DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #921  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer_kid View Post
So i've read some of your posts saying things like you don't think that Travis isthe best drummer because he's only got a FEW of the attributes that "the best" drummers should have....well.....then what are they? travis has speed, creativity, he catches on real quick, and he's good in many types of music....what other things does it take?.... i'm just asking so then i can know what kind of things i need to work on


Well, you need all those things, but developed to a much higher standard than Travis Barker. When has Barker shown to be good in many types of music? He's great in playing loud pop-punk, but i'm not sure he's ever demonstrated the dynamic ability to play funk or jazz for example.
Reply With Quote
  #922  
Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM
drummer_kid drummer_kid is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Well, you need all those things, but developed to a much higher standard than Travis Barker. When has Barker shown to be good in many types of music? He's great in playing loud pop-punk, but i'm not sure he's ever demonstrated the dynamic ability to play funk or jazz for example.
well...i see your point... but he did start out drumming mainly with jazz... so i guess you could say his roots are in jazz and rudemental stuff..... but i do see where you are coming from.... and thinking abouyt it more.... i am changing my statment from "the best drummer" to my favorite drummer... because any drummer can improve and i don't think the world will ever see "the best" drummer, because there's always gonna be someone better
Reply With Quote
  #923  
Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 AM
allthumbs allthumbs is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker is ok...not all that.But he has something we never will fame and fortune.
Reply With Quote
  #924  
Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Deltadrummer's Avatar
Deltadrummer Deltadrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,685
Default Re: Travis Barker

Where can I get the intro to Feeling This? I learned it, I just want to make sure it's right.
__________________
Ken Marino Drum Teacher "It's not worth keeping score. You win some. You lose some, you let it go"
Reply With Quote
  #925  
Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
t_rav's Avatar
t_rav t_rav is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Travis Barker

HOW CAN YOU SAY TRAVIS IS JUST SPEED AND NO SUBSTANCE!
that only shows you guys dont know his work
listen to boxcar racer and you will hear some of the most creative drum tracks ever!

TRAVIS BARKER IS FAST BUT FAR FAR AWAY FROM BEEING JUST SPEED
__________________
+44
Reply With Quote
  #926  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
foursticks's Avatar
foursticks foursticks is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 990
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rav View Post
HOW CAN YOU SAY TRAVIS IS JUST SPEED AND NO SUBSTANCE!
that only shows you guys dont know his work
listen to boxcar racer and you will hear some of the most creative drum tracks ever!

TRAVIS BARKER IS FAST BUT FAR FAR AWAY FROM BEEING JUST SPEED
Substance isnt 'just creativity - sure that's an important part of it, but what's the use of it when you can't play it with enough feel?
Travis' playing lacks a certain warmth, which is what some people, I suppose, are saying. He's a classic example of chops over groove..

That's my opinion anyway, so please don't attack me.
__________________
"You can play a shoestring if your sincere." - John Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #927  
Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Matt-a-tat-tat Matt-a-tat-tat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_159 View Post
Travis Barker is an awesome drummer and for people to say that he is not versatile and that he only plays punk music is crap. he is very musical and plays a lot of hip-hop, his drumming is featured with some of todays hottest artists. If you think he's over rated, "who cares" he is not a self absorbed person what-so-ever and never suggested that he was the greatest or fastest drummer. He is doing his job and that is to play drums.
Travis Barker doesn't play punk and neither does Blink 182 because Travis Barker isn't punk and neither is Blink 182. Wannabes, posers: yes. Punks: no.
Reply With Quote
  #928  
Old 04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
skippy's Avatar
skippy skippy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: league city, houston, texas, usa
Posts: 283
Default Re: Travis Barker

well in modern drummer travis said he wast just a punk drummer matt. i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer. every one of you is on the steve gadd jojo mayer(i love both of them) band wagon. if someone comes on with a different opinion then you all attack them. travis is not the best drummer. i learned to play drums by playing along with blink cds. but all you "HIGH AND MIGHTY" drummers need to learn that you are in no place to judge them. dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique. who cars if they can play jazz and funk. they are playing what they love to play just as you and i do. i know this will not make any of you think twice about what you say because no matter what you think youre right. so its just whatever. but put yourself in the person who feels that they have to defend their favorite drummer. what if it were steve gadd...?
Reply With Quote
  #929  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Vinnysimmo Vinnysimmo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gislaved, Sweden
Posts: 297
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-a-tat-tat View Post
Travis Barker doesn't play punk and neither does Blink 182 because Travis Barker isn't punk and neither is Blink 182. Wannabes, posers: yes. Punks: no.
Agree. (I agree so much that i need 20 charachters to express it)
__________________
"The point of a warmup is to warm up, not throw yourself into boiling water!"
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #930  
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
drummer_kid drummer_kid is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
Substance isnt 'just creativity - sure that's an important part of it, but what's the use of it when you can't play it with enough feel?
Travis' playing lacks a certain warmth, which is what some people, I suppose, are saying. He's a classic example of chops over groove..

