DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker

Well i agree people should admire people for more than just speed but i think travis is great but not just for his speed so not all teens are like that lol.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Travis Barker's Wife Is Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz
All I have to say is............remember when some of you were really young/naive and didn't know jack squat about music? You'll probably say "yes" and then remember that you were praising drummers like Peter Criss, Nick Mason and Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) back when you were a wee little lad and now thinking to yourself "Wow.......I was way off." Well, kids are still doing the same thing today.

The videos that beatsMcGee posted were entertaining, nothing mind-blowing, but then again is that what he's trying to do? Somehow I doubt it. When your fanbase is mostly young teenage girls, you could sit there and do triplets all day and they'll spill blood for it. However, the solo vid on this site of him coming up from the floor is just embarrassing. I think that should be removed. It's cool he uses electronic samples in that, but he should probably ask Mr. Peart or Jimbo (if you don't know then leave this site now) how to really use them.

Barker is a great punk drummer, there's no doubt about that. I enjoy his playing on that Boxcar Racer cd the most. He gets really creative in some of his parts, especially since.....hello!!!! It's punk music for God's sake.....not Zappa or Benny Goodman. I give him kudos for not just playing fast crap beats.

Is he the best drummer in the history of music? No, but y'know what? He's the most popular now, so of course you're going to get all the naive people following that schtick of "omg dude he's on MTV all the time. he's the best drummer ever. like like, he's awesome."

to stu: yea that is acutally the GC 2006 drumm off you can see the logo on the back screen behind barker, and you can also look it up online... so it is ACTUALLY him, thanks .

and to Zardoz, you have a good point but i cant help but to feel a little animostiy towards you post because it seems like your discribing me, and many others, as teeny boopers who are cought up in a fad-which, in my case, is completely the oposit. i agreed all along travis barker is not the best, i just think hes ragged on way to much, and for what? ive liked him well before he ever got on tv and became a "celeb". i always thought his drumming was creative, and he is very well suited for the style of music he plays. I never said what he did was impossible to do, but it is creative, and fun ! and he dose have a fun energetic style, and brings a refreshing sound to pop/punk/hip hop music. it just so happened that he, and many others,was one of the many drummers that i really took to as far as style and chops. but i am well versed in the elclectic styles of many drummers out there like; steve gadd, copland, peart, bonham, chambers, weckl, mitchell etc.... i dont just listen to travis and think "wow hes the damn greatest drummer ever" i apreciate what hes doing, and hell its fun to watch and listen to, aswell as play.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM

Kaden, I understand. No offense taken.

beastsMcGee, no I wasn't at all. I'm not sure why you thought that??? If you look at my quote I use your name as a positive reference and that's the only part in that post that was geared towards you. Sorry if you mistook my rant for a personal bash, but that was nowhere near the meaning of my points that I brought up.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Well in all fairness, repetition is good for one's opinion about Travis. His "tinkering" fills, with the little off-beat cymbal bell hits and stuff is kind of infectious. The more you listen the more you like.

I like Greenday and Bowling for Soup type punk drumming better (simpler, less busy).

That snare outro thing on "lost without you" doesn't do anything for me. I've never been a big rudimental snare fan anyway, so....

Again, my sole problem with his playing is just differences in taste, and people's tendancy to idolize him.

I wonder what he's gonna do next (now that blink is dead) and how his drumming style will fit into it?
well, the whole thing that his style changes everything....its very true. i think that since the transplants are no longer together, and blink broke up, heh will concentrate on this thing with mark, but it wont last very long, because the punk style drumming fits him very well, also, stu you said that the rudiments didnt do anything for you; that was a total marching thing, and i wish that travis would have not gone to the aquabats( in an alternate reality, of course) and instead gone to DCI because i follow that kind of stuff, and he would have been amazing to see where he would have been now
tj
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Hey elvinbarkerdennis, what's DCI. Is it 'drum corps international'? (I'll be so proud of myself if I get that right...)

In an alternate reality, it'd be cool to see how well Barker fared in a prog/metal group, that would have silenced the 'sell out' haters - except, in an alternate reality, the 'sell out' haters wouldn't have existed in the first place, so what would be the point, and I'm getting confused now, but I hear he's really into hip-hop. Are we looking at the next ?uestlove?

As a side note, are there any other 'live' hip-hop bands apart from 'the roots' out there?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:04 AM

You are correct,it is Drum Corps International. As far as live Hip-Hop bands besdes the Roots, I only know of Stetasonic.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 AM

I think travis is a brilliant drummer and I really like him.
To all those people who say that he tries to play too many notes all the time :

1. He doesn't do it all the time.
2. If he thinks it adds to the song, it's his choice, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not so good but it's all about trial and error. You'll never know some things unless you give them a go.
3. He has talent, why not let him show it off a bit?

