DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: Travis Barker

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

DJ AM & TRAVIS BARKER’S PUBLICISTS
Dvora Vener (310) 248-6161
Myleik Teele (310) 248-6134

DJ AM & TRAVIS BARKER LIVE PERFORMANCE AT CLUB ABYSS! SAYREVILLE, NEW JERSEY…. THE HOTTEST EVENT TO HIT NEW JERSEY THIS YEAR….. LOS ANGELES’ DJ AM AND TRAVIS BARKER OF BLINK 182 WILL PERFORM LIVE AT CLUB ABYSS!

EVENT NAME: DJ AM & TRAVIS BARKER
DATE: WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12, 2006
TIME: 8:00PM – 2:00AM
ADVANCE SALE TICKETS: WANTTICKETS.COM
CLUB ABYSS BOX OFFICE 732.727.5252

HIGHWAY 35N : SAYREVILLE, NEW JERSEY 08879

clubabyss.com

CONTACT(s):
CLUB ABYSS
LISA TODARO
OFFICE 732.727.5252
EMAIL lea3969@aol.com

Bernhard
Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 PM

The OCDP solo doesnt do him much justice. Its differnt seeing him live, and for his style of music and who he plays with he is good. As for all the people putting him down for the solos, he gets it done with 4 drums. I see portnoy or peart who have 10+ drums. But it really surprises me to see all the put downs, I think hes good maybe not best in world but at least top 20 for PUNK rock. And I know 80 percent of the people on here arent as good as him so its a shame.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

ya i can agree with the top 20 part, probably even top 10 because he does different stuff about every song instead of the smae old same old like a lot of other punk drummers. He also has great fills
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tree
The OCDP solo doesnt do him much justice. Its differnt seeing him live, and for his style of music and who he plays with he is good. As for all the people putting him down for the solos, he gets it done with 4 drums. I see portnoy or peart who have 10+ drums. But it really surprises me to see all the put downs, I think hes good maybe not best in world but at least top 20 for PUNK rock. And I know 80 percent of the people on here arent as good as him so its a shame.
Him having a 4 peice cannot be compared to Portnoy's Monster.. Why? Because If he wanted to he could CHOOSE to play a 10 peice. Does he win by default because he has less peices? No. Does he win because it makes him creative? No. Travis is not god, and he's not shite either. He is overpraised, but does what he does to fit the music, and for that I respect him. He's the male version of Meg White, but with more chops IMO.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:15 AM

Hmmm i didn't say he was better, and i didn't say he wins or he's better than mike. I said that he chose to play a 4 piece and maybe can't be as creative in his solos. But people say he needs work on his solos i don't see many people doing better solos on a 4 piece than him.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Hmmm i didn't say he was better, and i didn't say he wins or he's better than mike. I said that he chose to play a 4 piece and maybe can't be as creative in his solos. But people say he needs work on his solos i don't see many people doing better solos on a 4 piece than him.

Hmm...

Max Roach
Art Blakely
Lionel Hampton
Jeff Hamilton
Tony Williams
Elvin Jones
Joe Morello

Having a four peice has nothing to do with creativity. He plays a four peice because it feels good to him, not because It Challenges Him. One of his solo's has him play 32nd notes on the snare and high tom for about... 15 seconds with all the girls cheering. This is what makes everybody despise Travis. Nothing against the man..Just so overated for what he does/can do...

Oh and Solo's shouldn't even really be used as judging how good a drummer is. Drumming keeps the beat, Your Guitar's, Trumpets, Saxaphones should do the solo's really IMO. Sure you get Bonham, Peart, Gadd pulling off Solo's. But no one is Amazed by their solo's. It's the 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover Groove. The Fool In The Rain beat..Everything except the Solos. Solo's are hella cool, but you can't say, Bonham Is the best player ever, because He can do Moby Dick and no one else can..

And If Travis isn't that good on drum solos.. Don't BLOODY give him drum solo's. If he doesn't deserve it, he doesn't deserve it. If he doesn't have his own T.V. show because of it. So what? No one honostly gives a damn.....
Old 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
And again, for the record, Travis is a good drummer and I quite like Blink 182. On third/fourth listen, I'm starting to think Boxcar is even better. My problem comes with the Travis is GOD and he RULEZ comments. A little perspective is all.
well that comes from young kid who are just obsessed... and with that you should dislike them more then the artist they are talking about... those comments anoy me aswell and im a huge travis barker fan .
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_Love_Lime
Hmm...