That's my opinion anyway, so please don't attack me.
for starters, i'm not attacking you...everyone has there own opinion and it's the mature thing to respect that. but i THINK the reason we don't see much "warmth" from him is beacuse "warmth" isn't is style. i THINK he mostly thinks hit it hard, loud and fast to make a good mark on the song and to leave a good impression. but i think that it's also an imprtant thing to be able to have that sense of warmth on the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #931  
Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
well in modern drummer travis said he wast just a punk drummer matt. i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer. every one of you is on the steve gadd jojo mayer(i love both of them) band wagon. if someone comes on with a different opinion then you all attack them. travis is not the best drummer. i learned to play drums by playing along with blink cds. but all you "HIGH AND MIGHTY" drummers need to learn that you are in no place to judge them. dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique. who cars if they can play jazz and funk. they are playing what they love to play just as you and i do. i know this will not make any of you think twice about what you say because no matter what you think youre right. so its just whatever. but put yourself in the person who feels that they have to defend their favorite drummer. what if it were steve gadd...?



spoken like a TRUE musician.

peace be with you, man.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #932  
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

a lot of people on this forum have to be asked this question;
whats your definition of "the best"?
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #933  
Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
well in modern drummer travis said he wast just a punk drummer matt. i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer. every one of you is on the steve gadd jojo mayer(i love both of them) band wagon. if someone comes on with a different opinion then you all attack them. travis is not the best drummer. i learned to play drums by playing along with blink cds. but all you "HIGH AND MIGHTY" drummers need to learn that you are in no place to judge them. dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique. who cars if they can play jazz and funk. they are playing what they love to play just as you and i do. i know this will not make any of you think twice about what you say because no matter what you think youre right. so its just whatever. but put yourself in the person who feels that they have to defend their favorite drummer. what if it were steve gadd...?
First of all, my official opinion of Travis Barker is that he's a great drumming entertainer, who is better than his detractors claim, and not nearly on the level his fanboys believe. I also hear he's a super nice guy and a pretty down to earth guy. So he probably gets this too.

But that's not why I came here.

Skippy, I remember when you were around here a lot a couple of years ago. Almost everything that ever came out of your mouth was Travis Barker and how the high and mighty drummers of the world were mistreating him---high and mighty meaning those who didn't go hog wild over your guy like you did. Now you claim that you have these other drummers you admire, but I can't recall a single post where you ever had a qualatative thing to say about them, past one or 2 observations.

Sorry man, that's not opinion, that's blind fanboy adulation.

And that's my opinion, based on observing with great interest your point of view over the years, weighing the evidence, comparing one issue to another, observing how your comments about other drummers were mostly jealousy rants where you pointed out what you believed to be their weaknesses, because you thought admirers of those guys were being unfair to your guy etc...And most importantly listening, listening, listening to all the music, not just half a Buddy Rich video or 30 seconds of Elvin Jones that gives you just enough insight to know that he liked big fat rolls. I mean really listening to the other side. And yeah, I've listened to a lot of Travis Barker. In fact, if you go to the most widely viewed Travis Barker youtubes, you'll see my videos in the response section, 2 inches up from the comments.

That's how you put together an actual opinion. It's not a result of the first knee jerk reaction to come flying out of your head. This is something I have a real problem with on drum forums especially, where somebody will simply dismiss or label every thing ever said an opinion as if every utterance or act of babbling carries equal weight. How convenient it is to use terms like high and mighty when anyone can see that it's nothing but a tactic to even the terms of the discussion, when one side doesn't want to engage in the work required to have a real discussion. So instead the tactic is to try and punk the actual thought as something not cool, or something put out there by a mean old snob to make you look bad. It's also interesting to me that there was this comedy movie a couple of years ago called Idiocracy that made fun of a society 500 years in the future that thought just like this. You ought to look at it man, because almost every character in it is a fanboy who thinks every single thing is an opinion.