If you don't like him, that's fine, but every drummer deserves a chance.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:08 AM

Anyone hear that song " Not Now " (I'm pretty sure that's the name) - Travis does soem pretty cool stuff there. He really uses the rudiments in almost all of his parts....or at least it seems that way.

- Marc
Old 03-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
Anyone hear that song " Not Now " (I'm pretty sure that's the name) - Travis does soem pretty cool stuff there. He really uses the rudiments in almost all of his parts....or at least it seems that way.

- Marc

yea i haev and i like it alot.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89

- Marc
that the new plus 44 song? he doesn't have much to do with it, but it is pretty cool i think. i think he could have done more at the end, but that may have spoiled the song. not sure.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:39 PM

no dude its a blink song they recorded for their greatest hits album
Old 03-18-2006, 09:43 PM

Travis Barker is a very good drummer and a lot of people look up to him and think he is the best drummer ever but those people need to hear some of the other great drummers insted of just listening to him and thinking hes the best.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:30 AM

A lot of people throw him down, but i think hes the best punk drummer probably ever. From the set he uses he makes the best out of it. All of his songs are incredibly hard to play, hes a crowd pleaser with the fans. And people don't get popular by not being good except tom(guitarist in blink 182). I have a lot of repect for him, and a lot of people compare him to people that dont play his style which is a false analogy.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
All of his songs are incredibly hard to play
um, well no actually. physical yes but skill wise not at all.

Quote:
punk drummer probably ever
i'm sure a lot of people will offer alternative greats. he is good but 'the best' is a beast best left untouched.

Quote:
I have a lot of repect for him, and a lot of people compare him to people that dont play his style which is a false analogy.
this i agree with. comparing travis to wekl for example is like comparing chocolate cake to steamed lobster. both are delicious but so completely unrelated.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-21-2006, 02:17 PM

J...you are brilliant man...i dont think i have ever heard anyone tell anything like that, geez. its crazy the advice that you give people; i cant believ that i have made it playing drums this far without people like all you guys giving me advice, but seriously, i just wanted to say that travis may not be the "best" persay, but he has always done what the song needs, and if i may use a hockey reference, he reminds me of Sidney Crosbey, he just elevates the people around him; he is truthfully awesome. but i just wanted to say thanks J... peace love and rudiments
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM

WHat song of his from take off your pants and jacket on is easy? And a better punk drummer?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:03 PM

Dave Ruan from Lagwagon sounds extremely technically efficient, as does Jordan Burns (who also comes up with very creative, often metal-influenced parts) from Strung Out. In terms of 'feel', Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio is unrivalled (for me), though I also love Travis's more hip-hop orientated grooves. Incidentally, I found it quite interesting to note that Matt Skiba (lead singer and guitarist of Alkaline Trio) was initially a drummer for a few other bands before forming Alk3. Chad Sexton is also great if you consider 311 punk. Having said this, I wouldn't brand them 'better' than Travis, as Jason said, they're merely different, but also stand out in the punk scene. Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy is better than people will give him credit for (as is the whole band).

Does anyone else have good punk/pop-punk drummer recommendations?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Administrator

well i cannot say that i have seen all of what travis does but everything i've heard i can cover or learn to cover pretty quickly.

a better punk drummer than travis. what about Frank Edwin Wright III. he is pretty sharp.
know who he is? travis says he likes this guys drumming.
lol
j

ps: thanks right back at you ElvinBaRkerDennis13.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
well i cannot say that i have seen all of what travis does but everything i've heard i can cover or learn to cover pretty quickly.
I heartily second that. And I don't even really delve into this genre too heavily.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
And I don't even really delve into this genre too heavily.
yeah. there are bigger hills to climb.

if you can do chad smith (hill), john bonham (mountain) or dave weckl (everest) then walking up the foothills of barker is just a sunday stroll.

come on stu...you would know who i was talking about here:
Quote:
a better punk drummer than travis. what about Frank Edwin Wright III. he is pretty sharp.
know who he is? travis says he likes this guys drumming.
j

Old 03-21-2006, 07:04 PM

ehhh, i disagree the offspring drummers not as good, but i dont think chad smith is as good as travis what? Chad has nothing special really. And nutha what songs have u covered from him you got any videos?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
And nutha what songs have u covered from him you got any videos?
dude. read my conversation with stu above. i've got bigger fish to fry. i don't have to prove anything to you. i just know formyself as many on this site can know of themselves...we would be able to do travis to a greater or lesser degree.

j

Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON

come on stu...you would know who i was talking about here:

j
Frank Edwin Wright III...hmmmmm I'll look it up, but no. I'll guess first then go look.