Max Roach
Art Blakely
Lionel Hampton
Jeff Hamilton
Tony Williams
Elvin Jones
Joe Morello

Having a four peice has nothing to do with creativity. He plays a four peice because it feels good to him, not because It Challenges Him. One of his solo's has him play 32nd notes on the snare and high tom for about... 15 seconds with all the girls cheering. This is what makes everybody despise Travis. Nothing against the man..Just so overated for what he does/can do...

Oh and Solo's shouldn't even really be used as judging how good a drummer is. Drumming keeps the beat, Your Guitar's, Trumpets, Saxaphones should do the solo's really IMO. Sure you get Bonham, Peart, Gadd pulling off Solo's. But no one is Amazed by their solo's. It's the 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover Groove. The Fool In The Rain beat..Everything except the Solos. Solo's are hella cool, but you can't say, Bonham Is the best player ever, because He can do Moby Dick and no one else can..

And If Travis isn't that good on drum solos.. Don't BLOODY give him drum solo's. If he doesn't deserve it, he doesn't deserve it. If he doesn't have his own T.V. show because of it. So what? No one honostly gives a damn.....

my goodnesss people, is it really his fault that people are taken by him? NO its not a big deal that girls scream his name when he plays some 32nd notes... i mean more power to him, id love to wake up and play to thousands of fans that know my songs.i think people are really starting to post redundant copmments about him being over rated.. which isnt his fault.can he help people like his style and his past bands?--NO. give it a rest,hes a great drummer, not the best, girls like him, what ever...

the bottom line is: yes he is richer then us all put together, but does that take anything away from the fact he loves his craft.. absolutely not. yes girls like him and he has a tv show-does that mean that hes stuck up and a show off-- NO.. i think no one on this fourm knows the man and people are hating him like he smacked your mother....

its definitly okay to dislike him, or have opinions about his playing, but to constantly put him down and make a mockary of his dedication and obvious skill b/c hes popular and has a following just shows your imaturity and lack of understanding....
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Travis Barker Roland Voice

Sorry to post another Travis thread, but does anyone know the voice that Travis uses on his electronic pad for the huge bass drop effect? My band wants me to use it, and I don't know what he uses.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Travis Barker Roland Voice

whats a bass drop effect... and how do you activate it.. i dont know alot about the drum machines and sound effects. would love to learn..
Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 PM

AMEN beatsmcgee, Travis cannot help his fame, and he is a good, creative and inspiring drummer (in my opinion) with or without it - it is just because he is famous that I have heard of him. I'm sure there are many other drummers out that could drum for blink adequatley (spelling?), or be much more technically impressive, but they don't have Travis's energetic and edgy feel (which I love and Stu hates).

And to the guy who said drummers should just keep the beat, that's just as lame as saying to a guitar player: 'you should just play chords' - an utterly counter-productive and cynical statement. Of course Travis 'deserves' to play a solo in a Blink concert, he is the best on his instrument out of the three (though I don't wish to knock Mark and Tom), and if girls (and boys) like it, surely that's the whole point!? There's a place for uber-complicated polyrhythmic drum solo's, but there's also a place for the crowd pleasers.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Thought Travis was gonna break the record

Wasnt there a rumor or was it true that Travis Barker said he would break the World's Fastest Drummer Champ record years ago?

I vaguely remember the topic
Old 03-26-2006, 05:14 AM
Pioneer Member

i still wanna hear stu's take on track 6 of boxcar which has a really cool grove.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Thought Travis was gonna break the record

i seriously doubt that he said that. probably a rumour
Old 03-26-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
i seriously doubt that he said that. probably a rumour
i also seriously doubt that he could pull it off
Old 03-26-2006, 07:02 AM

Default How can I make my TOM heads sound really good?

I really need assistance on how to make my TOM heads sound really good and "poppy" without a ring or having to use those annoying plastic rings. I have new Coated Evans Genera G2 heads on my Tama Swingstar. Can I get assistance on how I can do this? Also, if you know, where can I purchase black bass heads with 2 holes(like travis barker) and those metal hoops protecting the holes in the bass resonant head? Thank you all for your time in reading this.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:09 AM

Current Top Ten WFD Fastest Hands Rankings as of March 25, 2006

Mike Mangini 1247
Jotan Afanador 1199
Art Verdi 1116
Dan Barnat 1106
Sam LaCompte 1096
Eric Okamoto 1085
Johnny Rabb 1071 tie
Brad Broomfield 1071 tie
Matt Smith 1061
Tiger Bill Meligari 1060

In this type of specialized event, any of these guys would own Travis Barker like a used car.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Stu_Strib

Boxcar Racer, track #6 "And I", The Unofficial Stu_Strib Review

6intro.mp3

Intro beat...maybe it is cool to you but I've heard it a million times. It is a bit cliche. Although I am wondering what kind of stick he uses for the ghost notes. Sounds cool that way.