Seriously, I'm tired of this POV, because there are a lot of younger guys trying to do it the right way, and to me this dumb it down for everybody stuff just makes everybody under 20 look bad, and it can't be helping the image of Barker, Jordison etc, anymore than the older fanboys of Bonham, Peart or Buddy Rich can possibly be helping them.

You want to be taken more seriously? You listen to the other side and try to be serious about it. And when there are educated contradictions that can proven 1000 different ways, then you have to accept them as facts, and not opinions, because they're 2 different things. Because I don't feel that's something you've ever done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
a lot of people on this forum have to be asked this question; whats your definition of "the best"?
Is that your opinion?
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #934  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy Jonesy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 185
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique.
Do you even know what forum you're in?
Reply With Quote
  #935  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique.
Of course it gives you no right to say that, because that would constitute an unqualified opinion, thus making your statement wrong. Using the technique comparison for example, to say Mayer had no chops would be a contradiction of the obvious. When for example a Travis fan talks about his blinding untouchable speed, that can be refuted by actual statistics and computer analysis. Some fanboys don't like to hear that, so they respond by saying your actual facts are just your opinion, while their rose colored guess is an opinion of equal value.

See what I'm sayin'? It's a load of garbage and the Internet is only place you see it where anybody takes it seriously.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #936  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Matt-a-tat-tat Matt-a-tat-tat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Travis Barker

everybody's entitled to their opinion. Some opinions are more informed than others. For instance: if I was an anstronaut and I had seen something I felt was a flying saucer and held the opinion that flying saucers were real and you (not an astronaut and had not ever seen anything that could not be explained) held the opinion that flying saucers were not real, my opinion would be more informed than yours. Some of the drummers on here have a ton of skill and education and style to have an informed, qualified opinion of travis barker: mainly that he sucks and is overrated. I for one cannot stand Mustard. It is my opinion that mustard sucks. To others Mustard is great. Does the fact that I think mustard sucks mean that I'm an idiot or that I shouldn't express my opinion that Mustard sucks? Now it might be difficult to have a real informed, qualified, expert opinion that thwarts all other's attempts at swaying me or someone about the virtues of Mustard but it's still an opinion and it's valid. I also think travis barker is a terrible but capable drummer - he has maintained a career as a drummer but he gets more praise than he deserves. Mainly I hate him because now all these little Xgames rapper d-bags are running around sporting the poser punk look calling themselves punks and ruining a subculture I hold very close and dear to my heart. And it's all his fault. Him and the morons who rapped that Butterfly Sugar song and the Cottonmouth Kings.

and just because someone says they're a punk doesn't mean they're a punk. it takes a little more than a bunch of tattoos and a mohawk (which puh diddy or diddy or whatever that retard calls himself was sporting a while ago) to make someone a punk.

Last edited by Matt-a-tat-tat; 05-14-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #937  
Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-a-tat-tat View Post
everybody's entitled to their opinion. Some opinions are more informed than others. For instance: if I was an anstronaut and I had seen something I felt was a flying saucer and held the opinion that flying saucers were real and you (not an astronaut and had not ever seen anything that could not be explained) held the opinion that flying saucers were not real, my opinion would be more informed than yours. Some of the drummers on here have a ton of skill and education and style to have an informed, qualified opinion of travis barker: mainly that he sucks and is overrated. I for one cannot stand Mustard. It is my opinion that mustard sucks. To others Mustard is great. Does the fact that I think mustard sucks mean that I'm an idiot or that I shouldn't express my opinion that Mustard sucks? Now it might be difficult to have a real informed, qualified, expert opinion that thwarts all other's attempts at swaying me or someone about the virtues of Mustard but it's still an opinion and it's valid. I also think travis barker is a terrible but capable drummer - he has maintained a career as a drummer but he gets more praise than he deserves. Mainly I hate him because now all these little Xgames rapper d-bags are running around sporting the poser punk look calling themselves punks and ruining a subculture I hold very close and dear to my heart. And it's all his fault. Him and the morons who rapped that Butterfly Sugar song and the Cottonmouth Kings.

and just because someone says they're a punk doesn't mean they're a punk. it takes a little more than a bunch of tattoos and a mohawk (which puh diddy or diddy or whatever that retard calls himself was sporting a while ago) to make someone a punk.


but its still an opinion. informed as they may be.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon

Last edited by Moon_Type_Drummer; 05-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #938  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Matt-a-tat-tat Matt-a-tat-tat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
but its still an opinion. informed as they may be.

