DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Elemental Nausea

Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecustom
Honestly , I also wasnt all that impressed with the solo, but try doing that in front of 20,000 people. Also if you were in a pop punk band like Blink , and knew that most of your fans were not as musically intelligent as other audiences of other types of genres, wouldnt you just try to impress the crowd by going real fast, and crazy. He is just trying to please the crowd, just going with the flow, you know what I mean. But yes i do agree on the thing about his cymbals being to high up, that must be uncomfortable. Oh well just think about playing in front of 20,000 people, untill you have and pulled a better job then Travis ... then you can talk.
I think so too in a way, he had to please the crowd which was musically not that intelligent I guess, cause I also thought the solo was very simple , at least the grooves, some other stuff was better, but all in all ,not a very good and creative solo, he also did to many long breaks I think.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
i really don't get why folks dislike him so much. something about a tv show? i haven't seen anything. he is quite fast and is more of an entertainer than a technical drummer but there seems to be a lot of bashing here. he's good.

j

Nutha, I can't speak for everyone, but the dislike comes from him being famous, not for his skills. I would like to disagree with a previous post and say that a lot of us CAN play that, but we choose not to, because it wasn't very good. I don't think fast automatically equals good, and that wasn't even really fast.

So he's good at crowd pleasing (mohawk, cool drums, cool tatoos) but he evidently isn't good at impressing other drummers.

I personally think his show is great and I think he's a pretty cool dude. I also like Blink-182, just not for the drumming. It has its place, but it doesn't have a place along the likes of Steve Gadd, Dennis Chamber et. al.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Travis is todays Tommy Lee, hes in the spot light, on TV all the time, but doesn't have that legendary drummer sound. Yes Tommy Lee and Travis have talent, but no uinique style, they just play fast.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 PM

http://ocdrum.com/barker/

was just checking out OCDP's website and they had a travis barker solo video. for anyone who is interested.

personally, i thought most of it was pretty simple, but he had some pretty cool fills now and then. he rocks out hardcore when he drums. he better be careful or his head will go through his tom.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:50 AM
bonzo_is_the_greatest

What a waste of a solo. Travis' new solo fue; or whatever sucks so much. I would have to be the worst solo i have ever seen, he is just playin a few simple rock beats and then there is like thousands of 14 year old girls screamin in the background. How did somebody with such little talent get such a good reputation? Can somebody please tell me!!!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo_is_the_greatest
What a waste of a solo. Travis' new solo fue; or whatever sucks so much. I would have to be the worst solo i have ever seen, he is just playin a few simple rock beats and then there is like thousands of 14 year old girls screamin in the background. How did somebody with such little talent get such a good reputation? Can somebody please tell me!!!!!
dude, just because he played a simple solo doesn't mean he has "LITTLE TALENT" as you put it. i've seen and heard him play some really good stuff live. just because he wanted to rock out to some simple beats and have a good time doesn't mean he can't do any better.

i'm not one of those that thinks he is the greatest drummer or that he is even up to par with some of my favorite drummers, but i give credit when it is due. he is a good drummer. so you should calm down and rethink things before you start calling people "talentless".
Old 08-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo_is_the_greatest
Ha ha. I'd like to see you play like that in front of all of those people.
Those diss him man. He's a great drummer. He never was the best and never will be, and yes he is overrated, but don't hate him because his "popular" or "famous." You make it seem like it's his fault.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:21 PM
horsefly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsjr44
I know I might catch flak for this but, Travis Barker is now where even close to being in the top 100 rock drummers of all time.

