy is going to be all by him/her self for a long time. Kinda like Tim Waterson has been in the feet category.

TD
Old 03-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDee
No Problem. Boo and Craig are the two guys that started all this. Yes I know them and from time to time, well a lot the past 6 months have worked for them. Mostly editing and shooting videos for them.

Tim Yeung is a WFD guy and so, do you really think he is as you say 'medicor' on the kit? A lot of these guys have sold quite a few records and packed out a great deal of venues just to be as you say 'medicor' on the kit. But hey that your opinion and your have a right to voice it no matter if it's true or false, I guess.

Not meant as bashing, just informative education.

TD

i ment it more of a question rather than an open opinoin.. i was kinda asking are they medicor on the kit ? or are they really talented on the kit and just happen to be blazing fast on the pad aswell... sorry for the misundertanding i think i just typed it wrong to the way i was thinkin.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith
Hey beatsMcGee,

You live in Raleigh man, which is like a kind of WFD hotbed. There are alot of strong teachers out there who teach good fundamentals and stuff and are world class WFD guys. Eric Okamoto, is one of the best rudiment guys in the world and teaches at a store in Cary. He's also a WFD champion. Scott LaBoarde was top 10 in the world championships the last couple of years and lives in Wake Forest. He's also got a great educational website drumskillz.com. You ought to check these out. It might improve your vibe about the WFD guys. You'd also find out by watchin these guys that some of these big time guys claiming to use speed in certain ways aren't as hot as we are told.

hey man ! do you live in raleigh ? yea i take drum lessons at Progressive Percussion in raleigh, i like it enough its cool , there is a guy there named scott.. that wouldnt happen to be the person your talkin about in your post are you ....?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
i like the fact that i can listen to any blink 182 cd that had travis drumming on it, and not hear the same beat twice.. all the songs have considerably different beats and they are all creative and fun to me..
Did you listen to the files I posted? Or does it not count because that was Boxcar Racer and not Blink 182, LOL!

Actually, he often falls back on one specific style of phrasing with his beats/fills, etc. Many of his beats are based on this feel:

Name:  barker_phrasing.gif
Views: 754
Size:  2.0 KB

He plays this phrase in several ways; as double stroke rolls on the snare and as singles around the toms. This is often one of the first and simple polyrhythms 3:4 that most beginners learn and thus, popular through familiarity.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:15 PM

check out the solo on OCDP website of him.

http://ocdrum.com/barker/
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 03-29-2006, 06:17 PM

This is a very good example of why I am not usually into drum solos.

Repetitive, no groove, no dynamics, ... What is exactly the structure of this solo ? Mostly a speed demonstration, and not even that impressive on that aspect anyway. And this little rhythm that he develops in a few sections... talk about a strange choice of groove for a solo...

Not my cup of tea. Some of his ideas in songs are by far more interesting than this piece of work.

Last edited by shuffle; 03-29-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
This is a very good example of why I am not usually into drum solos.

Repetitive, no groove, no dynamics, ... What is exactly the structure of this solo ? Mostly a speed demonstration, and not even that impressive on that aspect anyway. And this little rhytm that he develops in a few sections... talk about a strange choice of groove for a solo...

Not my cup of tea. Some of his rhytmic ideas in songs are by far more interesting than this piece of work.
i agree that is not his best solo, but i like his acrylic kit.