Dead Kennedy's
Sex Pistols
The Clash

Any of them?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Stu_Strib

Oh man I feel dumb now.

How was I supposed to know that Tre' Cool was a stage name??? ;-)
Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Senior Administrator

And the thing is, travis says he is a big fan of tre cool's.

j

Old 03-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Pioneer Member

yea they did a tour together so they are gonna be nice to one another... tre is alright...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Stu_Strib

Well they are Zildjian buddies too. In anycase, I think they are both better than the No Doubt guy ;-)
Old 03-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk3fan
Among what i see through teenage drummers and listeners, Travis Barker is highly over rated. Most teen drummers talk about how 'awesome' Travis is and how he is 'the best'. Mainly they think that being lightening fast determines a good drummer. That's all i hear my peers talk about. No doubt Travis is an excellent drummer, but i would rather see him be admired for his excellence than how fast he can move or being Blink 182's famous drummer. Personally, I much prefer Mr. Barker as the drummer for the Transplants rather than Blink 182. And how come Steve Gadd or Vinnie Colaiuta hasnt had a TV show?

Does anyone agree with my opinion or am i just talking nonsense?
well speed is great and i think travis barker is great but ur right it would be better if he slowed down some times to give his songs a bigger Variety
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumfury
well speed is great and i think travis barker is great but ur right it would be better if he slowed down some times to give his songs a bigger Variety
i don't think he's that fast all the time. i think it's just blink 182's style. i think his boxcar stuff is slower.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Stu_Strib

I just listened to all of Boxcar, and I don't see too much difference. To demonstrate my love hate relationship with Travis' playing I'll post three files.

The first two demonstrate his obvious flare for nice big continuous roll sounds. The first one he plays 16th note feel doubles, and the second one he slows them down to play sextuplet feel doubles. They both sound really good, but here is the hate part:

I "guess" he is demonstrating his range as a rudimental drummer, however, these two snips are IDENTICAL playing (by the band too, same key, same phrasing concepts, similar tempo, everything). The only thing different is the use of sextuplets for the underlying rolls. It would be more interesting to just merge those two songs into one, and varying the type of roll he uses.

Listen for yourselves:

nice rolls.mp3
nice rolls2.mp3

Then there is what Tommy Igoe calls a "Groove Killer". This is the signature sound of Barker, and it just doesn't groove. It's all choppy and awkward. It is, in short, a Groove Killer!

groove killer.mp3

I'm must admit, I'm a bit disappointed. I like the fact he airs out the music a little better, but still, those damned groove killlers!

Heh, and I always though that song I Feel So was a Blink song (not that there is much of a difference).
Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Pioneer Member

stu, i guess its all on taste as far as what you see is a groove... did you check out track number 6... now that is some playing.. you didnt even mention that at all... seriously track six is an awesome grove... and i liked the one you posted its chopy but that is what he wanted... its just a matter of what he likes vs what you like its not a matter of his lack of skill.. b/c hes demonstrated in other songs and works he can do these pocket groves and such you like... good post tho

btw... you call your relationship with travis's music love hate....you obviously expressed your hate... what do you love... just my 2 cents.. thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Stu_Strib

Well, I love the big fat open rolls posted in the above, yet at the same time, I hate that it is the exact same thing, but in two different songs.

I love the little intricate things he does, but then again, I hate how it kills the groove. Sometimes I just think he lays down a drum track without regard to the song. Like he thinks of a cool beat and just records it, like the stuff doesn't fit.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 PM

Stu, listen to Blink's self titled cd, there are awesome accented snare roll solo's scattered around the breakdown's of the songs (go, asthenia) as well as some cool grooves (down, the fallen interlude). I know Blink can rely on the same format for their breakdowns quite a lot, but they sound great, so I don't really care.

As for your 'groove killer' attachment, I honestly think it adds to the song in this case; a nice dichotomy is created between his choppy beats, and Tom's ringing guitar - and the accents weave nicely around the vocals. I think you need to qualify in what way Travis 'kills' the groove before making this harsh criticism of him.