The solo was very basic and boring.
umm yea actually i've already looked that up he #80 on the top 100 list. neil peart is number 1. but he is ranked. i do like travis a lot but i do not think he is the best. love him or hate him you have to give him credit, he has made blink 182 a lot better, he's been taking lessons since he was 4 and some of those lessons were jazz lessons. his marching drum abilities are really good as well, i have seen a clip of that. i have seen a lot of solo's of him, some are good, some are ok, some are crap. but i can't stand to read of how people say that he stinks, hes not a top 100 drummer, and all that crap. IMO and i could care less of what others think, it's people like him that inspire young people to start drumming. i think he is good but not nearly the best, he is fast, but not the fastest. i like the guy but im not one of those people who says he is God and all that stuff.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
horsefly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
Ha ha. I'd like to see you play like that in front of all of those people.
Those diss him man. He's a great drummer. He never was the best and never will be, and yes he is overrated, but don't hate him because his "popular" or "famous." You make it seem like it's his fault.
i agree man, and i heard some guy on this thread say something like he needs to take solo lessons and stuff with all his money or whatever, the guy learned 20 songs in 2 hours when he first came to blink. all these people who flame travis, could you all learn 20 songs in 2 hours and then play it with no screw ups before a show?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Not to come off as pompous. But having played punk music in a somewhat reminicient setting to the style of Blink 182 and that genre for many years. I don't feel it would be that hard to learn to play 20 songs in 2 hours that sound almost exactly the same and most have the same format of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, half time breakdown and chorus. Just a thought.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker Double Stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat1212
if you ask me i think its just a marketing scam. they aren too good at all adn u ahve a bad balacne point for the stick. plus travis barker doestn even use them. zildjian thought that since his normal sticsk are popular these will be too. they are nto great. dont buy them.
Right on man i bought a pair with out checking them out at the store got home and used them and thought they were junk!!! DO NOT BUY HORRIBLE STICKS!!!

Peace- John
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 AM
BrKnGBeN

i just got a pair of his regular sticks and i liek them a lot... whats do you guys think about em?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 PM

Well, don't the mallets get in the way of the heel of your palm, or weigh down the back of the stick?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:05 PM
illbefamous

Default Travis Barker

Although learning 20 songs in two hours may be kinda simple, it might be more difficult for him, knowing that every song would have a different beat for the verses/choruses, i mean, he's got a sound that's different from just about any other drummer out there, he doesnt JUST play punk, he was in metal bands before, regae, acoustic, all kinds of stuff. I mean just listen to like the transplants (im not saying the group is great or anything belive me) but i mean, the variation in the beats he plays for those songs, and for blink, or boxcar racer, boxcar racer, he has some of the phatest beats and fills on those tracks.

Travis Barker page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-27-2005 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 09-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Yes phantastic - great

Bernhard
Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 PM
illbefamous

mr. bernhard, what's your output on travis?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 PM

What's up with Transplants they have this hip hop sound now I mean Rob is a cool guy I like his rapping but then they have this whole rapping crue and there bobbin' there heads and stuff. And there's many drummers like Travis out there. There's nothing really unique about Travis's playing.....
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbefamous
mr. bernhard, what's your output on travis?
Well, coming in and in the first post starting a Travis thread seems a bit pathetic.... didn't you make a SEARCH first?
--

I don't get it: 20 songs in two hours?? why this, doesn't sound serious. And for the phat Sound: has nothing to do with his playing - ask the ingenieers....

Just saw for the first time "Meet the Barkers" yesterday - and I was really dissapointed. Travis was so stoned, he even didn't recognise his own son.

Bernhard
Old 09-09-2005, 12:19 AM

puts Travis and Tommy in the same barrel pretty quick. But, I wouldn't call alot of famous drummers Saints by any means.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Senior Administrator

i locked the last travis thread. and i'll lock this one too if it gets out of hand. all that needs to be said against the tatooed one was said on the last thread. so search and read there before you post here. if it comes to bashing again this thread will be stopped. perhaps only people who appreciate something about the man should post here. all the bashers have had more than their fair say in the old thread.

as for me, my band covers 'all the small things' and it gets one of the best resopnses from the audience. its not hard to play and is actually quite fun. nuff said.