6verse.mp3

After the intro beat we get a very typical busy Travis groove. I like the rolls into the snare on 2 (or 3 if you are counting half-time), but I really dislike the offbeat tom hit and the hi hat gliss. This is another groove killer. He uses a very common Travis phrasing pattern. Although it is a groove killer, I conceede, it does sound cool. This is the problem, again though. Cool beat, wrong place.

The bridge? (or I guess it is the first hint of the chorus) (first time of "I want her/need her/with you/always will pull me through?") is ok? It seems a bit disconnected from the rest of the song, but that is the song's fault, not Travis'.

6breakdown.mp3

I like when he goes into double time with the signature tom ruffs (the guitar breakdown part). Playing double time through the choruses is perfect. I would have gone to full double time there too.

So there you go. Not bad at all, but I really dislike the verse groove, and it is a fairly typical Travis groove.

As for the opening groove, I think I've just been playing so long I don't really find it too interesting, and definitely not difficult or ground breaking. It does 'sound' good though, from an audio quality stand point.

Any others?

By the way, the students in HS Art that I substitute taught for played Blink every day (yes, I'm a cool teacher, we play music while working). I don't think I ever heard the early stuff with the other drummer. I like Blink a lot, even the whiny singer guy, but man, that old stuff was awful.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Not to diss Travis, I think he is a very good drummer, but I am quite sure he could never break any speed record in the WFD contest
Old 03-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Pioneer Member

i was tryin to play along to some blink today. he's fast for sure. not the fastest guy around by any means, but fast nonetheless. i like his fills a lot too, and i'm a huge fan of tthe cool little drum break in "reckless abandon".
but he's not amazing. he doesn't really keep it simple enough for the punk music he plays, and i'm not sure if he's as creative as people like jimmy chamberlin.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: How can I make my TOM heads sound like Travis Barker's?

coated heads, and also he uses acrylic. so it wont sound like a wood kit.

you can get the bass drum head here http://www.ocdrum.com/ocdp/merch/show.php?id=7

Myspace-Add me!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
~tamadrummer~

why would you just want to copy someone elses tuning? i would try to find my own style...
Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tamadrummer~
why would you just want to copy someone elses tuning? i would try to find my own style...

i agree....wuts with teens these days copying travis barker down to the finest detail....find your own set up that you feel comfortable with, with your own tuning, own drum sizes ect....like its good to admire a drummer but going to the extreme to find bass heads with the same exact mic holes lined with the same metal is ridiculious....be yourself....youll find if u surround yourself with good drumming it will rub off on you and you will become more innovative instead of trying to copy other drummers ideas all the time....its one thing to practice a drummers certain fill or song but to copy a drummer (especially as travis barker) down to their same exact bass head is a little too far....imo i think too many teens idolize travis barker and they can be getting better inspiration from greater drummers such as neil peart, buddy rich, steve gadd, bonham, ian paice, and keith moon.....imo travis barker isnt even half as much innovative/skilled as those drummers.....dont get me wrong barker is a great drummer and of course you can like his drumming but i think drumming wise...to study a drummers work like bonhams or gadd's will get you farther and faster as skill wise
Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Well, maybe he couldnt beat it, so never entered

Or maybe he doesnt want to focus on that, maybe too busy with his other stuff, who knows
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Senior Consultant

I think that the top WFD guys are genetic freaks. They may have more white fibers than the rest of us or something. Yes, technique will take you anywhere you want to go but technique COMBINED with superior genetics will take you farther.

