DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Travis Barker

I like watching his solo's really cool stuff. Travis just goes really fast and that seems to impress the crowd and the solo's that Travis does really puts on a good show!!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Pioneer Member

nicely put. as long as the crowd is happy, then thats fine. sometimes if an amazing dummer shows a crowd rudiments it can be dull. he shows off, thats why its fun.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:03 AM

I am very surprised to see people bashing Travis. I got to see him play live with the Transplants at Warped and it was amazing. He plays open handed on a lot of stuff, which i think is sick. He also has a lot of awesome beats with lots of bass drum. He may not be the most flashy drummer and his beats arent to difficult, but you have to appreciate what he's doing. I think on the newest Blink album he has really branched out using electronic drums, more cowbell and wood blocks, etc. I do like Blink and Boxcar. I would NEVER call Travis the best drummer in the world, however he is one of my favorites.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer95
I am very surprised to see people bashing Travis. I got to see him play live with the Transplants at Warped and it was amazing. He plays open handed on a lot of stuff, which i think is sick. He also has a lot of awesome beats with lots of bass drum. He may not be the most flashy drummer and his beats arent to difficult, but you have to appreciate what he's doing. I think on the newest Blink album he has really branched out using electronic drums, more cowbell and wood blocks, etc. I do like Blink and Boxcar. I would NEVER call Travis the best drummer in the world, however he is one of my favorites.
I'm with Drummer95... i too was amazed by him and I still am to an extent.. He is amazing and his skills on a snare are amazing... but sometimes his style can get repetitive i wish i could hear him in a different genre!
Old 11-18-2005, 02:10 AM

I have respect for Travis as well. I think that he truly changed the genre with his innovative and very original drumming. It's not the kind of stuff I listen to often, however I must give him credit for what he has done. At the same time, I agree with those who are saying he doesn't do it for them when compared to Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta. But then again, how many musicians can you compare to Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta. Plus, they didn't have the influence that he did on the punk scene. He started something new! Props to him!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Pioneer Member

by the way, has anyone seen his new signature sticks on sale yet. they were going to be same as last ones, but with felt tips at the butt end, so a double purpose stick if you will. they looked pretty cool.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:25 PM

i would like to say first off THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE TRAVIS BARKER TO PEOPLE LIKE STEVE GADD! They dont play the same thing. I would also like to say that Travis can play the drums very good. I mean most drummers now adays in the pop typer genres suck. Travis doesnt hes the best in his genre and he can play the kit. Travis is a musicion and hes one of the few real good musicians in his genre and he is 10 times better than tre cool if you actually listen to them both you can realize that!

**Travis is a good drummer especially for a person that plays the now adays music
Old 11-25-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperDrums722
i would like to say first off THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE TRAVIS BARKER TO PEOPLE LIKE STEVE GADD! They dont play the same thing. I would also like to say that Travis can play the drums very good. I mean most drummers now adays in the pop typer genres suck. Travis doesnt hes the best in his genre and he can play the kit. Travis is a musicion and hes one of the few real good musicians in his genre and he is 10 times better than tre cool if you actually listen to them both you can realize that!

**Travis is a good drummer especially for a person that plays the now adays music
Travis is good but Tre Cool only plays what fits the music Travis barker does the same but does cool fills Tre also does that I just think Tre has a more punky style to his drumming and I seriously Think Tre Cool is better by far. Tre Cool also has done better in his career as a musician I mean what ever happened to blink-182, and the Transplants just suck..... Boxcar car racer was good but haven't heard from them in a while and Green Day are still going at it!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:01 AM

Of course Travis is going to seem like a so-so drummer when you put him up against people like Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers. I know he is not the greatest, but he is really good. The point that I am trying to make is that just because there is someone out there better than him doesn't mean he sucks. It just means that there is someone better, thats all. He has an extreme love for the instrument and is obviously dedicated to getting better. You can't put someone down for that.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreek291
Of course Travis is going to seem like a so-so drummer when you put him up against people like Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers. I know he is not the greatest, but he is really good. The point that I am trying to make is that just because there is someone out there better than him doesn't mean he sucks. It just means that there is someone better, thats all. He has an extreme love for the instrument and is obviously dedicated to getting better. You can't put someone down for that.
I agree. theres always going to b sum1 better, at sumthin than u r. But he is a good drummer tho and as said b4 he luvs his instrument and he practises and stuff so u cant put him down for that. Just cause hes succesful shouldnt give other drummers the right to put him down, he luvs wat he does, and that should b enough. He's been out there for a while now and thats great so u should praise him for a good job, but Blinks still goin great for him and just cause transplants and Boxcar racer didnt work out as good as blink doesnt mean u should bag him and say "hey look at boxcar and transplants now where r they now, havent herd them 4 a while" i mean u have heard about blink 182. and u still do. Just cause his other 2 bands rnt as big, i mean really how many hugly succesful bands do u want the guy to b in b4 ull say that hes a good drummer! Name drummers hoo hav been as big and known as him and have made 3 equally, hugly succesful bands! Im not sayin there rnt, i just cant think of any at the moment but tell who there is, make sum suggestions cause there probably will b sum.