i'll watch this thread with interest.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 PM

i think drumming and lifestyle should be separated. as sad as it is, music and drugs seem to go hand in hand in many situations today. i myself have been an on and off travis fan. needless to say i know for a fact that he has inspired many of the younger generation drummers to pick up a pair of sticks. as for his talent, it certainly is there. after getting really into the drumming scene i realized he wasnt all as great as i had once thought when i was younger.i had come to realize his drumming was nothing special or creative with blink 182 or boxcar racer (despite a few good licks here and there). then i recently saw him play live with the transplants and i was blown away by the creativity. it was a whole new style of playing i had never seen before and it instantaniously made me a travis fan again. Sure, hes hyped up a bit much by media and such, and regardless of the drugs, the man deserves some credit.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:13 PM

for a couple years i studied travis a lot. i watched a lot of videos, all the drumsolos, i know how to play every blink song including the new album that just came out. i watched videos of him in the recording studio. I use to think he was best thing ever, but i expanded my thinking and realized that he wasnt as good as i thought,i started listening to tool and led zeppelin so i then i realized that he was nothing compared to those guys. but travis seems to be able to pull of something new every album. i think he did a really good job on the boxcar racer album. he was always ahead of the other drummers in the other pop punk band i think travis is overrated but underated at the same time. millions of people say that he is the best thing ever. and then theres the crowd that says o he overated hes not that good. but i think his playing is restricted by the people he plays with. like these punk musicians(not to bag on them or anything) hes restricted to simple time signatures and other things like that. im sure if he played with someone like from a more technical band like from tool for example. im not saying hes going to be the most amazing but you have give him some more credit
Old 09-24-2005, 12:47 AM

I love the fact that if a guy is working for his next meal drumming and plays like Travis he'd be considered by more people as great, then he gets successful and everyone is like "he's so overrated". Travis is a great drummer period. Is he one of the best ever? Probably not. Now one of the best out now? That could be argued. And think about it how many drummers are known by the general public for THERE DRUMMING. You have Tommy Lee who's known more for his sex tapes and maybe Tre Cool and that's more that he's in such a reconisable band. But even before Travis got his reality show he was reconized as a great drummer. Think about the bands he's been in. Blink 182, Boxcar Racer, The Aquabats. He carried every lats one of them. The only time I've ever been disappointed with him is in the Transplants and I still give him respect in that. As far as being a stoner goes OH NO PEOPLE IN ROCK AND ROLL ARE BAD. You wanna say that than you might as well go " Hey remember that drunk Keith Moon" or " remember that drug addict John Bohnam" Hell Buddy Rich was known for being a jerk to members of his band. But the men and woman on this site aren't on here for being good people. There here for there drumming. And Travis can drum.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian232
for a couple years i studied travis a lot. i watched a lot of videos, all the drumsolos, i know how to play every blink song including the new album that just came out. i watched videos of him in the recording studio. I use to think he was best thing ever, but i expanded my thinking and realized that he wasnt as good as i thought,i started listening to tool and led zeppelin so i then i realized that he was nothing compared to those guys. but travis seems to be able to pull of something new every album. i think he did a really good job on the boxcar racer album. he was always ahead of the other drummers in the other pop punk band i think travis is overrated but underated at the same time. millions of people say that he is the best thing ever. and then theres the crowd that says o he overated hes not that good. but i think his playing is restricted by the people he plays with. like these punk musicians(not to bag on them or anything) hes restricted to simple time signatures and other things like that. im sure if he played with someone like from a more technical band like from tool for example. im not saying hes going to be the most amazing but you have give him some more credit
Why are you always talking about how good Danny and John are I mean sure there great drummers but you can't always compare Different styles of drumming Travis is way different then Danny carey like Blink-182 or Transplants is different from tool. Everytime you post you talk about how good these drummers are. All drummers are different they play what there good at now Travis deosn't only play pop stuff but he plays jazz but I would say he fits in the pop/punk catagory and that's what he plays and I don't think he would really change from that but the Drumming for Boxcar Racer really impressed me and had some Jazz drumming on some of the tracks.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

I'm not a fan of Barker or any of his bands or his genre in general, but I think he is pretty good. You ever watch that video with him playing the marching snare? Hes got some skills. He knows what hes doing.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:25 AM
Senior Consultant