To make a simple analogy: Anyone can improve their physical condition thru diet/exercise but that doesn't mean that anyone could be the next Schwarzenegger (or the next Mike Mangini)

As far as Travis goes. He's a very good drummer in a genre full of second-rate drummers so all of the little fans he has think he's amazing. He wouldn't dare tarnish that rep by trying to break 1,000.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:41 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith
Genetic mutants? That's hilarious.
You reckon? Just you wait until the war breaks out. Professor X won't be able to save you then!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Pioneer Member

When he logs in later maybe he can shed some light on the subject.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill
When he logs in later maybe he can shed some light on the subject.
Bro, you cracked me up with that one!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Travis Barker Boost Moble Beat

How do you play this beat in the camarcal? It has been bugging me for a while so I thought maybe I would hand the task off to more experanced srummers?
Thanks in advance,
Red
Old 03-27-2006, 02:06 AM
Pioneer Member

i happen to love his groove "killer" style.. to me it adds to the songs and it dosnt kill it, but we are all entitled to our own opinions... youd probably hate my style of playing cuz im influenced alot by travsibarker and like stewart copeland. and that ornimental type of accented playing. i also put loads of rolls everywhere haha..
Old 03-27-2006, 03:06 AM

Quote:
ehhh, i disagree the offspring drummers not as good, but i dont think chad smith is as good as travis what? Chad has nothing special really. And nutha what songs have u covered from him you got any videos?
Chad is INCREDIBLE... Ssh Man.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:15 AM

This isn't a slam travis thread this poor guy wants some help and you guys put him down. What i would say is if you really want his sound, get his heads and play around with them. I think he uses remo coated emperors with an emporer-x- snare head. As for the bass head, you'll have to search ocdc bass heads.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:19 AM
~tamadrummer~

i would stay away from the emperors i can get mine in tune!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
This isn't a slam travis thread this poor guy wants some help and you guys put him down. What i would say is if you really want his sound, get his heads and play around with them. I think he uses remo coated emperors with an emporer-x- snare head. As for the bass head, you'll have to search ocdc bass heads.

im not slamming him...he was actually my favorite drummer at one time but im just saying imo, studying more skilfull drums will get you farther.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Travis Barker is better than your average pop-punk drummer, correct? If not tell me who is better ( I really feel Tre Cool does not measure up). Travis is better than most of the drummers in his genre; that is really where I feel his skill ends. He may be skilled at rudiments and marching, but he plays neither one of those as a profession, nor is he the best at both.

Roger Ebert has a style of rating movies; he rates them through stars. For example, a movie he loves will receive 4 out of 4 stars; a movie he hates will receive 1 (maybe 0) out of 4. However, he compares movies based on their genre. For example, he gave Batman Begins 4 out of 4 stars; he also gave Schindler's List 4 out of 4 stars. He does not, however, mean that both films are equally good; he simply means, that, in comparison to other superhero films, Batman Begins is probably his favorite. In terms of historical dramas, he feels Schindler's list is his favorite. Ebert does not mean that Batman Begins and Schindler's List are equal in terms of quality (though some people may).

Roger says: "The star rating system is relative, not absolute. When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then [The United States of] Leland clocks in at about two."

Same goes for Travis Barker; In comparison to Tre Cool, Travis is about a 4, Tre is about a 3, and Chuck Comeau is about a 2. While one can compare Buddy Rich, 4, to Chick Webb, 3.5, one cannot compare Rich to Barker.

- Marc
Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
No problem, I'll just shape shift into Meg White until the coast is clear.
Hey, you may find you never want to change back...
Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Marc, that was a great explanation.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Pioneer Member

i agree, i dont compare rich and barker together, but i agree he is on a higher skill lever than tre cool. tree is a good drummer for green day, i just dont see is overwhelming skill...as far as my impression of barker i just love his busy drumming--its fun to play and watch.. his rudiments incorperated with his grooves is awesome to me.. some people hate it but i love it.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I remember this. I'm pretty sure it was said. But you know, alot of times these guys have publicity people who say junk the guys never really said themselves, like how he had gotten up to 1216 on his drumometer. You know thats crazy. But the publicity guy probably thought this was no big deal thinkin' nobody would follow up.

Travis Barker did go to a WFD last year but didn't compete. He had to see then how fast it really is.

Genetic freaks? That's hilarious.
dose any one have tape of travis saying that? i dobut he did, probably was what you mentioned people publicly saying stuff to bring hype up... i doubt travis would claim he could compete. i love his style and all, but i doubt (you never know-he could be at his house laughing hitting 1300! just kidden) he would say he could set a new world record..
Old 03-27-2006, 07:43 AM

I think Travis is good, but limits himself in some of his pop punk bands. But then again, there's no need for flashy, crazy drumming everywhere in those songs. I'd love to see him in more interesting bands. Blink 182 gives him a bad image, I think, in drumming. I almost liked him better in Box Car Racer, but they were both pretty lame. Overall music wise. I saw the videos of him on this site though, really cool.