True. But for instance, a Cardiologist's opinion about your veins and heart is stronger and probably more important than some bum's on the street opinion even if the guy has read a book or two about Cardiology. Sure you could get a second or third or more opinions from other Cardiologists but that in no way diminishes the fact that Cardiologists' opinions are more valued than non-Cardiologists. Now of course health is more black and white than aesthetics but there are concrete things one can look at when determining that someone like Travis Barker sucks or a piece of art sucks and TRUE, in the end it all boils down to personal feelings and personal opinion. I could pee on the sidewalk and then punch myself in the nose and bleed on the pee, take a photo of it, call it art and of course at least one moron will agree with me. As a capable drummer who has forged a career as a drummer and can play a tune: Travis Barker does not suck. But taking in the totality of the contributions he's made to drumming: speed is the least important; and he's really not all that fast; he DOES suck. He hasn't done anything above and beyond, say, that nut Tre Cool from Green Day or even Sheila E for that matter. The only reason he's so famous is because he was in the prototype boy fake punk band: Blink 182. Much the same as Tommy Lee, if it hadn't been for Blink 182 and Motley Crue nobody would care about either Travis Barker nor Tommy Lee. In fact, Tommy Lee and Travis Barker may share the exact same amount of over-ratedness and sucktitude.
Reply With Quote
  #939  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 626
Default Re: Travis Barker

and then...there is the matter of Peter Criss.......
Reply With Quote
  #940  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-a-tat-tat View Post
True. But for instance, a Cardiologist's opinion about your veins and heart is stronger and probably more important than some bum's on the street opinion even if the guy has read a book or two about Cardiology. Sure you could get a second or third or more opinions from other Cardiologists but that in no way diminishes the fact that Cardiologists' opinions are more valued than non-Cardiologists. Now of course health is more black and white than aesthetics but there are concrete things one can look at when determining that someone like Travis Barker sucks or a piece of art sucks and TRUE, in the end it all boils down to personal feelings and personal opinion. I could pee on the sidewalk and then punch myself in the nose and bleed on the pee, take a photo of it, call it art and of course at least one moron will agree with me. As a capable drummer who has forged a career as a drummer and can play a tune: Travis Barker does not suck. But taking in the totality of the contributions he's made to drumming: speed is the least important; and he's really not all that fast; he DOES suck. He hasn't done anything above and beyond, say, that nut Tre Cool from Green Day or even Sheila E for that matter. The only reason he's so famous is because he was in the prototype boy fake punk band: Blink 182. Much the same as Tommy Lee, if it hadn't been for Blink 182 and Motley Crue nobody would care about either Travis Barker nor Tommy Lee. In fact, Tommy Lee and Travis Barker may share the exact same amount of over-ratedness and sucktitude.

thats a good point.

and if one more reality show comes up on MTV about some ex rock star, i think ill puke.
and in further response to your earlier post, its really wrong and ignorant for someone to judge you and call someone an idiot or moron when it comes to their own opinion. i deal with that crap all the time and i totally agree with you.

it totally pisses me off.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #941  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
but its still an opinion. informed as they may be.
Did you read anything I wrote above?

For the 500th time, the primary issue is this.

Example:

Fanboy: X Drummer is so cool because he is the fastest ever. I love him.

Other Guy: No he isn't the fastest ever. In fact his strokes were subjected to computer analysis showing that he is merely of average speed. Look, here is the data.

Fanboy: That is your opinion. My opinion is that X Drummer is the fastest and coolest drummer ever. If you will not let me have my opinion you are an elitest snob.

You can find some version of this conversation in almost every thread where hero worship is present. Such claims aren't opinions. That's about keeping the legend alive in face of actual facts.

The irony of this argument is that I actually like most of the drummers who are worshipped like this. But the discussions about them are pretty frustrating, because the fanboy crowd could care less about having a real objective conversation, while always pulling the you're picking on me card when they can't think of anything else to say.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #942  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Did you read anything I wrote above?

For the 500th time, the primary issue is this.

Example:

Fanboy: X Drummer is so cool because he is the fastest ever. I love him.

Other Guy: No he isn't the fastest ever. In fact his strokes were subjected to computer analysis showing that he is merely of average speed. Look, here is the data.