You know, he doesn't get a lot of credit among drummers. He does among the general populace for sure, but I don't think people recognise what he is because of other factors like jealousy for example. I think he's a good drummer. I don't like Blink 182, or Boxcar Racer, and he's not my favorite drummer. Giving credit where credit is due, the guy's got some chops together and he feels very good in that context. I wonder how he plays jazz and latin stuff.
In conclusion... the guy's a good drummer!! People are too rough.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
You know, he doesn't get a lot of credit among drummers. He does among the general populace for sure, but I don't think people recognise what he is because of other factors like jealousy for example. I think he's a good drummer. I don't like Blink 182, or Boxcar Racer, and he's not my favorite drummer. Giving credit where credit is due, the guy's got some chops together and he feels very good in that context. I wonder how he plays jazz and latin stuff.
In conclusion... the guy's a good drummer!! People are too rough.
Totally with theduke. He does have some good chops together and he can play better than alot of people. And of course the energy and style he has is perfect for the music he plays, so thats another reason he gets the gigs. In no way is he my favorite drummer and the music is in no way my favorite either, but he still is a good drummer (better than most in the genre that I've heard, so that's a plus). I'm also wondering how he'd sound in jazz or latin contexts, because I have heard that he enjoys playing that stuff as well...
Old 09-24-2005, 09:32 AM

i know that travis doesnt just play punk, but thats waht he plays. i saw a short video of travis doing a pretty damn cool latin beat. but jazz and latin isnt really what he plays. he can but hes not in some big band playing jazz. i can hear the latin and jazz infulences but 90% is him being a rock drummer
Old 09-24-2005, 10:44 PM

These Travis Barker/(insert a popular drummer name or your choice ) "he's overrated but not as much as you think" debates will never end ...

The guy is an excellent drummer, he is quite creative and can groove very well in his genre !

I am tired of people telling " well bro he ain't Colaiuta or Donati", the talents of a drummer cannot only be measured by technical chops people.
Phill Rudd can make a stadium dancing like no other and his technique is not spectacular.
But he plays the best rock/blues/boogie grooves on the planet !
There are other things : feel, creativity, pocket, groove, showmanship, sound (listen to the latest Blink, Travis sounds excellent on this), charisma, originality, taste etc etc

That is All !
Old 09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Pioneer Member

for a little while recently i was obssesed with travis' drumming, and i still hold him in high regard. and yes, i have heard virgil donati, steve gadd, thomas lang, jojo meyer (spelling) and the like, and they can all do certain things better than him, but travis can play damn fast, and has some pretty neat co-ordination too. but beyond that, he comes up with some very inventive drum patterns. although many blink songs are just the normal rock beats, listen to "adam's song". definately playable by most drummers, but how did he come up with it?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 PM

I think all you "Travis Barker/Tre cool/otherpopulardrummers is so over rated" people should just cut these guys some slack. They are doing what they love to do; drum. They are doing damn well too. Blink 182 was the band that influcenced me to start playing music. After i got Enema of the State, I really wanted a guitar. I got one and have been playing it for like 5 years. Just recently i wanted drums. I've been drumming for a year now. These guys are inpiration for alot of people. Plus Travis seriously practices all day long. He just drums and drums. Just let him do what he loves.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:48 AM

Travis = Fast, invetive with some patterns but after this boring and the same
Old 09-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Pioneer Member

I know I might be contradicting myself from the last Barker thread, but let me go on record as saying, after seriously scrutinizing his videos and this thread, that Travis is a good drummer. Yes, he isn't the technical master some think he should be, but the important thing to remember is that if Blink 182 didn't have him, they'd be nothing. Not sure if this is an urban myth or not, but my drum teacher, in a debate about Travis, said that during Blink's first recording session, the producer booted the other drummer out and stuck Travis in. He liked his punky grooves so much in fact that he saw them through to stardom.