Now i said all this and i dont even really listen to blink 182. Like if a blink 182 song comes on the radio, ill listen to it and like it. But i dont buy their albums and stuff. But i said all this because i can see that he luvs wat hes doin, he enjoys it. Plus hes a good drummer i dont think u can deny that, like he has skills. So dont put him down just cause u can. Hes a good drummer, my opinion not great or amazing but real good.

Nuff said.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:59 AM

I think Travis Barker has lots of skill. Just not neccasarily a style. Hes amazing at solo's and songs, but when it all comes down to it Blink's songs arn't totally complicated. I give Trav some credit but I think he needs more of a "Style" If you will.

Will
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 PM

i know he isnt the most technical, creative, fastest or anything like that, but i do have to say that he does have a differnt sound from most of the other drummers circulating on mtv and some radio stuff. they all sound the damn same. He does have pretty fast hands if you listen to his solos. and he does good bass drum doubles and not to mention his marching band chops. i dont knw if anyone has seen it but he can do one handed rolls. i saw him do it on the craig kilborn show when he preformed with boxcar. and i saw him do it on an australian show a butt load of times during "i miss you". he does seem to be able to adapt well to different styes. i think he did a really good job on box car racer it really showed the other side of his drumming. he pulled some cool beats, fills and outros and interludes. and i think if he played with better musians then those 4/4 punk rockers( no offense to any punkers) that he could really dish out some cool things. Cause when you play with better musians then you can play better. in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:20 AM
Pioneer Member

The most pathetic part of this thread is the spelling and grammar. I can't even understand what some of you guys are trying to say!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero
The most pathetic part of this thread is the spelling and grammar. I can't even understand what some of you guys are trying to say!!!
That should have been, "The most pathetic parts of this thread are the spelling and grammar." Your subject and predicate were singular but referred to plural modifiers. Also, the lack of necessity for multiple terminal punctuation points should have been covered in your first day of grammar class.
Attached Images

Last edited by DogBreath; 01-31-2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Edited to add Grammar Hammer
Old 11-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
That should have been, "The most pathetic parts of this thread are the spelling and grammar." Your subject and predicate were singular but referred to plural modifiers. Also, the lack of necessity for multiple terminal punctuation points should have been covered in your first day of grammar class.
LOL. Go Dogbreath! U must've been an A+ at English.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 AM
Pioneer Member

From what I've seen, whether or not somebody likes Travis Barker depends on what side of the drumming "fence" they stand on. Guys that are into technique and fast chops tend to have a pretty good opinion of him. On the other side, guys that are more into the creative aspect of drumming tend to think he's a tool. Since I tend to stand close to the middle(or at least try to), I can appreciate what he offers to the world of drumming.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero
Since I tend to stand close to the middle(or at least try to), I can appreciate what he offers to the world of drumming.
Bravo. It would behoove all of us to attempt to take this attitude. There is so much more to appreciate if we just broaden our horizons. Or at the very least, realize that just because we don't particularly like something doesn't mean that it is inherently bad. Taste is personal. Chances are good that if a drummer is famous enough for you to know his name then a significant number of people are getting something out of his music.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Senior Administrator

which is a good place to view all drummers well known enough to warrant their own thread here. they wouldn't be well known unless they did the job well. putting down any drummer who is on several records shows a lack of understanding and also reveals a certain jealousy. sometimes a drummer is simply told what to play and has to play what he is told. other times a drummer makes all the decisions. both are valid parts of the craft - with shades between. since we cannot know the actual process leading up to every finished product we cannot really stand in judgement. we can criticise to a degree but always with the humility of people who weren't there.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 AM

eh for a while when dave lombardo left slayer TRAVIS was asked to replace him so i think thats sayin something
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

I think Travis is a very good drummer, but he's not one of those drummers who plays ok in the band songs, then plays amazing in the solos. He really lets loose in the songs. I will admit though, its mostly speed. He's very fast, but can also be technical. u have to remember though, it is a punk band. He did get the works when he was young too. Jazz lessons, scholl bands, etc. He's also still young. He'll get better over time. I think he's good.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:18 AM

his drums and the beat he played on the boost mobile commercial was pretty sweet. He has so much dedication to drumming, he loves everything about him. And on that note, i can respect him. I do think he is an amazing drummer, not the greatest, but he is damn good. Try playing the begginning of feeling this..
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: travis barkers e drum

you need a pad, and a td-6 module.... so around 600.00 or so
Old 12-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernator
Try playing the begginning of feeling this..
The beginning of feeling this isn't hard :)...

But i agree that he has skills, and his drumming is pretty ahead of most punkdrummers,so...cheers to him.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Pioneer Member

it's harder than you think. lotsa ghost notes there. and whoever posted before you, don't laugh at the guy. have some self respect.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:59 AM

well there is some ghosts notes but its not really anything. ive seen him do it many times. its just a triplet with a an accent on the first beat. nothing to hard
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
it's harder than you think. lotsa ghost notes there. and whoever posted before you, don't laugh at the guy. have some self respect.
That's not harder than i think.