Dude, someting doesn't have to be a straight up rock beat, or jazz beat, or whatever to 'groove'; it's called creativity when drummers try something a little different and make it work (and I think Travis makes it work a LOT of the time). I know you 'don't get' Tool, but I think you should give them another chance if you want to know what a rock drummer that grooves creatively sounds like (since you obviously can't see it in Travis either).
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Here is one of his grooves, not as busy as other ones he often does, which I think fits pretty well with the song.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 nice groove.mp3 (500.2 KB, 579 views)
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
I know Blink can rely on the same format for their breakdowns quite a lot, but they sound great, so I don't really care.
I'll buy that. Hell nearly every Steely Dan cd sounds the same, as well as the Fagen solo stuff, and I still have it all (this is over a 30 year period too!) Ok, that is a gneralization, but you get my drift.

Quote:

As for your 'groove killer' attachment, I honestly think it adds to the song in this case; a nice dichotomy is created between his choppy beats, and Tom's ringing guitar
ok, I'll buy that too, but it still sounds like a drummer playing a cool beat and not listening to the tune. I can sing/visualize a couple more grooving grooves as we speak. I think this is the thing I dislike most about his playing. Sometimes less IS more, and sometimes the silence is more important than the notes. Problem is, there is no silence in his playing.

Quote:
I know you 'don't get' Tool, but I think you should give them another chance if you want to know what a rock drummer that grooves creatively sounds like (since you obviously can't see it in Travis either).
I said I don't get them, but I never said I don't like them. Actually I have pretty much their entire discography. I just don't understand the Cult of Tool following is all.

And again, for the record, Travis is a good drummer and I quite like Blink 182. On third/fourth listen, I'm starting to think Boxcar is even better. My problem comes with the Travis is GOD and he RULEZ comments. A little perspective is all.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I just listened to all of Boxcar, and I don't see too much difference. To demonstrate my love hate relationship with Travis' playing I'll post three files.

The first two demonstrate his obvious flare for nice big continuous roll sounds. The first one he plays 16th note feel doubles, and the second one he slows them down to play sextuplet feel doubles. They both sound really good, but here is the hate part:

I "guess" he is demonstrating his range as a rudimental drummer, however, these two snips are IDENTICAL playing (by the band too, same key, same phrasing concepts, similar tempo, everything). The only thing different is the use of sextuplets for the underlying rolls. It would be more interesting to just merge those two songs into one, and varying the type of roll he uses.
Listen for yourselves:
Attachment 4388
Attachment 4389
Then there is what Tommy Igoe calls a "Groove Killer". This is the signature sound of Barker, and it just doesn't groove. It's all choppy and awkward. It is, in short, a Groove Killer!
Attachment 4390
I'm must admit, I'm a bit disappointed. I like the fact he airs out the music a little better, but still, those damned groove killlers!
Heh, and I always though that song I Feel So was a Blink song (not that there is much of a difference).
remember when i said a couple weeks ago that travis was a great drummer, but in a couple of his songs it felt like he wasnt in pocket a little?? thats what i was talking about! i just didnt know what to call it. and for real, that boxcar son i feel so, we definitely jacked that snare line in a cadence at school for our line it was sweet!!!
tj
Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 PM

Long time lurker, thought I'd chime in on this.

I see everyone disecting his playing yet would you do the same to Ringo, or Charlie Watts? These two have been labeled the greatest rock & roll drummers by many but you don't see many posts saying "these guys suck, I could play that in my sleep". And Benard might ban you if you did :). I'm sure kids in the 60's were using the "Rulez" phrase of the time to describe them.

Simple or not when you hear just the drum parts to Beatles songs (boom-cha-baboom-snare-tom) you instantly know who it is. And I bet kids today could hear just the drum parts to Blink songs and know that it is Travis.

Bottom line is he fits their music well, and he's made a heck of a lot more money playing drums than any one on this board, which says he's doing something right.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenskye
Bottom line is he fits their music well, and he's made a heck of a lot more money playing drums than any one on this board, which says he's doing something right.
Man, (I apologize if you're a woman), Stu's gonna be all over you saying: 'this is exactly my point, just because a drummer is popular does not make him 'god''.

Anyway, Stu, if you wanna hear Travis playing less to play more, check out The Transplants'. Another creative groover: Will Scharf of 'Keelhaul' (seriously overlooked blues-y metal band).
Old 03-23-2006, 05:39 PM

I never said "god". I said he fits the music which in turn made him a lot of money. Same can be said for Ringo, Charlie, Bonham, etc. but very few rip their "simplistic" styles, even though they were given the "god" title from kids at the time. That is my point.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Pioneer Member

i'm with stu for this. i think he made some great points and his musical examples helped understand the opinion too. travis is a great drummer, so maybe he should stop proving himself.