If that's true, then that says a lot, and even if its an urban myth, Travis speaks for himself. He plays in the pocket for his band, and does what he likes best: playing drums the way he likes them. You don't have to be Bobby Jarzombek to be respected behind the kit, but you do have to make people move to your beat. Travis does this. No, he's not the best, nowhere close in my humble opinion, but he is good. And we should respect for not only that, but for his drumming stardom and the thousands of teens who pick up the sticks because of him (hmmm, why does the name "Ringo" come to mind?).
Old 09-27-2005, 05:14 PM

my $0.02...

Blink 182 would be just another punk band, were it not for Travis. He brought the energy, the fire, to the group. He has chops, and he plays in Blink 182, among other projects. He's a drummer that gets paid to do what he loves to do.

There is a certain amount of luck when you become famous, if you ever get the chance to do so. Travis is a lucky man, and I think he'd be the first to tell you so. I could be wrong, but I detect a hint of Jealousy in some of these posts...? Why him and not me? What's his deal?
If you can control LUCK, then give me your number so I can take lessons from you! :-)
Old 09-28-2005, 06:05 AM

This post cracks me up. Here we are, drummers, all of us, known far and wide by musicians as the brand of instrumentalists MOST likely to help one another out or teach each other, raise each other up and endorse each other and each other's abilities are RAILING on a guy who has just had the good fortune to be as successful as he has.

Yes, I will be the first to admit that Travis Barker is crazy and damn near out of his mind. Being that high and that much of a "hey, check me out with my sweet cash and reality show" type guy is not appealing to me at all. What IS appealing is his ideas, his abilities and talent (all of which are quite obvious).

On the one hand, Travis grooves his butt off and this, coupled with his obvious enjoyment and love of the drums has inspired people the world over to start playing the drums. What's wrong with that? In my thinking, that's the mark of a great drummer. No, he doesn't do amazing four-way independance like Marco Minnemann or Thomas Lang. He doesn't have a sweet leftfoot cowbell like El Negro. The difference between all of these players I've mentioned, great and astounding as they all are, is that Travis plays things the everyday public can understand (with the exception of some of his ridiculous roll/fills that are WAY too punk). People like to bob their head to the music and it seems to me that Travis understands that putting a fat groove underneath a track makes it FAR more memorable than a drummer who can play 6/8 on his left side and 12/4 on his right.

Hello world. I dig the grooves that Travis lays down. "The Fallen Interlude" on Blink's last disc was amazing. The backbeat turnaround on Boxcar Racer's "Elevator" MADE that song what it is which is a great song. So he's nuts and probably a bad personal role model, but what are you watching the reality show for? I'd rather be playing.

cheers.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Pioneer Member

i have to agree about the fuel solo. i was not impressed. i think most people here could have played that. on my blink dvd there is a higher quality version of the other solo on this site and it's much better. at one point, you can't even tell what he's doing it's so fast. was he controlling the lights with a pedal for that fuel solo? cos he never moves his high hat pedal and theres a little mechanism next to him. that would explain a lot. anyone know?
Old 10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
illbefamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
.....although many blink songs are just the normal rock beats, listen to "adam's song". definately playable by most drummers, but how did he come up with it?

exactly man, that stuff he plays is so creative, i mean is there really another drummer out there who plays stuff just like his? That's what makes travis stand out, there are so many drummers who play solid and hardly any fills (not saying thats a bad thing) that all play the same stuff and all sound the same. This is why travis stands out.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 AM

Default travis barkers e drum

i hate to admit it, but im a blink 182 fan........ we all have our weaknesses. anywho, i was wondering what kind of e drum thing he uses. it plays like a subwoofer kind of sound. i was also wondering what something like that would cost, for the pad and a drum machine, for cheap.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: travis barkers e drum

its a rolands 808. im a fan too so dont feel bad.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: travis barkers e drum

That's an 808 sound triggered by a regular pad. I saw him this summer at Warped Tour (blah! except Relient K, Bedouin Soundclash, MxPx and Underoath) and that sound was CRAZY! They had it so loud I think it might've permantently altered my heartbeat.
cheers.