For a beginner, it's hard. But i think most of us aren't beginners here,so...

Dance of Eternity is hard :)
Old 12-07-2005, 04:38 PM

travis is a great drummer to get influences from....i mean, i play in all sorts of bands, but i started in a punk band, and i kept listening to him...his influence got my speed up, which gave me the confidence to feel like i was ready for anything...he's not the studio drummer best, because he doesn't put as much into that, but he makes everything faster and more amazing live for me to give him the credit he deserves...but i think he's great for people to listen to when first starting out on drums...you build up speed, and then you begin to look at all aspects of drumming differently...it makes some things seem easier...i guess what i'm trying to say is that i'm kind of proud to find people who don't criticize Travis Barker like they did in Drum! magazine....um, ya..
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
That's not harder than i think.

For a beginner, it's hard. But i think most of us aren't beginners here,so...

Dance of Eternity is hard :)
ah, sorry. i know its not too hard, and i was mainly annoyed at the other guy laughing. i like how travis keeps a simple set, and is still able to do some really neat fills on it. although if you want simple, take a look at the subways drummer's set.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
ah, sorry. i know its not too hard, and i was mainly annoyed at the other guy laughing. i like how travis keeps a simple set, and is still able to do some really neat fills on it. although if you want simple, take a look at the subways drummer's set.
Yeah, true, he does invent some cool fills. He uses a lot of hihat in them too, that's a good thing.

I'm not a big fan of huge kits...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Pioneer Member

i guess since im such a huge fan of travis barker and always have been im gonna post my 2 cents worth. i really enjoy travis barkers chops, creativity, and style when it comes to playing. not only is he a amazing drummer but hes fun to watch. hes very animated and has a really distinctive sound. he grew up playin latin, jazz, and calypso style drumming so hes very well rounded. i suggest you guys download his MTV Duets episode and see how he taught a kid to drum along side him to "Stay together for the kids"-blink 182. he does some really cool fills in there, and displays his creativity very well. overall people should stop knockin travis and calling him a showoff, and overrated because if you did a little research before posting you'd find that the man has killer chops, and a very wicked style, and he intergrates it all together in a awesomly creative manner. thanks for your time.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

I have allways loved travis. i knew a guy that has drumed with him, he said that he is a REALLY nice guy, and you give him a song, 3 mins you have an insane beat and creative fills. He is well rounded, shown in a video on this site. Also i find his stuff fun to play and to watch.
thank you for your time,
-Cj
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 PM

Travis reminds me of the wild man from Borneo sometimes
He's all over the place like a mad man ha ha he he
Old 01-09-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Travis Barker Sound

What type of heads would give me a sound simler to travis barker. I dont know many other drumers, but Blink 182 is basicly my favorit band.(please dont come here to flam me him or there music) Some other bands I like are AC DC, ZZ Tops, Green Day, Santania, Deep purple, U2, NOFX, Wezzer, Maticalica(Sp?) and many more.

Any sugestions of heads / tuning are welcomed. If it is posable I want to only change my batter heads.

Thank you,
Red
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: Travis Barker Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead
What type of heads would give me a sound simler to travis barker. I dont know many other drumers, but Blink 182 is basicly my favorit band.(please dont come here to flam me him or there music) Some other bands I like are AC DC, ZZ Tops, Green Day, Santania, Deep purple, U2, NOFX, Wezzer, Maticalica(Sp?) and many more.

Any sugestions of heads / tuning are welcomed. If it is posable I want to only change my batter heads.

Thank you,
Red
Deeper toms (Barkers are acryllic, no?) with 2 ply clear heads tuned low. You can't possible get the sound of all those bands you mentioned, since there are some really varying drum sounds in there.

Sounds like you are a candidate for Remo Pinstripes though, for sure.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 AM

I know that Barker used Remo Smooth White Emperors. I've used these before and there's a lot of attack and clarity with a decent amount of overtones. I'm not sure about the other drummers you listed though I would imagine that they all tend to use 2-ply heads of varying brands.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
cheers.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:10 PM

Good because i was thinking remo pin strips.
How about the ruff number of turns on the lugs?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:27 AM

well for the best sound out of the drums, i tune them really low (1 360 turn of the tension rod)..but tuning is best left to experimentation considering i dont know what kind of kit you have, or how it would sound in your room...start out from 1 full turn and then just work your way up to how you like it
Pro-mark Japan White Oak
Old 01-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Pinstripes are what your looking for dude. They give a pretty fat tone. Hydrolics will definitley work for the punk rock thing, but be warned. THEY HAVE NO OVERTONES OR RESPONSE. For punk rock though, I'd go for Hydrolics. Since you listed a few different rock bands who have different drum sounds, I'd go for the pinstripes.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 AM

how are evens G2? and I think I would like the coated more not shore tho
Old 01-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Pioneer Member

i don't like to get into comparing them. i assume travis is better, but it's dangerous territory.

his new band plus 44 only has one song to hear at the moment, and he only comes in at the end, but it pretty much sums up the average thing to expect from travis. speed and groove. any band would be proud of his talent i think.