Fanboy: That is your opinion. My opinion is that X Drummer is the fastest and coolest drummer ever. If you will not let me have my opinion you are an elitest snob.

You can find some version of this conversation in almost every thread where hero worship is present. Such claims aren't opinions. That's about keeping the legend alive in face of actual facts.

The irony of this argument is that I actually like most of the drummers who are worshipped like this. But the discussions about them are pretty frustrating, because the fanboy crowd could care less about having a real objective conversation, while always pulling the you're picking on me card when they can't think of anything else to say.


yea. i agree with you full on. but its almost impossible to change someone like thats opinion. thats whats wrong with a lot of people these days. theyre so ignorant to what THEY think is cool and awesome or whatever that they stay firm in that belief no matter what you throw at them.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #943  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 PM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 626
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Did you read anything I wrote above?

For the 500th time, the primary issue is this.

Example:

Fanboy: X Drummer is so cool because he is the fastest ever. I love him.

Other Guy: No he isn't the fastest ever. In fact his strokes were subjected to computer analysis showing that he is merely of average speed. Look, here is the data.

Fanboy: That is your opinion. My opinion is that X Drummer is the fastest and coolest drummer ever. If you will not let me have my opinion you are an elitest snob.

You can find some version of this conversation in almost every thread where hero worship is present. Such claims aren't opinions. That's about keeping the legend alive in face of actual facts.

The irony of this argument is that I actually like most of the drummers who are worshipped like this. But the discussions about them are pretty frustrating, because the fanboy crowd could care less about having a real objective conversation, while always pulling the you're picking on me card when they can't think of anything else to say.
Peter Criss is the best drummer because they even said it..."you wanted the best and you got it the hottest band in the world...KISS"

Oy Vey......;-)
Reply With Quote
  #944  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Peter Criss is the best drummer because they even said it..."you wanted the best and you got it the hottest band in the world...KISS"

Oy Vey......;-)


thats cool.
go to a peter criss thread then, man.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #945  
Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
thats cool.
go to a peter criss thread then, man.
Hehe, noob



......
Reply With Quote
  #946  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Hehe, noob



......

yea? so? whats your point?
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #947  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 PM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 626
Default Re: Travis Barker

ah yes....let it be said....irony....is.....dead.
Reply With Quote
  #948  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

yea, im a noob.

educate me.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #949  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:25 PM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 626
Default Re: Travis Barker

I was referring to the "Peter Criss is the best" thing......
Reply With Quote
  #950  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

yea, I know.
i was just sayin, im pretty new to all this.
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #951  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
yea, im a noob.

educate me.
It's friendly sarcasm man. It's coming your way because after being here 20 minutes, you said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
a lot of people on this forum have to be asked this question;
whats your definition of "the best"? .
1. To say this you assume a whole lot, including the fact that no one here has considered that question over 4 years.

2. We weren't engaged in a the best conversation anyway. We were talking about how fanboys react to their heroes including Travis Barker, including how they label those who don't agree with them snobs. For several days you kept posting away, while some were wondering if you were actually reading what others were saying.

Nobody's trying to be a jerk man, and welcome to the discussion. But this identical behavior is what is usually seen on a Barker/Jordison/Peart/Bonham/Rich thread, and I'm not sure how it helps anything.

I'm just going to back off and lurk for awhile. A lot of repeat discussions going on today at the same time.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:46 PM
druid's Avatar
druid druid is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 626
Default Re: Travis Barker

Matt if you think the Bonzo/Peart/Portnoy crowd is bad...you should check out the comments on youtube for Criss/Carr/Singer....if I am to believe what is written...each one is...in fact..."the best drummer who has ever lived"...;-)

Oy Vey....
Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Moon_Type_Drummer's Avatar
Moon_Type_Drummer Moon_Type_Drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
It's friendly sarcasm man. It's coming your way because after being here 20 minutes, you said this:



1. To say this you assume a whole lot, including the fact that no one here has considered that question over 4 years.

2. We weren't engaged in a the best conversation anyway. We were talking about how fanboys react to their heroes including Travis Barker, including how they label those who don't agree with them snobs. For several days you kept posting away, while some were wondering if you were actually reading what others were saying.

Nobody's trying to be a jerk man, and welcome to the discussion. But this identical behavior is what is usually seen on a Barker/Jordison/Peart/Bonham/Rich thread, and I'm not sure how it helps anything.

I'm just going to back off and lurk for awhile. A lot of repeat discussions going on today at the same time.


i apologize. i suppose i am in a little over my head here, if you know what i mean. im kinda just tryin to get into the convo. but maybe not in the best way. but it comes down to a big inferiority complex in the forum. a lot of people here are really good, experienced drummers who have had training and lessons, and im kinda just a 17 yr old kid with no formal training having conversations with seasoned percussionists.

ya know?
__________________
To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder.-Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #954  
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Type_Drummer View Post
i apologize. i suppose i am in a little over my head here, if you know what i mean. im kinda just tryin to get into the convo. but maybe not in the best way. but it comes down to a big inferiority complex in the forum. a lot of people here are really good, experienced drummers who have had training and lessons, and im kinda just a 17 yr old kid with no formal training having conversations with seasoned percussionists.

ya know?
Yep, I do know man. I'm the same age as you. There are a lot of places I can go to on the net and feel like I don't get it either. I feel confused on drum forums all the time. But you might want to hang around at these kinda places and and get a feel for stuff before saying stuff that looks like you're calling them out. There are also a bunch of talented young guys here you can talk to. In fact this is probably the only drum forum where younger guys with a clue get respect.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 05-17-2008, 02:55 PM
foursticks's Avatar
foursticks foursticks is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 990
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer.
I know this discussion has died down a bit, but I think this must be said:

You don't need to have skill and ability to judge every drummer. What a silly comment. After all, we're the most important people, right? We're the listener, it's our reaction that's most important otherwise how would he earn his money?
You don't have to be a pro in order to judge a pro. It's been said thousands of times - it's OPINION.
If we went by what you said, then really we couldn't even say Travis was good unless we were professional drummers ourselves.
Alright, I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just wanted to point out the flaw in that part of your quite angry post.

Le Fin.
__________________
"You can play a shoestring if your sincere." - John Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
drummer_kid drummer_kid is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
I know this discussion has died down a bit, but I think this must be said:

You don't need to have skill and ability to judge every drummer. What a silly comment. After all, we're the most important people, right? We're the listener, it's our reaction that's most important otherwise how would he earn his money?
You don't have to be a pro in order to judge a pro. It's been said thousands of times - it's OPINION.
If we went by what you said, then really we couldn't even say Travis was good unless we were professional drummers ourselves.
Alright, I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just wanted to point out the flaw in that part of your quite angry post.

Le Fin.
well said!
though i must add that while you don't need to be a pro to judge the pro, it's helps your opinion if you knew SOMETHING about drumming in general
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 PM
ihitdrumz's Avatar
ihitdrumz ihitdrumz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 64
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer_kid View Post
well said!
though i must add that while you don't need to be a pro to judge the pro, it's helps your opinion if you knew SOMETHING about drumming in general
Yeh,
but I'm sure none of us are better than buddy rich,
but we all know that he is better than us
__________________
me likey
Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Garvin's Avatar
Garvin Garvin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern USA
Posts: 1,946
Default Re: Travis Barker

I just read an interesting interview with Gil Sharone in a back issue of MD where he talked about having to take one of Travis's European gigs with some band witht the number 44 in it (sorry, I don't remember what it was called)... He talked about how he basically memorized all the songs and parts during his flight from CA to Germany. Gil is someone I haven't listened to a lot of, but it seems like he's a really solid drummer.

Kind of a left-field post there I realize, but related to this threads namesake nonetheless.
__________________
http://www.gregvdrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #959  
Old 06-07-2008, 11:58 PM
foursticks's Avatar
foursticks foursticks is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 990
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer_kid View Post
well said!
though i must add that while you don't need to be a pro to judge the pro, it's helps your opinion if you knew SOMETHING about drumming in general
Of course, that's how you can form opinions fairly - by knowing both sides of the arguement and something about the issue. You still don't have to be an expert to have one.
__________________
"You can play a shoestring if your sincere." - John Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #960  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 AM
darkstar442's Avatar
darkstar442 darkstar442 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 181
Default Re: Travis Barker

Well he is a good drummer but i just hate that people think he is "the best" drummer. when actually there a so many better drummers than him. He isnt all that fast but people who only know famous bands think the drummers are the best and fastest. But i guess we'll just live with it unless someone has some protest signs... but thats probly to much to ask
__________________
"Music is the only thing that makes since any more, cherish it, dont waste it."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com